Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
I'm huge fan of Shpongle, Hallucinogen, Capsula, Younger Brother, Ott (especially Skylon).. Lots of artists off the Twisted label. A bunch of their music can be heard here: http://www.twistedmusic.com/

I'm looking for more music and artists like this. I guess the genres would be: Psytrance, Electronic/Dub, Psychedelic. Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Can anyone recommend some hip hop in a similar vein to Dan Le Sac Vs. Scroobius Pip, please?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

An Old Box posted:

I'm looking for some blues-rock with noodley guitar, or something like Dinosaur Jr.,Them Crooked Vultures or Bleach era Nirvana. Thanks in advance.

This is a pretty broad request but the first thing that comes to mind is the album Meat Puppets II. Some other bands you might like are Screaming Trees, Mudhoney, Melvins, Husker Du, Pixies, Kyuss, Tad... there's a lot actually and I'm sure you already know some of them, so I would check last.fm and get an account there if you don't already have one.

Iraff posted:

shoegaze

just wanted to add, this was Oliver Ackermann's band before A Place to Bury Strangers, so if you like them Skywave is similar, albeit less polished sounding.

As for other newer but less well-known shoegaze bands, Have a Nice Life and their album deathconsciousness are good if you like gloomier stuff like Jesu's first album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri5F633xSsY

Or if you want something more upbeat, I Was a King is a power-pop/shoegaze band with some great guitarwork.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gVRIYGB6XA

zacpol
Jan 11, 2010

Could someone recommend me an artist similar to Squirrel Nut Zippers and/or Caravan Palace? So basically modernized swing, but i'd settle for a good oldies band.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I've always been a fan of what folk music I had on hand, but I just recently discovered Joan Baez and Earl Scruggs/Lester Flatts for the first time in my parents' old record collection. I realized I really needed more than the little bit I had in terms of acoustic folk/bluegrass stuff (up to now I just have early Dylan and Simon/Garf, John Lee Hooker, and some old blues from the 10s/20s).

Can anyone recommend me some other bluegrass? And/or really folky folk (as opposed to folk rock, which I also like, but isn't what I'm looking for)? Really killer stuff I'm likely to find in a nearby really good record store?

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Jedah posted:

I'm huge fan of Shpongle, Hallucinogen, Capsula, Younger Brother, Ott (especially Skylon).. Lots of artists off the Twisted label. A bunch of their music can be heard here: http://www.twistedmusic.com/

I'm looking for more music and artists like this. I guess the genres would be: Psytrance, Electronic/Dub, Psychedelic. Any recommendations?

Check out Bluetech, GMS, Vibesquad, The Infinity Project, Cosmosis, Etnica, Infected Mushroom (their older stuff is better than newer imo), Spiralianz and Texas Faggott. Socket Ryanist also made a psytrance thread that was pretty good, it's probably on an older page by now. Also get a couple compilation albums from the label Yellow Sunshine Explosion, they're almost all goa or psytrance or psy-something.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

etard knievel posted:

Check out Bluetech, GMS, Vibesquad, The Infinity Project, Cosmosis, Etnica, Infected Mushroom (their older stuff is better than newer imo), Spiralianz and Texas Faggott. Socket Ryanist also made a psytrance thread that was pretty good, it's probably on an older page by now. Also get a couple compilation albums from the label Yellow Sunshine Explosion, they're almost all goa or psytrance or psy-something.

Thanks, checking all these folks out. I agree that Infected Mushroom's older stuff is way better, too.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

alnilam posted:

I've always been a fan of what folk music I had on hand, but I just recently discovered Joan Baez and Earl Scruggs/Lester Flatts for the first time in my parents' old record collection. I realized I really needed more than the little bit I had in terms of acoustic folk/bluegrass stuff (up to now I just have early Dylan and Simon/Garf, John Lee Hooker, and some old blues from the 10s/20s).

Can anyone recommend me some other bluegrass? And/or really folky folk (as opposed to folk rock, which I also like, but isn't what I'm looking for)? Really killer stuff I'm likely to find in a nearby really good record store?

By law every used record store on the planet has at least one Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and/or Stanley Brothers LP.

I have a soft spot for Old Crow Medicine Show but that is because they are great live.
Del McCoury's Band is pretty good as well.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

alnilam posted:

I second Old Crow Medicine Show -- all three albums are good, I'd start with the first two in your case since the third has a more modern feel, the Troubles Up and Down the Road EP is also great but out-of-print I believe.

Another good entry point is Old and in the Way, a short-lived supergroup of sorts from the '70s notably featuring David Grisman, Vassar Clements and Jerry Garcia. Three albums with the original lineup, all culled from a 1973 concert series in San Francisco, setlists largely traditional songs. The third, Breakdown, contains nearly all the songs on the self-titled first album and then some, though I often prefer the performances on the self-titled. Not certain about brick & mortar availability, haven't looked in a while.

