Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Hazo posted:

Where would you read about this? I love behind the scenes stuff like this.

edit: I cringe a little every time they show the replay of Tori bashing his shin open on the concrete windowsill

Wiki.

quote:

She became involved in the show after persistently showing up at Hyneman's M5 Industries workshop in a desire to get hired at his company. On her first day as a paid employee, she was asked by Hyneman and MythBusters producer Peter Rees to help out with the "vacuum plane toilet" myth, and she was asked to model her buttocks for a cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

muscles like this? posted:

I want to know who was the retard who put Tory over a loving window? That could have permanently disabled him.

50:50 odds it was Tori himself.

Monsignor Martinez
Feb 12, 2010

by Peatpot

XK posted:

I also like her better than Kari. I can't figure out what Kari adds to the show. Jessi at least has tons of fabricating experience. Kari molds some ballistic gelatin, does some painting, then jumps around screaming when a myth is tested.
Hah, I was sayign this a few pages back and some roly poly goony goon got really mad in a white knighting fury.

I find Jessi amusing becuase she's so artificially chipper and bubbly, no doubt at the request of the producers, much like the replacement Lisa Simpson in the Simpson variety hour. Difference is, she quite clearly has technical qualifications Kari simply doesn't. Scotty did also, but her "Melissa Etheridge" look certainly wasn't meant to be eyecandy for anyone.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Monsignor Martinez posted:

I find Jessi amusing becuase she's so artificially chipper and bubbly, no doubt at the request of the producers, much like the replacement Lisa Simpson in the Simpson variety hour.
I find this to be her most annoying characteristic actually, but I agree that she's way more technically qualified than Kari.

Mike McC
Oct 9, 2009

Monsignor Martinez posted:

Hah, I was sayign this a few pages back and some roly poly goony goon got really mad in a white knighting fury.

I find Jessi amusing becuase she's so artificially chipper and bubbly, no doubt at the request of the producers, much like the replacement Lisa Simpson in the Simpson variety hour. Difference is, she quite clearly has technical qualifications Kari simply doesn't. Scotty did also, but her "Melissa Etheridge" look certainly wasn't meant to be eyecandy for anyone.
I really dislike them making the build team be hyper children. Grant can be pretty awesome when he's being himself (see his recent interview on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson), and it's easy to tell when it's him or it's the producers telling him to ham it up.

but yeah, Kari is kinda a poor fit, though she was better earlier on in the show.

Monsignor Martinez
Feb 12, 2010

by Peatpot

Mike McC posted:

I really dislike them making the build team be hyper children. Grant can be pretty awesome when he's being himself (see his recent interview on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson), and it's easy to tell when it's him or it's the producers telling him to ham it up.

but yeah, Kari is kinda a poor fit, though she was better earlier on in the show.
I've been a fan of the show since the beginning, and I don't actually mind the build team at all. I definitely don't share any of the vitriolic hatred for the trio some people here seem to - they're all pretty normal people who happen to be skilled in variou disciplines of engineering. Their youthful exuberance can work in nice relief to Adam/Jamie's masterclass stuntsmanship. That aside, I still believe 'megamyths' where they all work on the same project (which happen far less than they used to) to be some of their best work.

As for people who want to bitch and whine about how the show "ain't what it used to be", so what? This isn't the West Wing. They're still actively testing "what ifs", idioms and cliches, quite of few of which I've always wanted to know about.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I don't mind them either. I'd rather watch Tory get hurt constantly than watch Adam do a terrible foreign accent. I pretty much have to mute it whenever he starts talking like a pirate or a Scotsman or whatever he feels like.

Monsignor Martinez
Feb 12, 2010

by Peatpot
Yeah, I think everyone can agree on that. Can't believe no one has put a limit on that by now, it's only become more prolific over time. I like Adam and he's funny in concert with myths (unexpected reactions to results, "Am I missing an eyebrow" bloopers, physical myths/getting hit by Jamie on purpose), but whenever he tries to go it alone with some zany camp dialogue he dies up on stage, consistently.

