Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
I dont think he emulated, it looks like he pretty much just made a new head and a new sword and stuck it on the previous body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
yeah when I said those are the best miniatures, I was being ironical

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

richyp posted:

I really like the monochromatic blue/turquoise one, it's an impressive effect but very, very difficult to pull off.

Who was the person who painted an entire Hunter or Ranger model using only I think a single color(brown)? I don't remember much except it was a girl who did it, and she was selling the guide to doing it on some website.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Captain Invictus posted:

Who was the person who painted an entire Hunter or Ranger model using only I think a single color(brown)? I don't remember much except it was a girl who did it, and she was selling the guide to doing it on some website.

Not sure, but I think the picture you mean is in the Fantasy thread on the last page, and it is indeed awesome.

EDIT: this one:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Jenn Haley

Combaticus
Jan 14, 2008

Perfection

Dominance

Ultimate

Fighting

Biotechnology
That was made for a miniature mentor tutorial.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

^^^ Screw you, I brought links.

Captain Invictus posted:

It's done by Jen Haley, who is pretty much an amazing artist. She only used two paints, Walnut Brown and Creamy Ivory, to paint that miniature. Her gallery has some amazing stuff in it, and she has a couple good articles.

I also want to mention that that is a Dark Sword Miniature, which is a smallish company that does some really really nice sculpts, and has licensed stuff like Song of Fire and Ice. Also that mouse dude.

Ashcans fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 9, 2010

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Can someone clarify that for me? Im still seeing tone differences (warm and cool) that cant be made with literally just 2 paints.

Are you sure its not Walnut Brown, Cream Ivory and white and black?

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
n/m, according to her gallery it was just the two.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Fyrbrand posted:

For some reason I seem to remember reading that white and black were used too, only to mix with the two colors. I have no idea if that's true or not though.

it pretty much has to be, there are different hues on that model

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Yea, I am literally a fumbling retard when it comes to painting theory and stuff, so I can't really help you. This is the blurb that she has for it on her site:

quote:

This was my third go at a monochrome miniature, a male ranger sculpted by Jeff Grace for Dark Sword and painted for a video tutorial. I like the dynamic pose of this model, and thought he would look interesting in the simple color scheme. RMS Walnut Brown and Creamy Ivory were the only two paints used.

I imagine that you could get the full breakdown in the tutorial, but its something you have to pay for from another site and I don't like you that much, PV!

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Ashcans posted:

but its something you have to pay for from another site and I don't like you that much, PV!

Haters be hatin'

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Someone post that badass WW2 diorama that's done all in black and white, tia.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

There are no 2 colors that can be mixed to create these 3 colors

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

PaintVagrant posted:

There are no 2 colors that can be mixed to create these 3 colors

You sure that darkest color isn't the brown, and the middle one on the brace is a mixture of the two?

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
The really dark (black areas) could just be the lighting.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Speaking of monochrome...

This has probably already been posted at some point or other but it's an awesome table. Sadly i can't find any better pictures of it right now but it looks amazing in person and it's awesome to play on.

And i'd be willing to attribute the hue differences on that mini to photography/adjustment/image compression.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

lighttigersoul posted:

You sure that darkest color isn't the brown, and the middle one on the brace is a mixture of the two?

Im pretty sure. Im definitely not implying she was lying or that its been shopped, I just assume she means she used white, black, and 2 hues. But whatever, she is like 800x the painter I am, so what do I know

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Miles O'Brian posted:

Got to admire the skill on that model but I can't say I like the colours at all.

It's very well painted but I agree about the colours. If the blue was replaced with white it'd work a lot better for me.

