Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

auruspex posted:

That sadly doesn't not seem very SO friendly :\ But eventually, I want to add a Bobber to the stable but I have to make sure to maintain some bike that is 2 person friendly :)
Bzzt. Wrong Answer.

The correct answer, for those playing along at home is, "Build two". :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I've snapped a few pics of my Zephyr 550 in it's current setup. Custom paint, progressive springs, oem crash bars, fender eliminated, turn signals hidden in tail light, crappy tony hawk helmet cam on headlight, cheapo farm and fleet tail and saddlebags, Garmin 270 with ram mount (Was a freebee from the coupons and deals thread)

I really want to get some sort of throttle lock and heated grips to allow for longer rides.

Click for big

And 2 bonus pics of My Gf and her kz305 one in which she is looking dejected and one astride the beast.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 6, 2010

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
That's a good looking bike, I'm gonna have to look at picking one of those up :D

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Der Scooter! My 1987 K75S in ultra-special "Let's see it" and "What did you do to your ride today" dual topic post, because this is my first pic of the bike and I did those sweet rear end-PIAAs today.

(It's a bit dirty)

PadreScout fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 8, 2010

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

drat that saddle looks fresh, comfy and pretty new. Is it all of those? In case, curse you BMW for having an active and useful aftermarket all the way back to the 80s! :argh:

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Ola posted:

drat that saddle looks fresh, comfy and pretty new. Is it all of those? In case, curse you BMW for having an active and useful aftermarket all the way back to the 80s! :argh:

That saddle is maybe, 3 years old. The fella that owned the bike before me put it on the season before he sold it, so he rode it 2 seasons. I've had the bike a little over a year so... 3 years or so. It's dang comfy. I've said it before but I'll say it again- I rode that machine from sunup til sundown from Detroit Michigan to Dallas Texas (interstate through most of the north, state highways through Arkansas and Texas) and I could have gone twice as far- that machine is just a mile eating beauty to ride.

So long as I'm thinking about it. I do not recommend riding state highways through Arkansas. I got off on ... mystery road number 4 ( the GPS told me to when I told it it was fun riding time) Which went kind of south West through the heart of Arkansas. I was riding this little 2 lane job with fields on either side but they had big piles of some sort of plant matter, burning it and there would periodically be groups of these kids that were kind of hanging out by the side of the road and just /stare/ at me as I went by, arms limp at their sides. Crazy stuff.

Other than that though, yeah, lots of aftermarket parts and the previous owner tossed in a complete spare set of tupperware, the original windscreen, an extra wiring harness, 4 sets of turn signal housings, an extra drive shaft, and about a trunk full of miscellaneous other bits. I'm pretty sure I got the value of the bike over again in spare parts.

It's been a good little machine, so I recommend everyone runs out and buys one. If not for being a good machine then because the K bikes make a pronounced mechanical whine .. and then do that kind of purr down "uh-gonga-burble- blug blug" thing like V8 car engines. So it sounds like I have some mad supercharged bike or something, which is loving magical.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oddly enough that is how I would describe VFR's sound.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

PadreScout posted:

So long as I'm thinking about it. I do not recommend riding state highways through Arkansas.

I don't recommend state highways *anywhere*.

I took a left turn in some little town at the northwest corner of texas which has mysteriously built their townhall in the *center* of the highway, so you have to drive around this weird roundabout sort of thing to keep going on your route, and somehow, 5 hours later I was in new mexico (I was trying to go through colorado :psyduck:), driving on a highway that at first, was in disrepair, then non existent dirt for a few miles, then covered with cows, and finally went through the front yard of someone's farm, I swear to god.

After that, I swore to never get on anything that didn't have an I in front of it. Forever.

Cost me 500 extra miles, at least, going cross country to dc from seattle, but at least I wasn't *charged* by an angry/sleepy bull at 2 am while I was trying to find enough civilization to rent a room for the night.

(this was in a car, which is bad enough)

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Cross-post from the what-you-just-bought thread.

FINALLY!

Best thing I have ever done.

