Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Kikker uses some weird Chinese headlight bulbs that rattled to death, so I replaced the old bulb, lens and reflector with a sylvania 5006. Had to file parts of the stock housing to get it to fit, but otherwise it's great. It still goes through rear tail lights like goons go through cheetos, so I think I need to fit a resistor or LED's to the rear running light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
Just put a pair of Akrapovics on my KTM 990 Adventure.
Spent most of the day trying to remove one of the baffles out. In the end, vice grips saved the day as they always do.

Poor iphone photo, i miss my camera i lost in Vietnam :(

But yeah, these pipes sound absolutely amazing. Ive tried Remus, FMFs in the past on the LC8 motor, but nothing matches the sound of these with baffles out. God drat.

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
Has a good rip on my 09 Boulevard with my buddy on his Virago. 112 km's on it now (this ride almost doubled the mileage :) ). Down the 'mud, trying to find a way down to the river. Hit 110km/hr but didn't find an open way down. That's the fastest I've had her up to. A good rip back, followed by some beer. Oddly, I couldn't get The Mission by Puscifer out of my head the whole ride. There were a few weird looks from various minivans as I was rocking out as much as I dared.

A good day, and another day not pissed my buddy knew how to manipulate me into buying the thing.

Once we get Odin's Shadow on the road, we'll be unstoppable!

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
"Hard Krome"? More like "Hard of Hearing" :haw:

Good riddance, you noisy, obnoxious bastards.

PO fuckery: broken 8mm bolt, drilled and tapped 1/4-20, and a too-long bolt with a stack of springlock washers.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Got my '80 GS850 tagged and registered yesterday in MD...finally, and it's historic! Put my new bar end mirrors on, that are much nicer than the Chinese ebay piles of poo poo that I had before, they actually stay in place when you adjust them.

Last weekend got it up and running again, all it took was a new battery and an oil change.

This weekend will be replacing a messed up engine cover and possibly putting my new calipers on if they get here in time (I doubt it...coming from Canada).

Also, any of you guys every make a custom length clutch cable? I put different bars on my bike so now my clutch cable does a big 6" loop above the handlebars that looks retarded.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Plinkey posted:

Also, any of you guys every make a custom length clutch cable? I put different bars on my bike so now my clutch cable does a big 6" loop above the handlebars that looks retarded.

I just bought one for a different GS that had the same style bars I switched to, and the length was much much better.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS
Just bought a new CDI for the 650L. Poor bike has been dead for a month or two now :(

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

UserNotFound posted:

I just bought one for a different GS that had the same style bars I switched to, and the length was much much better.

What did you go from -> to, like bike models and bar type?

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Plinkey posted:

What did you go from -> to, like bike models and bar type?

I went from the GS550L bars to GP style bars and got cables from a GS550E, which was I think about a 6-8" difference in length of the clutch and throttle cables.

Linked cuz I didn't resize it:
http://alexkubacki.com/Junk/IMG_0050.JPG

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Plinkey posted:

Got my '80 GS850 tagged and registered yesterday in MD...finally, and it's historic! Put my new bar end mirrors on, that are much nicer than the Chinese ebay piles of poo poo that I had before, they actually stay in place when you adjust them.

Last weekend got it up and running again, all it took was a new battery and an oil change.

This weekend will be replacing a messed up engine cover and possibly putting my new calipers on if they get here in time (I doubt it...coming from Canada).

Needs pics with the bar ends... I need to know how they'll look on my bike, and since ours could be twins...

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

orthod0ks posted:

Needs pics with the bar ends... I need to know how they'll look on my bike, and since ours could be twins...

Also shows my clutch cable loop issue behind the speedo.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Plinkey posted:

Can't loop it round the back of the engine from the other side to take up the slack?

