Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Got bark busters and a big ol thick skidplate for the KTM. All I need are radiator guards now. I also got a new chest protector, and some various stuff for the WR. I have to repack the WR's steering head bearings this weekend and do brake pads, and try and figure out if I blew a seal in the front master cylinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
I wired the FZ1 for my electric gear and installed grip heaters. The heaters I could find locally are ATV heaters and warned that they are not intended for use on motorcycles as they might melt the throttle sleeve.

Promises, promises. Lets see just how well they do heat up. :supaburn:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Arg, the ZZR was smoking when I got to work (probably didn't seat the valve cover gasket correctly) and in my haste to look at it, I didn't put the key in my pocket like I usually do...and now the key is gone :(

They took the key and not the bike? That'd make me paranoid as all hell. That sucks.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Checked to see if they handed it in at any local business/office?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

sirbeefalot posted:

They took the key and not the bike? That'd make me paranoid as all hell. That sucks.

Who knows. I could have dropped it on the way in to my office...:iiam: Bike's insured though, so I'm not too concerned about it, and I'll be selling it to a friend from canada in a few days so it should be fine.

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Checked to see if they handed it in at any local business/office?

Yeah, I contacted the campus lost and found, hopefully they'll get back to me. I'll check with the shop that's right below the parking structure tomorrow...they were, of course, closing as I walked up to the bike, and closed when I came back down.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Uthor posted:

Thanks. The AMA one sounds nice, especially since they do other things for motorcycle riders, too. I'll check both to make sure it's what I need, though.

I went with the AMA. Seemed cheaper for what I need. Plus, 10% of Char-Broil grills! (I need a new one.)

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Bought some new bike boots and now they're calling for snow :(

:canada:

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Bucephalus posted:

I suppose it would be. I stand corrected.

The bike don't wear the gear...thanks for stereotyping.

Aw man, I'm just having a little fun. All motorcycles are fine by me. I've owned cruisers, sportbikes, and tourers. I'm just sick of the open face helmet, leather vest, no gloves wearing riders.

/edit I'm still in shock that riders in Michigan are trying to get the helmet law repealed. WTF? We already pay $200 per bike into the Michigan Catastrophic fund. I'm sure they will double it to cover jackasses who are too good for helmets.

Crayvex fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 8, 2010

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows

Z3n posted:

Arg, the ZZR was smoking when I got to work (probably didn't seat the valve cover gasket correctly) and in my haste to look at it, I didn't put the key in my pocket like I usually do...and now the key is gone :(

Whenever this happens to me, I always find my key in the lock that pops the seat off. (it just occurred to me that I don't know if that has a special name. any ideas?)

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

cmorrow001 posted:

(it just occurred to me that I don't know if that has a special name. any ideas?)

I believe the correct name for that part is "bike key black hole"

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

8ender posted:

Heh, saw that this morning on the Guelph/Kitchener forecast. Not exactly unexpected for this time of year, but last week just put everyone in a summer frame of mind, :)

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

Heh, saw that this morning on the Guelph/Kitchener forecast. Not exactly unexpected for this time of year, but last week just put everyone in a summer frame of mind, :)

It was wonderful last week. I don't think I've ever had so much ride time in March and April. I'm still kicking myself for buying a mesh jacket and living in Ontario but maybe this summer I'll have the last laugh.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

cmorrow001 posted:

Whenever this happens to me, I always find my key in the lock that pops the seat off. (it just occurred to me that I don't know if that has a special name. any ideas?)

Yeah I checked there. The ZZR actually has 2 of them, one on each side. One's a helmet lock and the other is the seat latch. But no dice :(

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

8ender posted:

:alaska: :negative:

It snowed here Tuesday, just a dusting but gently caress. Now it's sunny but 20ºF. I was planning to get some rides in this week while I'm off but I'm not 100% sold on the idea of a long ride at 20º. Meanwhile it's baking on the east coast.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Having sold my GS, my FZ1 is now my primary bike. It came with a Akropovic pipe installed and the original pipe was included. the Ak pipe defintely adds power and snap to the bike but it's loud and seems to vibrate the whole bike at certain frequencies, making for a less than pleasant ride. The stock pipe is absurdly heavy and bulky and the bike seems to run rich with it installed, I'm guessing the original owner jetted the bike for the Ak. I'm trying to figure out how to quiet the Ak down without choking it down too much.

