Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.
This girl was sorry she tried to talk to me about donating to charity, ended up with her getting no donations but having to pose for a portrait and hold my stuff while I changed lenses.

Took the advice on board after my last few, no harsh shadows and the glasses are level. Not very exciting or anything but I'm happy with it, was out of the blue so always good when it works out, any crit appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
I was quite happy with how this came out, considering it's on my backup camera (a d40) using a manual focus 50 1.8 and was completely spur of the moment. Straight out of camera.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
How do I make the background white without losing her hair?

Click here for the full 1200x949 image.

Also, this was shot with a Sigma 2.8 50mm Macro Lens, it was loving amazing.

Click here for the full 800x1200 image.

milquetoast child fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 8, 2010

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

What would the lighting setup on shots like these be?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

dunkman posted:

How do I make the background white without losing her hair?

Click here for the full 1200x949 image.

Also, this was shot with a Sigma 2.8 50mm Macro Lens, it was loving amazing.

Click here for the full 800x1200 image.

Use a selective exposure mask in lightroom. It's like a paint brush you can set to have sliders like +2 exposure. It might be tricky to work around the hair though

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

fronkpies posted:

What would the lighting setup on shots like these be?

My guess: Large source, a bit far back, the lighting is very even, and I'd bet the background lighting is also from the main illuminating the face. You see very little specularity on the skin, which points to a large source. There could be a black card just outside of camera left in order to darken those shadows, but it could also just be a largish room.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Yeah, what poop said, plus if you wanted something similar you could just use a large window on a cloudy day.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

poopinmymouth: You use Elinchrom's quadra system yes? Does 400ws tend to take care of anything outdoors? The battery and heads are so small, they're very appealing. General thoughts?

Speedlights and their inability to handle huge modifiers from a great distance away are about to get the axe from me. The photos clients are telling me caused them to choose me for a job are consistently the ones where I've employed such techniques. Whether it's the tools or the way the tools make me think, the speedlights are on their way out.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Interrupting Moss posted:

poopinmymouth: You use Elinchrom's quadra system yes? Does 400ws tend to take care of anything outdoors? The battery and heads are so small, they're very appealing. General thoughts?

Speedlights and their inability to handle huge modifiers from a great distance away are about to get the axe from me. The photos clients are telling me caused them to choose me for a job are consistently the ones where I've employed such techniques. Whether it's the tools or the way the tools make me think, the speedlights are on their way out.

I have yet to do a daytime shoot, I hate bright sunlight. I have never used them at full power for a shoot yet, I wish they went lower in power actually.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

poopinmymouth posted:

I have yet to do a daytime shoot, I hate bright sunlight. I have never used them at full power for a shoot yet, I wish they went lower in power actually.

You should-- half the fun of powerful portable strobes is the ability to overwhelm daylight in interesting ways.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

TsarAleksi posted:

You should-- half the fun of powerful portable strobes is the ability to overwhelm daylight in interesting ways.

Just not drawn to sunlight and how it paints a scene. I like either indoor, evening, or night portraits.

That said, the quadra is 4x brighter than a 580ex II, which is the brightest flash out. I'm fairly certain you could use it against the sun in everything but a giant 7 foot octa.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

Okay I had a quick test, this is standing next to a window and with two lovely desk lamps pointing at her, but there was no light at all so had to shoot pretty wide open, annoying because in the originals everything is perfectly sharp. Getting the skin tone is quite difficult. Its missing the harsh shadows, so lots of stuff to improve upon, I really like the style and processing of the originals though.

I really need some lighting stuff, doing this on the cheap just doesn't cut it.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

fronkpies posted:

Okay I had a quick test, this is standing next to a window and with two lovely desk lamps pointing at her, but there was no light at all so had to shoot pretty wide open, annoying because in the originals everything is perfectly sharp. Getting the skin tone is quite difficult. Its missing the harsh shadows, so lots of stuff to improve upon, I really like the style and processing of the originals though.

I really need some lighting stuff, doing this on the cheap just doesn't cut it.

This is a fantastic first attempt, dude.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

JaundiceDave posted:

I agree. She's a really pretty model and I'm happy that you managed to capture her in a way that's flattering yet honest and interesting.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

JaundiceDave posted:

McMadCow posted:

I agree. She's a really pretty model and I'm happy that you managed to capture her in a way that's flattering yet honest and interesting.

Thanks.

She's quite self-conscious, cant stand to look at the pictures after I've taken them, but I'm glad you mentioned honesty because that's what I like looking at and that's the way I'm trying to go, take away the blemishes and there's not much left.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

fronkpies posted:

...take away the blemishes and there's not much left.

Well, I still would probably have let her put on a little concealer. You can take a good, intimate portrait and still be aware of distractions like that. Still though, I like the shot in spite of her blemishes.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

fronkpies posted:

Thanks.

She's quite self-conscious, cant stand to look at the pictures after I've taken them, but I'm glad you mentioned honesty because that's what I like looking at and that's the way I'm trying to go, take away the blemishes and there's not much left.

They serve to much as a focal point. If you had a strong need for pimples, that's one thing, but leaving them as is, they distract the eye without adding anything other than, "this is a real person", and she would still read that way without them. At the very least lighten them up.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
Testing out my new 70-200 f4L. Can't wait to get out and do some real shooting with it.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Really loving 4x5 chromes.

Hop Pocket
Sep 23, 2003

Whitezombi posted:

Nice shot. I also did some shooting today with the f/4. I really do like this lens.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

fronkpies posted:

take away the blemishes and there's not much left.

While we get what you mean, don't say that to her ever, hahah. "All you are photo-wise are... your pimples." It was a good attempt, next time make the lighting a little broader to get her right side also (move her since the light source seemed mostly stationary) to get a closer look to the second inspiration photo you posted.

Hop Pocket posted:

Nice shot. I also did some shooting today with the f/4. I really do like this lens.

Nice, would have been nice if you were able to bounce a reflector 45 degrees from her right but I'm pretty sure this was more of a candid.

Did an impromptu shoot for a friend yesterday - she needed full length swimsuit photos for her dance auditions so we did it the next day. Due to her availability we had to shoot at pretty much high noon with a cloudless sky. It took a while to find a suitable spot. I really need a larger reflector as I'm not 100% pleased with the uneven lighting on this - I rarely do full length, and when I do, I do it closer to the better hours so I use my current reflector for highlights - we shot this in the shade and had almost no light.

Oprah Haza fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 11, 2010

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Oprah Haza posted:

This looks like it was shot at a high angle with a wide angle lens. Her legs look artificially shortened. If you want to stretch someone out in a flattering way, you should shoot low and wide.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Flat soled shoes are also unflattering and contribute to the short-legged look. Either get some shoes with heels or have her pose where she's extending her foot.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

This is another from the portrait project I'm currently working on. She's not a model, but she took direction well.

Film is Tri-X, printed on Ilford MG Fiber.

Blakles
Mar 10, 2008

I have lived a great deal among grown-ups. I have seen them intimately, close at hand. And that hasnt much improved my opinion of them.
Background: I'm an ameture photographer, took a photography class in high school :rolleyes:

Anyway, I've always had a strong interest in boudoir photography. However, in my attempts, I've not had much luck getting photos to look sexy/romantic.

Does anyone have any tips on this style of photography as far as set up, lighting, angles, editing, etc.?

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I've been shooting for about a year now, and most of my photography has been sports action and spot news. I desperately need to improve my portraiture, so I'm trying to force myself to practice. Last week I had the opportunity to shoot a softball pitcher, and arranged to borrow my friend's sweet Dyanlite kit. Unfortunately, the battery died almost immediately and so I was forced to use solely available light, I didn't even think to have a reflector handy (lesson learned). :(

Anyway, thoughts? I'm sure it's a cliche pose, but it was one of the few spots I could find diffuse light to avoid the harsh afternoon sun.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Penpal posted:

Ooh this is great!

I had about 5 minutes to setup and shoot this photo today, including where I was going to photograph it and how I would set up the lights. (Selection was very limited). My plan mostly worked except for the fluorescent lights in the background, which had a horrible green tint. Ambient was a mix between sodium vapor fluorescents (in the background), tungsten overhead, and flash.

I am not really satisfied with the picture, but it will have to do. I had to crop it tight to avoid major reflection in a glass cabinet to her right (8x10 format). I literally took 3 frames and had to scuttle out of there. So anyway, I did my best to make it look "okay" and I'm pretty sure it's acceptable, but can any of you see anything glaringly wrong with this before I present it tomorrow?

In post I:

-desaturated the background/color corrected it
-removed some of the heavy red tones in her skin
-fixed a couple of blemishes/removed some lines (per her request)
-brightened the color of the eyes and lips, whitened the teeth

Million dollar question is: DOES IT LOOK WEIRD? I am not really on a color-calibrated system.

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 13, 2010

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

BobTheCow posted:

I've been shooting for about a year now, and most of my photography has been sports action and spot news. I desperately need to improve my portraiture, so I'm trying to force myself to practice. Last week I had the opportunity to shoot a softball pitcher, and arranged to borrow my friend's sweet Dyanlite kit. Unfortunately, the battery died almost immediately and so I was forced to use solely available light, I didn't even think to have a reflector handy (lesson learned). :(

Anyway, thoughts? I'm sure it's a cliche pose, but it was one of the few spots I could find diffuse light to avoid the harsh afternoon sun.

I just don't see how it conveys 'pitcher.'

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

TsarAleksi posted:

I just don't see how it conveys 'pitcher.'

It didn't necessarily need to, it was for a profile the student paper was doing on her as a person who happens to be a softball pitcher.

e: Still a valid point though, and definitely something to keep in mind. :)

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Mannequin posted:

Ooh this is great!

I had about 5 minutes to setup and shoot this photo today, including where I was going to photograph it and how I would set up the lights. (Selection was very limited). My plan mostly worked except for the fluorescent lights in the background, which had a horrible green tint. Ambient was a mix between sodium vapor fluorescents (in the background), tungsten overhead, and flash.

I am not really satisfied with the picture, but it will have to do. I had to crop it tight to avoid major reflection in a glass cabinet to her right (8x10 format). I literally took 3 frames and had to scuttle out of there. So anyway, I did my best to make it look "okay" and I'm pretty sure it's acceptable, but can any of you see anything glaringly wrong with this before I present it tomorrow?

In post I:

-desaturated the background/color corrected it
-removed some of the heavy red tones in her skin
-fixed a couple of blemishes/removed some lines (per her request)
-brightened the color of the eyes and lips, whitened the teeth

Million dollar question is: DOES IT LOOK WEIRD? I am not really on a color-calibrated system.

Looks fine to me (*not on a calibrated monitor) Shadows look a little on the dark side for a happy/commercial photo, but considering your description of the conditions, it looks fantastic. You may want to remove some shine spots so her skin doesn't look so greasy.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
What's the best way to remove shine spots/reduce redness?

I mainly use Lightroom, and whenever I try playing with the reds it just makes things look a bit weird.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
I got another gig taking pictures for Metromix. This time at a Yuri's Night party (which in Reno is pretty much a Burning Man party), so everyone was super dressed up and most likely on some sort of drugs.

As soon as I saw this guy hanging out with these 2 chicks, I knew I had my album cover, I bet it got a lot of clicks.
(full album here: http://reno.metromix.com/bars-and-clubs/photogallery/yuris-night-2010/1867598/content)

But I'm not posting just to say "omg boobz", but to say that I think I finally learned to bounce the flash off the ceiling, because the pictures look pretty decent, and the editor complimented me on a job well done. Wooo!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hop Pocket
Sep 23, 2003

I'm not very happy with this one. I took this one in some shade and I think it could have really been helped with some speedlite fill flash. I was already carrying around a significant weight with camera+lens and carrying an additional speedlite on a leisurely stroll was just out of the question. Maybe I'm not hardcore.

Hop Pocket fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 14, 2010

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Hop Pocket posted:

I'm not very happy with this one. I took this one in some shade and I think it could have really been helped with some speedlite fill flash. I was already carrying around a significant weight with camera+lens and carrying an additional speedlite on a leisurely stroll was just out of the question. Maybe I'm not hardcore.

When in open shade you have to be careful of the blue sky light altering their face colors. You need to warm up either the whole image, or just her skin tones, and if the red blotchiness remains on her skin, even that out in post, it's unflattering. In lightroom you can just desaturate reds a bit.

Did a shoot this afternoon, had a ton of fun, so glad the Quadra is water resistant, it was drizzling the whole time. A vagabond and alienbee would have fried.

http://mr-chompers.blogspot.com/2010/04/liljainthegreenhouse.html

Hop Pocket
Sep 23, 2003

Wow, thanks for the advice. I didn't even notice that the color was way off. I spent some time in LR and am much happier with the result, thanks.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

psylent posted:

What's the best way to remove shine spots/reduce redness?

I mainly use Lightroom, and whenever I try playing with the reds it just makes things look a bit weird.

The best thing you can do is have a good makeup artist (or even have some proper powder on hand), but in lieu of that, I like using the patch tool in photoshop to remove shine spots, same way as if you were removing a blemish. To reduce redness I usually play around a little, but there's usually a sweet spot between a little less red and still some nice color in the face. Some people are just naturally kinda red. Messing around with the orange can help make the red areas not so patchy.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

nonanone posted:

The best thing you can do is have a good makeup artist (or even have some proper powder on hand)

Definitely. The first time I did a shoot involving a makeup artist, it was such a difference in post-processing. Way less work if any at all on fixing skin tones, blemishes and what not.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I don't do portraits at all but a friend of mine got nominated for some theater awards and called me up in a panic because her headshots were 10 years old and 'you sometimes take photos of bugs and stuff right'.

This was done in 40mins with natural light being filtered through a gauze from the window

Any comments welcomed - I think the second one looks too dark without colour management on but its my favorite (the first one is the one used for the headshot for the awards)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hop Pocket
Sep 23, 2003

I like the first one better. Better light, composition, and pose.