But I just like white as a filler colour, so maybe I'm biased.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

Im pretty sure. Im definitely not implying she was lying or that its been shopped, I just assume she means she used white, black, and 2 hues. But whatever, she is like 800x the painter I am, so what do I know

I dunno man, your stuff is pretty outstanding, I think you're both up in the realm of painters where it gets pretty hard to quantify the difference. But if you really think she's that much better, don't worry; she also has Aspergers and was compelled to list all of her medications under the website bio.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Yeah, I honestly think to spend like 45 hours on one 28mm model you pretty much have to be OCD as hell and be on ritilin or something

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Don't the GD winners usually spend like months on a single model? gently caress that noise.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Ashcans posted:

she also has Aspergers and was compelled to list all of her medications under the website bio.

I thought you were kidding but...

Jen 'Aspie' Hayley posted:

ABOUT ME

Vital Stats (just for fun)

Name: Jennifer Ann Haley
Height: 5'5" (5'9" in favorite boots)
Weight: 125-135 lbs.
Sex: Female
Gender identification: Feminine
Daily medications: Cymbalta, Wellbutrin, Ultram

Cymbalta - Anti-depressant
Wellbutrin - Anti-depressant
Ultram - Severe Pain Reliever

Must be even harder painting monochrome with the amount of colours chick must be seeing.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Its sad that someone has to take all that daily, and nearly as sad that they feel the need to post it on the internet

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Yea, I actually feel kind of bad about mentioning it now, even though she put it in her bio, that's just sort of how people with aspergers are and there wasn't any reason to draw attention to it so;

Going back to the subject of Eldar, I am getting done with my Lizardmen and the last couple pages here plus the spearhead have gotten me interested in the idea of repainting all my lovely old Eldar, but I need a new cool scheme for them. Current concepts I am working with:

Pick a number and let me know what you think is best, or pick the secret #5 option for 'your ideas suck' or be nice and suggest better ideas!

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Use each of them for different squads. v:shobon:v Maybe pick a different colour for the soulstones in that case.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I kind of dig the assymetrical guy, but yeah, they are similar enough that you could pretty much just use all of those schemes for various squads

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

richyp posted:

I thought you were kidding but...

Cymbalta - Anti-depressant
Wellbutrin - Anti-depressant
Ultram - Severe Pain Reliever

Must be even harder painting monochrome with the amount of colours chick must be seeing.

Just :420: dat poo poo. Save money, :whatup:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

!amicable posted:

Just :420: dat poo poo. Save money, :whatup:

I know a guy that pretty much just does this. Sits at home and paints incredibly and gets stoned because he has legitimate medical/psychologial issues and it's just easier that way.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

I kind of dig the assymetrical guy, but yeah, they are similar enough that you could pretty much just use all of those schemes for various squads

chelsea clinton posted:

Use each of them for different squads. v:shobon:v Maybe pick a different colour for the soulstones in that case.

Now that I think about it, they used to do this for guardians all the time (up to doing changes for every guy in the squad) so it would be a pretty cool idea to just vary between those schemes. You don't think that the Bone/Gold one (3) would be too different from the others?

Part of my concept is that the Aspect Warriors would share more colors in common with the main army than is described to try and tie everything back together and create a more coherent look than I currently have. Do you think that its enough to spread these three colors (Bleached Bone, Burnished Gold, and Hawk Turquoise) through the army, or should I try to pick a single color to link everything? I was thinking of using Bleached Bone as the dominant color for everything, and then giving Aspect warriors helmet/accent colors based on their typical scheme - blue for Avengers, Red for Dragons, Green for Scorpions, etc.

Rikthor
Sep 28, 2008
Primer problem, I was using GW's White primer and after letting it dry I found multiple places where the primer "cracked" and some fuzzy primer spots as well. Is this all due to humidity? The reason I ask, is because I also primed the base of the model(was seperate) with P3's black primer and had no issues other than it takes longer to dry. Just trying to find out where the flub up I made is at.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Ashcans posted:

Yea, I actually feel kind of bad about mentioning it now, even though she put it in her bio, that's just sort of how people with aspergers are and there wasn't any reason to draw attention to it so;

Going back to the subject of Eldar, I am getting done with my Lizardmen and the last couple pages here plus the spearhead have gotten me interested in the idea of repainting all my lovely old Eldar, but I need a new cool scheme for them. Current concepts I am working with:

Pick a number and let me know what you think is best, or pick the secret #5 option for 'your ideas suck' or be nice and suggest better ideas!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Ashcans posted:

Now that I think about it, they used to do this for guardians all the time (up to doing changes for every guy in the squad) so it would be a pretty cool idea to just vary between those schemes. You don't think that the Bone/Gold one (3) would be too different from the others?

