Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
Does she look round in the belly? Are you in a situation to keep her? I would have her looked at no matter what. Also congrats :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecha
Dec 20, 2003

「チェンジ ゲッタ-1! スイッチ オン!」

ChairmanMeow posted:

Does she look round in the belly? Are you in a situation to keep her? I would have her looked at no matter what. Also congrats :)

She does, she looked to be decently fed(I can feel her ribs, but there's some fat on there) which also led me to the "fresh stray" idea. Also, I woke up this morning and there was a palm-sized clump in the litter pan, so that made me feel better.
I'm going to call the Humane Society this morning just to see if she's been reported missing, but if no-one sticks their hand up, I'll definitely keep her(and take her in to the vet).

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I was actually thinking I wouldn't be overly shocked if she was pregnant. I don't know why. Either way good on you for not ignoring her.

Mecha
Dec 20, 2003

「チェンジ ゲッタ-1! スイッチ オン!」
OK, I am a complete cat-retard. The Internets inform me that orange tabbies are almost always male...and he chooses tonight to give me a nice wide spread showing off his area.

(pictures that are not of his area)

Click here for the full 1536x2048 image.

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Called all the places to let them know he's been found, and had him scanned for a chip(none), so we'll see if anyone claims him.

However, I've got one more dillema. I've got a three-day weekend coming up, and driving over the mountains to crash at the parents. They've said they wouldn't mind me bringing him, but I don't know how he'd take a 3+ hour car ride, plus an unfamiliar set of rooms for a few days, then a ride back on Sunday(he tolerated a ride over to a local vet for a chip-scan, but wasn't happy). I'm hesitant to leave him by his lonesome in my apartment for the time because I'm afraid he'd get lonely, and I don't think a kennel would permit him since he's not technically mine. Should I look around for someone to come over and spend some time with him for a day or two?

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I worry about my cats being lonely when I'm gone, but it's more me projecting I think. Cats behave differently and the bigger concern is having some one pop in and make sure he doesn't knock his water over or poop in your shoes because the he was up to his knees in pooh in the litter box.
If he wants lovins from that person that's awesome too, but I know my cats hide from anyone who comes by. This cat seems a lot more social though. When I petsit my one friends cat she normally meows at me to sit by her while she eats, then she bites me, just hard enough to remind me she still hates me. I sat one orange cat that loved going in the car, and would have loved to go with you.
I realize I just wrote a big rear end paragraph that says every cat is different, I'm sorry. If it were me, I would just have some one check in every day (or so)because most cats hate the car and new places. You will be home before you know it!

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:
If you have time, take him to the vet before you leave. Call around, lots and lots of clinics will do a free exam on a stray cat. That way before you go you know he's not going to be busting out with a respiratory infection or worms or something. If you have a friend who can go by once or twice a day he'll be fine. It's not the greatest that you have to leave, but I definitely wouldn't take him on a 3+ hour car ride, those can be really traumatizing for already adjusted and familiar cats. The other thing you can do is ask the vet if they have a pet sitter they recommend, often vet techs pet sit on the side and they know what to look for as far as health issues.

Mecha
Dec 20, 2003

「チェンジ ゲッタ-1! スイッチ オン!」
Thanks, all. :)
I'm taking him to a vet tomorrow morning for a quick checkup. At this point my trip is now up in the air due to weather, but if I do go I have someone to pop in to give him food and check on him.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
My cat appears to have a tapeworm; there is a small white tail protruding from her anus wiggling around. Are pet store medications (i.e. http://www.petco.com/product/106501/TradeWinds-Tape-Worm-Tabs-Cat-Tablets.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch) effective or must I take her to the vet?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Ammanas posted:

My cat appears to have a tapeworm; there is a small white tail protruding from her anus wiggling around. Are pet store medications (i.e. http://www.petco.com/product/106501/TradeWinds-Tape-Worm-Tabs-Cat-Tablets.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch) effective or must I take her to the vet?

Ew.

