Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

That looks like it'd be the most fun thing ever to roll with a gang of pit bikes.

Carry airsoft guns and drink 40's of chocolate milk to complete the effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Christobevii3 posted:

MSF class, right? No?

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Crazy-awesome 5-axis CNC mill cuts a motocross helmet out of a single solid billet of aluminum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnIvhlKT7SY

Sure it would be heavy and not provide much protection. But that is the most brilliant, bad-rear end, amazing hunk of head art ever.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
^^^^ For the love of all that is holy, will people stop loving posting this video.

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

That looks like it'd be the most fun thing ever to roll with a gang of pit bikes.

Someone post the moped rap.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Dubs posted:

Someone post the moped rap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_kIUSr7-is

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Dubs posted:

^^^^ For the love of all that is holy, will people stop loving posting this video.

WTF I just saw that posted on Slashdot. Is it that old?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Linedance posted:

while trying to find out more about that VTR paint scheme (is it factory?) I came across this:

ok whatever it is it clearly isn't finished, but that's a goddamn VMax engine in there. Jesus.

:flashfap::flashfap::flashfap::flashfap::flashfap::flashfap::flashfap::flashfap::flashfap::flashfap:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Tsaven Nava posted:

Sure it would be heavy and not provide much protection. But that is the most brilliant, bad-rear end, amazing hunk of head art ever.

i wonder how much heavier. and i wonder if you put the normal foam impact absorbing poo poo inside, would it be as safe.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

the walkin dude posted:

That's great. It explains why everybody's been staring at me when I'm on the bike. My next goal is to find slip-ons for my Ninja 500. Yay for routing the ears of everybody around me!

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I think this one was on the second day of msf, teaching you how to do staying alive while riding?

Another mini

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Me on my Frankenbike (CBR 600 F2 with a fuckton of mods).

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Why spend all that money on expensive custom bent pipes?

Bicycle handlebars

Cut

Weld

Ta-da!

From here: http://www.monkeygarage.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=4622

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

More work on my thesis:

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

eggyolk posted:

More work on my thesis:

That is really loving cool, I can't wait to see it finished.

DiZ
Jan 3, 2005

I am Dizzunk, Certified German Lubrication Technician.
Having just started working with SolidWorks, all I can say is holy gently caress, that's awesome.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

eggyolk posted:

concept bike

Awesome, keep posting!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

eggyolk posted:

More work on my thesis:

This a design thing or are you goin' fully mechanical with it? What's standing out to me is your front sprocket is coaxial with your swingarm pivot. That's really unusual, though BMW made it work on their latest dirt bike. I'd actually like to get a look at assembly drawings or an exploded diagram of it sometime. Another thing about your driveline is that the rear axle isn't currently held in by anything, though you may have plans for that. It'll also need to be adjustable for chain tension, even with the fancy output shaft, and it looks like you haven't made provisions for that unless there's an eccentric adjuster hiding in there.

Your modelling's pretty awesome, though.

e: Is the rear shock working in tension?

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
^^^^ I think the 'front sprocket' is actually an electric motor

Where do you sit?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
More like where do you put your feet?

That's incredibly bad rear end-looking, though.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Dubs posted:

^^^^ I think the 'front sprocket' is actually an electric motor

Where do you sit?

It's got a clutch lever though?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Could be a rear brake lever.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.

blugu64 posted:

It's got a clutch lever though?

Whelp, shruggin. Levers might just be mirrored through the centerline. Im not sure what motor the gearbos connects too though

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

It's about 90% done now, so yeah, the lack of pegs and presence of a clutch lever are purely laziness.

Glad you guys like it, here's some retarded color studies:

I'm always wary to post anything on the forums for fear of plagiarism so this'll be all for a while.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

eggyolk posted:

It's about 90% done now, so yeah, the lack of pegs and presence of a clutch lever are purely laziness.

:dominic:

I'm always wary to post anything on the forums for fear of plagiarism so this'll be all for a while.

While I really like the patterns you've used, those colors are out of control. They work pretty well together, but I'd cut the # used in each scheme by at least half.

And maybe it's just me being "functional" but I'd relocate the rear pegs so that they're mounted on the frame instead of the rear swingarm. Might sully the lines a bit, but that way your legs won't be flopping around with the rear shock travel.

