Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Wombot posted:

So correct me if I'm wrong here, but he says 1 mile every 1.6 seconds. That's 5760 mph, or mach 7.5 at Sea Level (8.64 @ 85,000 feet).

Mach 7.5.

I want to say he might have embellished a bit on that speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Muffinpox posted:

This is like explorers in the 1600s, they would come back with fanciful tales of monsters and dragons. Later on people went after the pioneers and guess what, there isn't poo poo that's exciting; the magic is gone and no one cares anymore when huge revolutions come in small pieces.

I think that's why public support cooled for things like space flight, but I was trying to make a different point.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

dietcokefiend posted:

I want to say he might have embellished a bit on that speed.

"1.6 miles every second" is a fairly precise embellishment.

Regardless, even if he was doing 1.6 km/s, that's still mach 4.7 @ sea level.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Wombot posted:

you got it backwards. he said 1 mile / 1.6 seconds, not 1.6 miles per second.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

NightGyr posted:

Yeah. 60/1.6 = 37.5 miles per minute = 2250 mph. Right what it should be.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

OptimusMatrix posted:

I read the whole thread but I'm not sure if this story was posted. It's an article from Gizmodo about a Sled Driver on a mission over Libya. It's a heart racing read.
I don't care if I HAD read that before, that's one of those stories that I would want to read again anyway. My favorite part was about looking at the Milky Way

I want to read Sled Driver, but can't justify the cost :(

nurrwick posted:

Lately, I've come to the desire to go down and catch a shuttle launch
I wonder if I can find some way to catch STS-131...

VikingSkull posted:

This thread just made me really sad :(

you loving downers
Yeah :(

Frank Dillinger posted:

pretty sure the pilot was Brian Shul, going by the story about his model SR-71. In related news, ITS HERE! ITS HERE! I HAVE SLED DRIVER, BITCHES :D
I am not even sure what is IN the book. YOU BETTER GIVE ONE HELL OF A TRIP REPORT!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Wombot posted:

But he's not at sea level, he's way the hell up into the stratosphere. And he wasn't doing 1.6 km/s, but one mile every 1.6 s which is 1 km/s.

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/mach.html

25908 meters altitude (85k feet) and 1000 m/sec = Mach 3.369

This is based on a standard day so unknown factors are exact altitude and the temp/pressure of that day.

edit: so excited about sperging I missed the others, but at least I brought a NASA link to the game.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
Why are they called sled drivers?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
Santa flies mach 3 at 80,000 feet?

Best part of the whole thing. "Aspen 20, I show you at 1,982 knots on the ground." :smug:

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Frank Dillinger posted:

In related news, ITS HERE! ITS HERE! I HAVE SLED DRIVER, BITCHES :D

oh you utter, utter bastard.

I'll give you twenty bucks for it once you're done :)

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Preoptopus posted:

Santa flies mach 3 at 80,000 feet?

Best part of the whole thing. "Aspen 20, I show you at 1,982 knots on the ground." :smug:
Our radar displays only show two digit speed in tens and hundreds. Not sure how they got such a specific figure.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

The Ferret King posted:

Our radar displays only show two digit speed in tens and hundreds. Not sure how they got such a specific figure.

Depends on the system. Ours reads down to singles, but nobody bothers reading that far because it's not accurate enough.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

NightGyr posted:

Welp, I'm a dumbass. Thanks.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
This thread needs more Eagles.

Screwing around at the hush house before a burner run, thought this was a pretty sweet angle.

VTEC's kicking in, yo!

My baby. I loved this jet, it might have been useless in a real war (2-seat training varient) but drat if I didn't love that jet like a child!

Easily my favorite picture of me, I got called in to do a launch at 0300 one day and didn't know the base paper was there photographing me. It made the front page a few days later and being a reletively new airman, I was thrilled. I have the full-sized file and its been my wallpaper ever since.

I work on F-22's now and while it is a sexy aircraft (I just noticed today that the tips of the wings droop ever so slightly and its very aesthetically pleasing), but there's a special place in my heart for the F-15. Some crusty old chief told me once that you fall in love with the first jet you crew and like any first love, nothing ever really replaces it.

I went to the Air Force museum at Wright-Patt a few months back and it was amazing. I'll have to get around to uploading the pictures I took.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I have the full-sized file and its been my wallpaper ever since.

Would you mind posting it? It's a drat good photo.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Would you mind posting it? It's a drat good photo.

Yeah, the original is here, its too big for waffleimage
http://www.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/080423-F-0523M-168.JPG

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Yeah, the original is here, its too big for waffleimage
http://www.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/080423-F-0523M-168.JPG

Awesome and thanks! It's now in my rotation. :)

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Awesome and thanks! It's now in my rotation. :)

Hells yeah, I'm famous :smug:

Found this in my folders.

The Hornet and the Flanker sure are cute.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

InterceptorV8 posted:

Why are they called sled drivers?

I'm guessing they're likening the plane to rocket sleds.

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure
nvm; missed a page.

Mobius1B7R
Jan 27, 2008

The Hornet and the Flanker sure are cute.

Fulcrum. :P

Mobius1B7R
Jan 27, 2008

Wow a double post, I am an idiot. Well lets make something fun out of this, what is the best engine noise to your ears? I personally love the howl of the RBs on the 757.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Mobius1B7R posted:

Wow a double post, I am an idiot. Well lets make something fun out of this, what is the best engine noise to your ears? I personally love the howl of the RBs on the 757.

You really have to ask?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBmm5YnoKsk

[e] this one is better. Love that scream just before it passes you.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Mobius1B7R posted:

The F-15 in full afterburner on takeoff.

Which makes me insanely jealous of that rear end in a top hat a few posts up.

rowebot44
Feb 21, 2006
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-Gas0LCl3o

Jets are nice but when you have a bunch of old warbirds going past just give you a tingle that you don't get from turbines.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Mobius1B7R posted:

Anything with an obscenely large piston engine.

I had the chance to see about a dozen Spitfires flying in formation a couple of years ago, and the sound of that many Merlins and Griffons running simultaneously was absolutely breathtaking.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-UFCyrunpY

My favourite is the sound of four Merlins. I remember well one day working in the workshop and hearing this, I poke my head out the door to see it doing a banking turn over the field next door.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Every year there's an air show in at the Chino Airport. I was working at Staples at the time and had forgotten about the air show.

Shortly after noon the entire building shook, like three times, had no idea what the gently caress, until I walked outside and saw the 4 F16s flying in formation over the store.

Also there is a sweet yellow flying wing that is kept at the Air Museum at Chino that flys.

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!
That yellow N9M might be in this shot, one of my favorite aviation photos. Two graceful little wings, with the huge YB-35 flying wing bomber behind them.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Mobius1B7R posted:

If you really, really need it, there's no sound like a bunch of Pave Lows http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tMzSQQ2rpk

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Mobius1B7R posted:

I don't know if it's my favorite, but the Starfighter howl is something special. Here's two taxi demos from Bodø, Norway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v8m7A63otQ

Howling at 1:46-ish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozIRwMhRVRY

Howling at 0:53

This resonance happens somewhere around the throttle setting used for approach, so since it was easily heard from the ground the Starfighter got its local nickname; "the Westfjord Bull".

Ola fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Apr 9, 2010

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Schindler's Fist posted:

That yellow N9M might be in this shot, one of my favorite aviation photos. Two graceful little wings, with the huge YB-35 flying wing bomber behind them.

Reading up on this made me realize how cut-throat multi-billion dollar defense contracts must be, and what incredible havoc can be wreaked with just one paid-off mechanic. What an amazing aircraft to have failed utterly. The wikipedia said that one of them crashed due to an overspeed in a stall recovery because they were too low drag(?)...

Sucks that we didn't build more B-2 bombers to pay his family back. Dude got screwed.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
Sorry, but I think this has got to be the coolest shot of all of a Northrop flying wing. I believe it was a last ditch effort to impress congress enough for full production funding. Sadly it didn't work :(

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Apr 9, 2010

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mobius1B7R posted:

Seen enough F-4 flybys as a kid that it still sticks with me.

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

when i move you move, just like that

Mobius1B7R posted:

When the F35 AA1 took off, it had this really ghostly howl to it when they first launched. The current 35s also have it somewhat, but they redid part of the air intake so you dont hear it as much. The 22s also kind of have it.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

F-15 stuff

To anyone who has a favorite plane other than the F-15, you'd appreciate seeing one do a full power climb in person. It's amazing, and you'll realize why there's not a MiG on this planet that can run with it.

Mobius1B7R posted:

Whatever is on the C-5. I've said it's annoying because after 3 decades it can be at times....but that shriek is just so powerful.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 9, 2010

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
There are some middling strange airplane pictures here:
http://planeshots.tumblr.com/
and
http://xplanes.tumblr.com/

Updated pretty regular like. I know a lot of airplanes, and xplanes finds ones I've never heard of before with some regularity.

There is also this:
http://up-ship.com/blog/

Which has lots of drawings and documents of experimental never-rans, but also has lots of dumbshit politics and pictures of his cats. Mixed bag.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
I was watching a show the other day about stunt aircraft and how they can pull upwards of 13g. I think the most I've ever seen a fighter capable of is ~9g. Is this done because of the weight of the fighter vs. stunt plane or because the pilots in a stunt plane are only subjected to that force for a very short time?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
My library loan of Sled Driver came today :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jandrese
Apr 3, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
~9g is right on the edge of what the human body can take with a g-suit. 13g is defiantly pushing it, although if the maneuver is short enough you can probably get away with it.