Are you sure it's a tapeworm? Roundworms are small and white and wiggly too. If I wasn't sure I'd personally just take a poo sample to the vet rather than possibly waste money on the wrong meds. It's more expensive than just buying the Petco stuff but it's not a very pricy test, and the prescription meds are typically cheap too. Plus I'd trust prescription meds over that stuff but maybe I'm just paranoid.

Paper Lantern
Nov 7, 2009
Recently my kitten has started standing kind of like a human. He will have his two back legs on the ground and his two front legs up high in the air. He's been doing it a lot and for long periods of time. I've seen dogs do this plenty of times but i've never seen a cat do it. Is this normal kitten behaviour?

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Paper Lantern posted:

Is this normal kitten behaviour?

The only way to really tell is to see a picture.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

ChairmanMeow posted:

The only way to really tell is to see a picture.

Yes. Several. And maybe a video. :3:

That is pretty strange though . . . is he looking at something while doing it or is he just standing there staring into space? Is he walking funny or acting like he's in pain?

Really though, in my experience, kitten behavior can change pretty quickly since they are always learning and trying new things. If they discover some new game they like they'll sometimes do it over and over, like kids. He obviously enjoys doing it so he is probably just going to do it a lot until he gets bored of it.

Paper Lantern
Nov 7, 2009
Most of the time he does it when i'm on the laptop. It makes it look like he's reading whatever it is that I am reading :3:

He doesn't seem to be in any pain and he isn't walking or acting any differently to before. I hope he never gets bored of doing it though. Its so cute. My camera is ready and waiting for next time he does it :)

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Update on Khan. She is my 1-year old cat declawed without my knowledge or consent who had a claw regrow on one of her front paws.

Khan's had the regrowth surgically removed a day after my first post in this thread, so roughly two months ago. She healed up, and while she never limped, she will lift up that paw slightly when she is sitting or standing still. I know many cats that go through a declaw, let alone two, have permanent damage/pain and assumed that was it, but when I was checking her out today after she had run outside (she is an indoor cat), I noticed it grew and I'm thoroughly researching a new vet, but what other options are there? Her foot obviously hurts now, so the previous surgery did more harm than good. I don't like putting her under over and over for a painful procedure, either. :cry:

The Animal Fizz
Feb 14, 2009
I have a question about my demon cat.

She's 8 months old and she will not stop pouncing/biting/scratching/clawing. I am being quite literal: it is CONSTANT. It's really bad and it's getting to the point where I don't even want her around me anymore. I can't even sit down on the couch without being attacked. And when I'm about to go nuts I'll go in another room and close the door, at which point she SCREECHES and claws at the door. That's actually more irritating than the biting, so I usually end up letting her in.

Playing with her helps for maybe 5 minutes, but then she's back at me again. It doesn't really seem like she's playing, either. It really, really hurts.

She's an indoor cat, and we live in a small apartment. My boyfriend built her a scratching post/ tower thing with toys dangling from it, but she really just seems to prefer the taste of human flesh.

Will she grow out of it? She's still a kitten, really. She's been playful ever since I got her (she was 6 weeks old), but it's only become a problem the last couple of weeks.

I don't know if it's relevant, but she's also in heat. We're getting her spayed tomorrow. Any chance that will mellow her the gently caress out?

Also, am I a bad person for being SUPER-EXCITED for tomorrow when she gets back from the vet because she'll conked out from painkillers???

Auracounts
Sep 21, 2006

The Animal Fizz posted:

I have a question about my demon cat.

She's 8 months old and she will not stop pouncing/biting/scratching/clawing. I am being quite literal: it is CONSTANT. It's really bad and it's getting to the point where I don't even want her around me anymore. I can't even sit down on the couch without being attacked. And when I'm about to go nuts I'll go in another room and close the door, at which point she SCREECHES and claws at the door. That's actually more irritating than the biting, so I usually end up letting her in.

Playing with her helps for maybe 5 minutes, but then she's back at me again. It doesn't really seem like she's playing, either. It really, really hurts.

She's an indoor cat, and we live in a small apartment. My boyfriend built her a scratching post/ tower thing with toys dangling from it, but she really just seems to prefer the taste of human flesh.

