Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

if that's the diesel i think it is, i read a review in some magazine and they didn't like it much. i don't remember all their complaints but one was that it uses a CVT and therefore you get an irritating monotonous drone out of the engine everywhere you go at every speed.

Having driven a bunch of CVT-equipped cars, few things will make a car boring faster than one of those gearboxes. Presumably the same applies to bikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Weinertron posted:

Aren't there 3.7 liters in a US gallon? Thats more like $7.50 per US gallon.

And frankly, I think we should have slightly more gas tax here in the US rather than messing around with CAFE and gas guzzler taxes and stuff like that.

drat, I failed at math...I was comparing it for cost at 1 pound/1.5 US dollars, not 1.3. :ohdear:

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Weinertron posted:

Aren't there 3.7 liters in a US gallon? Thats more like $7.50 per US gallon.

And frankly, I think we should have slightly more gas tax here in the US rather than messing around with CAFE and gas guzzler taxes and stuff like that.
I recall a road trip in November of '98 to Southwest Missouri during one of the periodic super-low dips in prices. On the way south from I-70 I stopped for gas and paid $0.87 for regular. According to the sticker on the pump, $0.52 cents of that was Federal, State, and Local taxes.

Yep, Gasoline has been 35 cents/gallon ($0.09 or £0.06 or 0.07€ per liter) during my lifetime.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 7, 2010

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Jabs posted:

I recall a road trip in November of '98 to Southwest Missouri during one of the periodic super-low dips in prices. On the way south from I-70 I stopped for gas and paid $0.87 for regular. According to the sticker on the pump, $0.52 cents of that was Federal, State, and Local taxes.

Yep, Gasoline has been 35 cents/gallon ($0.09 or £0.06 or 0.07€ per liter) during my lifetime.

That year and a half or so in the late-90s of just absolutely ridiculously low gas prices was awesome.

Too bad I wouldn't be old enough to drive until after it'd ended.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

redscare posted:

Having driven a bunch of CVT-equipped cars, few things will make a car boring faster than one of those gearboxes. Presumably the same applies to bikes.

one of those few things would be making it a diesel.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I've seen this guy a few times at the work parking lot now. I guess if you feel a hi-vis vest might cramp your style, you could always go with the hi-vis bike option. It practically glows.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Linedance posted:

I've seen this guy a few times at the work parking lot now. I guess if you feel a hi-vis vest might cramp your style, you could always go with the hi-vis bike option. It practically glows.

oh man, I used to have a GI Joe who was part of cobra who looked *exactly* like that! He was my favorite. He had this sweet visor that swept down.

here he is: First on the left, bottom row (he's in the middle of the package)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Linedance posted:

Bike couldn't be more visible if it was one giant firetruck-green hazard stripe, I love it.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

if that's the diesel i think it is, i read a review in some magazine and they didn't like it much. i don't remember all their complaints but one was that it uses a CVT and therefore you get an irritating monotonous drone out of the engine everywhere you go at every speed.

Aw, that's too bad. I really like the look of it and a diesel bike would just be the bees knees.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

redscare posted:

That year and a half or so in the late-90s of just absolutely ridiculously low gas prices was awesome.

Too bad I wouldn't be old enough to drive until after it'd ended.
That timeframe is like exactly when I was starting, which was nice since I was a poor highschooler, but in South Florida, they were still never much below $1/gallon that I can recall.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
My first trackday, just rode around in 3rd gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePFcLQy_kZY

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

oh man, I used to have a GI Joe who was part of cobra who looked *exactly* like that! He was my favorite. He had this sweet visor that swept down.

here he is: First on the left, bottom row (he's in the middle of the package)

That would be Alley Viper, and he was the loving poo poo.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Boat posted:

That would be Alley Viper, and he was the loving poo poo.

they're like the Cobra Health & Safety corps or something.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Linedance posted:

CalTrans employees

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Linedance posted:

Actually they are Vipers trained for urban combat. They carry riot shields, and... oh wait. You guys are joking.

http://www.yojoe.com/filecard/89/alleyviper.shtml

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Crayvex posted:

Actually they are Vipers trained for urban combat. They carry riot shields, and... oh wait. You guys are joking.

http://www.yojoe.com/filecard/89/alleyviper.shtml
Nice avatar post combo.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

http://www.wimp.com/engineworks/

:tviv:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Phy posted:

Bike couldn't be more visible if it was one giant firetruck-green hazard stripe, I love it.

