Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
So I checked out the Twist of the Wrist II DVD just for shits and giggles. I knew it probably wasn't going to be very good..but boy I wasn't prepared for what it had in store.

Throughout the entire 90 minutes they never shut up about getting rid of chicken strips and dragging knee/leaning off. I mean, it's not terrible -- there is decent advice about body positioning and lines but the editing is pretty sloppy and some of the crap in there just annoyed me. The chicken strip stuff specifically..I wonder how many new riders are going to watch the DVD and wind up throwing themselves off a mountain trying to get rid of their chicken strips. Kind of ridiculous. The first 1/4 of the DVD actually takes place on mountain roads too; though they did at least move everything to a track for the rest of it.

I wouldn't suggest buying the DVD, but if you, uh, have a 'friend' with it or something it's probably worth watching for fun. If nothing else the acting is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
I probably have the worlds biggest chicken strips from my long road trips road trips :mmmsmug:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

-Inu- posted:

So I checked out the Twist of the Wrist II DVD just for shits and giggles. I knew it probably wasn't going to be very good..but boy I wasn't prepared for what it had in store.

Throughout the entire 90 minutes they never shut up about getting rid of chicken strips and dragging knee/leaning off. I mean, it's not terrible -- there is decent advice about body positioning and lines but the editing is pretty sloppy and some of the crap in there just annoyed me. The chicken strip stuff specifically..I wonder how many new riders are going to watch the DVD and wind up throwing themselves off a mountain trying to get rid of their chicken strips. Kind of ridiculous. The first 1/4 of the DVD actually takes place on mountain roads too; though they did at least move everything to a track for the rest of it.

I wouldn't suggest buying the DVD, but if you, uh, have a 'friend' with it or something it's probably worth watching for fun. If nothing else the acting is hilarious.

The twist DVDs have always been hilariously horrible. Also, I don't think those are chicken strips...looks like a roached ex track tire. Unless they're pointing to the tiny strip of original color tire around the very, very outside of it? :iiam:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Bucephalus posted:

That leaves but one possibility: telekinesis. :ms:

Ahem. It's called pyrokinesis. :smugbert:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
drat, is there something better out there than Twist II? I got the DVD and was taking it seriously. Well, most of it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
No, the books are better but in terms of DVD goodness, you're not gonna find much worthwhile.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

-Inu- posted:

Where do they find public streets that allow you to safely get to the lean angles required to scrub in the entire tire outside of doing slow figure 8s in a parking lot? Those "chicken strips" are smaller than the ones on my 250 and I rail mad twisties.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

frozenphil posted:

Where do they find public streets that allow you to safely get to the lean angles required to scrub in the entire tire outside of doing slow figure 8s in a parking lot? Those "chicken strips" are smaller than the ones on my 250 and I rail mad twisties.

It's a lot harder to get to the edges of the tires on the smaller bikes. They not only deform the tire less under the throttle, they also have a smaller overall contact patch so you have to lean it farther than you would on a bigger tire to get it to go all the way to the edge. Depending on profile, tire and suspension setup, it may be physically impossible to erase your chicken strips without dragging frame.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

:hellyeah:

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Share your secret source damnit :ese:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Z3n posted:

It's a lot harder to get to the edges of the tires on the smaller bikes. They not only deform the tire less under the throttle, they also have a smaller overall contact patch so you have to lean it farther than you would on a bigger tire to get it to go all the way to the edge. Depending on profile, tire and suspension setup, it may be physically impossible to erase your chicken strips without dragging frame.

Makes sense. At least now I don't have to feel like a pussy for my chicken strips.

I got to pass a GSX-R 600 on the outside the other day. I was following him up my local fun road and he kept parking it in the corners. I got fed up with it and just dove around him so he would stop loving up my corner speed. Going up a mountain, my little 250 needs to maintain all the speed it can. :(

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
http://discussions.baltimoresun.com/20/balnews/bal-motorcyclist-jfx0405/10

Waiting for that invention where you can reach through a computer screen and punch someone...