"If it's too loud you're too old". Well then GTFOff my lawn you drat kids!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

VTNewb posted:

Got bark busters and a big ol thick skidplate for the KTM. All I need are radiator guards now. I also got a new chest protector, and some various stuff for the WR. I have to repack the WR's steering head bearings this weekend and do brake pads, and try and figure out if I blew a seal in the front master cylinder.

If you don't have knee protectors buy some. I'm walking around the office like a loving gimp with a bruised knee cap from last weekend.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gnomad posted:

Having sold my GS, my FZ1 is now my primary bike. It came with a Akropovic pipe installed and the original pipe was included. the Ak pipe defintely adds power and snap to the bike but it's loud and seems to vibrate the whole bike at certain frequencies, making for a less than pleasant ride. The stock pipe is absurdly heavy and bulky and the bike seems to run rich with it installed, I'm guessing the original owner jetted the bike for the Ak. I'm trying to figure out how to quiet the Ak down without choking it down too much.

"If it's too loud you're too old". Well then GTFOff my lawn you drat kids!

Search "DB Killer" on ebay. There's a company in the UK that makes them, and depending on which akrapovic you have, you might be able to get a factory quiet core for it.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
I found DB killers, took some measurements of my pipe outlet, bought a small piece of muffler pipe and made my own. Bike still snappy but noise reduced and best of all, the throb that i experienced at normal highway speeds is gone. I figure that if I can hear the gears whine above the sound of the pipe I should be OK.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

If you don't have knee protectors buy some. I'm walking around the office like a loving gimp with a bruised knee cap from last weekend.

I go through a pair of kneepads every year

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

VTNewb posted:

lol

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

VTNewb posted:

Hey, sailor! Where do you live and are you single?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

8ender posted:

It was wonderful last week. I don't think I've ever had so much ride time in March and April. I'm still kicking myself for buying a mesh jacket and living in Ontario but maybe this summer I'll have the last laugh.
I picked up a mesh jacket for this summer, since I mainly ride in and around Toronto. Traffic + hot weather + leather = nasty.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gnomad posted:

I found DB killers, took some measurements of my pipe outlet, bought a small piece of muffler pipe and made my own. Bike still snappy but noise reduced and best of all, the throb that i experienced at normal highway speeds is gone. I figure that if I can hear the gears whine above the sound of the pipe I should be OK.

I sort of figured that you'd look at that and just make your own :)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Just wanted to cross-post this just because of the demo-item they created, and the potential for custom parts manufacturing:

Anybody want a solid-aluminum robot-carved helmet? :downs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnIvhlKT7SY

Freakin' awesome. 5-axis robotic arm, carving solid metal, making incredible detail and with angles and tight spaces I can't even imagine.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
That chunk of aluminum alone is probably in the range of 7-8 grand. gently caress.

I love CNC way too much. I can't express how cool it was the first time I had a model that I built cut out.

I still haven't had a chance to get anything 3D printed, though someone in my class at RIT did with one of their product design projects. $100 for a pair of salt and pepper shakers, but drat if they weren't loving exactly like the SolidWorks model.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

So how many aluminum dicks do you think they made with that?

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Woowee, I took a nice ride out about 2 hours SW of Dallas today, ate some bar-b-q, fed some giraffes. GOOD TIMES!

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Bad Munki posted:

Just wanted to cross-post this just because of the demo-item they created, and the potential for custom parts manufacturing:

This is exciting to me because I can imagine a day when I can just bring a part from my 1966 Yamaha down to a local shop and have it cloned. You will ride forever Yammy!

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
Just finished my first weekend as a Range-aid at the MSF. For the 8 hours (ish) the classes run each day I have 2 hours for lunch, 40 minutes of moving bikes in and out of the trailer, and roughly 45 minutes to an hour of setting up cones.

I listened to a lot of "Stuff you Should Know" podcast and I feel like I know stuff. Also finished "Long dark tea time of the soul." I should be able to get plenty of studying done for work too once that starts up later this year.

