Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

uncle jimbo posted:

The cadian bugs me. I'm sorry, I'm a huge human being, but being able to see that it's obviously half a cadian makes it look like... well, half a cadian, and not a half submerged body. Kinda takes me out of it.

Everything else is ace and is better than anything I could ever possibly do given six years, though.

PaintVagrant posted:

All finished except the water effects:

Pretty sure he is going to layer some water effects so it has water built up over the torso so almost all of it is submerged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Cinara posted:

Pretty sure he is going to layer some water effects so it has water built up over the torso so almost all of it is submerged.

Yeah, this. He will be mostly mostly submerged

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
He's just a fast food knight.
Goddam PV you are a glorious motherfucker. That is great, well done.

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

PaintVagrant posted:

All finished except the water effects:

You're pretty decent at this, you know. Maybe you should do it for a living or at least to bring in some cash on the side.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

chelsea clinton posted:

You're pretty decent at this, you know. Maybe you should do it for a living or at least to bring in some cash on the side.

He's doing it as a commission for someone.
To make cash on the side.

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
He's just a fast food knight.
:ughh:

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
poo poo owns, PV. My only nitpick has nothing to do with the quality, but that I think the little eyes on the front plate always look cooler when they're painted like actual eyes splitting out from the armor.

Water effects are gonna make that baller as hell. :whatup:

Also,

Manifest posted:

He's doing it as a commission for someone.
To make cash on the side.

:negative:

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Bullet Proof posted:

I've been painting Chan Lee from Hell Dorado and I'm pretty happy with how I've gotten his flesh, but I'm having real trouble with the red pants. I need some pointers on making the red really pop. Here's a w.i.p shot:

Nothing really finished yet, so if you have some advice on the flesh as well I'd like to hear it :)

Also here's a size comparison for fun

I have very little minature painting experience, but I have experience with regular painting and color theory, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here, but if you want that red to pop you need to have some green (red's complimentary color) in there. Either a little mixed into the shadows, or perhaps use a green basing material.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
PV, is Zarkov putting your children through college?

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Sole.Sushi posted:

I wish I had that kind of money to drop on commissions :(

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I was gonna paint today

But I played FFVII all day instead.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Zarkov Cortez posted:

I wish I had that kind of money to drop on commissions :(

If I had unlimited cash, I would pay PV to paint a whole army--Imperial Guard, Tyranids or Orks--at his highest scale of expertise.

And then I would drink his delicious tears of anguish for ever agreeing to perform such an act for money. :devil:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Sole.Sushi posted:

I had new york strip steak tonight, if that counts

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Sole.Sushi posted:

If I had unlimited cash, I would pay PV to paint a whole army--Imperial Guard, Tyranids or Orks--at his highest scale of expertise.

And then I would drink his delicious tears of anguish for ever agreeing to perform such an act for money. :devil:

what if we clone pv

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Sole.Sushi posted:

A 2500pt green horde of 2nd ed Monopose starter Orks.

No, wait, Mech guard, we know he hates vehicles.

Personally I'd convert an entire Ad Mech force & send that & a crate of Microarts Skitarri over :worship:

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Fast_Food_Knight posted:

:ughh:

Hell Diver posted:

:negative:

I don't get it.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Manifest posted:

I don't get it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3145404

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The Doombull I posted here just won me best monster and then best overall at the Cardiff store painting comp.

I've got a certificate that says I'm a PAINTING & MODELLING HERO! :unsmith:

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Apr 11, 2010

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Owithey
Aug 16, 2009
Feels stupid posting my crappy attempt at a Firewarrior Squad alongside all the amazing painters in this thread, but here they are. C&C greatly appreciated.

They still need to be based, any suggestions on a theme? I'm thinking of a grassland style to go with my Kroot. I'm quite happy on how they turned out, especially the gemstone style shoulderpads.

