Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I've done some work on the shitbox (92 Accord) this week.

Important Tools

Flushed my coolant system.

Oops.

Pulled my distributor cap and rotor to check for wear.

My dad "helped" me.

After a quick trip to the parts store for a cap and rotor (that, granted, I definitely needed anyway) I pulled my valve cover to put a new gasket on.

Cleaned the valve cover.

Those spark plug tubes are notoriously leaky, and are the main reason I pulled it. Of course, what I didn't realize till after I had finished is that there's o-ring seals for each tube as well. Not that it matters, since doing those requires pulling the camshaft, which means timing belt fuckery, something I wasn't trying to play with. gently caress interference engines.

I also didn't bother adjusting my valves, which was dumb in retrospect, but I couldn't figure out how to turn the engine. (gotta go in the driver's front wheel well.)

Took out lovely copper WalMart plugs, put in proper NGK platinum.

Put it all back together with a new PCV valve.

It even works! Much better too, I think part of my rough idle in the past has been lovely, oily plugs, combined with a worn distributor. I get paid tomorrow, so I'm going to pick up some new plug wires to replace the oil-soaked old ones. Also on the to do list: new fuel filter and cleaning the buildup out of my intake butterfly valve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogz
Jul 22, 2009

Mr booby head vagina man.

dissss posted:

Raged yet again at on-street parking:

At least someone left a note with a license plate, pity they didn't think to leave a number. Grrr.

Holy poo poo, how does someone even manage to do that much damage in that location?

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Rear window visor arrived and I loosely test-fitted it for this picture. It goes in for paint on Wednesday.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Coasterphreak posted:

I also didn't bother adjusting my valves, which was dumb in retrospect, but I couldn't figure out how to turn the engine. (gotta go in the driver's front wheel well.)

Turn the key without the coil attached to bump the engine. Chances are that your engine doesn't have adjusting screws on the lifters, so adjusting means replacing shims. Wait, are there adjusters? It's hard to tell in that picture.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 2, 2010

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
Drove it at the wettest track day ive ever been to

Unfortnuatly slamming into a puddle of standing water at 100mph over and over again cracked the bottom of my front fascia.

I should have just stayed home instead.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Rogz posted:

Holy poo poo, how does someone even manage to do that much damage in that location?

I guess its just thin metal with nothing supporting it and the other driver hit with the very corner of their bumper.

Tracked down the culprit though, it was the old guy from across the road. Typical.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
This showed up for the E55.

woooooooo

(34-41rwhp gain with tune only, 65rwhp with pulley and tune)

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I proved that I am completely incompetent when it comes to suspension work, and broke my car to the point where I have to have it towed to a shop and fixed by real mechanics. The full story is in the BMW thread.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
upper engine stabilizer mount for my 850. worth every penny.

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

I've only been up for four hours and I've already installed new spark plugs, made a trip to a Nissan dealership to get new rubber grommets for the upper radiator mounts, and taken same off of car and replaced them. I've run out of things I planned on doing, but it's been such a productive morning I can't help but imagine what other possibilities are in store!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I finally replaced the broken front sway-bar end links on my SVT Focus. Definitely feels different through corners now :v:

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Barn Owl posted:

This tiny hose split when I started up my truck. Only took an hour and a half to get the parts and wrestle my gorilla mitts between the intake manifold, dizzy EGR (or vacuum thing I don't know), heater core plumbing, and circulatory pump. 3" of hose with one inch gap between the nipples.

Ford 429 or 460?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Two weeks ago I did this:

So it needed a wash. After that, of course, I drove it down some dusty dirt roads and ruined the effect, but now my mirrors are useable again and at least I managed to blast off almost all of the caked-on mud on the wheels. This is important, because the dirt roads led me to a junkyard, where I pulled 4 wheels off of this old Acura:

because I want to keep my good winter tires in decent shape for next year.
$100 got me 4 "sporty" (my neighbour's reaction) aluminum wheels and half
-decent all-season tires.

The four tires fit in the trunk, surprisingly, though with basically zero room to spare. Got 'em home and swapped everything out, with the help of my neighbour who loaned me his impact-driver and a proper tire-iron.

Now I can drive on clear, warm pavement without worrying I'm painting it black with winter-grade tire rubber.

Also, I don't what junkyards are like where other people are, but today I was very glad to be wearing my steel toe / steel shank work boots.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

ExecuDork posted:

Also, I don't what junkyards are like where other people are, but today I was very glad to be wearing my steel toe / steel shank work boots.

Your picture looks about like the one nearest me, except mine is gravel instead of grass. Definitely don't want to skimp on footwear.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Finally replaced the mud guard and bumper brackets today, in a convenience store parking lot in the middle of nowhere. All the while a group of old Japanese bikers were watching me wrestle with my $10 socket wrench set and old plastic rivets.

