Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It seems like they were inspired by the bullet drop myth which was fun but hard as hell to set up.

I'm kind of glad Jessi is gone because I didn't really like her all that much. She was way too fakey with being super perky all the time and the forced camaraderie between her and the rest of the team. She also seemed too network mandated. I mean, Tory and Kari worked their way up doing crap work for the show and Grant worked with Tory and Adam back at ILM but her inclusion was way too calculated. Like someone said "the hot girl is leaving the show for a while so we need a replacement one."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monsignor Martinez
Feb 12, 2010

by Peatpot

Captain Novolin posted:

You get Canada's Worst Driver and Canada's Worst Handyman when we get timely new Mythbusters and Deadliest Catch episodes.
Amen to that. I can't even comprehend why we don't get new MB eps until months after they debut.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Captain Novolin posted:

Canada's Worst Handyman

Oh gently caress, I didn't know about that one. I now have stuck in my head someone trying to build a hockey stick by gluing splinters together.

Monsignor Martinez posted:

Amen to that. I can't even comprehend why we don't get new MB eps until months after they debut.

You already get episodes of Kitchen Nightmares two nights before we do. :arghfist:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

iastudent posted:

Oh gently caress, I didn't know about that one. I now have stuck in my head someone trying to build a hockey stick by gluing splinters together.

Or an entire hour of Red Green outtakes.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Strange Matter posted:

And Jamie's car killing spikes were diabolical.

Yeah, if I made those kinds of things I wouldn't be able to help but tie a damsel to some train tracks and demand a million dollars or I'd blow up a Starbucks.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy

muscles like this? posted:

Seems like Kari decided to showcase her new "assets" in certain parts of that segment.

She needs to alternate breasts when feeding her kid the right one is a lot bigger than the left.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Clamknuckle posted:

She needs to alternate breasts when feeding her kid the right one is a lot bigger than the left.

One of those things is going to have one hell of a head start on the other when gravity comes a calling in a few years.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The build team's "myth" was a waste of time. They didn't really build much of anything, and just spent a lot of time poorly trying to prove something we already know.

Karthillion
Mar 18, 2006
Philanthropists Anonymous

Clamknuckle posted:

Glad I wasn't the only pervert who noticed that she turned into Biggie Smalls.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

T-minus 8 hours until the season premiere of Deadliest Catch. They're running a marathon of last season all day today.

EDIT: Goddamn, I forgot how broken down the Cornelia Marie became last season. :smith:

iastudent fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 13, 2010

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

iastudent posted:

T-minus 8 hours until the season premiere of Deadliest Catch. They're running a marathon of last season all day today.

EDIT: Goddamn, I forgot how broken down the Cornelia Marie became last season. :smith:

There's a promo playing on Xbox live where Johnathan says "Don't call me, Don't call my boat unless your sinking"

I'm pretty sure he's talking to Keith from the Wizard, apparently they start out in a fued over crew poaching.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

wernox posted:

There's a promo playing on Xbox live where Johnathan says "Don't call me, Don't call my boat unless your sinking"

I'm pretty sure he's talking to Keith from the Wizard, apparently they start out in a fued over crew poaching.

Huh, I haven't fired up my 360 in a couple days but I'll take a look at it. I had trouble identifying what clip it was on the Deadliest Catch website.

iastudent fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 14, 2010

Plague Skillet
Nov 10, 2003
No night is complete without the antics of an unwilling magic panda.

wernox posted:

I have heard it a few times on Discovery today as well. After watching the best of the guys seemed pretty sandy vag about the whole firing/hiring between the two ships.

Curious to see if they are just hamming up the promos to get people tuned in, or if poo poo is going to get 'real' this season. Other than Phil's passing that is. :smith:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Here we go, anchors away!

EDIT: The cinematography looks different this time around.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
So the "annual tradition" that they started last year is inside the hulk of a shipwreck.

Yeah, something is different about this season. Can't quite put my finger on it.

Guy Compton
Mar 29, 2007

iastudent posted:

EDIT: The cinematography looks different this time around.

I was just coming here to post how I didn't like the new camera work. Too film-like and twitchy. And this confrontation stuff does seem a little put on for the cameras.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Guy Compton posted:

I was just coming here to post how I didn't like the new camera work. Too film-like and twitchy. And this confrontation stuff does seem a little put on for the cameras.

The shots also look darker, not sure if it's a filter or maybe using different cameras. And yeah, I liked the old style better.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

What was Johnathan's crack about Keith's brother? Did Keith lose a brother at sea?

I should catch up on Deadliest Catch.

EDIT: Oh hey all the Discovery Channel shows are on Watch Instantly on Netflix. Hell yes.

Guy Compton
Mar 29, 2007

Boxman posted:

What was Johnathan's crack about Keith's brother? Did Keith lose a brother at sea or something?

I missed that, but Keith's brother Monte works on the Wizard as the relief captain.

