Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Lassitude posted:

What's the policy on guys enlisting who're missing a leg below the knee? A friend of mine expressed interest over it, and as he's at a sort of rut in his life I wanted to look into it for him to maybe give him an option. Are there ANY jobs he'd be eligible for as an amputee?

Only if you are already in and were injured while in the CF. I dont believe theres any way to get in with an amputated limb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

MA-Horus posted:

Man you must have gotten some good ones. When I worked with 2RCHA their LG1s were constantly gumming up.

Not quite as bad as C3s though. And getting replacement parts for it are loving impossible, and repairs take FOREVER. We had a gun out of commission for 6 months + because some twat jammed a cam-pole down the barrel with a round still up the spout.

Sounds like you worked with a real winner. C3s are being phased out because they dont make parts for them anymore and we're running out. But I've had nothing even close to a problem with the LG1. That and the elevation and directional levers are so smooth

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

My Spirit Otter posted:

Sounds like you worked with a real winner. C3s are being phased out because they dont make parts for them anymore and we're running out. But I've had nothing even close to a problem with the LG1. That and the elevation and directional levers are so smooth

Not gonna lie I would join back up in an instant if they brought the paladins back into service.

But my regiment had to basically kick and scream to keep from getting assigned mortars because they are for chumps.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

MA-Horus posted:

Not gonna lie I would join back up in an instant if they brought the paladins back into service.

But my regiment had to basically kick and scream to keep from getting assigned mortars because they are for chumps.

Mortars are a lot of fun. Except for leveling them. But they are a lot of fun!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

They have their purpose, for sure. But they just don't have the range or the punch of a proper howitzer. They're great for close-in support, but I have problems with all of the reservists becoming nothing more than glorified infantrymen.

RC Demoral
Feb 18, 2007
So I went to hand in my application in for Pilot. Apparently now the recruiter could not even accept my application. They are so full.

The only that he could take my application was if I went the ROTP route, and do your schooling through them. For anyone who already has a degree, it is a total no-go.

Oh well. Just an FYI to everyone.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
You mean that they've completely closed off all DEO applications, or just those for pilot?

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
One of the guys on my aircrew selection this time last year was a DEO applicant and he said much the same thing. While he got his app in, the centre said no offers in '09.

The pilot training system has extremely limited capacity, so direct entries are hard for it to handle.

My UTPNCM app for pilot was turned down yesterday - they will only fund a science, engineering or aviation degree. While I have the bulk of a history degree finished (part way through third year), they would prefer to fund a 4 year aviation degree at the University of the Fraser valley to the tune of $64k in tuition alone. Versus 3 semesters of a liberal arts degree.

Oh well, CEOTP is still ongoing though I'm not very hopeful as there are fewer than 5 slots available.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Due to budget cutbacks, no new boots are being procured for the CF until 2011.

:v:

No, seriously. It's not like there's a shortage of boots in certain sizes or anything~

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Canuck-Errant posted:

Due to budget cutbacks, no new boots are being procured for the CF until 2011.

:v:

No, seriously. It's not like there's a shortage of boots in certain sizes or anything~

Im not complaining this means I can't exchange my Mk. IIIs for the gps and get to keep wearing the comfortable bastards

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
So after we withdraw troops from Afghanistan, what's next for the Canadian Army? Are we going back to U.N Peacekeeping or something similar?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

My Spirit Otter posted:

Im not complaining this means I can't exchange my Mk. IIIs for the gps and get to keep wearing the comfortable bastards

It also means you can't get the new WWBs, which is fine because the old ones are actually more comfy - but I'm stuck with 1 pr GPs and 1 pr WWBs, and no chance of getting another pair before basic.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Canuck-Errant posted:

It also means you can't get the new WWBs, which is fine because the old ones are actually more comfy - but I'm stuck with 1 pr GPs and 1 pr WWBs, and no chance of getting another pair before basic.

Im not too concerned because I never wear the things. However whats different with the new wet weathers, the sole? Also I am assuming you're a reservist because you have kit before basic?

My Spirit Otter fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 1, 2010

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

My Spirit Otter posted:

Im not too concerned because I never wear the things. However whats different with the new wet weathers, the sole? Also I am assuming you're a reservist because you have kit before basic?

Yeah, the soles - the old ones would freeze in cold weather. And yeah, Comms reserve, though they're merging our unit into 38 CBG as of 1 May, IIRC.