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Waiting for that invention where you can reach through a computer screen and punch someone...
I dunno, I agree with two of the three first posts on that page at the moment...

quote:

lovesmesports at 2:27 PM April 5, 2010

We came upon the accident soon after it happened, before the road was closed off, before any ambulence and only one police car was at the scene. We could tell there wasn't another vehicle involved. It took place in the "snake" part of the JFX, a dangerous spot for any motorist. We saw her lifeless body lying on the road. Her black sneakers were tossed about the road. Her head was free of a helmet, I don't know if it was on the road or if she wasn't wearing one. At any rate, it was a sad sight to see, especially on Easter. So for those who want to point fingers and say all the bad things that are listed on here, know that a woman lost her life yesterday. Let her rest in peace, will ya?

quote:

mdbalt at 2:12 PM April 5, 2010

I love the gross generalizations going around in this thread. You see some morons (which are considered idiots by the majority of motorcyclists) screwing around in shorts and a t-shirt on 95 and immediately everyone makes the assumption that all motorcyclists are crazyed "suicide jockets".

If I made that kind of generalization with cars, every driver in Maryland would be someone who is completely oblivious of their surroundings, never uses their turn signal, and veers in ranom directions without notice at any point in time. The ironic thing is that the car generalization is probably closer to the truth than the motorcycle one.

Most major motorcycle injuries I have seen was a result of some ditz in an SUV making a left turn and not paying attention to traffic, causing a motorcycle to crash into it. Motorcycling is generally a dangerous sport, not because people can't ride motorcycles, but because everyone else can't drive a car.

Seems pretty reasonable to me....

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

One guess what kind of bike this guy rides. :jerkbag:

quote:

Just because you are a Cry Baby and Mommies Wittle Baby with no Heart and scared of your own shadow does not mean we REAL people cannot enjoy LIFE to the Fullest.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Share your two-up tips and tricks. I've put down maybe 3-4,000 miles with a passenger so far but I'm looking for ways to make it more enjoyable on my CBR. Particularly with hard braking.

MY BALLS

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Doctor Zero posted:

One guess what kind of bike this guy rides. :jerkbag:
I'm gonna have to go with... E. None of the above.

You actually have to RIDE it.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Drove past that last night around 5:50 heading Southbound dragging my cycle into the city, shitload of cop cars/ambulances everywhere.

83 is a lovely road coming into/out of the city.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

frozenphil posted:

Your tire is most likely properly inflated. If you decrease your PSI it increases your contact patch and grip. I barely leaned on my bike and the chicken stripe is smaller than people who drag knee on tires with more inflation.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jack the Smack posted:

Your tire is most likely properly inflated. If you decrease your PSI it increases your contact patch and grip. I barely leaned on my bike and the chicken stripe is smaller than people who drag knee on tires with more inflation.

It increases your grip until the tire overheats and it dumps you on your rear end. Also, too much deflection can cause other issues, like excessively straining the cords in your tires, to the point of them breaking. Tires require proper pressure to function correctly.

And knee down doesn't require a lot of lean angle. See avatar.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Jabs posted:

I dunno, I agree with two of the three first posts on that page at the moment...

Seems pretty reasonable to me....

The second one was me :)

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Share your two-up tips and tricks. I've put down maybe 3-4,000 miles with a passenger so far but I'm looking for ways to make it more enjoyable on my CBR. Particularly with hard braking.

MY BALLS

In regards to your balls, have your passenger put their hands on your tank to brace themselves under hard braking, rather than sliding up against you.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003
I'm looking for a motorcycle headlight fairing for my naked bike. Something similar to this (but not $400, more in the 50-100 range):

Would prefer universal, but if not, that's cool to as I can probably fab my own connectors for it. Any recommendations from the goons on this?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is something like this too small? http://holeshot.com/holeshot/hs_flyscreen.shtml

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

blugu64 posted:

Any of you socal guys out riding during the quake? If so, how was it?

I was riding* out by the poppies in good ol' Lancaster and didn't feel a thing.

*...in a Kia Rio

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

Phat_Albert posted:

Is something like this too small? http://holeshot.com/holeshot/hs_flyscreen.shtml

That is PERFECT. Thank you!

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

ari.gato posted:

I'm looking for a motorcycle headlight fairing for my naked bike. Something similar to this (but not $400, more in the 50-100 range):

I have the one below on my bike (National Cycle F-16) and its pretty good. It blocks the wind from my chest area pretty well, which is what bothered me the most when I was commuting to work in the cold morning or going really fast. My only beef with it is that it seems to create all sorts of turbulent air just above where the windshield ends, which creates all sorts of noise inside my helmet.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Anyone want some CBR parts?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Last night. Riding KTM back home through a monsoon @ 70 MPH. Rain hits so hard on your open face helmet and neck, like being shot by little BB's consantly. So the solution: Take my scarf, cover my face, and ride with the scarf over my face. Brilliant. Issue: Scarf is now soaked with water and I can no longer breathe through it. Choices: Take off scarf and suffer immense pain constantly for the remaining 30 minute drive home. Gasp and wheeze for breath for the remainder. I chose to strangle myself and not get shot with rain anymore. Rain worse than I'd seen it in years. Que me, inside my little offroad helmet and goggles, wrapped in leather, drinking water through my scarf (refreshing!), not breathing, laughing my rear end off at it all and screaming "I LOVE MOTORCYCLES" in madness as I fight for traction in an inch to 3 inches of standing water on track destroyed tires in the HOV lane.