Verty3
May 24, 2007
Need some suggestions for music to mix at a house party, bit sick of electrohouse kind of stuff that the other guys will be mixing and I wanna do something a bit different. So I need some suggestions for good house party kind of music to get people a little wild, not too bothered if it's cheesy. Already got a bit of a classic hip-hop/crunk vibe going on so some good stuff in that vein would be good along with some suggestions of tracks that might go well with it.

How dreadful!
Mar 17, 2009

zacpol posted:

Could someone recommend me an artist similar to Squirrel Nut Zippers and/or Caravan Palace? So basically modernized swing, but i'd settle for a good oldies band.
You probably know about Andrew Bird's Bowl of Fire, but in case you don't:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdQJRl5Nyv4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzTNYCjM1BM

Panzerschreck
Jan 8, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump
Zakk Wylde's solo album Book of Shadows is my current favorite album, and possibly my favorite album of all time. It brings blistering guitar solos, southern acoustic folk, and soulful melodies.

http://bayimg.com/image/galogaacl.jpg

here's a taste:
Zakk Wylde - Sold My Soul
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNIJJE6y_DA

I also recommend Sunchild - it's a really obscure band, hardly anyone I know has heard of them. It's Donavan Frankenreiter's first band (lead guitar). He's a good friend of Jack Johnson, though their music isn't exactly similar (both wonderful, though).

The music: very anachronistic, reminds me of the raw 70s guitar centric rock. Great solos and riffs. Vocals are very soulful.

They only have two albums: Barefoot and Live (1997) and their studio album California Honey (2000)

http://images.google.com/url?source...RHH33TCALS1kx7A

http://images.google.com/url?source...qaG4fPhz2JR21UQ
It takes a bit of rooting around to find their albums as this band is a bit obscure. They are available on rapidshare, and you might be able to find disc copies somewhere on the net for 20-40 bucks.

(I don't know the policy for posting links for DLing music, so I'll abstain. PM me if you want the links).

I haven't done a great job describing them, but they are one of my favorite bands. They give me a carpe diem energy when I'm listening to them in my headphones while walking around campus. Definitely recommend you check them out.

Those are my recommendations. Amazing albums that I'm finding out nearly nobody I know IRL has heard. for California Honey and Book of Shadows, there's not a single song that you'll want to skip. ***** albums.

I'm looking for music that has aesthetic or soulful melodies and great guitar solos. Any recommendations besides these artists: Jimi Hendrix, SRV, the White Stripes, John Mayer (I have the discographies of all 4)?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

funkcroquet
Nov 29, 2004

Panzerschreck posted:

(I don't know the policy for posting links for DLing music, so I'll abstain. PM me if you want the links).

well, far be it from me to suggest that you read the rules thread before spamming 3 screens' worth of awful album art. that would just be unreasonable as heck.

Chaos Theory
Jan 18, 2010
Looking for two things, here.

First, I really like more steady rap like A Tribe Called Quest or Black on Both Sides Mos Def. Where can I get more of this?

Second, I've been loving So Many Dynamos (more so with their earlier stuff) and This Town Needs Guns. They're math rock-y but the stuff in that thread didn't really jibe with me. Any suggestions?

Panzerschreck
Jan 8, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump
If you like Tribe, you'll probably like Nas (especially Illmatic), De la Soul, Gang Starr, and People Under the Stairs.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
Here's the deal, I love Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, and I love The Jesus and Mary Chain.

I'm looking for music that spans the creative and temporal gap between these two groups. As far as I can tell, that means 90s alternative and garage rock, but that's a fairly large genre to start with.

Can anyone recommend music that fits with these two bands?

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

DIW posted:

Here's the deal, I love Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, and I love The Jesus and Mary Chain.

I'm looking for music that spans the creative and temporal gap between these two groups. As far as I can tell, that means 90s alternative and garage rock, but that's a fairly large genre to start with.

Can anyone recommend music that fits with these two bands?

Have you tried Pixies?

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

the Bunt posted:

Have you tried Pixies?
Yep :) They're exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for. That pop melody, with a whole lot of fuzz and guitar layered on top.

Kara Thrace
May 14, 2008

by Peatpot
Does anyone have any suggestions for some bashment/dancehall/funkyhouse music? I'm guessing not many goons listen to those types of music, but you never know.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
I have became a huge fan of the World Famous Beat Junkies stuff, but I am kind of new to hip-hop. Loving stuff like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xladcR2Dc-k

Anyone got some suggestions for someone who doesn't have any hip-hop knowledge at all to start with? The only cd's I have right now are WFBJ and KRS-1 records.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

Kara Thrace posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for some bashment/dancehall/funkyhouse music? I'm guessing not many goons listen to those types of music, but you never know.