I guess we already wear Army DEUs anyway, why not take the logical next step?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Christ did I ever get out at the right time. It sounds like there's no money for anything anymore.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
lol gently caress issued boots. Been wearing Magnums now for about a year, and lovin it. Gonna pick up some SWATs for my next boots.

Buskas
Aug 31, 2004
?

The Amputee House posted:

MARS doesn't sound so bad when you are still in BMOQ, anyways 5 (real) weeks left of infantry stuff I'll never use before naval training starts. I can't wait to get to the fleet.

Dad was a reservist MARS officer for 30 years - if you want to ask any anonymous questions of an old goat who had a turn commanding an MCDV and did some other cool stuff along the way, I'd be happy to relay them.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
More wonderful fun on the journey to enlisting: I got told by a recruiter today that the only space left in any of the combat trades is in a French unit.

So, anyone know anything about Signals Operators? Is it just being a general radio tech like is sounds, or something else?

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

MohawkSatan posted:

More wonderful fun on the journey to enlisting: I got told by a recruiter today that the only space left in any of the combat trades is in a French unit.

So, anyone know anything about Signals Operators? Is it just being a general radio tech like is sounds, or something else?

My friend is a SigOp and he hates it. Apparently they are really undermanned and never get any days off since officers/everyone always needs their comms. He also is pissed off that he only gets to practice shooting like once every 3 months.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Samu posted:

My friend is a SigOp and he hates it. Apparently they are really undermanned and never get any days off since officers/everyone always needs their comms. He also is pissed off that he only gets to practice shooting like once every 3 months.

Think of it this way: There's a hell of a lot of work.

Same thing for Clerks. Nobody wants to be one, so there's positions open everywhere.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

MohawkSatan posted:

There is no way artillery is full. We are hurting for numbers so badly. However this is a reason we are hurt for people. It sucks rear end

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

My Spirit Otter posted:

There is no way artillery is full. We are hurting for numbers so badly. However this is a reason we are hurt for people. It sucks rear end

Last time I went to visit my old battery, they had 6 troops on parade, and 4 SNCOs. They have 35+ on paper. It was pathetic.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

My Spirit Otter posted:

I'm just reporting what I was told. I'd much prefer a job in any combat trade rather than being a plumber or some such; if I was interested a civilian job, I'd go do that instead of joining the military.

MA-Horus might be right about the numbers though. Could be that there's some serious holes in the chain of information. Or just some rear end in a top hat recruiter lying his balls off to me, which is always possible.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Mind you, I was also Reservist. If you're talking about Reg Forces, very good chance reg force arty is full.

It may just not SEEM like that because reservists often fill critical posts during deployments. Mainly the reason that my battery was empty, they had a dozen folks on deployment/predeployment.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

MohawkSatan posted:

I'm just reporting what I was told. I'd much prefer a job in any combat trade rather than being a plumber or some such; if I was interested a civilian job, I'd go do that instead of joining the military.

MA-Horus might be right about the numbers though. Could be that there's some serious holes in the chain of information. Or just some rear end in a top hat recruiter lying his balls off to me, which is always possible.

Which recruiting station are you going to? Also are you going NCM or officer? Beause I know for a fact that the ncm's are grossly undermanned. Tell your recruiter that you have heard that from people inside of an arillery regiment

MA-Horus posted:

Mind you, I was also Reservist. If you're talking about Reg Forces, very good chance reg force arty is full.

It may just not SEEM like that because reservists often fill critical posts during deployments. Mainly the reason that my battery was empty, they had a dozen folks on deployment/predeployment.

Our troop had about 11 gunners on parade, 1 bombadier, 1 master bombadier and 2 sergeants. Mind you we have a handfull of people on a driver course. However my gun consists of 1 sergeant, 1 master, and 4 gunners. Hardly ideal.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

swagger like us posted:

lol gently caress issued boots. Been wearing Magnums now for about a year, and lovin it. Gonna pick up some SWATs for my next boots.

Don't get SWAT's wet. loving worst boots ever wet. Mrk III's are the best field boot, ever. Except in winter when your feet freeze.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Hizawk posted:

Don't get SWAT's wet. loving worst boots ever wet. Mrk III's are the best field boot, ever. Except in winter when your feet freeze.