2007 Yamaha V-Star 650 classic. 45xx on the odom, V&H (?) shotgun pipes. I love this thing.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

PadreScout posted:

there would periodically be groups of these kids that were kind of hanging out by the side of the road and just /stare/ at me as I went by, arms limp at their sides. Crazy stuff.

They were probably hurting their brains trying to figure out how to pronounce "BMW"

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

cheesebot posted:

They were probably hurting their brains trying to figure out how to pronounce "BMW"

Or how to spell it.

ChrisFarley
Jan 3, 2004

Well buckle up, Rupert...'cuz I've turned pro.

AnimalChin posted:

Cross-post from the what-you-just-bought thread.

FINALLY!

Best thing I have ever done.

2007 Yamaha V-Star 650 classic. 45xx on the odom, V&H (?) shotgun pipes. I love this thing.
How do you like it? Was it your first? I bought the same bike in February. I've put about 4,000 miles on it since I bought it. It's like crack, but more expensive. I consider it the best "stupid" thing I've ever done, but only because I bought it two months after being laid off when I was kind of in a financial tough spot.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

cf posted:

How do you like it? Was it your first? I bought the same bike in February. I've put about 4,000 miles on it since I bought it. It's like crack, but more expensive. I consider it the best "stupid" thing I've ever done, but only because I bought it two months after being laid off when I was kind of in a financial tough spot.

I freakin love it. A few years ago I had an old 1972 Honda CL350 which was perfect for me to learn on. Bough it barn fresh (all original including the tires) for $500, rode all summer on it, then sold it for $800.

I desperately needed to get on two wheels and this V-Star was all I could afford so I financed it and have been re-learning to ride for the past week and just having a ball. It's practically new, rides and handles really well, and it gets lots of looks.

I'm hoping the 'small' motor doesn't get old too soon, but so far it's got plenty of get up and go for me.

I honestly think buying this bike is the best thing I have ever done. Now I just need a less dorky helmet.

Jaz
Dec 24, 2005

Part of the internet...

AnimalChin posted:

I'm hoping the 'small' motor doesn't get old too soon, but so far it's got plenty of get up and go for me.

I honestly think buying this bike is the best thing I have ever done. Now I just need a less dorky helmet.

V-Star + loud pipes = it won't get old.

You will hit the horsepower limit when accelerating above the speed limit up a steep hill, but then all you have to do is take out your earplugs and the ear to ear grin comes back :)

edit: Mine, now with Jardine slip-ons

Click here for the full 720x480 image.

Jaz fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 13, 2010

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe
I got my SR500 back from storage and went of for a photoshoot. Once I get my Toyota back up and running I'm gonna get cracking on getting the tank painted and sending the chrome bits off to get powder coated.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
Your center stand looks sad :(

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Miso Beno posted:

I got my SR500 back from storage and went of for a photoshoot.

What's the main plan for the bike? OD green? Cafe?

*COUGH COUGH*

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

I don't recommend state highways *anywhere*.

I took a left turn in some little town at the northwest corner of texas which has mysteriously built their townhall in the *center* of the highway, so you have to drive around this weird roundabout sort of thing to keep going on your route, and somehow, 5 hours later I was in new mexico (I was trying to go through colorado :psyduck:), driving on a highway that at first, was in disrepair, then non existent dirt for a few miles, then covered with cows, and finally went through the front yard of someone's farm, I swear to god.

After that, I swore to never get on anything that didn't have an I in front of it. Forever.

Cost me 500 extra miles, at least, going cross country to dc from seattle, but at least I wasn't *charged* by an angry/sleepy bull at 2 am while I was trying to find enough civilization to rent a room for the night.

(this was in a car, which is bad enough)

Buy this book and never get lost in Texas again. Accept no substitutes. FM roads are the best rides full stop.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

Slim Pickens posted:

What's the main plan for the bike? OD green? Cafe?

*COUGH COUGH*

OD Green, is my goal, the faring came with the bike and is kinda nice when the wind kicks up.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Miso Beno posted:

OD Green, is my goal, the faring came with the bike and is kinda nice when the wind kicks up.