Will she grow out of it? She's still a kitten, really. She's been playful ever since I got her (she was 6 weeks old), but it's only become a problem the last couple of weeks.

I don't know if it's relevant, but she's also in heat. We're getting her spayed tomorrow. Any chance that will mellow her the gently caress out?

Also, am I a bad person for being SUPER-EXCITED for tomorrow when she gets back from the vet because she'll conked out from painkillers???

Another kitten would probably help this situation tremendously. You got your kitty when she was VERY young - 6 weeks is a tad early to take them away from their mother and littermates. The bigger problem, however, is that if she's an only cat, separated from other cats since 6 weeks, she never learned proper play.

Kittens attacks and play fight all the time. It's one of the ways in which they learn boundaries and the difference between biting and nibbling, or nipping. Same thing with the claws. When you watch two kittens fight, they will give out little distress cries if the other is playing too hard. I suspect yours simply never learned the difference - she IS playing, she just doesn't realize that she is hurting you.

Also, having a second will help mellow her out a bit too - she won't have to exert all her energy on you, because she now has a playmate to tire her out.

You could try making loud noises or cries when she bites/scratches/etc too hard to let her know that she has crossed the line. I'm sure others here will have suggestions, as well. It's hard for me to comment, because I've always gotten my kitties in pairs, so they've always learned fast how hard is too hard.

As far as whether being in heat affects her aggression, that I do not know. I do know it'll mellow her out in the sense that kitty rear end won't constantly be in your face with those low, constant, "IM IN HEAT" meows, so that's a plus. :P

The Animal Fizz
Feb 14, 2009

Auracounts posted:

Another kitten would probably help this situation tremendously. You got your kitty when she was VERY young - 6 weeks is a tad early to take them away from their mother and littermates. The bigger problem, however, is that if she's an only cat, separated from other cats since 6 weeks, she never learned proper play.

Kittens attacks and play fight all the time. It's one of the ways in which they learn boundaries and the difference between biting and nibbling, or nipping. Same thing with the claws. When you watch two kittens fight, they will give out little distress cries if the other is playing too hard. I suspect yours simply never learned the difference - she IS playing, she just doesn't realize that she is hurting you.

Also, having a second will help mellow her out a bit too - she won't have to exert all her energy on you, because she now has a playmate to tire her out.

You could try making loud noises or cries when she bites/scratches/etc too hard to let her know that she has crossed the line. I'm sure others here will have suggestions, as well. It's hard for me to comment, because I've always gotten my kitties in pairs, so they've always learned fast how hard is too hard.

As far as whether being in heat affects her aggression, that I do not know. I do know it'll mellow her out in the sense that kitty rear end won't constantly be in your face with those low, constant, "IM IN HEAT" meows, so that's a plus. :P

Hmm, I never thought of it as being a socialization problem. It's possible, but when we first got her I was living at my mom's house, and she has a cat as well. The cat (Sammy) HATED the kitten. The kitten tortured him. She would pick at him and jump on him and he'd hiss and swipe. Eventually they grew lukewarm to one another and even played together, so it's not like she's never played with another cat. And until I moved into the apartment, she could go inside and outside as she pleased. We lived in a secluded area before, so there was no danger of getting hit by cars or anything. Now we're in a subdivision so I don't want to chance it, and I also just prefer to have her be an indoor cat.

I do shout when she bites, but that's because it legitimately hurts! She doesn't care. I don't understand how it doesn't hurt HER: She headbutted my ankle today when she went to bite me, and it STILL hurts. I can only imagine how it felt on her little noggan.

And the meowing. Oh, how I can't wait for the meowing to end...

Thanks for the advice! :)

Auracounts
Sep 21, 2006

The Animal Fizz posted:

Hmm, I never thought of it as being a socialization problem. It's possible, but when we first got her I was living at my mom's house, and she has a cat as well. The cat (Sammy) HATED the kitten. The kitten tortured him. She would pick at him and jump on him and he'd hiss and swipe. Eventually they grew lukewarm to one another and even played together, so it's not like she's never played with another cat. And until I moved into the apartment, she could go inside and outside as she pleased. We lived in a secluded area before, so there was no danger of getting hit by cars or anything. Now we're in a subdivision so I don't want to chance it, and I also just prefer to have her be an indoor cat.