:shobon:

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Spiffness posted:

Last night. Riding KTM back home through a monsoon @ 70 MPH. Rain hits so hard on your open face helmet and neck, like being shot by little BB's consantly. So the solution: Take my scarf, cover my face, and ride with the scarf over my face. Brilliant. Issue: Scarf is now soaked with water and I can no longer breathe through it. Choices: Take off scarf and suffer immense pain constantly for the remaining 30 minute drive home. Gasp and wheeze for breath for the remainder. I chose to strangle myself and not get shot with rain anymore. Rain worse than I'd seen it in years. Que me, inside my little offroad helmet and goggles, wrapped in leather, drinking water through my scarf (refreshing!), not breathing, laughing my rear end off at it all and screaming "I LOVE MOTORCYCLES" in madness as I fight for traction in an inch to 3 inches of standing water on track destroyed tires in the HOV lane.

:shobon:

This is absolutely insane

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

redscare posted:

This is absolutely insane

better lock him up

in the...

...~~|cYcLe AsYlUm|~~...

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

frozenphil posted:

Exactly. It feels like the DVD is condoning people riding at track speeds and lean angles when they are in the mountains.

Edit: So it was 90 degrees today in Georgia. I went to the mountains around 2pm planning to stay until sunset. I only made 2 runs up and down the mountain before I checked my chain and noticed it was as loose as it could physically be. I went home right after that because I was afraid it was going to jump a tooth. :saddowns:

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 7, 2010

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I do most of my riding alone and sometimes far from home. I've also had a few mechanical problems that have thankfully never left me stranded. I'm thinking of getting a AAA-like service that I can call in case I break down. Also, my car's warranty is almost up, so I'd like something that could cover both the bike and the car. Suggestions?

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

-Inu- posted:

I checked my chain and noticed it was as loose as it could physically be. I went home right after that because I was afraid it was going to jump a tooth. :saddowns:

The jumping a tooth isn't bad-if it wraps around your rear wheel and locks up, that would be bad. If it doesn't jump or wrap up your back wheel but jams into your case and breaks out a nice chunk, that's bad.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Aw man... way to dive a picture about trapped miners! STUPID CRUISERS! :argh:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Uthor posted:

I do most of my riding alone and sometimes far from home. I've also had a few mechanical problems that have thankfully never left me stranded. I'm thinking of getting a AAA-like service that I can call in case I break down. Also, my car's warranty is almost up, so I'd like something that could cover both the bike and the car. Suggestions?

The AMA offers a roadside assistance thing for free if you set your membership to automatically renew. It covers any vehicle in your family. Luckily I haven't had to use it, so I can't tell you how good it is.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Uthor posted:

You can get bike towing coverage from AAA for an additional fee (not sure how much) if you have a regular membership.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Deeters posted:

The AMA offers a roadside assistance thing for free if you set your membership to automatically renew. It covers any vehicle in your family. Luckily I haven't had to use it, so I can't tell you how good it is.

redscare posted:

You can get bike towing coverage from AAA for an additional fee (not sure how much) if you have a regular membership.

Thanks. The AMA one sounds nice, especially since they do other things for motorcycle riders, too. I'll check both to make sure it's what I need, though.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Doctor Zero posted:

Ahem. It's called pyrokinesis. :smugbert:

I suppose it would be. I stand corrected.

Crayvex posted:

Aw man... way to dive a picture about trapped miners! STUPID CRUISERS! :argh:

The bike don't wear the gear...thanks for stereotyping.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 7, 2010

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
It's always nice to work at my parents' place: lots of room in the garage to maneuver, lots of various tools around (somewhere), various bits of stuff lying around to MacGyver myself out of the situations I get into, mandatory 4:00pm tea & cookies...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Arg, the ZZR was smoking when I got to work (probably didn't seat the valve cover gasket correctly) and in my haste to look at it, I didn't put the key in my pocket like I usually do...and now the key is gone :(