Fap.

Niven
Apr 16, 2003

Mine on the left, roommates on the right.

Bought this a few weeks ago while off in the middle east doing some training for work (for nine weeks). Spent the next few weeks dreaming about riding it when I got home.

Got home, bike was delivered, got sent out of town again for work the next morning and won't be home for two more weeks :(

Oh well I got one hour on her that night (first ride ever on the street since taking the course, in -2 degC while starting to snow)

So.
Much.
Fun.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Prepping for my trip back to WI.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

ReelBigLizard posted:

Fap.

Oh my dear sweet lord...it's like a Ruckus, all growed up. :circlefap:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A GIS for SR400 turns up some awesome customs, too.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Just got it today. It will have plates tomorrow. I'm nervous, as I haven't really ridden in like 3 years, but I'm excited as hell. I'm leaving work early tomorrow to come home and just ride around town. I kind of want to change the paint to a flat white, but I would want to do it on the cheap. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears!

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

ReelBigLizard posted:

Fap.

Their store is just down the road from me, I can go past and take some more pictures if you want :)

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I kind of want to change the paint to a flat white, but I would want to do it on the cheap. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears!

My suggestion would be not to. Flat white would look cool, but it'd last all of about 20 seconds before it got dirty and dingy and horrible looking. And it would be impossible to clean.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Just got it today. It will have plates tomorrow. I'm nervous, as I haven't really ridden in like 3 years, but I'm excited as hell. I'm leaving work early tomorrow to come home and just ride around town. I kind of want to change the paint to a flat white, but I would want to do it on the cheap. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears!

1) that paint scheme is hot as poo poo. do not loving change it
2) white not done professionally looks cheap. do not loving do that
3) seriously dont repaint that. if you want to find some cheap replacement fairings and paint those or something.

Ammanas fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Apr 14, 2010

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ReelBigLizard posted:

Fap.

Da-uym. :monocle:

Man. A late 70s / early 80s MX bike like Honda XR/XL or something done up as supermoto would be so sweet.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ammanas posted:

1) that paint scheme is hot as poo poo. do not loving change it

Iterating this. You have a tigerstripe motorcycle. Leave it the gently caress alone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Phy posted:

Iterating this. You have a tigerstripe motorcycle. Leave it the gently caress alone.
Are these especially rare or something?

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Are these especially rare or something?

No, thats the stock paint job on that year and make. And that isn't a tiger stripe, it's a distended kanji.

Watommi
Dec 17, 2004

I am all that is man.

dietcokefiend posted:

Prepping for my trip back to WI.

Is the lawnmower going back to WI with you?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

If you want to do it, wrap it in flat white vinyl wrap. Protects the stock stuff, easy to take it back to stock, cheap, and the color you want.

VeRT MaN
Jun 6, 2006

Eat Shit and DIE
Photo from online, but my bike looks exactly like that, same color and all. 48 Sportster I was lucky enough to get a hold of. Got it with 3 miles, now it has 39! I love the throwback look, if you will, and it rides perfectly.

O'riginal
Jul 6, 2004
no images allowed
Fun Shoe

auruspex posted:

Lurked for long enough now that I feel a little more comfortable posting :)

Here's my bike:

2007 Yamaha V-Star Silverado 1100

These are awesome bikes, they handle very well for a heavy bike and they're really comfortable. Beautiful!

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Rode the bike for the first time tonight. Was exceptionally enjoyable. As in, I haven't had that much fun since the first time I got on a bike. And that was the most fun in my life.

I did find out that it needs a new battery though. At 10:30pm 20 miles from home. The AAA guy taught me how to do a new trick where you put it in second, push it, then pop the clutch. New to me!

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

O'riginal posted:

These are awesome bikes, they handle very well for a heavy bike and they're really comfortable. Beautiful!

Agreed. A professor of mine at school traded in his Boulevard for one and loves it. The dude rides that thing freaking everywhere now.

So yeah, great machine you have there.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Got my very own motorcycle today. 05' FZ600. Hooray!

Mcqueen fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 18, 2010