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Yog-Sothoth is the key and the guardian of the gate
went with gray for the helmet and i think it turned out nicely. i'm pretty happy with how it looks all painted, my main concern was that it look like a proper model and not have blatantly obvious greenstuff sticking out like a sore thumb which I think came off pretty well :)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yog-Sothoth posted:

Eat fire, Mon-keigh scum

I hesitate to criticise as this is brilliant, but I feel it needs some differentiation between hand & fireball.

Other than that, Nice, colours pop & compliment each other.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
Green eldritch fire is the best eldritch fire :colbert:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Fix posted:

loving the octopus :3: :cthulhu:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Owithey posted:

Feels stupid posting my crappy attempt at a Firewarrior Squad alongside all the amazing painters in this thread, but here they are. C&C greatly appreciated.

They still need to be based, any suggestions on a theme? I'm thinking of a grassland style to go with my Kroot. I'm quite happy on how they turned out, especially the gemstone style shoulderpads.

Matching yellow Savannah-style grass would make sense with the camo, but mixed with green would make them stand out. Do you have a pic of your kroot as an example?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Those are the best Fire Warriors I've seen.

Owithey
Aug 16, 2009

Cakefool posted:

Matching yellow Savannah-style grass would make sense with the camo, but mixed with green would make them stand out. Do you have a pic of your kroot as an example?
They're not painted yet, but I'm going to use some scale scenic long field grass to about knee high to try and give the impression of coming out of scrubland.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Owithey posted:

They're pretty desert-y. No reason you couldn't just base 'em all on sand, with some larger rocks and stuff. Maybe a cactus. :3:

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

Owithey posted:

Did you wash and highlight that mold line on the top of the fire warrior helmet? Or, did you scribe a line based on the mold line's location? Looks good. Makes the helmet look different from everyone elses.

I think a grassland would look pretty good with these. Maybe some tall grass if you're up for the challenge.

I really need to get my poo poo together and paint more of my Tau.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Fixed my lighting setup* :cool:

(* the sun came out)

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Hmm let's see who's on the list of exhibitors for that show here in Sheffield next week. Not heard of Black Scorpion, lets have a look at their website and see what kind of stuff they ma-

:orks::fh:

http://www.blackscorpionminiatures.com

(Also lots of other piratical fantasy, non-fantasy pirates, and FAT MEXICAN)

Owithey
Aug 16, 2009

NecronSchmecron posted:

Did you wash and highlight that mold line on the top of the fire warrior helmet? Or, did you scribe a line based on the mold line's location? Looks good. Makes the helmet look different from everyone elses.

I think a grassland would look pretty good with these. Maybe some tall grass if you're up for the challenge.

I really need to get my poo poo together and paint more of my Tau.

I washed and highlighted it, after priming it I saw the obvious mould line and thought I'd try and fit it into the design.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

Shallow posted:

(Also lots of other piratical fantasy, non-fantasy pirates, and FAT MEXICAN)

I like this guys stuff but looking through his poses is pretty funny. Its basically guy menacing with dual cutlasses down by his sides, guy randomly waving his weapons around or guy looking through an eyeglass.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

It's pretty much that thing of doing flat poses because they can be cast in a single piece. Shame really, I'd be likely to buy some if they were more easily convertible multi-piece models.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Cross post from the oath thread

I decided to try magnetizing my commander, not too hard although I think I might reserve it for commanders and maybe a terminator squad, although doing it for few troop choices is tempting so I could run BT from time to time.

Bonus Commander Gadget action

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Magnetizing troops units is madness- ask Fix.

Really though, for the amount of work it takes it's probably not worth it.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

[IMG]http://img.waffleimages.com/89e572e371225ebf109141f752140f84cbe6af75/FPI_FPI7_1[1].jpg[/IMG]

:supaburn:

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

I think you're all missing the vital point that they make orc pirates.

Oh god what is all this poo poo:

That waaagh banner is actually blurry in real life, honest.

Wagon started in December, burnas bought and assembled a million years ago but only now painted. This reduces my backlog of assembled+primed+unpainted orks by approximately 0.5%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Twigand Berries posted:

Yay Dogtanian, there's blast from the past

• Locked thread