And it's still invisible to 17-year-old girls.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Imperador do Brasil posted:

And it's still invisible to 17-year-old girls.

So is everything else but their phone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's not just the 17 year olds. Today I talked to a 30-something woman who was complaining about the no texting while driving laws being unsafe. Why? Because now instead of holding it up and "looking forward" while driving, she has to keep it down where cops can't see. I wanted to smack her.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I put a pair of Cobra F1r slipons on my Ninja 250 recently, and here's a recording. Tell me what you guys think. I'm deaf so all I can do is feel the louuuudddd thrumming of the exhaust. Does it also sound good?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbe7_iMffbY

Balloon Time Hooray!
Apr 18, 2007
Maybe you're not an ugly human being but a good looking ape... with exceptional verbal skills.
I like it. Sounds great walkin dude.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
That's great. It explains why everybody's been staring at me when I'm on the bike. My next goal is to find slip-ons for my Ninja 500. Yay for routing the ears of everybody around me!

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

the walkin dude posted:

That's great. It explains why everybody's been staring at me when I'm on the bike.

BRAPRAPBRAPBRAPBRAPBRAP

- Hey, everybody's checking us out.
- Yeah they think we're pretty cool!

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ringo R posted:

BRAPRAPBRAPBRAPBRAPBRAP

- Hey, everybody's checking us out.
- Yeah they think we're pretty cool!

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAG!

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
I purposely try very hard to never even turn my head when I hear a throttle blip of any kind, especially from a POTATOPOTATOPOTATO

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Nobody can hear my engine over my stereo anyway. :smug:

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Street cred is my singular purpose on life. Getting approval from hearing people as a deafie :smug:

When I was 8 years old I had a bicycle with a handlebar-mounted radio. A radio. I got it in order to fit in among my hearing peers, even thought I couldn't comprehend the difference between music types on the radio.

Yeah. It continues, but this time around, I get motherfuckin' bass.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Linedance posted:

That is awesome and I would ride the poo poo out of that

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

while trying to find out more about that VTR paint scheme (is it factory?) I came across this:

ok whatever it is it clearly isn't finished, but that's a goddamn VMax engine in there. Jesus.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

the walkin dude posted:

Street cred is my singular purpose on life. Getting approval from hearing people as a deafie :smug:

When I was 8 years old I had a bicycle with a handlebar-mounted radio. A radio. I got it in order to fit in among my hearing peers, even thought I couldn't comprehend the difference between music types on the radio.

Yeah. It continues, but this time around, I get motherfuckin' bass.

You're like a blind person dressing like a pimp. This is a compliment

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Linedance posted:

while trying to find out more about that VTR paint scheme (is it factory?) I came across this:

ok whatever it is it clearly isn't finished, but that's a goddamn VMax engine in there. Jesus.

Is that part of the stock induction, or is there a small Roots-type blower mounted on that thing?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Bucephalus posted:

Is that part of the stock induction, or is there a small Roots-type blower mounted on that thing?

Definitely isn't stock judging from the pics I've seen.

VMAX engine with a blower, that's gotta be good for at least 300HP and a goddamn mountain of torque :psyduck:

EDIT: Any excuse to post this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03VlaYedQyw

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 10, 2010

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Doctor Zero posted:

Nobody can hear my engine over my stereo anyway. :smug:

Please tell me that you don't play "Bad to the Bone" at full volume.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

KozmoNaut posted:

EDIT: Any excuse to post this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03VlaYedQyw

This is the only image coming to my mind watching that youtube clip. gently caress

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Christobevii3 posted:

The guy in front looks like he's SegWaying to Comic-Con.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Crayvex posted:

Please tell me that you don't play "Bad to the Bone" at full volume.
"Bad to the Bone" and "Born to be Wild" on loop.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Supercharged VMax

The supercharger reminded me of the kids on bicycles at the beginning of On Any Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007

Christobevii3 posted:

That looks like it'd be the most fun thing ever to roll with a gang of pit bikes.