Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessiveForce
Mar 21, 2010
I picked up a new daily beater 1999 9-3 SE so I spent my day replacing the crank position sensor, DIC Cassette, changed the fluids and new filters all around. Hopefully it lasts me a little while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Finally got around to changing my car's oil and rusty filter, then broke the thermostat housing trying to flush the system and spent the day fighting with it to stop it leaking. :eng99:

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.
Last weekend I put wheels on my 08 WRX.

Thursday I put my turboback Perrin exhaust on.

Put springs on yesterday, and finished it up this morning (stripped a nut that's responsible for holding the rear strut in the rear lateral link).

Car looks 1000x better.

allonblack fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 11, 2010

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

FogHelmut posted:

Both outer tie rod ends.

New PCV valve, new air filter.

Screwed around with my idle air control valve, now my cel is on, oops.

Changed my supercharger oil.

175000 mile old supercharger oil. Mmmm.

I bet that smelled really nice. Supercharger oil is some vile poo poo.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Hit a SON OF A BITCH DEER WITH IT AT 40 SOMETHING MILES AN HOUR.

Hood, left light, left side mirror, radiator support, front cowl, radiator and AC condenser are hosed. The left fender is a little hosed, but it might survive.

Anyone have an intact front end for a white 99 civic? :smith:

I can not WAIT for hunting season.

Mobius1B7R
Jan 27, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

Both outer tie rod ends.

New PCV valve, new air filter.

Screwed around with my idle air control valve, now my cel is on, oops.

Changed my supercharger oil.

GP GTP?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I went to the junkyard and got four stock springs for my brother in law's 1999 Nissan Maxima. The previous owner installed lowering springs with dampers with stock valving. Therefor likewise such as the car bounces like crazy over bumps.

My Snap-On cordless electric impact is awesome and I love it. Two things:

It was awesome when I bought it used. Over the winter I sent the batteries to Voltman Batteries for rebuilding and now the gun is really badass.

The impact gun also answers an important theological question. People have asked for a long time that if there is an all-powerful god can he create a rock so heavy he can't lift it?

To answer this question you must first understand that the Snap-On cordless electric impact is all-powerful. I have personally observed it tighten a bolt so tight that the gun could not loosen it afterwards. Ergo god can create a rock so heavy he can't lift it.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 16, 2010

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I installed a 2.4GHz wireless reversing camera. I have no experience in this area so it was a most interesting escapade. Most of the time was spent trying to cram a rubber grommet through a hole I'd drilled, enlarging the hole 0.5mm at a time until it fit.

The thing came with some "scotchlok" connectors for tapping into power, but it didn't say that the different coloured ones were for different wire gauges. So that didn't work and I hacked together my own splicing. Which will probably fail sooner or later.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Mobius1B7R posted:

GP GTP?

Yep.

Today:

Spark plugs

And the CEL turned itself off.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Couldn't take it anymore with the comments about the T/A. (Oh hey I didn't even hear you pull up :argh:)

I installed the longtubes that were on the other car the other night - that part went smoothly. Then had to cut off the factory exhaust. Would have gone much smoother with a sawzall but all I had was an angle grinder so I went for it.

The system reassembled pretty easy back on the car, only minor injuries incurred.

So now the T/A has stainless longtubes, ORY (no cats), and Borla cat back. Still quite sore but well worth it.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
Installed a public address speaker for my XT's 1988 CB Radio. The more amber LCDzzz, knobs and tiny calculator buttons I can put in my car, the better. Not sure what I'll do with the speaker, perhaps I'll scream German into it when pissed or something.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

MATLAB 1988 posted:

Installed a public address speaker for my XT's 1988 CB Radio. The more amber LCDzzz, knobs and tiny calculator buttons I can put in my car, the better. Not sure what I'll do with the speaker, perhaps I'll scream German into it when pissed or something.

I love you. Never stop.

If ever there was a car that wanted one of those multi-colour, twitchy "graphic equalizer" screens from late-80's home stereos, it's the XT.

EDIT: http://cgi.ebay.ca/SUBARU-B9-TRIBEC...=item5d289f872f

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 11, 2010

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
^^^
Nothing that cool, but I trashed my saggy old seats and put in some nice black cloth seats from a 2003 MR2.

Click here for the full 1146x1528 image.

Mobius1B7R
Jan 27, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

Yep.

Today:

Spark plugs

And the CEL turned itself off.

How's it been for you? I just got one. What are the problem areas?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Changed the oil in MY GIRLFRIEND's 03 Focus.

I love that Ford decided to put the filter above the axle so that it's hard to get to and also impossible to not get oil everywhere.

Blocko
Jul 12, 2008

Spoiler alert: Blood Ravens are actually Hiigarans who got sucked into the warp, were sent back in time to fight in WWII against the Panzer Elite, then stole a nazi time machine to go into the future and save mankind from an army of Lobster-Elephants and other impossible creatures.

