Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Haggins posted:

My favorite shuttle launch photos are those where the photographer tries to do something no one else has done before. Now I have no idea if some hasn’t tried this before, but these are some of the best I’ve seen:

Wait- with the second one, is it the shuttle causing those cloud formations? Like smoke rings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Paragon8 posted:

Wait- with the second one, is it the shuttle causing those cloud formations? Like smoke rings?
I think it's the government mind control chemicals they use to make you buy Disney merchandise exhaust trail behind blown around by wind

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Paragon8 posted:

Yeah, it does that every now and then. I'm not exactly sure why.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
That second shot is awesome. The smoke rings and colors are very :aaaaa:

The first one however... it just... doesn't seem as special. To me it's about as silly as someone doing a 10 second exposure and writing "dix" with their cell phone or something. I know this isn't PAD, but what the hell, right?

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

The disney logo animation has a shooting star rainbow thing* that goes up and around, the shuttle makes half of it!

*i think it's tinkerbell

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Dread Head posted:

Sony manufactures the Nikon sensors but they are designed by Nikon.

Nope, they are pretty much the same sensors, designed and fabricated by Sony.

The D700/D3/D3s sensor is fabbed by Samsung, though.

What's different about Nikon is their ADCs (if not using on-chip) and the options used such as CFAs or low pass filters. These are well later in the pipeline than the actual sensor. Since Sony Semiconductor is one of the world's largest semiconductor manufacturers, they tend to work with their customers (which consist of Nikon, Pentax, Canon, and yes Sony's own digital camera division) to tweak what they do for what a customer wants. Ultimately the design and R&D comes down to the semiconductor manufacturer and the compromises they make in production.

Ultimately, the Nikon/Sony relationship will probably continue for the time being as currently Sony is the only fab that can stand toe-to-toe with Canon. Nikon tried semiconductors once already and crashed and burned.

While Not Invented here is big in Japanese circles, these types of risk sharing businesses are not unusual. Look to their participation in aerospace and automotive engineering to see similar shenanigans.

quote:

I cannot wait till Sony´s back illuminated sensors make it into DSLRs. They have so much more R&D money than Nikon/canon it's not even funny.

Back-illuminated technology only gives gains on very, very dense sensors (e.g. small pocket camera sensors). The marginal gains on a larger sensor with bigger photosites is much less pronounced.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kefkafloyd posted:

Back-illuminated technology only gives gains on very, very dense sensors (e.g. small pocket camera sensors). The marginal gains on a larger sensor with bigger photosites is much less pronounced.
Do you have a source/explanation for this? Now I'm curious.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

kefkafloyd posted:

Even if this is true (like evil_bunny I want to see a source on this), so were gapless microlenses, 12 bit < 14 bit < 16 bit, etc. Every one of these improvements gives us a leg up, and for people like me that upgrade bodies on a 5+ year timeline, that amounts to quite a significant upgrade when you finally do bump.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

poopinmymouth posted:

Even if this is true (like evil_bunny I want to see a source on this), so were gapless microlenses, 12 bit < 14 bit < 16 bit, etc. Every one of these improvements gives us a leg up, and for people like me that upgrade bodies on a 5+ year timeline, that amounts to quite a significant upgrade when you finally do bump.

The word is from Sony's mouths.

The main reason is because on the smaller sensor the electronics take up proportionally more space on the smaller sensors relative to the photosites than the larger ones. The idea of back-illuminated CMOS is to get the electronics behind the photosites to allow more light through. This brings massive gains on the small sensors where SNR is already impacted due to density. However, on bigger pixels, the support electronics take up a lot less space compared to the photosites and you're already getting the most light in there. The gains would be marginal or perhaps even nonexistent.

The law of diminishing returns be a cruel mistress.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/21/enthusiastic-shutterbug-immortalizes-nikon-on-his-forearm/#continued

Awful Nikon tattoo that looks like a penis if you squint.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Ringo R posted:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/21/enthusiastic-shutterbug-immortalizes-nikon-on-his-forearm/#continued

I feel like we should be laughing at him for the fact that the camera is set to program mode and there's no hood on that lens.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
According to DPReview's new review on the Canon S90, the sensor in it is made by Sony.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Ringo R posted:

If I were tattoo artist and got one of those requests I'd be sure to make the camera I tattooed be set to Full Auto

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

HPL posted:

According to DPReview's new review on the Canon S90, the sensor in it is made by Sony.

Finally, they get round to reviewing it.

Is it my imagination, or are they getting slower and slower at reviewing stuff?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

spog posted:

Finally, they get round to reviewing it.

Is it my imagination, or are they getting slower and slower at reviewing stuff?