P.L.O. style
Jan 4, 2009

Mike McC posted:

Tory's interview was pretty funny too, dude sounded like he'd been hitting the sauce in the green room.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub5NQKGBadg

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

P.L.O. style posted:

Tory's interview was pretty funny too, dude sounded like he'd been hitting the sauce in the green room.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub5NQKGBadg
Hahahahaha

Tori: "I was working with Jamie and Adam, we worked on Star Wars together."
Craig: "You are as a a god to me."
Tori: "....No, not the original ones."

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I want to know who was the retard who put Tory over a loving window? That could have permanently disabled him.
Considering they had a camera inside shooting through the window, probably some smart guy who though it would be an awesome shot.

It did seem like the people who went later fell away from the wall as well as down. Maybe they changed the rig?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I'm disappointed with the latest season of Mythbusters.

I know it's been ramping up and they've been doing this for a while, but the amount of carefully scripted and rehersed speeches are just too much with the latest season. It's like every other shot has one of the people explaining what they're about to do, toss in a bit of science facts, and then bam, next scene. Particularly with the Build Team, they seem to skip huge parts of the actual build process, and just zoom to the execution, with a few gimmick shots (the Star Trek thing, wtf was that?). For example, the bus they rigged up for the Speed myth, it just seemed so rushed.

I'm not a fan of Jessi, I liked Kari better. All Jessi does is smile, look blonde, laugh, and read from her scripts. Kari seemed genuinely interested and engaged in their myths.

I generally liked the show better earlier on when it was a tad more amateurish and not so rehersed. I don't want to see them just read from scripts, or do huge builds that you only see 10% of the work process of.

Plague Skillet
Nov 10, 2003
No night is complete without the antics of an unwilling magic panda.
Just a heads up. It looks like Season 5 of the Deadliest Catch went up for Instant View on Netflix today. So if anyone wants to re-watch or catch up before this year's series premier it is there for you.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Plague Skillet posted:

Just a heads up. It looks like Season 5 of the Deadliest Catch went up for Instant View on Netflix today. So if anyone wants to re-watch or catch up before this year's series premier it is there for you.

I wish they'd put the series up on Hulu. I've never seen the first two seasons.

Plague Skillet
Nov 10, 2003
Yeah I really hate the way Discovery handles online episodes. Even the pickings on Netflix are pretty slim.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

iastudent posted:

I wish they'd put the series up on Hulu. I've never seen the first two seasons.

The new season starts April 13th, so keep an eye out for a marathon. The hour long recaps for seasons 3,4, and 5 are showing up in my Tivo's episode list, so you could look for those too.

Actually, I'm looking at the guide right now and it looks like Discovery has been showing Season 1 episodes at 4:00pm EST all this week and next.

Then, starting April 11th at noon, it looks like they'll be marathoning the last half of Season 2. For whatever reason it doesn't look like they're showing the first 6 episodes of that season.

I haven't seen the first two seasons either, so I'm looking forward to checking it out.

Plague Skillet
Nov 10, 2003
Awesome. I am pretty sure I have seen season 2, but not sure about season 1. Was that the run with the British voice over?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

New Mythbusters is live now.

Along those lines, apparently Cartoon Network is trying to compete with Mythbusters with their own show called Dude, What Would Happen, even having the gall to air it the same nights as Mythbusters. Apparently it's three teenagers blowing poo poo up minus the science, or any likeable personalities.

Seriously, as bad as the Build Team's canned reactions and explanations get, they has nothing on these guys.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

iastudent posted:

Along those lines, apparently Cartoon Network is trying to compete with Mythbusters with their own show called Dude, What Would Happen, even having the gall to air it the same nights as Mythbusters. Apparently it's three teenagers blowing poo poo up minus the science, or any likeable personalities.

Seriously, as bad as the Build Team's canned reactions and explanations get, they has nothing on these guys.
I watched this once and I swear words cannot express how loving obnoxious and irritating these kids are.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The phone book thing is from the USA show Burn Notice which I think is a first for that show.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Aw, are they no longer doing the animated scenes?

e: Yes they are, good.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 1, 2010

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

iastudent posted:

Sounds a lot like that other show Smash Lab.