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
Yesterday... installed new spark plugs in the GS850 GL, and also took the top box off as a precautionary measure. My wife and two of her girlfriends are taking the MSF course this weekend and will be practicing on the 850, with the box removed I'll really only have to worry about turn signal damage if when they tip over.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
Not a drat thing. (Well, OK, I put the mounting pad for my new Cortech Tank bag on Gorky. Doesn't count.)

I did get to shooting the poo poo with a neighbor in the complex. He's 63, looks every day of it, and smells like the 1970's. He's awesome. I should hook him up with my 67 year old mom. =)

Anyway - he's got an '05 Sportster that didn't have the battery tended overwinter, so, he's got his battery, that I removed from his bike, on his workbench in his garage, connected to my charger.

And I think I talked him out of getting any more service done at the Dealership. (though, I've got to admit the price for his tires was pretty reasonable. The rear was $130+30 installation.)

drat nice bike, too. Less than 2000 miles on it, but he's done time-interval maintenance vs. mile-based, since he's (one hell of a mother) trucker, and doesn't have much time to ride anymore, but when he's got time, he wants the bike to be ready to go.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
After chasing down and repairing a bad ground on my blinker, finding the right bulb and going to the inspection station 4 times only to turn around due to stupid-long lines I finally took the 636 through inspection. The guy comes out, asks the mileage and puts a passing sticker on. No checking of lights, horn, nothing! Craziness! Also, I failed in my quest to get some leather pants. Some biker I am.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Pulled off my front brake lines and and one caliper off my GS850. The left stuck on like a sumbitch, and I didn't have a breaker bar handy, so that will have to wait until I can take a trip to home depot or something to get a length of pipe. New calipers should be here sometime next week.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
Got the KLR out after work and went tooling around a bit. I didn't go too far because I haven't really done much in the way of maintenance on it in a while.

God drat it was a nice day out today.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Installed a new chain and sprockets on my CBR600F2. Took three hours total, from removing the old sprockets, to getting the old chain off, to installing the new chain. I didn't even need an air gun for the front sprocket bolt! Good thing, too, because I don't have one.

So, in the last month, I've changed my oil, cleaned my carbs, fixed some hose routing, changed brake pads, replaced fork seals, replaced chain and sprockets, replaced CDI and starter solenoid, replaced R/R and battery, replaced headlight and turn signal bulbs, fixed twisted forks, fixed headlight switch, and replaced the cam chain tensioner. This weekend I'll be installing Woodcraft rearsets. Not bad for somebody who's only ridden for a year and only just started learning how to work on bikes.

Wonder how much that all would have cost if a shop did it...

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
Didn't ride it, because the bleed nipple on the rear brake does just that - bleed. It's leaking a bit since I changed the hoses, but it is tight. Time for a new nipple, or you think it's the caliper threads?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Cleaned out the area under the drive sprocket cover. Not as crusted with poo poo as I was expecting.

Also adjusted the chain slack, and I'm about to take it out for a test ride. Hope I torqued everything properly!

*never posts again*

edit 'cause I'm not dead: What a loving difference 10 mm of chain slack makes. Shifts like its brand new again, no jerking around when shifting, etc. I also didn't realize I could actually adjust the height of the shifter, I might try it out like one spline lower.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 9, 2010

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Can't loop it round the back of the engine from the other side to take up the slack?

Not really, it looks like it goes down the fork, through the center of the engine and takes a right turn to the clutch arm thing. I'm not sure how I can really re-route it.

I took the lever off the other day to look at it, and it's just a round ferrule (right word?) at the end to hold it into the lever. Not a huge deal but if I can clean it up I'd be nice. Is it possible to cut the cable and attach another one?

I've been trying to google it, but I think I'm using the wrong term.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Plinkey posted:

Not really, it looks like it goes down the fork, through the center of the engine and takes a right turn to the clutch arm thing. I'm not sure how I can really re-route it.

I took the lever off the other day to look at it, and it's just a round ferrule (right word?) at the end to hold it into the lever. Not a huge deal but if I can clean it up I'd be nice. Is it possible to cut the cable and attach another one?

I've been trying to google it, but I think I'm using the wrong term.

I would give this guy a buzz
http://www.z1enterprises.com/default.aspx

He stocks all kinds of vintage parts and is really well informed on what parts swap with what. I would give him a call and tell him you need a gs850 cable but however many inches shorter and he will probably have a cable off a 650 or something that will be the right size in stock. He's gotten me parts that local places couldn't even look up.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Pubic Lair posted:

I would give this guy a buzz
http://www.z1enterprises.com/default.aspx

He stocks all kinds of vintage parts and is really well informed on what parts swap with what. I would give him a call and tell him you need a gs850 cable but however many inches shorter and he will probably have a cable off a 650 or something that will be the right size in stock. He's gotten me parts that local places couldn't even look up.

I've used Z1 a bunch of times. They know their stuff. Tell him what you need and he'll make it happen for cheap.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Crayvex posted:

I've used Z1 a bunch of times. They know their stuff. Tell him what you need and he'll make it happen for cheap.

Just echoing this. Absolutely fantastic service and great prices - can't recomend enough.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!
Up graded the sub frame bolts on my KLR today.
This is what came out:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

As you can see one was already broke, and I am lucky I didn't hit a bad bump and take the other one out.
Granted I usually always carry junk on the back my KLR (oddest load was 20lb of cheese), but I would recommend all KLR owners to do the upgrade.
These bolts are replaced by a single M10 grade 12.9 bolt, a jump up from two M8 grade 10.9 bolts.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Put an o-ring chain on and changed the oil. The old chain turned into a stiff rusted piece of poo poo and I didn't even notice until I took it off. :saddowns:

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
My girlfriend is a pledge for a sorority now, and she just experienced being auctioned for as part of a "maid bid" even today. For $10 for a private bid, I got her to be the one doing chain cleaning on my Ninja 250 and 500 tomorrow. It'll be fun.

I just added Cobra F1r slip-ons to my Ninja 250. I posted the video of it in the pics & video thread. I just ordered Kerker slip-ons for my 500 tonight. Goodbye, stock buzzy exhaust. Hello, eternally staring car drivers and pedestrians.

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 10, 2010

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SuperSlant6 posted:

Up graded the sub frame bolts on my KLR today.
This is what came out:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

As you can see one was already broke, and I am lucky I didn't hit a bad bump and take the other one out.
Granted I usually always carry junk on the back my KLR (oddest load was 20lb of cheese), but I would recommend all KLR owners to do the upgrade.
These bolts are replaced by a single M10 grade 12.9 bolt, a jump up from two M8 grade 10.9 bolts.

I don't recommend owners of 2nd-gen KLRs do the single-bolt upgrade. I was looking at doing that to mine last year after one of the bolts supplied with my crash bars snapped. As it turned out, when I rotated the subframe back after drilling out the bit of bolt that remained, the bar into which the subframe attachment holes are tapped narrows down in the middle, inside the frame tube where you can't see, leaving maybe a ten-thou wall through that section if you get it straight through.

I have no idea if the 1st-gen narrows down like that. If it doesn't, a drill-thru is perfectly safe. On the bright side, the 2nd-gen has M10 bolts stock at those points, so it's definitely stronger than the 1st-gen. Swapping the stock 10.9's for 12.9's is IMO the best solution for the newer bikes, if you feel you need the extra strength.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Went out this morning with the idea that I was going to pick up some lube for the chain, decided that I should go for a short ride, got to end of said ride and decided I was near enough to the national park that I may as well make it a bit longer. I got to the end of the national park and decided that there must be bike shops in Wollongong so I continued onwards. Got bored with Wollongong so I headed up the Illawarra escarpment. I went up one way, down another (gotta love scenic drive signage) and the back up another and followed another path back to the national park, through the park and then home. All told around 320km, 5 hours and I still forgot to get the lube.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Bucephalus posted:

PO fuckery: broken 8mm bolt, drilled and tapped 1/4-20, and a too-long bolt with a stack of springlock washers.