I do shout when she bites, but that's because it legitimately hurts! She doesn't care. I don't understand how it doesn't hurt HER: She headbutted my ankle today when she went to bite me, and it STILL hurts. I can only imagine how it felt on her little noggan.

And the meowing. Oh, how I can't wait for the meowing to end...

Thanks for the advice! :)

No problem :) I will say this, in the event you consider getting a companion kitty and think it will be more work - it's not. Honestly, I almost think its EASIER, because they attention whore you a bit less than they would otherwise. It's the same amount of feeding/litter changing, but twice the joy! Yes, I feel like a total nerd for saying that...

Obviously, if you considered a companion, you would have to find a cat similar(ish) in age to make sure they socialize well together, then go through the motions of the drawn out introduction (lots of threads in PI about properly introducing kitties) just to make sure they don't hate each other. Good luck!

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Or rescue an older, fat cat. The kitten diet has been fabulous for Ed the fatty and she has slimmed down considerably with the constant threat of Fry from the sky. My kitten is a complete rear end too, but luckily my beagle loves playing with him - his favorite way being shoving his face between Fry's back legs, tipping him over, and then play bowing until Fry bites his floppy face.

When Ed was a kitten, and couldn't torment my sister's cat enough, I was usually able to redirect her assholeness to a toy kitten which she would wrestle for a while. That might be helpful. Rubbing it with catnip also seemed to help :catdrugs:

Auracounts
Sep 21, 2006

Abbeh posted:

Or rescue an older, fat cat. The kitten diet has been fabulous for Ed the fatty and she has slimmed down considerably with the constant threat of Fry from the sky. My kitten is a complete rear end too, but luckily my beagle loves playing with him - his favorite way being shoving his face between Fry's back legs, tipping him over, and then play bowing until Fry bites his floppy face.

When Ed was a kitten, and couldn't torment my sister's cat enough, I was usually able to redirect her assholeness to a toy kitten which she would wrestle for a while. That might be helpful. Rubbing it with catnip also seemed to help :catdrugs:

Oh, if she can find and older kitty that is sociable with the younger ones, all the better! I was a little insensitive in my suggestion, and was not trying to discount the older kitties, who are in greater need of a good home. I guess it's just been my anecdotal experience that they tend to have a greater dislike for the high energy kittens and might not be as playful with her kitten as one of the approximately same age might be,

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
We recently got another cat as a companion to our bengal cat a few months ago. The problem is that he won't stop marking our beds, chairs, etc. They have two litters that are emptied everyday. We took him to the vet and he said he's probably marking (competing with the female bengal). They are both fixed. I kind of tried feliway and it didn't really work. What else can I do to make these cats get along?

Auracounts
Sep 21, 2006

Maximusi posted:

We recently got another cat as a companion to our bengal cat a few months ago. The problem is that he won't stop marking our beds, chairs, etc. They have two litters that are emptied everyday. We took him to the vet and he said he's probably marking (competing with the female bengal). They are both fixed. I kind of tried feliway and it didn't really work. What else can I do to make these cats get along?

Have you tried Nature's Miracle? It's cheap and can be picked up in any pet store. If they are trying to cross mark, they can smell scents that you can't. Maybe the Nature's Miracle can help eradicate ALL scents so the cats won't try to compete?

By the way, I would absolutely love a Bengal. Those cats are so ridiculously beautiful and elegant looking, I can't help but stare and stare whenever anyone posts pictures. :3:

Quick edit to note: I wasn't actually aware that cats marked after being fixed, so this one puzzles me a bit. I actually thought that half the reason to get males fixed early was to prevent them from entering that marking stage (I've heard they can produce some absolutely putrid scents).

