Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Hey those are great looking. Needs more tanx though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Chenghiz posted:

Hey those are great looking. Needs more tanx though.

Yeah that's why I've got to sell them because I totally can't afford tanks and artillery and planes and tank destroyers and aaaaaaah :v:

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Just don't by FOW official miniatures. Plenty of other cheaper options out there.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Serotonin posted:

Just don't by FOW official miniatures. Plenty of other cheaper options out there.

Real wargamers gather beer cans for cash and only play with 1/72 plastic kits inside their cardboard box homes.

E: 20 ragtag krauts painted, pics tomorrow.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 4, 2010

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
Real wargamers use beer cans as tanks :colbert:.

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007

No Pun Intended posted:

Real wargamers use beer cans as tanks :colbert:.

those are MY CONVERSIONS and the warboss of WAAAGH: Steel Reserve demands an apology.

Devlan Mud, please reconsider getting out of FoW, your local gaming group needs WWII gamers that don't unironically love nazis.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

lilljonas posted:

Real wargamers gather beer cans for cash and only play with 1/72 plastic kits inside their cardboard box homes.

E: 20 ragtag krauts painted, pics tomorrow.

You mock but Ive played Warmaster with lego blocks and Polemos with MDF bases with the unit names written on them

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Here are some of the pretty pics from the NZ National wargame convention held in Upper Hutt, NZ.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

Oh sweet, how was Natcon? I was going to go but other things got in the way.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
It was great. I was tired, sick and ran the FOW comp which consisted on 3 seperate competitions (early,mid,late). I survived without going insane so I count that as a successful weekend.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Oh haha, sorry I missed it then. Unless someone else was running it too, I know you and you know me (with out naming names)

No Pun Intended fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Apr 5, 2010

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Oh great, now I get to play internet detective to find out who you are. For your entertainment here is a German 15cm battery.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Oh ok, you win - it's Phil. (Nice guns)

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
I think the Americans gave it away and the books on the table.

Here is some terrain. The Italy building is Johns. There were 25 tables in total.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
No Pun Intended fails to mention that we also had a great deal of fun with a couple of Mid-War tank battles - in essence, 3 Tigers facing 20ish T-34s and various assault guns.

The first time, some extraordinarily lucky shooting from the SU-85s and side shots from the T-34s managed to bail two of the Tigers, after which the Tigers fled the table, leaving the (somewhat reduced) Soviets in glorious victory.

The second time, deadly accurate rapid firing Tiger Aces slaughtered the Soviets - destroying virtually the entire Soviet company in short order.

Much fun had by all.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

LintMan posted:

Now y'see, I have nowhere to put it & don't play anything in that scale, but this just makes me want to build tons of terrain. It's brilliant.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

LintMan posted:

"Dammit Yuri! Why is whenever we ready move you tank is pointing wrong way? Is like you WANT to be execute."

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Totally grabbing some water-cooled M1917 HMGs today as retail therapy. And because I'm totally not selling my rifles.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Speaking of M1917s, does anyone think with the "success" of The Pacific that Battlefront may actually get around to doing rules for the PTO soon?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

It will include rules for wasting one out of every ten games on chasing skirts in Australia.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

PeterWeller posted:

It will include rules for wasting one out of every ten games on chasing skirts in Australia.

That's largely why I put "success" in quotes.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
All these Flames of War pictures are loving awesome.

I may dig out and re-post some of my Panzer-grens or US armour if anyone is interested.

Recently I've started a totally different scale of things with WWII 1/35 scale AFV's.

Here's a couple of the most recent.

A 76mm M4A3

And the first ever attempt at whitewash a t34/85:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Don't show me shermans, I just played my first FoW game and lost horribly as the Americans just drowned my in them. "Oh, you killed eight of my Shermans? Here's some more!"

The reason I lost though was that I didn't know how simple it is to take objectives in FoW, and the drat Americans just entered my rear with five truckloads of GIs. That's when I was told the objective rules, with me having nothing that hadn't been torn to shreds by Sherman machineguns in range. Serves me right.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

lilljonas posted:

Don't show me shermans, I just played my first FoW game and lost horribly as the Americans just drowned my in them. "Oh, you killed eight of my Shermans? Here's some more!"

The reason I lost though was that I didn't know how simple it is to take objectives in FoW, and the drat Americans just entered my rear with five truckloads of GIs. That's when I was told the objective rules, with me having nothing that hadn't been torn to shreds by Sherman machineguns in range. Serves me right.

sounds like someone needs to buy a few king tigers :smug:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

lilljonas posted:

the drat Americans just entered my rear

:911::quagmire::911:

We've specialized at that since 1775.