A lot do actually!

Here's a thread in ew about rinse.fm http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3167581

A catch all thread about Jamaican music
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2944374

As for recs, if you enjoy the 90s dancehall sound I suggest you track down some mixtapes from 90s dancehall mixtape djs such as precise, selectah bam bam, bobby konders etc. A lot of hip hop / dancehall blends etc.

big duck equals goose posted:

I have became a huge fan of the World Famous Beat Junkies stuff, but I am kind of new to hip-hop. Loving stuff like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xladcR2Dc-k

Anyone got some suggestions for someone who doesn't have any hip-hop knowledge at all to start with? The only cd's I have right now are WFBJ and KRS-1 records.

The artifacts are one of my all time favorite groups, so I would definitely recommend their two albums (also try to track down the 12"s which have remixes.)

If you like the beat junkies try to seek out their mixes from the individual djs, they have all done many mixes. Here's jrocc's blog as a starting point http://stoneyjackson.blogspot.com

As for hip hop advice in general, if you google "top rap albums of all time" or whatever you should be able to find a few canonical lists easily enough. I feel that going beyond albums and listening to old/new radio shows, 12"s, mixtapes, different regional styles etc, is a lot of fun and gives new context to a lot of the music.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Kara Thrace posted:

You'd have to specify what exactly you're looking for, but this is how I'd roll:

- if you're interested in modern dancehall, go to http://www.theheatwave.co.uk/ and grab a few mixes
- if the "classic" stuff, the fourth disc on this reggae comp called "The Story of Jamaican Music" has all the biggest tunes from '85 to ~'90

plogo probably knows more about the '90s stuff so follow his advice earlier too.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I'm looking for some really chill, drony, layered music that digs a groove and sticks with it, like The Beta Band circa The Three EPs, Can circa Future Days, Here We Go Magic ("Tunnelvision", "Ahab", "I Just Want To See You Underwater") etc. It's a really specific sound I'm looking for.

Gio fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Apr 8, 2010

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008
^^^
I hate the term 'glo-fi' and/or 'chillwave', but I think some of the drone-y artists that fall under that category might tickle your fancy. Have you listened to Ducktails s/t or Universal Studios Florida's 'Ocean Sunbirds'? And, of course, some of Animal Collective's early stuff plays with one groove, specifically tracks on Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished and Sung Tongs. Hope this helps!

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Good recommendations, though I've heard them all. As far as songs AC has done that mirror what I'm looking for, I'd say "Banshee Beat", "Kids on Holiday", and "People" would best fit the mold. There's actually little 'chillwave' I've heard that mirrors what I'm thinking of, though there's this one Washed Out track that is precisely what I'm looking for. Think "Everything You Do Is A Balloon" by Boards of Canada, too.

A lo-fi aesthetic would be ideal.

Gio fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Apr 8, 2010

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008
That's kind of what I guessed, and in that case, I probably can't recommend anything you haven't heard before. Except maybe Truman Peyote's Light-Lightning and Blues Control's s/t (which is a bit more lo-fi and experimental than what you want, but they do often kind of take one groove and really dig into it the entire song). If you like Blues Control / Ducktails, you might want to track down a group called Reid and Wright, who did a split with JEFF the brotherhood like 2 years back, they've got that same synthy sound. I'm sorry that I can't be any more helpful than this!

edit :
2 more you've probably heard but I'll throw out anyway, Zomes s/t and City Center's s/t

baberaham lincoln fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Apr 8, 2010

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

This is definitely what I'm talking about. Thanks!

MonkeeKong
May 17, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DIW posted:

Yep :) They're exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for. That pop melody, with a whole lot of fuzz and guitar layered on top.

Try Black Tambourine. You might also want to check out The Pains of Being Pure At Heart and Archers of Loaf.

Raymondo Person
Jun 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I know this is going to sound ridiculously goony, but what genre could The Neverhood's soundtrack be categorized as and what are some some albums worth trying out?

Virtually all of the "similar artists" on last.fm are other video game soundtrack composers and none of the Allmusic recommendations are all that close so I'm all out of ideas at this point.

Raymondo Person fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 9, 2010

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

alnilam posted:

I've always been a fan of what folk music I had on hand, but I just recently discovered Joan Baez and Earl Scruggs/Lester Flatts for the first time in my parents' old record collection.