Rated R.
^^^ Volvo does this with the B230F. It's one of those "Here's some sand on the ground for the inevitable mess I make." moments.

Finsihed installing the heat shield and anchor for the EVOMS SRI (I had been driving around with the tube zap strapped to the upper rad hose for the past 4 months) then I gave it a good wash and cleaning inside and out for the first time since winter. Next week is an oil and brake fluid change.

Blocko fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 11, 2010

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
3L Rangers (like this one), have their filter located above the starter, below the exhaust manifold and right next to the frame rail. It's a gently caress.

But today wasn't about oil! Today was about drum brakes! There wasn't any evident pad wear, but there was some drum wear on the passenger side, and a LOT of drum wear on the driver's side. The passenger's adjuster was frozen, but the drum was able to slide off. The driver's adjuster was super mega frozen, and I had to operate!

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Like opening someone's rib cage, sometimes in automotive tasks, there's nothing for it but to hit something with a cold chisel and sledge hammer. Hooray magnetism!

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

There. All done. I would like to thank my father, who has done Ranger drums many times (and never had it go by the book). I would also like to thank the semi-gated community of Avalon for the use of their streets as a bedding, test and adjustment track.

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

Note that the adjusters were filled to overflow with anti-seize, and then the excess was wiped off.

Oh yeah, I changed that manky assed shock you see there in the back ground. I also removed a bit of muffler heat shield that was no longer attached to anything due to rust.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
I made some progress on my diff swap. It would have probably been done today, except the flange bolts were stuck. Two of them now require replacement, since they got proper hosed when I tried to get them out:

I was eventually able to remove them all. I drained the fluid (gear oil is FUCKIN NASTY):barf: removed the driveshaft nuts, and broke all of the other bolts free, so it should be relatively smooth sailing when I go to drop the new one in next weekend. Here's the beast as it now sits:

And, I figured out why my door all of a sudden started sticking. After consulting my go-to BMW forum for possible causes and finding out that the door handles are made of pot metal that likes to break, I checked out my handle to confirm. Here's the handle assembly I removed from the door.

Uhh, what's that??

Fatal crack confirmed. :( The pivot that always breaks is (of course) not available separately. So, I guess I need a new door handle assembly. Off to RealOEM!

Ah, there it is...

:suicide:

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Jesse Eisenberg fighting Michael Cera. It's supposed to be bundles of twigs topped with brillo pads
Real OEM prices aren't usually very accurate. Meaning that the handle might cost even more.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Mobius1B7R posted:

How's it been for you? I just got one. What are the problem areas?

My dad had bought it used from a dealer with around 30k miles on it, I bought it from him around 130k miles. I really wouldn't say it's had any problems you wouldn't see on any other 12 year old car with 175k miles on it. Just regular wear and tear I guess. After 100k miles and up, things that have been replaced on this were starter, alternator, air conditioner, heater core, thermostat, blower motor, window motor/regulator, struts, wheel bearings, outer tie rod ends. The auto dimming rear view mirror cracked inside and all of the liquid crystal goop leaked out. The automatic trunk pop button hasn't worked for a while, still trying to figure that one out. Normal stuff for an old daily driver.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Is this something that might be possible to pull off a wreck in a junkyard? Did BMW use the same door-handle-assemblies for a range of cars, or just in 8-series like yours?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Spent 5 hours tearing pieces off the parts car so I can junk it. Nearly done, just need to get the dash and rear suspension out.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

peterjmatt posted:

Real OEM prices aren't usually very accurate. Meaning that the handle might cost even more.

I know...I can get an OEM parts discount as well, so it shouldn't be too terrible. I mainly look at RealOEM to get ball park prices, and to see what part numbers I need to actually order. Saves the counter guys time looking it up, and I know I get the right stuff.

ExecuDork posted:

Is this something that might be possible to pull off a wreck in a junkyard? Did BMW use the same door-handle-assemblies for a range of cars, or just in 8-series like yours?

RealOEM cross reference shows it as 8-series only. Even if it were a common part though, it's a flaw in the design. A JY part might work for a while, but it's only a matter of time before it breaks again.

There's actually something else I'm looking into though. A guy from the BMW forum saw my post on the other forum and emailed me. Seems he's working on fabbing up a replacement pivot out of stainless to replace the lovely pot metal BMW part. His fix should cost less than $100 and last forever, so I think I'll probably end up going that route. The downside is, I may have to wait a while for it.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
Not so much me but the panel beaters started painting my car today.

I didn't think they were going to paint them considering the replacement panels are the same colour as the car but whatever.

It'll look better matched anyway.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
Washed the filth off of my car. Managed to pick up a few micro-sized chips from a road trip thanks to a truck that spattered pebbles all over the road. They managed to mostly buff out.