Cool looking design though, digging the big swoopy curve of the forks/plastics/seat.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
The pegs look like they are mounted under the tail, and extend to sit under swing arm.

-DUB
EO interpreting designs, AI.CA Division

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Boat posted:

And maybe it's just me being "functional" but I'd relocate the rear pegs so that they're mounted on the frame instead of the rear swingarm.

Looks like the pegs are attached to the frame, there's a bracket between the peg and the seat. I'd be concerned about sliding over the smooth ski jump of a tank under braking, some high friction saddle material would be handy. :v:

edit:

- OLA
EO Not Reading Posts, AI.CA division

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Its even got a nice slippery dip bump so you can land on your feet, and simply walk away from accidents!.

eggyolk - is there any aero advantage to all the bodywork, or is it purely fancy?

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Let's post some concept bikes. This one is almost 10 years old but still looks great: http://www.naulapaa.com/flash/aprilia_RAM.swf

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

eggyolk posted:

The second to last one is great. Although it appears for some strange reason that the rear wheel is smaller than the front one? :iiam:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Dubs posted:

The pegs look like they are mounted under the tail, and extend to sit under swing arm.
Ah, good catch, I missed that little bit leading down to the pegs.

Ringo R posted:

Let's post some concept bikes. This one is almost 10 years old but still looks great: http://www.naulapaa.com/flash/aprilia_RAM.swf
:hawaaaafap:

Holy poo poo. HOLY poo poo. They need to make this. If not them, somebody. I loving LOVE that insectoid look, and those handlebars are cool as poo poo. Also, loving V5?!? Crazy. Posting some image captures so more people click the link cuz drat!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=19437.0

quote:

Here are a few pics of the Lego graphic installed on an AGV stealth. The vinyl will be printed oversize so that you can trim it to your helmet for a truly custom fit.

Submit your vote and post any comments or concerns you have.

The official thread and details found here: http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=19030.0

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

How hard can it really be to get two wheel drive on a bike? If you have the forkless steering as pictured above, you could have a sprocket there too somewhere. And front wheel drive cars manage to put power to a steering wheel, so why not on a bike?

I suppose the answer is lots of mechanical complexity and weight for no real advantage. Engineering rationality! :argh:

Dukkha
Jun 16, 2003
focus... on the pool.

I LOVE it! That is so fantastic.

*edit* After reading some of the thread over on that ducati forum, I'm a little concerned about visibility though. I'm assuming that is you in the photos, how distracting are the dots in the vinyl? Have you had it on long or made many daytime trips with it?

Dukkha fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 12, 2010

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Ola posted:

How hard can it really be to get two wheel drive on a bike? If you have the forkless steering as pictured above, you could have a sprocket there too somewhere. And front wheel drive cars manage to put power to a steering wheel, so why not on a bike?

I suppose the answer is lots of mechanical complexity and weight for no real advantage. Engineering rationality! :argh:
They are doing it here, but kinda halfassing it

http://www.gizmag.com/go/3180/picture/6153/

http://www.gizmag.com/go/2351/picture/3397/

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

quote:

Sunday November 16, 2003 In one of the most significant moves in motorcycle history, Yamaha has announced that it will release a two-wheel drive motorcycle early in 2004.

Heh. Will they now? Funny how all concept news tend to include "will be released some time in the future, perhaps 8 to 12 months from now".

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

Dukkha posted:

I LOVE it! That is so fantastic.

*edit* After reading some of the thread over on that ducati forum, I'm a little concerned about visibility though. I'm assuming that is you in the photos, how distracting are the dots in the vinyl? Have you had it on long or made many daytime trips with it?

Its not me :). For what its worth, if you look in that thread there is a photo from inside the helmet.

If I were to put that on my visor, I'd at minimum get a pair of yellow gloves to make the illusion complete.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande

niethan posted:

They are doing it here, but kinda halfassing it

http://www.gizmag.com/go/3180/picture/6153/

http://www.gizmag.com/go/2351/picture/3397/

The Yamaha was supposed to be entered into the Dakar rally but I don't know what happened about that.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ola posted:

It's stupid good offroad, apparently, and very good in the rain on asphalt, but not great otherwise.

http://www.christini.com/

Christini does a lot of work with 2wd stuff.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

eggyolk posted:

Love this one, looks like alien skin. Would be better maybe without the red but still, it looks awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ringo R posted:

how the hell is the steering supposed to work? Steer by wire?