Part of my concept is that the Aspect Warriors would share more colors in common with the main army than is described to try and tie everything back together and create a more coherent look than I currently have. Do you think that its enough to spread these three colors (Bleached Bone, Burnished Gold, and Hawk Turquoise) through the army, or should I try to pick a single color to link everything? I was thinking of using Bleached Bone as the dominant color for everything, and then giving Aspect warriors helmet/accent colors based on their typical scheme - blue for Avengers, Red for Dragons, Green for Scorpions, etc.

Id do this, but ditch the red/blue/green ideas, because all of those colors are really bold and will clash like crazy with your current scheme. Id go for something more subtle

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If given those colours I would use turquoise, bone and gold in varying patterns and degrees for armour and weapons, purple for cloth and some other colour for eyes and soulstones. I'd maybe give aspect warriors an accent colour if I only had bone and gold as a base.

What kind of army are you planning to field? Do you want the colour scheme to indicate that it's a guardian, an avenger, a wraithlord or whatever?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Do regular space marine torso fronts fit easily on Terminator backs, or do they take a shitload of work to fit?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Ashcans posted:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Ashcans posted:

If it's Guardians, you could put the gold on the heavy weapons crew or on the special weapons for Storm Guardians, or if you want to do just one you could make it the exarch-in-training, so to speak.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Crackbone posted:

Do regular space marine torso fronts fit easily on Terminator backs, or do they take a shitload of work to fit?

They're much smaller

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

Id do this, but ditch the red/blue/green ideas, because all of those colors are really bold and will clash like crazy with your current scheme. Id go for something more subtle

Just so I'm clear, I would basically be replacing the Turquoise with each color's aspect, not adding it onto the existing three-color combination - so Dragons wouldn't have any turquoise, just the gold/bone/red. You think that would make them clash with the overall force more than bring them together? I'm open to suggestions, I'm not really sure how to make the connection more subtle.

chelsea clinton posted:

If given those colours I would use turquoise, bone and gold in varying patterns and degrees for armour and weapons, purple for cloth and some other colour for eyes and soulstones. I'd maybe give aspect warriors an accent colour if I only had bone and gold as a base.

What kind of army are you planning to field? Do you want the colour scheme to indicate that it's a guardian, an avenger, a wraithlord or whatever?

I'm not sure what would be a good color for lens and soulstones, if not the purple - I feel like green or blue would be too close to the turquoise, so maybe a bright red/orange? I am bad at color theory even with this wheel.

My intent here is to repaint all my Eldar into a coherent force, so it includes basically everything - all the aspects, guardians, jetbikes, vypers, wraithlords, the whole hog. My thought was to paint all of the 'militia' in the turquoise/bone/gold scheme (that includes vehicles, wraithlords, guardians - basically everything expect characters, rangers, and Aspects). The Aspect warriors I was intending to paint using bone/gold/varying aspect color, but it seems like that might end up clashing when you see the whole thing. I guess that I could use the same bone/turquoise/gold for all the aspects, because the actual miniatures are very different and might not need that visual differentiation.

And Fix, I like the idea of using the more-gold scheme for specific guardians in the units, I could also diversify that to mark the Shuriken cannon jetbikes and a 'lead' walker, its a good idea.

Edit: Thank you guys for all the input - if I get tired of working on the Slann you all told me how to paint, I'll try mocking up the scheme on spare Guardians I have around here somewhere.

Ashcans fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 9, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Yeah I guess what Im saying is if youre going to use reds/greens, make sure they are somewhat muted and not straight out of the pot intense

• Locked thread