I've only ever worn issued boots. The GPs are the worst wet and the mk IIIs are the best, I don't know why they just are

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

My Spirit Otter posted:

I've only ever worn issued boots. The GPs are the worst wet and the mk IIIs are the best, I don't know why they just are

I loved my GP's. It was like walking on air. The only problem was that after 9 months I had no tread on the bottoms.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

My Spirit Otter posted:

Which recruiting station are you going to? Also are you going NCM or officer? Beause I know for a fact that the ncm's are grossly undermanned. Tell your recruiter that you have heard that from people inside of an arillery regiment

That was just over the phone with the nearest base, in New Westminster. Can't remember the guy's name right now, got it written down somewhere though.

As for NCM or officer, definately going NCM.

Edit: I'm actually meeting with the guy tommorrow afternoon, since he's coming through town on the way to PG. Which, now that I think about it, reeks pretty badly of something. Why would you go to the biggest city(or second biggest) in Northern BC if so many trades are filled right up?

MohawkSatan fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Apr 9, 2010

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

My unit wouldn't even let me wear the goretex unless it was in the field. Not allowed in garrison. Which was dumb because my GP were a size and a half too drat big.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

MohawkSatan posted:

That was just over the phone with the nearest base, in New Westminster. Can't remember the guy's name right now, got it written down somewhere though.

As for NCM or officer, definately going NCM.

Edit: I'm actually meeting with the guy tommorrow afternoon, since he's coming through town on the way to PG. Which, now that I think about it, reeks pretty badly of something. Why would you go to the biggest city(or second biggest) in Northern BC if so many trades are filled right up?

Yea if its NCM you shouldn't have a problem. For BATTERY pt, we had 22 people. Mind you some people are still on leave and some about 20 people on the driver wheel course

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Samu posted:

Depends on the unit; I'm going sigop in a reserve unit, and while we're understrength we hardly do anything. That may change, since they're shoving us into 38 CBG and out of 73 Comm Gp, but we'll see.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm serious, I have a pair of unused boots that I'm willing to send to someone who needs them, as not having a pair of loving boots for recruits is retarded.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Nothing happen for nothing
One of you dudes should give me a pair of your old parade boots. They shine and look so much better than the new ones. My friend was just given a pair from someone on my course. It's so easy to shine them and they look amazing.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

mdivi posted:

One of you dudes should give me a pair of your old parade boots. They shine and look so much better than the new ones. My friend was just given a pair from someone on my course. It's so easy to shine them and they look amazing.

Boots are easy to do. Find someone who is good at it and give them a 20. I wish I would have put more brush layers on my parades. My boots looked like poo poo till i burned shined/spent a few hundred hours on them. Also don't use parade gloss( no matter what your staff says), that stuff is junk. Buy a smaller can of straight black just for your parades. I can read my watch off the reflection on my boot.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I had the benefit(?) of being a cadet before joining the forces, so I know how to mirror-shine boots quite well. Parade gloss is poo poo. I had 3 sets of boots: One for garrison, one for parades, and one for the field. The ones I wore in the field I bought from a surplus store and they were so nice and broken in.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
But unlike in the cadets very few people in the army actually care about being able to shave using a boot as a mirror. Usually all that is required is for them to be blackened and clean. The low-level shine you get from parade-gloss is perfectly acceptable. Dont be the one douchebag in your platoon with mirror boots as your instructors will just force everyone else to bring theirs up to the same level for uniformity and everyone will hate you.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Mr.48 posted:

But unlike in the cadets very few people in the army actually care about being able to shave using a boot as a mirror. Usually all that is required is for them to be blackened and clean. The low-level shine you get from parade-gloss is perfectly acceptable. Dont be the one douchebag in your platoon with mirror boots as your instructors will just force everyone else to bring theirs up to the same level for uniformity and everyone will hate you.

Thats a lie, I know a lot of people who have gotten in trouble due to their boots being lackluster. Also shiny parade boots look loving sharp, so.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

My Spirit Otter posted:

Thats a lie, I know a lot of people who have gotten in trouble due to their boots being lackluster. Also shiny parade boots look loving sharp, so.

Combat boots should NOT be shiny. They should be blackened, with a decent sheen to them. We are issued parade boots for a reason, and whoever gave poo poo on that is a loving pogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

MA-Horus posted:

Combat boots should NOT be shiny. They should be blackened, with a decent sheen to them. We are issued parade boots for a reason, and whoever gave poo poo on that is a loving pogue.

Who said anything about combat boots? However our boots have to be somewhat shiny. We can't show up to regiment with boots just slathered in polish. They have to be brush shined but thats it.