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Paper Lantern posted:

Most of the time he does it when i'm on the laptop. It makes it look like he's reading whatever it is that I am reading :3:

He doesn't seem to be in any pain and he isn't walking or acting any differently to before. I hope he never gets bored of doing it though. Its so cute. My camera is ready and waiting for next time he does it :)

Like this? :3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVV_HXtEbLo

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Yeah I've tried nature's miracle. I think it's that Maya (the bengal) is such a bitch to him all the time and it's stressing him out. She screams and hits him whenever he's looking at a window that she wants to look out of. It's crazy. Don't get a bengal. They're too vocal. And mean.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

Maximusi posted:

Yeah I've tried nature's miracle. I think it's that Maya (the bengal) is such a bitch to him all the time and it's stressing him out. She screams and hits him whenever he's looking at a window that she wants to look out of. It's crazy. Don't get a bengal. They're too vocal. And mean.

Did the vet send out a urinalysis?

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
No. He really didn't think there was anything physically wrong with him. I've had a cat with a urinary infection before and he isn't straining or anything.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
Try adding another litter box if AT ALL POSSIBLE. The general rule is number of cats plus one for litterboxes. Where are they placed? Are they close to each other? In a high traffic area?

There's really no way of knowing it's not medical without getting a sample and sending it out (or if he has techs that are competent, looking under a microscope). I would definitely do that just in case.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
The litter boxes are in the garage at the opposite ends. I might do that if it keeps going on.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
You should get another one or at the very least put one in a different room. It really works.

Wizard of Wang
Aug 8, 2004
I just got two wonderful and friendly 4 year old cats. The owner had to get rid of them because his toddler son has asthma and the cats bother it. We just got them into the apartment and set up their litter box and food.

However, they are kinda hiding out at the moment, is this normal with new cats? How long should it take for them to adjust and be comfortable in their surroundings?

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009
I only have experience with one new (friendly) cat, so I can only give an opinion based on her. She definitely hid for the first few days. She would come out if you came over to give her attention, but then she'd go hide as soon as possible after. After a few days though she relaxed and no longer hid. I think it just took her that long to fully explore the apartment and realize that yes, it is safe, and yes, we are good people. Now she follows us everywhere and loves to run around.

Auracounts
Sep 21, 2006

Dr. Waffles posted:

I just got two wonderful and friendly 4 year old cats. The owner had to get rid of them because his toddler son has asthma and the cats bother it. We just got them into the apartment and set up their litter box and food.

However, they are kinda hiding out at the moment, is this normal with new cats? How long should it take for them to adjust and be comfortable in their surroundings?

Totally normal, don't fret! When I brought home my first batch of two littermates, one of them literally spent the first three days hiding behind the toilet in the main bathroom and crying. At the time, it broke my heart a little bit, but in retrospect, it's absolutely hilarious to remember him hugging the toilet.

Then, when those two were about 2, we moved. That really screwed them up for a bit. The non toilet hugging one did NOT take to the move well at all (at first - she's fine now). She was scared, meowed all the time, barely left my bedroom. She was basically freaked the hell out about where she was. She didn't leave the bedroom except to eat and poop, and even that she did very tentatively. Now, she prances around the place like, "This is my house, bitch, what!"

Cats aren't big on change. They will adapt, but you have to give them time. It could take a few days, or even over a week. It all depends on the cat. Just give them as much love and good food as they will allow and they will settle in. :)

Wizard of Wang
Aug 8, 2004

Auracounts posted:

Totally normal, don't fret! When I brought home my first batch of two littermates, one of them literally spent the first three days hiding behind the toilet in the main bathroom and crying. At the time, it broke my heart a little bit, but in retrospect, it's absolutely hilarious to remember him hugging the toilet.

Then, when those two were about 2, we moved. That really screwed them up for a bit. The non toilet hugging one did NOT take to the move well at all (at first - she's fine now). She was scared, meowed all the time, barely left my bedroom. She was basically freaked the hell out about where she was. She didn't leave the bedroom except to eat and poop, and even that she did very tentatively. Now, she prances around the place like, "This is my house, bitch, what!"

