Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Has anyone else seen the monstrosity which is Lion Brand "FUN" yarn?

It's...horrible. Nightmarish. It's everything that's wrong with Grandma yarn. It's scratchy acrylic that only comes in painfully bright neon colors. All I can figure out is that they're trying to tap into the 'Arts & Crafts time at the Day Camp' market.

e: According to their website FUN yarn is "ideal for crafting, school, and charity projects". Those poor kids. :(

Wandering Knitter fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 8, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
But it's FUN!

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I'm suspicious. If it was really that fun, they wouldn't have to put fun right in the name, would they?

Zombie Pirate
Jan 3, 2009

Kitty, you wouldn't happen to have any super powers, would you?

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

I'm suspicious. If it was really that fun, they wouldn't have to put fun right in the name, would they?

It's fun, and you'll have fun using it. Or else...

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Zombie Pirate posted:

It's fun, and you'll have fun using it. Or else...

Oh god, no - if anyone finds me hanging from a neon purple and green i-cord rope IT WASN'T SUICIDE.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
I saw the FUN yarn at Big Lots one day, on sale, in a sad looking bin. Next to it was some legit mohair which I could have bought but on second thought I'll never use it so there :)

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
THIS is what happens if you don't check your gauge when using unmarked yarn from a bin under your bed and then you run out of it and have to make a sleeve in a different colour but your best friend is totally cool with it because you've been subsidising trips to the cinema and Burger King for him for 6 years so he will drat well wear what he's given for his birthday and look proud about it :argh:

Oh and here's the reason I ran out of blue yarn. Finally got round to locating some stuffing for this guy. His tentacles are all different lengths because my mental definition of an inch changes by the second and I didn't feel like using a tape measure...

He looks... uh... very homemade.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I fail at knitting this week. I started a new pair of socks. I knit the ribbing. That was easy. Then I knit an increase round, as per the pattern. That was easy too.

Then I apparently suffered a short coma, forgot I knit the increase round, and tried to knit it again on top of itself, all the while saying to myself "Geez, I made a lot of accidental increases on the last round of ribbing". Duuuurrrrr.

So I ripped back and redid the increase row, then tried to go on.

Only to realize I read the increases wrong and I'm missing a fuckload of stitches now.

ARGHH.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I fail at knitting this week. I started a new pair of socks. I knit the ribbing. That was easy. Then I knit an increase round, as per the pattern. That was easy too.

Then I apparently suffered a short coma, forgot I knit the increase round, and tried to knit it again on top of itself, all the while saying to myself "Geez, I made a lot of accidental increases on the last round of ribbing". Duuuurrrrr.

So I ripped back and redid the increase row, then tried to go on.

Only to realize I read the increases wrong and I'm missing a fuckload of stitches now.

ARGHH.

I hate those days. I either end up spinning (and then consistently dropping my spindles till I'm ready to scream) or just tossing it all down and possibly frogging.

The city knitting group I'm part of took a field trip on Saturday to a yarn store for the owner's birthday. There was cake and lots of yarn--and a storewide 20% off sale. Despite telling myself not to spend too much, I came home with more fiber than I know what to do with and a new spindle (I did manage to resist buying a wheel).

I also got some knitting done, and now my Aragorn socks are all finished!

I started them during Ravelympics, and after hitting a serious time crunch and picking a different entry over these, I never got back to the second sock. Now I have a pair, hoorah!

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
^^
Gorgeous! Aragorn is definitely on my to-knit list once I have a few more basic socks under my belt. How challenging did you find the cabling?

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Ooh nice. I like how it sort of swoops across the foot there.

I'm better at knitting today. Except I miscrossed two cables but I loving fixed them. Stupid knitting.

I'm thinking about starting another shawl to take my mind off socks a tad - I don't want to go completely insane. I want to do Aeolian and I have some bright pink silky alpaca laceweight. What color beads do you guys think I should get? Matte pink? Gray? Clear? Silver? High contrast or something that will blend in but add a little sparkle?

Zombie Pirate
Jan 3, 2009

Kitty, you wouldn't happen to have any super powers, would you?

What color beads do you guys think I should get? Matte pink? Gray? Clear? Silver? High contrast or something that will blend in but add a little sparkle?