Broke screw extractor.:cry:
Used Dremel tool with a small carbide burr to grind out broken tip of extractor, then carved away the remains of the broken bolt (which is probably what I should've done to begin with).
Chased threads.
Procured appropriate M8 bolt.
Installed stock exhaust.
Enjoyed a ride of more than 5 miles without my ears ringing.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Finally got my sliders/engine case protectors installed

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
The Virago WAS going to be running today, but I've been dragged to art events for the remainder of the evening. I at least picked up fuel line, oil filter and plugs, so hopefully tomorrow! Just gotta clean the carb and remember where everything goes...

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Rode both my bikes. Tried out the transport 19 tank bag on the R6. It was windy as gently caress and I didn't go on the highway because I wasn't sure if it was going to stay on with the huge blasts of wind. Maybe I'm just being paranoid?

I was surprised how invisible that tank bag is. I expected it to be in the way or at least be noticable, but it was out of the way!

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Crayvex posted:

Rode both my bikes. Tried out the transport 19 tank bag on the R6. It was windy as gently caress and I didn't go on the highway because I wasn't sure if it was going to stay on with the huge blasts of wind. Maybe I'm just being paranoid?

I was surprised how invisible that tank bag is. I expected it to be in the way or at least be noticable, but it was out of the way!

I have that same bag. As long as all four magnets are clamped in place that thing isnt going ANYWHERE. I used it all throughout the year last season in wind, rain, almost snow... and it stayed solid as a rock throughout all of it. I think the max speed I was to with that installed was around 120-130 with a crosswind strong enough to lean the bike over 10 degrees to stay in a straight line.

For me:

Drove into work today with a 600w x 2 redundant server power supply on my back... yea slightly heavy. Also lubed the chain. enjoying the nice weather :cool:

dietcokefiend fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 11, 2010

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rode the VFR over to the bike shop for oil and a filter. Changed the oil on the DRZ. That was a mess fun.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Repainted the right mirror after my friend dropped the bike :(
Expoxied on a side cover plug/tab
Painted the seats

Still gotta put new tires on whenever they feel like arriving.

OdinAllfather
Mar 24, 2008

MY FURSONA IS SQUISHFACED
Helped Bhurak strap a huge gas can to his CBR125, adventure ahoy!:woop:

We then stuck a heater next to my Shadow for an hour, and pow! pow! It came to life. With my newly lubed and attached throttle cables, I was able to take it on it's maiden voyage. (Up and down the alley in first.)
Then I realized that the brake lever is horribly mangled and needs to be bent back or replaced, the front forks are leaving allot of lube laying around, and the brakes in general are pretty soft for some reason.
Still, riding a bike older than me, 1 day after a snowstorm: :black101:

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Installed rear turn signals (finally), a front sprocket cover that was mysteriously absent on my CBR F2, and some Woodcraft rearsets. The rearsets have a much better position for me and now my knees properly come up to the tank, instead of hovering down below the tank where the fairings are.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Today I rode the ZZR1200 in. It was great because it's been raining here and I just mounted some new Michelin Road 2s. I locked up the front repeatedly while screwing around with the wet pavement and the slick coating still on the tires. They give great feedback before they lock though, a sort of strong pulsing/rubbing feel. They hadn't worn in or gotten up to temp by the time I made it to work, but they already felt better than the old beat up PR1s, which can probably stand on their own thanks to how flat spotted they were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Lane split through the morning rush for the first time this year today. It sure is fun and easy to go past about 700 cars but there is an element of unnecessary risk to it. I'm glad I don't do it every day.

Google Maps link to the most congested bit (the google car went there in low traffic). Two lanes, one in each direction. 40 mph speed limit, decent view ahead. You definitely have to plan four or five seconds ahead, no straying into the opposite lane unless you can see an opening two-three seconds ahead. It would suck to be outside a truck with another truck coming towards you. :)