Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
When is MOOII coming out already :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Gazaville Slugger posted:

When is MOOII coming out already :negative:

All the rights holders committed suicide after MOO3.

Huckert
Aug 1, 2007

For the love of the game
That spring sale has got a scary layout. The ones you buy become faded, making it look like they're 'completed', like some RPG quest log, and now I feel compelled to grab the rest as well. I don't want Evil Genious, though. :(

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Trunderstruck posted:

That spring sale has got a scary layout. The ones you buy become faded, making it look like they're 'completed', like some RPG quest log, and now I feel compelled to grab the rest as well. I don't want Evil Genious, though. :(

I'm facing exactly the same problem! :ohdear:

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Oh god I thought I was the only one.

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits
Syberia 2 just released for 10 bux

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma
What happened to the Moo 2 and MoM announcement :(. I was really hoping for them this week.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Weekend promo: 50% off Sacred Gold, Septerra Core, Spellforce Platinum and Stonekeep.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Is Sacred any good?

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Phoenix 2.0 posted:

Is Sacred any good?

Yeah, it's a fun diablo-esque game with a giant world and lots of monsters to click on until they die. I'd rank it up there with titan quest and diablo, not quite as good as either but still a ton of fun.

Stonekeep is also a ton of fun, it's a great first person dungeon crawler with a pretty nice difficulty level.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Phoenix 2.0 posted:

Is Sacred any good?

For five bucks Sacred is a pretty good deal. This will sound cliche but I liken it to Morrowind, in that you have this big overworld where you can pretty much say "screw this" at the beginning and run off anywhere, ignoring the main quest for a while. Of course it obviously plays more like Diablo etc. but there's a ton of exploration to do.

Now I just need someone to talk me out of getting any of the other three games on sale :ohdear:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Phoenix 2.0 posted:

Is Sacred any good?

It's an OK Diablo-like. The world is gigantic, the story is forgettable, and enemies respawn absurdly quickly - like, leave the screen and they come back. You can't even outrun some of them because some enemies root you to the spot.

The interesting distinguishing feature is that each of the 6 characters has a unique opening quest - after that, they all follow the same path.

If I am remembering right, there isn't any mana, spells are balanced by cooldown timers. The more points you put into a skill, the longer the timer is.

The game is incredibly long for a Diablo-like, though.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Sacred also has a lot more generous drops BUT they are so hopelessly random that you should feel lucky to find something that has two modifiers that help you out. However, as Diablo it has "slots" but they have classes. You can put runes (these are the things that you use to bump skills up) in the slots as well as common jewelry. The power of the slot will modify the modifier on the jewelry and you can end up with some pretty powerful, custom made stuff. Since skills are tied to drops and not levels, you'd think you can abuse it and just collect drops or mule them from one player to the other, but there is a very definite downside to every level you take in each skill. This causes you to find an ideal spot. Also, since you can put the skill runes into slots, you will usually end up seeking to do that as much as possible as I'm pretty sure skills gained through items do not add to the increasing cooldown timers.

As with Diablo (pre the most recent patch) there are no ways to respec so you can make a character that is light in spent skill runes and heavy in rune-slotted gear. Then you can have a few different sets of gear and basically respec yourself for situations with your gear.

The game is a confusing melange of percentages, though. Stat points are spent raising percentages that modify other various attributes. Figuring out exactly where you are is confusing. The game does have a cool mouseover that lets you see all effects on you at the time, but that doesn't count the effects your attributes have.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Welp, added Sacred to my list of GOG games I purchased and probably won't ever get around to playing.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

AxeManiac posted:

Welp, added Sacred to my list of GOG games I purchased and probably won't ever get around to playing.

:smith::hf::ohdear:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Bought Septerra Core, and it just crashes after 1 second. I can hear the beginning sounds of the startup screen then it just CTDs.

Oh well, it was only 2.99.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The interesting distinguishing feature is that each of the 6 characters has a unique opening quest - after that, they all follow the same path.

Eight :eng101: It comes with the Underworld expansion, so you can play as a Daemoness and a Dwarf

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

What happened to the Moo 2 and MoM announcement :(. I was really hoping for them this week.

I literally have a bit that I am chomping on waiting for this

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
How is spellforce? I like RPGs but I'm terrible at RTS games and I've played a few RPG/RTS games and I'm not terribly great at them.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
If you haven't played Myst, you need to pick that up and play it right now. Once you're done with that (should'nt take long if you pay attention and take notes), get Riven and kiss a couple weeks goodbye.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

GoldenNugget posted:

How is spellforce? I like RPGs but I'm terrible at RTS games and I've played a few RPG/RTS games and I'm not terribly great at them.

Then you won't like Spellforce because the entire game is about management and the enemy AI is aggressive as gently caress. Later missions are wars of attrition where you're whittling each other down constantly hoping to gain the AI makes a mistake to gain a slight advantage and slowly overpower the enemy. Other than that it's a good game that's pretty drat long.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
For the record, Stonekeep is awesome and I bought it back when it first came out and I still have the CD here. Though I'm tempted to get it anyway...
There's also a secret where you can get one of the best daggers in the game right at the very beginning and since I discovered this I have never, ever stopped being paranoid about doing everything and exploring everywhere in an RPG since. Ya know, because I might miss that crazy awesome weapon they hid away... (drat you Interplay!)