Yes, I broke several of them.

Cop
Nov 14, 2007
Getting ready to do my waterpump in hopes that it's not my thermostat as to why my car is overheating.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Cop posted:

Getting ready to do my waterpump in hopes that it's not my thermostat as to why my car is overheating.

Geez what kind of car do you have where the waterpump is the EASIER of the two?

Cop
Nov 14, 2007
2004 Impala.

Waterpump sits right on top and the thermostat is on the back of the engine. I read here that it might be easier to remove the exhaust crossover pipe.

Waterpump is done and we will see if it overheats still.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Had to replace the thermostat on my wife's Ascender this weekend, kept throwing a CEL with it not coming up to temp properly. Posts on the trailblazer forums indicate a bad thermostat, so I bought one at O'reilly for 26 dollars. They didn't have Concentrated Dex-Cool either so I needed two bottles ($15 each) of premix as well. The actual replacement wasn't that bad, but you have to remove the alternator to get to it properly. Took me and a friend 45 minutes or so. No CEL yet.

surivdaoreht
Jan 22, 2009

Headlights were annoying me, so I picked up a 3M refinishing kit.

Before:

After:

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
I started on my non-automotive reciprocating piston insanity of the season. The walk behind field mower got a whole can of Onan 4C and filled the yard with smoke. Then I replaced the air and fuel filters. Then, I put a quarter can of seafoam in the oil and ran it around a side yard that wasn't too wet for a half hour. Then, I drained the horribly black oil, changed the filter, and refilled with some straight 30 Rotella T. I pulled the old spark plugs, which were surprisingly clean (probably from the 4C), and let it cool down while I ate dinner. Afterward, I put in new and precisely gapped NGKs and ran it around for a while again. Unfortunately, the problem it had last year is still there and possibly worse. The engine won't run smoothly off choke. With the choke on, it'll run at exactly 3300 RPM. With the choke off at any throttle setting, it'll surge horribly. I can't find an actual carb kit on any website, so i'll just piece one together tomorrow at work. Who doesn't make a carb kit for their engines?

The chainsaw got a new fuel pickup, spark plug and a thorough cleaning. Started right up despite me leaving the gas and oil in the tank to rot all winter.

Still to do: remove and flush the fuel system on the walk behind. I found vegetation inside the fuel filter. Fully rebuild carb. Replace all the blades and probably a few pulleys, too.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Skyssx posted:

I can't find an actual carb kit on any website, so i'll just piece one together tomorrow at work. Who doesn't make a carb kit for their engines?

If its a Honda engine they don't. You either have to buy a new carb or order all the pieces separately. I ran into that problem with my X-Mark.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Pipkin posted:

If its a Honda engine they don't. You either have to buy a new carb or order all the pieces separately. I ran into that problem with my X-Mark.

Kawasaki, but good to know about the Honda. Sometime before winter, i've got to replace an Onan engine with either a Honda GX or Briggs Vanguard (apparently Toyota), and I was already leaning towards the Vanguard for parts availability.

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure

surivdaoreht posted:

Headlights were annoying me, so I picked up a 3M refinishing kit.

Couldn't you just open the hood instead of taping it off?

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

kill me now posted:

Drove it at the wettest track day ive ever been to

Pretty cool. I've never seen (nor ever expect to see) a 300 on the track. I have seen one Magnum, but it was a rental.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Washed the car, then immediately got rained on.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008
Change the coolant temp sensor in my VR6. Not bad if you have slim hands. The GTI is happy once again until something else breaks. :D

Cop
Nov 14, 2007

Cop posted:

Yay! That fixed it. There was a leak at the bottom of the pump. But of course after I got done I forgot to bleed it so it started overheating much worse. Thanks to my brother for asking me the dumb question, "Did you bleed it afterward?"

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Speeding ticket in my ride today, does that count? :supaburn:

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Attempted to remove the vacuum control box in order to replace the fuel filter.

Dropped every fastener I removed into the engine compartment, necessitating a total of at least an hour fishing around with a flashlight and a magnet. Also failed horribly at removing the vacuum lines from my intake.

Gave up, put everything back together, and called it a day.

:sigh:

gently caress the vacuum line hell that is a Honda engine compartment.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

DogDodger posted:

Pretty cool. I've never seen (nor ever expect to see) a 300 on the track. I have seen one Magnum, but it was a rental.

They're quick. Surprisingly so. We had a guy come to the track last month with an SRT-8, and sure, it's fast and loud, but I was floored by how quickly the thing could scrub speed, especially for a two-ton car. He braked harder and later than most of the cars out there, and the car was shockingly composed under braking. No drama whatsoever.