And this Jake swapping thing seems a bit contrived for the show.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Guy Compton posted:

Didn't they swap deckhands once earlier in the series? I want to say I remember seeing Josh or Jake pulling time on another boat.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Boxman posted:

What was Johnathan's crack about Keith's brother? Did Keith lose a brother at sea?

He was noting that Monte took a huge beating, broke some ribs, nearly died when they were out tying pots down during a terrible storm last year. That was kind of below the belt, but the Hillstrands always seemed like dicks.

Also, I couldn't watch that "reunion" of the Hillstrands and Russell. It was terrible, both with the Hillstrand's selective memory and Russell's self importance.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Guy Compton posted:

It really seems like all the stuff prior to them leaving shore to drop pots is completely scripted. I mean, I know that Discovery probably tries to influence storylines to some degree, but that was a little too contrived. Especially this boat-swapping thing.

Guy Compton
Mar 29, 2007

iastudent posted:

Didn't they swap deckhands once earlier in the series? I want to say I remember seeing Josh or Jake pulling time on another boat.

They said that both the Jakes had only been on one boat for their whole careers, and I don't recall seeing Josh on another.

And I miss radar map thing. That hasn't showed up yet (unless I missed it).

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I like how they introduced the new vessel already. Hopefully it'll get some more air time than the earlier side-boats.

EDIT: So much for piece and quiet on this one...

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
The radar map was on for a second. Just once so far.

Guy Compton
Mar 29, 2007

iastudent posted:

I like how they introduced the new vessel already. Hopefully it'll get some more air time than the earlier side-boats.

EDIT: So much for piece and quiet on this one...

And I can look forward to Russell being fired from a third boat!

EDIT: Ah, there's the radar map again. But what's with the huge DirecTV logo on it?

Guy Compton fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 14, 2010

Snord
Mar 5, 2002

We hugged it out, but I was still a little angry.
I remember them discussing a possible Jake for Jake swap last season on After the Catch.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Time to crack open the Coors on the Cornelia. :cheers:

Guy Compton posted:

EDIT: Ah, there's the radar map again. But what's with the huge DirecTV logo on it?

The last couple seasons they've displayed their sponsor on the radar map, usually the one mentioned during the title.

I swear I didn't know about Coors!

iastudent fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 14, 2010

Guy Compton
Mar 29, 2007

The Coors Light crab count? Jesus.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Well... drat, that was some season premiere. A fight, a small vessel with a big mouth, and a sinking.

Now to see what this Construction Intervention thing is all about.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Hey guys I hear there was this thing called NINE ELEVEN and the Blarney Stone was all about NINE ELEVEN have we told you about NINE ELVEN yet!?

:911:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I hate termite bars! *throws hard hat*

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I wish Discovery was more hip on the online streaming service thing. Last time I tried their player, it was terrible, and they aren't a Hulu partner. I don't have anything more than basic cable and Build It Bigger has moved to the Science Channel, so now I'm having to buy episodes off Amazon On Demand.

I also wish they would stop hogging the license for BBC World News, but that's neither here nor there.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver
I don't know if its 'scripted', but I just lost all respect for Hillstrand. That was just, ugh. Real men don't do that poo poo.

But, were both Jake's family memebers? I know the one was, but was it a Jake Hansen and Jake Harris?

edit: I guess its Jake Anderson. Answers that question.

MidasAg fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 14, 2010

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

I missed the beginning but what was their reason for switching the two Jakes anyway? It seemed stupid and fake.

Franco Spanish
Dec 20, 2007

"Is your mother a prostitute?"

Guy Compton posted:

They said that both the Jakes had only been on one boat for their whole careers, and I don't recall seeing Josh on another.

Jake Harris worked on the Northwestern for a little bit a few seasons ago I'm pretty sure.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

I wish Discovery was more hip on the online streaming service thing. Last time I tried their player, it was terrible, and they aren't a Hulu partner. I don't have anything more than basic cable and Build It Bigger has moved to the Science Channel, so now I'm having to buy episodes off Amazon On Demand.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they haven't hopped on the Hulu bandwagon with just about every other network in existence so they can sell more Mythbusters DVDs.

The first 10 minutes of the season premiere were just.... uggggh. I know this season's supposed to have a darker tone to it with Phil's passing, but that shoving match was filmed months before that happened. Just what is Discovery thinking here?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Season is going to get really dark, you can already tell. Its spooky just watching the first few minutes because Phil is all over it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yeah I'm not sure what they're up to. I went in expecting the first episode to be a tribute to Phil or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
^^I'm guessing they'd rather work it into the storyline so they can get some mileage out of it. Tasteful tribute episodes don't pull as much ratings as DEATH CLIFFHANGER.

Glad the camera work being different wasn't just my imagination. Judging by the "spooky voice over" poo poo they were pulling at the beginning they really are going to milk Phil's passing for all it's worth I guess.

Show definitely has a different feel to it this season. Not too sure I'm going to like it.

• Locked thread