I like the idea of a dark, shiny gray. Kind of like hematite.

I wish I didn't have as much studying to do, now that I'm reading this thread I want to knit again, right now.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
If you can give me a picture of the color or something I can give you a better suggestion on what'll work with it color-theory wise.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
hello knitting thread!

i finally managed to take a picture of something.

I spent the last few days knitting this. It's [url=http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/gabriels-wings]Gabriel's Wings[url] knit with my own hand-dyed, handspun laceweight merino.

This was actually my first time knitting something with my own handspun and it was really cool to see it take shape! (Even though I'm not huge on shawls...I shall use it to cozy my neck.)

I was planning to work on the sock yarn I am spinning but my wheel is all squeaky! I must venture out for oil.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
/\/\/\That is gorgeous. Did you dye it to stripe or is it two different yarns? It reminds me of the bohus sweaters.

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

If you can give me a picture of the color or something I can give you a better suggestion on what'll work with it color-theory wise.

Not sure how accurate their website is but this is the yarn: http://www.classiceliteyarns.com/product_page_detail.php?category_id=1&item_id=25

It's color "2425 - Rosa Rugosa" second picture down second in from the left. Sort of a raspberry, which I'm happy about! I was going by memory of this yarn I bought like a year ago and in my mind it was more of a hot pink.

EDIT: madlilnerd - I thought I commented on it before but I just scrolled up and realized I forgot to in my rage over the wrong sock increases - I loving LOVE your squid. He is awesome. And I want one too.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
I didn't really dye or spin with any intention, it was all kind of experimental for me, but now that I've knit it I understand how it came out striping like that, because i'd spin vaguely even amounts of blue and yellow one after another.

I'm excited to do more though, now that I'm starting to understand how to create the effects I want.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
Do any of you have really, really thick relatives?

As in someone who waits until you are row 120 of a 220 row design, in slippy loving cotton, doing a double yarn over, who demands attention immediately? And then you watch in horror as one hundred rows of double yarn overs drops and unravel...while they whine that you don't love them because they can't get your undivided attention as you try to rescue the project? The project that you had to pull out of the vaccum cleaner once already, because they decided to vaccum the couch without moving your things (or moved them without asking you while you were up getting them a sandwich)?

I have one thirty-year-old, PhD, husband. Who does the above. And then says I've gone mental when I get *angry* about the fact he has destroyed what I was doing and that I obviously don't love him because I wanted him to shut the gently caress up for two minutes while I figured out if I could save it.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Drei posted:

^^
Gorgeous! Aragorn is definitely on my to-knit list once I have a few more basic socks under my belt. How challenging did you find the cabling?

I have a deep-seated love for all cabling, and these are just over one stitch each time (so I suppose it's a traveling stitch motif). Being able to cable without a cable needle makes it a ton faster since you're only ever crossing one stitch over another. Otherwise, it makes a lot of sense, and visually it cues itself so that using the chart isn't really all the necessary after a repeat or two.

It's a cuff down sock, and the designer made some really intriguing (but not difficult to implement) choices about how to get the sock the way it is--I really like them because it didn't feel like I was knitting 'another pair of socks' since the construction had things I hadn't seen in another sock.

Molly Bloom, that's utterly horrifying. None of my relatives do that, but mostly because the one time one of them came close to messing up a piece I threatened them with bodily harm and a 10" steel US 10 needle.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Molly Bloom posted:

As in someone who waits until you are row 120 of a 220 row design, in slippy loving cotton, doing a double yarn over, who demands attention immediately? And then you watch in horror as one hundred rows of double yarn overs drops and unravel...while they whine that you don't love them because they can't get your undivided attention as you try to rescue the project? The project that you had to pull out of the vaccum cleaner once already, because they decided to vaccum the couch without moving your things (or moved them without asking you while you were up getting them a sandwich)?

I have one thirty-year-old, PhD, husband. Who does the above. And then says I've gone mental when I get *angry* about the fact he has destroyed what I was doing and that I obviously don't love him because I wanted him to shut the gently caress up for two minutes while I figured out if I could save it.

Uh. Wow. My advice would be to hit him with something very hard. Or accidentally vacuum up his PhD.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
All of my friends/family members know if I'm knitting they do not talk to me, and they are to never touch the knitting. If i'm in the middle of a row I wont answer the door, I try to ulock it if i'm expecting people and tell them to come in, if they dont they're waiting until I'm goddamn done.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
My fiance knows to wait until I'm done with a row, and not to touch or move anything I'm working on. I only had to point out once that my needles were the same size as his pupils.

EDIT: but he also knows what goes into knitting now. He'll walk by and ask, "oh, you're purling now?".

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Amykinz posted:

EDIT: but he also knows what goes into knitting now. He'll walk by and ask, "oh, you're purling now?".

I remember the time I was making a rib stitch and one of my friends said "Wait. You're moving the needles the same but it looks weird HOW DID YOU DO THAT?" To her my purl stitches were black magic :3:

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
Well, the Niebling doily is in the bin now, so I guess I'm moving on. And I've learned how to read the Japanese charts, so I'll know how for the next one.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
Molly Bloom, I want to give you the biggest :glomp: ever! Whenever I've worked on a project around someone, they've been rather understanding. I've had my cats or my grandparents' dogs jump on me while working on something but thankfully didn't lose anything. And my boyfriend is almost conditioned after 8 years to know not to touch my things.

I can't imagine losing that much of a project :( The worst that's happened to me was ripping out about 6 rows to restart a stripe properly and somehow getting it backwards putting it back on the needles? But it only seems to show to me, heh.

Have you tried sitting him down and showing him just how much work goes into something like that? Do you have anything comparable you can use as a metaphor or perhaps "accidentally" destroy? :devil:

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Molly Bloom posted:

Well, at least I know I'm not the only one!

My ex-girlfriend would like to attempt to "help out" on my knitting projects when I wasn't watching. Problem is, she didn't really know how to knit. Or follow a pattern. If I was lucky, I'd end up with a couple of random inches of fabric attached to the end of whatever I was working. If I was unlucky I'd end up with a completely destroyed project. I got my fair share of "You don't trust me"s when I started hiding my projects whenever she came over. :)

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
Finished my shawl finally:
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Media/colonnade-shawl

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Blue_monday posted:

Finished my shawl finally:
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Media/colonnade-shawl

Oh man, yours came out 100 times nicer than mine. What yarn did you use?

Mine looked, and felt, like total crap. I'm hiding it because I don't know what I'll ever do with it.

Edit: Nevermind, clicked the link. I used Lambs Pride Bulky. WHY DID I DO THAT?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Molly Bloom posted:

My mum moves my stuff but as she's a crafter herself she's really good and gentle about it. The only things that jump on me for attention are the cats, which proves problematic when you've got a chocolate longhair and you're knitting a white cardigan for someone with allergies.
I feel bad for you. Just remember, he's not related by blood so it's not killing one of your own... :ninja:

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Genpei Turtle posted:

Well, at least I know I'm not the only one!

My ex-girlfriend would like to attempt to "help out" on my knitting projects when I wasn't watching. Problem is, she didn't really know how to knit.

I taught my sister to knit (a debbie bliss baby sweater :3: ) when Sister was on bedrest for six weeks before having my niece. Her former friend/roommate (jerk) picked up and knit on the baby sweater when Sister wasn't in the room.. MORE THAN ONCE On the only thing Sister has ever knit, for her unborn and potentially threatened child. (Sister was a very high risk pregnancy, and she lost the baby before this one)

Like Sister left it near the couch, and she'd come back to five or six rows of twisted stitches because Jerk evidently knit combined without knowing it. Once asked not to touch the drat knitting, Jerk got defensive and countered that because I was working on parts of the sweater, (fixing mistakes made by a new knitter, when requested)she was more than obligated to knit on it as well, it was her RIGHT. My sister ended up having to hide the knitting when she was asleep, because Jerk would still try to work on it, and I'd have to come over and fix it.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Wow, what the gently caress. I've actually heard a bunch of stories like that, "my friend knitted on my project while I was in the bathroom". Seriously WHAT gets into people's heads?

I don't go to woodworkers houses and wait till they're in the bathroom and then fire up the loving jigsaw.

Knitting has to be the only hobby where this happens, right?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Knitting has to be the only hobby where this happens, right?

Mum's annoying friend: "OH WOW, you do cross stitch?"
Mum: "No, it's my daughter's. She's at work."

Thanks for messing up all my greens love. No, no worry, I guess it's okay that angel's dress looks like it's never been ironed thanks to your errant stitching loving up the pleats.

Oh oh oh, today I went to my first US yarn store, Bad Girl Yarns (uh... I think) in Wallingford, Seattle. So many beautiful looking and feeling yarns... I might have to go back and pick up a couple of balls of something shiny to knit my boyfriend's mum a scarf as a thank you for having me pressie.

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....

madlilnerd posted:

Oh oh oh, today I went to my first US yarn store, Bad Girl Yarns (uh... I think) in Wallingford, Seattle. So many beautiful looking and feeling yarns... I might have to go back and pick up a couple of balls of something shiny to knit my boyfriend's mum a scarf as a thank you for having me pressie.

Holy poo poo you're in Seattle right now!? Craziness. :hfive: And Bad Woman Yarns is in a little mall type deal in what feels like a huge old house in Wallingford, by the QFC. If that sounds right, you were in fact at Bad Woman Yarns. :) If you get a chance head over to Weaving Works in the U-District, which is actually mostly knitting stuff. They have some gorgeous yarn too, and they're one of the cheapest yarn shops in Seattle. I quite enjoy Little Knits in West Seattle, too, especially for sock yarn, or a nice Malabrigo fix. I hope you enjoy your stay in my fair city! :3:

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Sometimes my boyfriend picks up my knitting and starts clicking the needles together and says "Look, I'm knitting!" and I go "Awww putitdownputitdownputitdown"

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
My SO's pretty conscientious about my knitting (probably figures if I work myself into tears about a mistake I made then he does not want that anger and frustration directed at him). The worst thing he's done was spill tea on a silk shawl I had on the desk and even then it was chamomile and just made it smell nice. What he does do that annoys me, but isn't really his fault is if he tries to talk to me if I'm counting stitches or rows. My solution is to start counting aloud in a very deliberate voice and he gets the hint (makes me feel like a jerk but it works).

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I can't even begin to imagine someone just picking up my knitting and doing a few rows behind my back. :psyduck: I think the worst I ever have to put up with is trying to count rows while playing Dungeons and Dragons.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Am I the only one who doesn't get crazy upset about knitting being moved or stitches getting dropped? :confused:

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

elbow posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't get crazy upset about knitting being moved or stitches getting dropped? :confused:

Well it depends on the knitting. I mean, I let my roomie do a few rows on the sleeves of my red cardigan while we were on vacation together (she was bored) and she knit them together (I was doing them two at a time on two needles). But it was a bulky cardigan sleeve so I really didn't care, I just undid it and reknit it and we laughed about it.

But a laceweight shawl that I'd put seventy hours of work into and is a lot harder to fix mistakes on? You're evicted!

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

elbow posted:

I usually don't, but this project was a lot mroe fragile and unrescueable. He's old enough to not go sulk when I don't jump up to give him a hug mid-stitch.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Phishi posted:

Holy poo poo you're in Seattle right now!? Craziness. :hfive: And Bad Woman Yarns is in a little mall type deal in what feels like a huge old house in Wallingford, by the QFC. If that sounds right, you were in fact at Bad Woman Yarns. :) If you get a chance head over to Weaving Works in the U-District, which is actually mostly knitting stuff. They have some gorgeous yarn too, and they're one of the cheapest yarn shops in Seattle. I quite enjoy Little Knits in West Seattle, too, especially for sock yarn, or a nice Malabrigo fix. I hope you enjoy your stay in my fair city! :3:

Yeah, bad woman yarns was it! I'm living in Wallingford for a few weeks visiting my boyfriend so I'll probably go back and mooch around again in the near future. The fabric store next-door was lovely too. I keep going to the park to knit and then moaning that it's too cold and going back home :(

The most important feature of any yarn store is the "man chair" where my boyfriend can half sulk for half an hour as I wander around bitching that nothing is machine washable. We were in U-district yesterday for Pho (mmmm noodles) so I'm sure I can drag him around there if there's the possibility of more noodles. Thanks for the info! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
I just came back from a vacation that basically revolved yarn stores and camera stores (for my husband). I wish camera shops were as considerate as yarn stores about providing seating, I was lucky if there was a stool.