Jarofmoldymayo
Mar 5, 2008
Reading up on Flames of War seems I can get a panzerkompanie rolling for rondabouts 500 American bucks.

Would I also want a king tiger or two?

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Jarofmoldymayo posted:

Reading up on Flames of War seems I can get a panzerkompanie rolling for rondabouts 500 American bucks.

Would I also want a king tiger or two?

I'd say you could swing it for about $350 USD if you want a tourney sized force, it all depends on how much you want to get. And unless you're really looking to cut monetary costs, I'd avoid tigers. There's a ton of options for germans without having to go the super-heavy tank route.

Jarofmoldymayo
Mar 5, 2008

Devlan Mud posted:

I'd say you could swing it for about $350 USD if you want a tourney sized force, it all depends on how much you want to get. And unless you're really looking to cut monetary costs, I'd avoid tigers. There's a ton of options for germans without having to go the super-heavy tank route.

Well I was just asking if they were sufficiently awesome?

But yeah that seems like a rout I'd like to go. TANKS.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Fortress Europe king tigers are basically a stationary gun for a ton of points that will need to be hit by air support or artillery to die, ever. But you pay a ton of points for that stationary gun, and you can get cheaper ones on jagdtigers or PaK43s. Don't get me wrong, they are cool as hell, but they aren't really cost effective. But since you want to play germans, I'd say just get whatever you think is cool and go with it. Germans have a hell of a lot of sweet options, and different routes to go down. One of these days I'll do a STuG Batterie. :3:

By jagdtigers I mean jagdpanthers whoops. Aint no jagdtigers yet.

Devlan Mud fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 6, 2010

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Tigers are great at holding objectives and pushing forces away from them. I learnt from experience that Tigers are better to ignore than commit any large number of forces against it*.

*The counterpoint is if you can afford the troops a solitary tiger is very vulnerable to being rushed. Unless it is piloted by a "Death Kanone" tiger ace who has ROF 3 and re-rolls misses.

No Pun Intended fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Apr 7, 2010

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
As No Pun Intended, the trick to dealing with Tigers (ordinary or King) is mostly to ignore them and focus on other things.

The trick to using Tigers is to place them somewhere where they can't be ignored.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Germans are an awesome army to play simply because of the sheer variety of armour and gun units they can field. While it's not *really* feasible to get one platoon+ of every possible tank type it's very possible to do like I have and have the guts of three different companies which can *mostly* be used in one army if I feel the need. It breaks down as:

5 X StuG III.
4 X Panzer IV.
3 X Panzer III.
3 X Grenadier Platoon.
1 X Infantry command.

Allows me to make a Grenadierkompanie with Panzer platoon (IV or III depending on time and front) and assault gun platoon OR a panzer platoon made of StuGs, a Panzerkompanie using Panzer IV as the main tank, a Panzerkompanie using StuG III as the main tank. Flexibility goes a long way towards a happy wallet.

I'm looking at some Nebelwerfers and a 105 platoon to round out the force with artillery, then I'm pretty much done apart from whatever silliness takes my fancy.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 7, 2010

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

All the accelerant I had to spray to get these machine gun barrels in place is making me woozy. :350:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

big_g posted:

And the first ever attempt at whitewash a t34/85:

Absolutely loving gorgeous.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Fuckin' Flames of War, now I'm gonna have to start playing that drat game. Found I can pretty much make a 2k Mid War Ranger battalion for like 125$, and I'm all over that poo poo.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

S.J. posted:

Fuckin' Flames of War, now I'm gonna have to start playing that drat game. Found I can pretty much make a 2k Mid War Ranger battalion for like 125$, and I'm all over that poo poo.

125 bucks is a really good intro price, I'd say go for it. 2k for my late war GIs is looking close to 300-350 more bucks.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Devlan Mud posted:

125 bucks is a really good intro price, I'd say go for it. 2k for my late war GIs is looking close to 300-350 more bucks.

I thought my infantry Germans would be cheap until I tried the game and realized how many toys I'd want them to lug with them into battle. :smith:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I keep looking at FoW, and the models and rules seem awesome, but I absolutely cannot get past the Nazi stuff. :(

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

moths posted:

I keep looking at FoW, and the models and rules seem awesome, but I absolutely cannot get past the Nazi stuff. :(

They're doing a Vietnam game too, if that's any help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Are they actually expanding that past the battle of la drang valley box set? I was under the impression it was a one-off thing.

Pretty sure infantry armies end up being more expensive just because while the actual core of your force is cheap, the support is what bites you in the butt as far as cost go.