Cats aren't big on change. They will adapt, but you have to give them time. It could take a few days, or even over a week. It all depends on the cat. Just give them as much love and good food as they will allow and they will settle in. :)

Yeah I am trying to do that now, talking to them very softly and leaving their food right where they can see it. Red the boy cat just moved his headquarters into the litter box and is strengthening his hold out position. If I attempt to pet him, he is open to it. Neither one of them growl or make angry noises when I do pet them so I think they are still settling in.

Auracounts
Sep 21, 2006

Dr. Waffles posted:

Yeah I am trying to do that now, talking to them very softly and leaving their food right where they can see it. Red the boy cat just moved his headquarters into the litter box and is strengthening his hold out position. If I attempt to pet him, he is open to it. Neither one of them growl or make angry noises when I do pet them so I think they are still settling in.

Very nice :) Just give them time - cats are curious, but if they are anything like mine, they are also very cautious. They will start to get more adventurous in the coming days and after a few weeks, they will have completely taken over your their house.

Wizard of Wang
Aug 8, 2004
Red came out and walked the perimeter of the room, and wanted alot of attention like pettings and was rubbing on my girl and I. Harley is still looking out of her little cubby hole but she has stuck her head out a few times.

Red seems to be settling in just fine. :)

Its hard to express how happy I am to finally have some kitties to call my own at home.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
I have a cat, and he and I have been best buddies ever since I got him at the age of about 2 months. I feel bad that he can't go outside, but I don't want to let him loose. I just recently heard of cat harnesses (kinda like a dog collar, but harder to get out of) that you can use a leash with. I was wondering if you guys have any recommendations on which to look at. I wanna make sure my cat is obviously not going to be able to escape it, but I also don't want to cause unnecessary chafing or restrict his mobility.

I checked the OP but didn't see this mentioned, so forgive me if this has been asked and answered.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

nonanone posted:

Wow. I have never seen a cat stand up for that long. Just standing there looking out at something. I mean I have seen them stand for 10, maybe 15 seconds before going back down to the floor, but that cat stood there for at least 45 seconds, plus any length of time before the video started.

Paper Lantern
Nov 7, 2009

nonanone posted:

Oh wow! He does it kind of like that but for no where near as long.Actually, I haven't seen him doing it since I posted about it the other day :(

That video is so :3:

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

TMMadman posted:

Wow. I have never seen a cat stand up for that long. Just standing there looking out at something. I mean I have seen them stand for 10, maybe 15 seconds before going back down to the floor, but that cat stood there for at least 45 seconds, plus any length of time before the video started.

When my cats 'stand' up, they kinda sit up on their haunches. It's really disconcerting to see one stand up on their tippy toes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Meow Cadet posted:

When my cats 'stand' up, they kinda sit up on their haunches. It's really disconcerting to see one stand up on their tippy toes.
I used to have a roommate who not only had a cat that could stand like that, but also figured out how to turn doorknobs in that position so it could get into the basement whenever it wanted to.

I told her that we had to get it spayed immediately because the next step would be her being able to wield blunt or sharp objects while standing and then our species would be hosed.

Fangs404 posted:

I have a cat, and he and I have been best buddies ever since I got him at the age of about 2 months. I feel bad that he can't go outside, but I don't want to let him loose. I just recently heard of cat harnesses (kinda like a dog collar, but harder to get out of) that you can use a leash with. I was wondering if you guys have any recommendations on which to look at. I wanna make sure my cat is obviously not going to be able to escape it, but I also don't want to cause unnecessary chafing or restrict his mobility.
Have you tried taking him out with just a collar and a leash? Preferably in an area where you can catch him if he gets out of it? I ask this because the three cats I've had were primarily indoor cats so they didn't adjust well to wearing a harness at all. For example, my current cat seems to tolerate a leash and only occasionally manage to wriggle out when he's overly frightened or excited by something. Meanwhile, aside from the huge undertaking of getting it on him, having a harness means he either pouts in a corner or does nothing outside other than make continuous attempts to get out of it. You might want to see if your cat for the most part can be handled that way.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Apr 11, 2010