If you like the Earl Scruggs stuff then you should definitely check out Steve Martin's (yes that Steve Martin) recent album The Crow. It's a great album of old school bluegrass banjo tunes with Scruggs himself getting a guest spot on at least one song.

I myself am looking for rockabilly/alt-country artists in the vein of Rev. Horton Heat and Southern Culture on the Skids. I've looked into the usual psychobilly suspects such as the Cramps and the Meteors but they all seem to take themselves a bit too seriously. I'm really after something with a bit more of a sense of fun/humour.

As a more general request I'm into old school country such as Hank Williams and Buck Owens through to Johnny Cash and Carl Perkins. Any modern recommendation that isn't the overproduced, flag waving bullshit that seems to be popular country music these days would be appreciated. The Little Willies have caught my ear recently. Something like that but with more original material would be great.

Bill Posters fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 9, 2010

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Bill Posters posted:

If you like the Earl Scruggs stuff then you should definitely check out Steve Martin's (yes that Steve Martin) recent album The Crow. It's a great album of old school bluegrass banjo tunes with Scruggs himself getting a guest spot on at least one song.

I myself am looking for rockabilly/alt-country artists in the vein of Rev. Horton Heat and Southern Culture on the Skids. I've looked into the usual psychobilly suspects such as the Cramps and the Meteors but they all seem to take themselves a bit too seriously. I'm really after something with a bit more of a sense of fun/humour.

As a more general request I'm into old school country such as Hank Williams and Buck Owens through to Johnny Cash and Carl Perkins. Any modern recommendation that isn't the overproduced, flag waving bullshit that seems to be popular country music these days would be appreciated. The Little Willies have caught my ear recently. Something like that but with more original material would be great.

Are you familiar with Drive-By Truckers? If not, you may want to check them out for the alt-country thing. Maybe give Ween's 12 Golden Country Greats a shot too since you're looking for a group with a sense of humor.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Apr 10, 2010

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

Gio posted:

This is definitely what I'm talking about. Thanks!

OH, just stumbled onto one you might dig, the song Psychic Mesa by Total Slacker.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Raymondo Person posted:

I know this is going to sound ridiculously goony, but what genre could The Neverhood's soundtrack be categorized as and what are some some albums worth trying out?

Virtually all of the "similar artists" on last.fm are other video game soundtrack composers and none of the Allmusic recommendations are all that close so I'm all out of ideas at this point.
I wouldn't bother choosing the right genre for it. I mean, I guess it's folky enough but mostly it's silly noise. The composer is Terry Scott Taylor who's had a bunch of different projects, none of which really sounded like the Neverhood to me. Nothing really has. Probably the closest two things I can think of are Super Chikan or Don Cavalli

azz2phat
Apr 9, 2010

MonkeeKong posted:

Try Black Tambourine. You might also want to check out The Pains of Being Pure At Heart and Archers of Loaf.

Seconding Black Tambourine. Their whole catalogue was just reissued

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Bill Posters posted:

Seconding Drive-By Truckers. Also would recommend Blanche -- their sense of humor is sort of gothic but it's there. Old Crow Medicine Show absolutely fits the bill as you're into bluegrass. Some early Silver Jews might be up your alley, though I wouldn't recommend their whole catalog on these specifications.

You asked specifically about modern stuff but I feel compelled to mention Billy Joe Shaver, in case you're not already familiar, since he's also exactly what you describe.

Kempy
Dec 15, 2009

Hey, I'm looking for any bands that sound like Asking Alexandria or We Came as Romans. Essentially, metalcore/hardcore mixed in with synthesizers and all that techno stuff.

Cheers.

Raymondo Person
Jun 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Farts Domino posted:

I wouldn't bother choosing the right genre for it. I mean, I guess it's folky enough but mostly it's silly noise. The composer is Terry Scott Taylor who's had a bunch of different projects, none of which really sounded like the Neverhood to me. Nothing really has. Probably the closest two things I can think of are Super Chikan or Don Cavalli
I don't mean the insanely strange ones - mostly stuff like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppkBUXKjLw0

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
I've been listening to Lady Gaga and Little Boots, and I'm looking for female electropop. Any suggestions? I especially love the thick synth sound so anything in that direction would be great.

Man-In-Madden
Jul 22, 2007

And when the music fades away
I know I'll be okay
Contagious rhythms in my brain
Let it play

drainpipe posted:

I've been listening to Lady Gaga and Little Boots, and I'm looking for female electropop. Any suggestions? I especially love the thick synth sound so anything in that direction would be great.

La Roux and Ladyhawke off the top of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.
I've recently fallen in love with sample-heavy hip-hop influenced by stuff like soul, funk or whatever crazy stuff. All I have heard is pretty much everything with Pretty Lights and RJD2's Deadringer. What else is out there?