It varies a lot. Sometimes they'll review stuff before anyone else, sometimes like with the S90 it's so late they almost might as well not bother.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Someone pointed this out on my local craigslist.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 8, 2010

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

BeastOfExmoor posted:

If I shot Canon I would own the gently caress out of that.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Buy it. That's how much a regular 50/1.8 costs new -- you could undoubtedly sell a white one for 2-3 times (or more!) what you paid for it to the right Canon fanboy.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
So I just found this video. I had no idea that content-aware fill could do so much!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ScWu7pG7r0

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

orange lime posted:

So I just found this video. I had no idea that content-aware fill could do so much!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ScWu7pG7r0
It was really a mindfuck at the end when I had to pause, open Facebook in another window, and cross-reference to be sure those weren't actually two girls I know.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Season finale of house shot entirely on a 5d :)

http://photocinenews.com/2010/04/08/house-season-finale-shot-on-canon-5d/

brad industry
May 22, 2004
I have worked with a lot of video people recently who have declared the RED cameras completely dead, and that the 5Ds/7Ds are the future. The majority of non-hero footage on TV is already being shot on them.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Ahh the "novelty" position of video on a DSLR body is going to be harder and harder to stand behind.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
I haven't met anyone in video production who thinks they are a novelty, it's a big deal. This is the filmmaking equivalent of the first affordable DSLRs, you can shoot better footage with less production.

And on that topic, can anyone recommend music videos that were shot on DSLRs? I found this stop motion one that's pretty cool but I want to see real video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvNZKQ8gywY&feature=player_embedded

I'm shooting a music video soon, probably on a 5D/7D, pretty excited about it.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
If it drives the price of the cameras down, I'm all for it.

If they start jacking up the price because of this hot new feature, I'll be agin' it!

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

brad industry posted:

I have worked with a lot of video people recently who have declared the RED cameras completely dead, and that the 5Ds/7Ds are the future. The majority of non-hero footage on TV is already being shot on them.

Quite often nowadays when I go to a small concert and there's a video guy or crew, they're using DSLRs. Very few full-on video cameras aside from camcorders.

brad industry posted:

And on that topic, can anyone recommend music videos that were shot on DSLRs? I found this stop motion one that's pretty cool but I want to see real video:

Some Iranian band shot a music video with nothing but a Canon 1DMkIII blazing away:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lfQHqGOPYA

Again, not what you're looking for, but neat all the same.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Question regarding D2x color modes for D300. Has anyone shot with them yet?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0711/07112701nikond2xmode.asp

Do you prefer these modes to what shipped with the D300?

Im noticing that they might actually be better in terms of color pre-post than the original color profiles that came with the D300. Am i seeing things?

Musket fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 9, 2010

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand

brad industry posted:

I haven't met anyone in video production who thinks they are a novelty, it's a big deal. This is the filmmaking equivalent of the first affordable DSLRs, you can shoot better footage with less production.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvNZKQ8gywY&feature=player_embedded

I'm shooting a music video soon, probably on a 5D/7D, pretty excited about it.

*still* maybe not quite what you're looking for, but there are several videos from last year's Nine Inch Nails tour shot by Rob Sheridan, the band's art director. He apparently used a 5dmkII with a nifty fifty for the whole show.

Another release, The Gift, I *believe* was all shot on 5D's, but the only reference I can find just says 'consumer HD camera' so I can't say for sure.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
I've seen a bunch of live stuff I'm more interested in stuff that was a little more produced.

This is a pretty simple idea executed really well
http://vimeo.com/3600278

That guy's other videos are all really good and I think shot with the same setup.

A little more typical music video
http://vimeo.com/4434571

Guy who did that talks about using CS4 Camera Raw to color grade the footage:
http://www.cinema5d.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2474&p=16300#p16300

brad industry fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 9, 2010

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
This is a short film I made in February using a D90, not really a music video proper but it's musical in nature

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGmnFGnXelw

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

What would be the best video editing software for a beginner - is there a LR type equivalent?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Paragon8 posted:

What would be the best video editing software for a beginner - is there a LR type equivalent?
Long ago I edited some video with literally no background in editing at all on iMovie and then Final Cut Express. It was amazingly easy.

Not that it was necessarily quality, but learning the controls and abilities of the software was easy.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Interrupting Moss posted:

Long ago I edited some video with literally no background in editing at all on iMovie and then Final Cut Express. It was amazingly easy.

Not that it was necessarily quality, but learning the controls and abilities of the software was easy.

I tired using iMovie but seemed to get frustrated by adding an mp3 audio track to the video and slowing it down.

Am I just being retarded?

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I am curious tho, do they just focus manually with the 5d and 7d?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ease posted:

Yeah, most non-consumer video is actually shot manually focused.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Yeah, most non-consumer video is actually shot manually focused.