Hazo posted:

I watched this once and I swear words cannot express how loving obnoxious and irritating these kids are.

Yep, sounds exactly like Smash Lab.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Maybe the dummies were unharmed, but wouldn't you think to check at least if the bullets did penetrate through those phonebooks? Just because the occupants make it through a firefight alive doesn't alone make a vehicle "bulletproof".

EDIT: Okay they remembered to do so for take 2.

iastudent fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 1, 2010

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

iastudent posted:

Maybe the dummies were unharmed, but wouldn't you think to check at least if the bullets did penetrate through those phonebooks? Just because the occupants make it through a firefight alive doesn't alone make a vehicle "bulletproof".

EDIT: Okay they remembered to do so for take 2.

The confetti is a pretty solid indication of penetration. Given they didn't get confetti until the assault rifles the cars did seem to be bullet proof and only "bullet resistant" to the more serious firepower (and essentially not even there to the antimaterial rifles).

Also, Kari back with mommy boobs and .50 cal? Yeah, that works for me.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

As much as "Is it possible?" is an attempt to latch Mythbusters' narrator onto a show made to eat up airtime before the local news, you have to admit those wind-powered walking sculptures they showed tonight were cool.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I was pleased that the Mythbusters tonight didn't feature myths where the outcome was completely obvious before they tested anything.

The "deadly cup" and "hang time" myths from last week had really obvious outcomes before anything was tested, so it was nice to see an episode where the outcomes of the myths weren't clear two minutes into the show.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

FogHelmut posted:

Sounds a lot like that other show Smash Lab.

Yep, sounds exactly like Smash Lab.

Dude Smash Lab was incredible. And I think their engineering guru is now a supernatural guru on History's ufo/ghost hunter show.

Hawkman
Aug 6, 2002

daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Dude Smash Lab was incredible.
I guess there had to be someone.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

iastudent posted:

As much as "Is it possible?" is an attempt to latch Mythbusters' narrator onto a show made to eat up airtime before the local news, you have to admit those wind-powered walking sculptures they showed tonight were cool.
It was interesting, but I don't think I'll keep recording it.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

One week till new season of Deadliest Catch. Right now they're showing the best of seasons 3 & 4 specials.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

iastudent posted:

One week till new season of Deadliest Catch. Right now they're showing the best of seasons 3 & 4 specials.
I hope they treat the Phil Harris situation appropriately. I'm sure the episode(s) that deal with his death will be respectful, but that probably won't stop Discovery from shamelessly teasing it for eight episodes beforehand.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Discovery Canada needs to port Canada's Worst Driver to us yanks. It's leagues better than the American version on the Travel Channel.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

WhiteHowler posted:

I hope they treat the Phil Harris situation appropriately. I'm sure the episode(s) that deal with his death will be respectful, but that probably won't stop Discovery from shamelessly teasing it for eight episodes beforehand.

The entire season is going to be based on Phil's death, you better start preparing from minute 1 of the new season.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Where's the cute blonde chick? What is this ginger doing busting my myths? <:mad:>

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ahaha, that's a pretty funny conclusion to that test.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

"Uncanny timing" on that phone call. :rolleyes:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Seems like Kari decided to showcase her new "assets" in certain parts of that segment.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
My heart wept for that poor green Trans Am. My Firebird in the parking lot shed a tear of oil for its busted up brethren. :sigh:

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Seems like Kari decided to showcase her new "assets" in certain parts of that segment.
It worked well enough for me.

I'm shocked that the Build Team's myth was so compelling given that it was just "fun with physics!"

And Jamie's car killing spikes were diabolical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

iastudent posted:

Discovery Canada needs to port Canada's Worst Driver to us yanks. It's leagues better than the American version on the Travel Channel.

You get Canada's Worst Driver and Canada's Worst Handyman when we get timely new Mythbusters and Deadliest Catch episodes.

• Locked thread