Click here for the full 1024x683 image.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
I tried to swap the differential in the 840 today, and failed miserably at it. :smith:

I had removed the tail section of the exhaust a couple weeks ago with minimal drama. All that's left is a bunch of nuts holding the driveshaft to the input shaft on the diff, and the loving ALLEN BOLTS holding the axles to the output flanges. You see, BMW in their infinite wisdom, thinks it's a good idea to use a mess of 8mm allen bolts to hold the axles in place instead of regular old hex bolts like everyone else uses. So you end up with 12 bolts that have spent the last 16 years seizing their way in there, and naught but an 8mm Allen socket with which to remove them. Of course, the first one I tried putting a wrench on started to strip, so I quit before I hosed it up.

That was not the only place I failed. My "new" diff came from an E32, which has different input / output flanges than the E31. So, those have to be swapped over as well. The output flanges are cake - they just pry out. However, the input flange nut requires somewhere in the neighborhood of 80 - 160 ft-lbs to break free. Once broken free, you then have to torque the nut back in place to the exact position it was in before you removed it (and note the torque required to do so) so that you don't mess up the preload on the gears with too much / too little torque on the nut when you put the new flange on. Well, I couldn't get the output flanges to stop rotating no matter what I did. I got some brackets from HD and bolted them to a board and then to the output flanges, but when I tried torquing them, the flanges just rotated and bent up my brackets. I'm stumped on how to keep the whole thing from rotating when I do this.

After my series of failures, I was kind of depressed so I took the car for a spin with open exhaust just because. :haw: It was funny seeing people looking around for the culprit, and then the :wtc: look shortly after once it dawned on them which car it was.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
I got home from work at 7 tonight with about one hour of sunlight remaining. To do: rear shocks and drum brakes on a Ranger. Rear brakes on a ZX2, which I didn't even get to.

The Ranger is behaving like perhaps a drum is out of round, and on ice, the torque from the engine at idle overcomes the brakes unless you stomp on them hard enough to lock the front tires. hosed if you do, hosed if you don't.

I jacked up the Ranger using the differential, set two jack stands and impacted the wheels off. Much more corrosion under the wheel caps than my previous truck. The wheels weren't rusted to the drums, both came off with a punch to the top of the tire. From there, both drums were rusted to the hub. One came off using regular hammers. The other resisted a 4 lb sledge. I would have tried some oil, but apparently i'm out. So I broke out the propane torch. After some alarming "proing!" noises from the drum itself, it was free from the hub, but locked on due to the shoes grinding a race track inside. The side that came off had shoes that appeared to be virtually untouched. The automatic adjuster was a little stiff on the side that came off, and I familiarized myself with how i'd have to manipulate the other to loosen it. The adjuster on the stuck on drum is apparently rusted too snugly for me to move it. I changed out one of the shocks and called it a night since dinner was getting cold.

I think the one side being in new condition, and the other (probably) being hosed, combined with the open differential, shows why the vehicle exhibited dangerous behavior on ice.

I'm going to pick up a Milwaukee angle grinder with cut off wheel and carve away the stuck drum. I think i'll find some badly worn and mangled shoes inside. I'm going to fully disassemble and rebuild both with large amounts of anti-seize.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Got my E36 back from a real mechanic yesterday, now with all new control arms, inner/outer balljoints, LCABs, and end links. The car feels incredibly different.

They also did a complimentary inspection, and basically told me everything that was wrong with my car :smith: granted I already knew about every single issue (except the wiper fluid sensor, but they were wrong, it was just low :lol: ) but still it hurts seeing it confirmed.

surivdaoreht
Jan 22, 2009

ozziegt posted:

Couldn't you just open the hood instead of taping it off?

Eh, it made a bit of a mess. I'm glad I did it this way, because otherwise there'd be dust and poo poo all over the engine bay.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Got my roof spoiler back from paint and put it on the TSX... happy with how it came out. I think it flows well. And extra show points never hurt anyone, especially with the first show of the season coming up Saturday.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Both outer tie rod ends.

New PCV valve, new air filter.

Screwed around with my idle air control valve, now my cel is on, oops.

Changed my supercharger oil.

175000 mile old supercharger oil. Mmmm.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Bud Manstrong posted:

He braked harder and later than most of the cars out there, and the car was shockingly composed under braking. No drama whatsoever.

having a mile long wheelbase and fairly even weight distribution does wonders towards keeping the car composed both under braking and acceleration.

Its far from an ideal track car for a number of reasons, but for what it is it will hustle around a track way better then it should after a few relatively minor upgrades.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

FogHelmut posted:

Changed my supercharger oil.

175000 mile old supercharger oil. Mmmm.

Put that in your kitchen or bathroom and see if anyone tries to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
Polished and waxed the 99 Subaru Forester, then tried to remove the wheels to strip and repaint as the paint is flaking off.

The lugs were removed easily, but three of the wheels are rusted to the brake rotor :byodood: :byodood: :byodood: