Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I love that waterfall octane2.

Edit: I'll put this one too.

TomR fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 30, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

whaam posted:

Holy poo poo, loving this.

Me too. The falloff of the light near the bottom is fantastic, and the tones of soft and lovely.

ElroySmin
Oct 21, 2005
A couple midafternoon sun shots from turkey and south america - this summer i'll be out on a cycle tour & will hopefully be up early enough to catch some decent light every day

The Euphrates running through eastern turkey, immediately after the Ataturk Dam.

Cityscape of Sanli urfa, turkey

Calcium deposits in Turkey - I really should have composed/cropped the right side of that image to give it some balance

Atacama desert, chile

All shot on a d40 kit lens sans tripod - I'm at least bringing an ultrapod with me next time I'm out on a photo taking mission, the shots in here are inspiring (also - getting my rear end out of my house/hostel/hotel/tent before noon would be nice)

Omena
Aug 29, 2008

One day we will die
and our ashes will fly from the aeroplane over the sea
This thread has reminded me that I've done next to no landscape photography since acquiring my D40.

These were taken in the Galloway region of Scotland.

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

Omena posted:

This thread has reminded me that I've done next to no landscape photography since acquiring my D40.

These were taken in the Galloway region of Scotland.

With the first, I think it's overexposed. My eyes are drawn to the grasses, but there's very little detail there and it's blown out a bit. The detail in the sky is lost as well. You may be able to adjust the exposure in Lightroom or something to get a little bit of that detail back.

With the second, the sky is beautiful. For me, I find capturing the water at high speed looks ugly for lakes and fairly still bodies of water. Try retaking that same shot with a longer exposure (using lower ISO or a ND filter to help stop it down) to smooth out the water, or get a day when you can catch the reflections off the lake.

The exposure on the last one is good, but there's not enough perspective on the grasses to give them much texture- a higher vantage, pointed down towards the grasses might have caught the tops of them a bit better. With that said, try two crops of this- one with almost all sky, the other with almost all grass- I think you will notice a dramatic difference in the impact of the shot.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

ElroySmin posted:

A couple midafternoon sun shots from turkey and south america - this summer i'll be out on a cycle tour & will hopefully be up early enough to catch some decent light every day

The Euphrates running through eastern turkey, immediately after the Ataturk Dam.

Cityscape of Sanli urfa, turkey

Calcium deposits in Turkey - I really should have composed/cropped the right side of that image to give it some balance

Atacama desert, chile

All shot on a d40 kit lens sans tripod - I'm at least bringing an ultrapod with me next time I'm out on a photo taking mission, the shots in here are inspiring (also - getting my rear end out of my house/hostel/hotel/tent before noon would be nice)

My god, that sky. Did you use a filter, or do any post work on these?

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

thetzar posted:

My god, that sky. Did you use a filter, or do any post work on these?

The gradient from pale blue to navy bluish-black is a dead polarizer giveaway. Certainly possible to do in post, but just screwing on a polarizer is much, much easier.

ElroySmin
Oct 21, 2005

orange lime posted:

The gradient from pale blue to navy bluish-black is a dead polarizer giveaway. Certainly possible to do in post, but just screwing on a polarizer is much, much easier.

Correct. When it's that dry and/or you're at crazy elevation, the polarizer does wild things with the sky

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

octane2 posted:

Here's a few more from me...

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
1/100s f/5.6 at 17.0mm iso400

Darken the greens in the top left by maybe half a stop and this will be absolute gold.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

Hooray for good weather in an otherwise lovely climate!

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

Here's my best from my trip to Muir Woods this week. I was lucky for these given the park was experiencing "field trip day" and I had my impatient family with me.

I would really appreciate critique!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

ElroySmin posted:

I like this photo. Could you try a square crop? Holding up my hands it looks like it would balance nicely if you centered it to the left a bit.

Found this place randomly in northwest Oklahoma. Color or B&W?

I forgot to throw on the polarizer since my car was going to be towed in 15 minutes and I had to run 1.5 miles down a mountain sooooo

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

Interrupting Moss posted:

I like this photo. Could you try a square crop? Holding up my hands it looks like it would balance nicely if you centered it to the left a bit.

I forgot to throw on the polarizer since my car was going to be towed in 15 minutes and I had to run 1.5 miles down a mountain sooooo

Black and white for me. The colors are nice, but still fairly washed out (the subject, not the post), but the detail and contrast look far better to me in B&W.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

What was the nearest town? B&W.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

I think they're both nice and it just comes down to preference, although with the color version you can push it further with levels and the WB needs to be cool'd down a little - i think that is what is giving the B&W version the slight edge right now.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The colour version has potential. Try mucking around with the levels. Bringing in the low and mid will really give it some punch.

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Finally been getting around to experimenting with grad filters, nothing very special but I quite like how it came out:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Whitezombi posted:

What was the nearest town?
Fairview. Google Maps link to exact location. I found the general area by looking at topographical maps and Google street view.

Here's a better color version; I'm always conservative with colors. I still like the B&W version better.

e: also I hadn't calibrated in about two weeks; ever since I upgraded to Windows 7 Huey doesn't prompt me every 48 hours for calibration. No wonder no one liked the first color version.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 9, 2010

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Fairview. Google Maps link to exact location. I found the general area by looking at topographical maps and Google street view.

Here's a better color version; I'm always conservative with colors. I still like the B&W version better.

I do not know how I missed that place - I went water skiing at Canton Lake all the drat time. Must have been the massive amounts of beer and weed.

glassbottle
Aug 15, 2003
Witty one-liner.
Here I am failing at water. :downs:

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
This seems to be the best thread to ask this in: I'm looking to replace my crappy 18-55mm kit lens that came with my D40, does anyone have any recommendations for a decent wide angle lens to save up for? Right now I'm looking at the Nikon 24mm f/2.8 or 20mm f/2.8 and the sigma 10-20mm.

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

Holistic Detective posted:

This seems to be the best thread to ask this in: I'm looking to replace my crappy 18-55mm kit lens that came with my D40, does anyone have any recommendations for a decent wide angle lens to save up for? Right now I'm looking at the Nikon 24mm f/2.8 or 20mm f/2.8 and the sigma 10-20mm.

17-35mm 2.8? I took one on vacation with my D80, and it was a great lens. I rented it though, and you may be saving a while- I think they're about $1200-$1500.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
I don't think the 24 2.8 would give you many more options of your kit lens, kit lens is already sharp around the wide end and is like f/4 at that length too and you will be shooting around f/8 for landscapes mostly anyway. For the same reason I'm going to have to say the 17-35 2.8 probably isnt a good idea either, unless of course you want to go fullframe then its an entire different story. The best options for ultra-wide right now (giving you something new) are the tokina 11-16 2.8 and the sigma 10-20 3.5 but obviously if you do want to go fullframe these are crop only lenses.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
Some beautiful shots on the last page, heres one from me. ISO 400 and I don't like using noise ninja, deal w/ it.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

hybr1d posted:

Here's my best from my trip to Muir Woods this week. I was lucky for these given the park was experiencing "field trip day" and I had my impatient family with me.

I would really appreciate critique!

My biggest complaint is the blown sky to the left. I know, limitation of the camera but it is fairly distracting. The photo itself wouldn't be bad except for that. I normally hate HDR but this may have been a good candidate for it done tastefully and realistically.

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

Dracon Wolf posted:

My biggest complaint is the blown sky to the left. I know, limitation of the camera but it is fairly distracting. The photo itself wouldn't be bad except for that. I normally hate HDR but this may have been a good candidate for it done tastefully and realistically.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not certain how much HDR would have helped here, outside of a full-on composite of two different shots, much like a sunset. The creek was in full shade, and the area on the upper left was from where the 10am sun was breaking through the canopy. I guess that will teach me to either bracket the poo poo out of everything or just stick to the first hour of daylight.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

hybr1d posted:

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not certain how much HDR would have helped here, outside of a full-on composite of two different shots, much like a sunset. The creek was in full shade, and the area on the upper left was from where the 10am sun was breaking through the canopy. I guess that will teach me to either bracket the poo poo out of everything or just stick to the first hour of daylight.