Yeah...imagine how great it would be to be shooting 80 feet of film per minute while the camera's autofocus racks in and out because of a reflection on a car passing by.

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

I don't have any real prospects of making any part of my living from photography, so keep that in mind with this statement. After a week of travel/vacation to various parks and places, I'm beginning to wonder if the DSLR format is right for me. The crop of the more affordable (sub-$1900) bodies, the viewfinders that are darker than my 30 year-old cameras, and size in general have me looking at the Micro 4/3rds. I don't need to do billboard shots, and likely never will- and I am seriously questioning how the DSLR market is going to keep me.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

hybr1d posted:

I don't have any real prospects of making any part of my living from photography, so keep that in mind with this statement. After a week of travel/vacation to various parks and places, I'm beginning to wonder if the DSLR format is right for me. The crop of the more affordable (sub-$1900) bodies, the viewfinders that are darker than my 30 year-old cameras, and size in general have me looking at the Micro 4/3rds. I don't need to do billboard shots, and likely never will- and I am seriously questioning how the DSLR market is going to keep me.

Do you shoot full frame? While it's not as good as an old OM or anything, the finder on the full frame DSLR's is a lot nicer than the crops. 5D1's are hovering around a grand or a bit over.

I've felt the same way at times though, for me it's the high ISO performance that keeps me with my Canon system more than anything. I don't shoot sports or action very often so shutter lag and all that aren't a huge issue, and I'd love something smaller for travel. But being able to crank it to ISO 1600 (3200 or higher when I'm shooting with a 5D2) and not really have to worry about it is great, and I'm really happy with my Canon lenses and the options I have open to me with the system. Whether I could go back to shooting with an LCD screen to compose on is an unknown, but I've been strongly considering selling off some film gear I don't use a lot and buying a secondhand EP1 to see how I like it.

On the other hand I've been getting in to 4x5 so maybe I just have a secret need to burden myself with unwieldy photographic equipment. If I'm already carting that poo poo around on trips I don't think a 5D is really too much to ask :v:

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

ease posted:

Yes. For someone that actually has a crew you would have a focus puller who pretty much just keeps stuff in focus and makes sure its all going alright.

Which is why lenses like these http://photocinenews.com/2010/02/18/zeiss-unveils-new-dslr-cine-lens/ are much more handy for getting spot on focus. You can set your mark and hit it whereas its much harder with a normal lens where the markings are usually quite narrow and harder to pinpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Do you shoot full frame? While it's not as good as an old OM or anything, the finder on the full frame DSLR's is a lot nicer than the crops. 5D1's are hovering around a grand or a bit over.

I've felt the same way at times though, for me it's the high ISO performance that keeps me with my Canon system more than anything. I don't shoot sports or action very often so shutter lag and all that aren't a huge issue, and I'd love something smaller for travel. But being able to crank it to ISO 1600 (3200 or higher when I'm shooting with a 5D2) and not really have to worry about it is great, and I'm really happy with my Canon lenses and the options I have open to me with the system. Whether I could go back to shooting with an LCD screen to compose on is an unknown, but I've been strongly considering selling off some film gear I don't use a lot and buying a secondhand EP1 to see how I like it.

On the other hand I've been getting in to 4x5 so maybe I just have a secret need to burden myself with unwieldy photographic equipment. If I'm already carting that poo poo around on trips I don't think a 5D is really too much to ask :v:

I took 3 cameras with me on my trip. Here's the summary of each one:

Nikon D80:
Good camera, but the technical limitations (noise is noticeable as low as ISO 800, crop). I ditched my battery grip and took just it and a rented 24-35 1.8. Very acceptable weight until I had to start two-handing trail obstacles, then it was a liability/risk. Overall the best camera of the trip so far for photos- getting reliable light readings in the woods with spots of heavy shade and full sun is nothing short of a crapshoot. Being able to easily bracket was a huge help, not to mention reviewing them- but the tiny LCD, dark viewfinder (typical on a 2-3 year old model??) made it a pain at times.

Bronica ETRSi:
A tank, and my biggest mistake was not bringing a shoulder strap. It was too heavy to ask my small wife or kids to carry on the hike, so I only got a few shots close to the main part of the park. It only got brought on one trip due to its size. We'll have to see how the pics turn out, because of obvious developing delays/costs for color film.

Crown Speed Graphic:
I took a total of 2 photos with this, not only because of logistics of such a camera in the park, but also because I forgot to take the changing bag with me, making the $80 of film unusable.

Logistics played heavily into this, and I'm not even bringing up trips to the museums where a smaller camera would have been far easier on the shoulder. I have considered a full-frame, but another $2500 investment into something that may work just as well for me on a 4/3rds and some older glass.