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

al-azad posted:

Then you won't like Spellforce because the entire game is about management and the enemy AI is aggressive as gently caress. Later missions are wars of attrition where you're whittling each other down constantly hoping to gain the AI makes a mistake to gain a slight advantage and slowly overpower the enemy. Other than that it's a good game that's pretty drat long.

Does it get quicker later on? I'm doing the tutorial, and I'm at the base building part, and once you have all your workers specialized and it's down to your last 2 out of 30 building something it takes FOREVER.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Does it get quicker later on? I'm doing the tutorial, and I'm at the base building part, and once you have all your workers specialized and it's down to your last 2 out of 30 building something it takes FOREVER.

Yeah, the tutorial is long and stupid but once you begin the real game then you have a bunch of options regarding powers and units plus you'll be too busy attacking or doing quests to stare at your base all day.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Apr 10, 2010

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Amerizone: The Explorer's Legacy is now available on GOG for $10.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Naky posted:

For the record, Stonekeep is awesome and I bought it back when it first came out and I still have the CD here. Though I'm tempted to get it anyway...
There's also a secret where you can get one of the best daggers in the game right at the very beginning and since I discovered this I have never, ever stopped being paranoid about doing everything and exploring everywhere in an RPG since. Ya know, because I might miss that crazy awesome weapon they hid away... (drat you Interplay!)

How could you even tell it was a good dagger? I can't figure out how to examine or compare items - I just see what looks like a dagger, same as my other dagger.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Naky posted:

(drat you Interplay!)

Story time:

Many years ago, I picked up a copy of Starfleet Academy at a thrift store. It has lots of FMV's, so it was spread across 4 discs. I went home to play it and realized that the first disc was missing, so I couldn't install! I sent an email to Interplay asking if there was any way that I could get a copy of the first disc without buying the whole game again. They told me to scan my receipt and then other 3 discs. I scanned those and sent them the image, and about a week later I received a new first disc for my game, at no charge.

Those were the days :allears:

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Danger Mahoney posted:

How could you even tell it was a good dagger? I can't figure out how to examine or compare items - I just see what looks like a dagger, same as my other dagger.

When you equip things they'll show different stats on your stat page, I think that dagger has 8 piercing or something crazy, making it basically the best weapon in the game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Blodskur posted:

That's not how you spell Master of Orion :colbert:

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

rt4 posted:

Story time:

Many years ago, I picked up a copy of Starfleet Academy at a thrift store. It has lots of FMV's, so it was spread across 4 discs. I went home to play it and realized that the first disc was missing, so I couldn't install! I sent an email to Interplay asking if there was any way that I could get a copy of the first disc without buying the whole game again. They told me to scan my receipt and then other 3 discs. I scanned those and sent them the image, and about a week later I received a new first disc for my game, at no charge.

Those were the days :allears:

Stories like this are why PC gaming in the 90's will never be topped by anything ever and why I will always miss small game companies who cared about the customer the most and will play DOS games until I die.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Blodskur posted:

What the hell is this anyway? It looks like some edutainment learning title.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
It has a definite Syberia vibe from the screenshots, and lo and behold, same developer.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

AxeManiac posted:

What the hell is this anyway? It looks like some edutainment learning title.

It's an adventure game from a while back. Critically acclaimed, too, was Sokal's first game IIRC, came out a couple of years before Syberia and was done by the same studio.

Basically if you liked Syberia you'll like Amerzone.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
That's it, I've caved. I just bought Jagged Alliance 2 and Freespace 2. I WAS SAVING UP FOR A LAPTOP, GOG. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME?

Ah, who am I kidding, buying those two will stop me from buying a full priced game and I'll have saved money. Curse you, shopaholicism.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

I don't think I ever finished Amerzone but it had a really nice atmosphere. It is basically Myst meets Syberia, but I guess easier than either. Can't really make an opinion since it's been so long since I played it and like I said, didn't finish.

What's up with the prices though, just like the Syberias, :10bux: is a bit too much. 5.99 would've been exactly what I'd pay for something like this.

I know I bought it for less than $10 around seven years ago.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Those Syberia games look interesting but I'll wait for gog to put them along with Amerzone up for a deal which they will most likely do at some point in the future.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Zat posted:

I don't think I ever finished Amerzone but it had a really nice atmosphere. It is basically Myst meets Syberia, but I guess easier than either. Can't really make an opinion since it's been so long since I played it and like I said, didn't finish.

What's up with the prices though, just like the Syberias, :10bux: is a bit too much. 5.99 would've been exactly what I'd pay for something like this.

I know I bought it for less than $10 around seven years ago.

i think it has more to do with the file size, it's 4 gigs or something insane. But yeah, $10 keeps it from being a casual purchase for me, it's easier to drop 4.99 on a game without thinking. Guess I'll put it on the pile of "wait for a sale".

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I bought both Syberia games in a two-pack for $10 like five years ago

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Doodmons posted:

That's it, I've caved. I just bought Jagged Alliance 2 and Freespace 2. I WAS SAVING UP FOR A LAPTOP, GOG. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME?

Ah, who am I kidding, buying those two will stop me from buying a full priced game and I'll have saved money. Curse you, shopaholicism.

Excellent choices.

Now head to http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3053233 for a Jagged Alliance 2 update and a tutorial on how to apply it, and http://www.fsoinstaller.com/ for a great FS2 source port. These both should probably be done even for first playthroughs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Sniper Elite: Berlin 1945 is now on GOG for $9.99.