Have you tried "HDR" from a single RAW file? It isn't so much true HDR as just bringing out some tonality in the photo. Photomatix will do all the processing automatically for you. I've used to to salvage some blown skies or some black shadows.

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

Dracon Wolf posted:

Have you tried "HDR" from a single RAW file? It isn't so much true HDR as just bringing out some tonality in the photo. Photomatix will do all the processing automatically for you. I've used to to salvage some blown skies or some black shadows.

I'll look into those, but I went back to my shot with the lower exposure and looked in Lightroom to see what the lowest exposure of that area of the shot- there is very little detail to be salvaged there. Thanks though- I personally would like to see far more feedback in these threads.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
Going much earlier or on a day where the sky is more diffused is definitely the best option you have, I recently took a similar shot to this were it was just ruined thanks to daylight. Otherwise I think the best option is to use a GND filter and just slant it towards the left, of course you could just take an exposure and mask it in too. I find that using ssoftare that automatically creates your HDR, for a scene like this where there are a lot of moving objects, it will probably turn out pretty badly or messy thanks to stuff not aligning up.

Sculptures on a rock!

fenner fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 11, 2010

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg
I found this picture while going through all my old photos and I like it. I'd like some critique though. I just got myself a T2i and am pretty much just starting out with photography and I'm basically not sure if this photo is decent enough to use as kind of a "hey you did something right here" idea or if it actually sucks! :pwn:

northward
Feb 21, 2006

ABERDEEN ARE AWESOME
fit like
:love:moray cup:love:
:love:sheep:love:

:love:haim:love:

All taken at Loch Awe (Loch awwww poo poo), Scotland. All from http://www.flickr.com/photos/northward

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

northward posted:

You had a good idea here, the processing is just flat and the position of the people could be better.

Tongsy
Aug 22, 2007
Took this one tonight. Really like the colour of the sky.

Tongsy fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 14, 2010

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
One from the weekend.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Disgustipated posted:

I think you did something right here. It isn't a particularly compelling subject, but you had good timing and placement of the sun. The whole thing looks rather hazy though, and I don't think that adds anything to the photo.

northward posted:

I actually really like this one as-is.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I'm trying some more extreme post processing here:

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Dread Head posted:

One from the weekend.

I like this one a lot. I know someone in PAD commented that they didn't like the left side of the image, but that's what makes the photo for me.

northward posted:

It's too bad the shadow of whatever you were standing on is present in this one because aside from that it's my favorite of the three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

TomR posted:

On the black and white image: Mask out the sky and process it separately if there's enough density (or information, whatever) there to pull out more contrast. I'm not sure the framing is appropriate for the subject, perhaps fiddle with that? The textures are nice. This feels like an image I would shoot and fiddle with a lot and ultimately end up saying "I just need to go reshoot this with a different mindset." It's frustrating, I know.

The second image is good technically, but don't fall into the "WOW THAT'S A PRETTY SKY" mystique; it takes more than a nice sky. I actually think you could have a nice photo if you cropped out the rocks and tried a square crop on THIS image, perhaps creating just a bit more tonal variance between the sky and the water while doing so.

Dread Head posted:

One from the weekend.

I like this. Pleasant balance. You should go back (if possible) and shoot when the sun is lower, too.

fenner posted:

These are all pleasing images and are well done. I think only the first one stands out as a "winner" shot, owing to the interesting object, the tone of the sky, and overall warmth of the image.

Went back to Gloss Mountains. Spent most of my time eating a sandwich and just sitting there, but I eventually made some photos. Remembered to bring the polarizer this time, as well.