I plan on taking it back out to the track next month so it's going from a bone-stock '08 Mustang Bullitt to one with better brakes, dampers, and tires.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
I'm switching brake pads on the TT, so new rotors went on in preparation for VIR next week. The project was interrupted by a trip to Harbor Freight to track down an impact screwdriver for the rear passenger rotor. :(

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

FogHelmut posted:

gently caress that. I last changed supercharger oil three years ago, and I'm still trying to get the smell out of my nose.

EDIT - I haven't changed it since because I sold the car. I changed it once a year when I had the car.

GET EM SLUGGER fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 14, 2010

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001
This is what's going down with my 300ZX today, it's real nice to see the fender not stuck inside of my tire. The new OZ wheels it will be sitting on after all this body fuckery should be cool, too :v:

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Method Loser fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 14, 2010

Commodore 64
Apr 2, 2007

The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel that was orange
Spent my day cleaning. And the hood touch up looks like crap.

I should know; I did it.

Much better.

I also taught one of my friends how to change the pads on this turbo'ed 07 Si. I'm getting him a torque wrench for his birthday.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Tried to get my late-greatgrandmother's '64 Galaxie 500 LTD started so the family can sell it :-/

It's only been sitting for about a year, and the carb was rebuilt not long before then, but the throttle linkage was already frozen solid. It also wasn't getting spark. The coil was original to the car, so I replaced that, gapped the points, and finally got my little HF "spark checker" light to flash, but no amount of aerosol starting fluid could get it to fire.

I only pitched in to help because my uncles were aimlessly throwing parts at the problem with no idea what they were doing. They had a brand new starter ready to put in, even though the engine was obviously cranking.

As I was dicking with my feeler gauge on the points all I heard was, "We're really pretty sure its the starter. Let's install this new one." Ughhhhhh

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

eddiewalker posted:

Tried to get my late-greatgrandmother's '64 Galaxie 500 LTD started so the family can sell it :-/

It's only been sitting for about a year, and the carb was rebuilt not long before then, but the throttle linkage was already frozen solid. It also wasn't getting spark. The coil was original to the car, so I replaced that, gapped the points, and finally got my little HF "spark checker" light to flash, but no amount of aerosol starting fluid could get it to fire.

I only pitched in to help because my uncles were aimlessly throwing parts at the problem with no idea what they were doing. They had a brand new starter ready to put in, even though the engine was obviously cranking.

As I was dicking with my feeler gauge on the points all I heard was, "We're really pretty sure its the starter. Let's install this new one." Ughhhhhh

Post pics post pics pleeeease post pics. Man do I love me some '64 Galaxie. I really don't want to ask, but where in the world is this one that is going to be for sale? :q:

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
Not my car, but I spotted a stolen Jeep in a parking lot today and got it returned to its proper owner. :) Turns out the police blotter in the paper is good for more than just laughing at drunks.

notbrant
Jul 1, 2003
Wash/Clay/Wax my 03 TL-S, paint correction soon to follow.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Fats posted:

Not my car, but I spotted a stolen Jeep in a parking lot today and got it returned to its proper owner. :) Turns out the police blotter in the paper is good for more than just laughing at drunks.

You are a loving hero, no lie. :patriot:

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Raluek posted:

Post pics post pics pleeeease post pics. Man do I love me some '64 Galaxie. I really don't want to ask, but where in the world is this one that is going to be for sale? :q:

I should've snapped some pics while I was up there, but the car is about 20 minutes away right now. I'm in Kansas City. It was a Viriginia car my great-grandma bought new. In fact, it was the only car she ever owned. She kept it garaged, and somehow the body managed to stay rust free for 46 years, and the interior is even in great shape except for a split bench seat cover.

Right after my Grandpa inherited two years ago, some guy offered to paint it in exchange for like $5000 worth of vinyl siding and windows. Got it back with like a $300 Maaco mess. Overspray on all the windows, trim just painted over, badges left unattached. Major swindle.

Rogz
Jul 22, 2009

Mr booby head vagina man.

Black88GTA posted:

:suicide:

It's penance for driving a completely badass car.

BTW what's it made of? Couldn't you just strip it and have the bar TIG welded or something?

Rogz fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 14, 2010

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Rogz posted:

It's penance for driving a completely badass car.

BTW what's it made of? Couldn't you just strip it and have the bar TIG welded or something?

It's pot metal, you can't really (and shouldn't really, it'll just break somewhere else, like along the edge of the weld) weld to it. Getting one made out of a competent material would be worth it.

Rogz
Jul 22, 2009

Mr booby head vagina man.
Worth waiting then I guess.

fake edit: OMG affordable... BRB selling kidney for insurance premiums.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Fats posted:

Seconding the salute. Well done, you're awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Tuesday I replaced both outer tie rod ends on my wife's 2000 Honda Accord EX 4cyl mantran coupe.

Yesterday I replaced the mantran fluid in my 1992 Honda Accord DX mantran coupe.

I have also replaced six or seven light fixtures in our house in the last week, mostly for cosmetic reasons, but a couple were broken. I also hung up some pegboard and a retracting reel light/extension cord on the ceiling in the garage.