If you don't have anything going on during the weekends I highly recommend it. A good opportunity to get outside, spend some time with the bikes, and on lunch break I get to tool around on 'em. I didn't this weekend because I kept forgetting my helmet and I need gloves.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Gnomad posted:

Having sold my GS, my FZ1 is now my primary bike. It came with a Akropovic pipe installed and the original pipe was included. the Ak pipe defintely adds power and snap to the bike but it's loud and seems to vibrate the whole bike at certain frequencies

I had a carbon Yosh on mine, I miss that feeling :(

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Ever have one of those moments that makes you think to yourself "wow my quick reactions are actually good reactions?"

Going around a street I always love to fly down which is a 2-lane curvy low-traffic road with lots of blind turns, I happened across the path of a dude walking down the middle of the lane with his dog. Yea they were on the correct side of the road, but they were in the MIDDLE of the lane. With the sun in my eyes just starting to speed up to fly around the first curve I saw the dude walking their and quickly jerked the handlebars to counter-steer and swing wide to miss them. If an oncoming car was there I might have been hosed but it was my only option outside of hitting the moron or his pet. Seriously... who walks their pet down the middle lane of a two-lane road with lots of blind turns and a speed limit of 40mph?

While I always hate the idea of going into an oncoming lane what other option might have worked? It was in the middle of the curve so standing up and hard braking would have thrown me wide and into the same oncoming lane. Braking fast without going straight would have dropped me on the ground, and keeping my path would have probably resulted in a flat/chopped in half dog.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I had to choose between my own rear end and a dog's, I'd flatten dogs every day.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

dietcokefiend posted:

Ever have one of those moments that makes you think to yourself "wow my quick reactions are actually good reactions?"

My fault:

This happened today. 2 lane road near my house, mini-van with some medical delivery stickers on the side of it turns on his left turn signal. We're going 35-40, normally I will just sneak around turning cars on the right if another car isn't coming the other way. He comes to a complete stop, then instead of turning he hits his RIGHT turn signal, and then turns. :argh: Good thing I was far enough behind him to hit the brakes instead of t-boning him. Stopped REAL quick.

Not my fault:

This also happened later today. Going down a 3-lane one way, and old man in a white Buick is at a stop sign. Pulls out, gets in the center lane (where I'm at) and STOPS. What the gently caress. I get on the brakes, sneak over to the left lane, give him a honk, then go about my business. Then he starts slowyl going over to the right lane so he can make a right turn. :argh:

Not my fault:

Last summer on the old Sportster, going down a 2-lane, 2-way road. Pedo van makes a left turn right in front of me. I give both brakes almost everything they had and lean back. My right foot turns into a 16-bit ABS computer and modulates the living poo poo out of the brake. It was amazing to be on the edge of traction for that second. I was impressed. Slowed down enough to miss the van, kicked it down to second and gave him an earful of all 1200cc's.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Not that there's any shortage of people riding around with no gear at all here, but this guy gets extra credit:

floridarider.jpg

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Not that there's any shortage of people riding around with no gear at all here, but this guy gets extra credit:

floridarider.jpg

"Nah cause imma put it on real quick as I crash."

Reminds me of a guy I ran into at the inspection station who said he took off his helmet as soon as he crossed the state line, cause...you know...it wasn't a law anymore.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Pompous Rhombus posted:

floridarider.jpg

Did you take that today? If so I think I saw him this afternoon as well.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Pompous Rhombus posted:

The fancy back protector over the t-shirt is perfect. Road rash all over, broken limbs, smashed in skull, but hey my back is fine.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Today a friend of a friend on a new Daytona 675 drove his bike into a marsh because he 'Wasn't going to make the turn'. There's lots to laugh at and shake your head at here, but I'm bummed I didn't turn around earlier to see what was up and catch the triumph up to it's seat in water. That woulda been fun.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Did you take that today? If so I think I saw him this afternoon as well.

Yeah, waaay down on 56th street, just over the Palm River bridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Yeah, waaay down on 56th street, just over the Palm River bridge.

Small state I guess, was down there for the weekend for a little beach fun.