Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

hybr1d posted:

I took 3 cameras with me on my trip. Here's the summary of each one:

Nikon D80:
Good camera, but the technical limitations (noise is noticeable as low as ISO 800, crop). I ditched my battery grip and took just it and a rented 24-35 1.8. Very acceptable weight until I had to start two-handing trail obstacles, then it was a liability/risk. Overall the best camera of the trip so far for photos- getting reliable light readings in the woods with spots of heavy shade and full sun is nothing short of a crapshoot. Being able to easily bracket was a huge help, not to mention reviewing them- but the tiny LCD, dark viewfinder (typical on a 2-3 year old model??) made it a pain at times.

Bronica ETRSi:
A tank, and my biggest mistake was not bringing a shoulder strap. It was too heavy to ask my small wife or kids to carry on the hike, so I only got a few shots close to the main part of the park. It only got brought on one trip due to its size. We'll have to see how the pics turn out, because of obvious developing delays/costs for color film.

Crown Speed Graphic:
I took a total of 2 photos with this, not only because of logistics of such a camera in the park, but also because I forgot to take the changing bag with me, making the $80 of film unusable.

Logistics played heavily into this, and I'm not even bringing up trips to the museums where a smaller camera would have been far easier on the shoulder. I have considered a full-frame, but another $2500 investment into something that may work just as well for me on a 4/3rds and some older glass.

Get some Grafmatics for that Crown, my man. I've got three now, looking to load them full of cheap Arista B&W film and shoot 4x5 like it's 120 :v: I think I might get 1-2 more of those just in case, and keep some of my regular double-sided holders for the odd color shot. The Grafmatics work fine on a Graphic back too, you don't need a Graflok.

It sounds like a lot of your complaints might be addressed by a full-frame system (although a 4/3 might too), you should try renting/handling one. Personally, I've got my 5D as sort of the middle-of-the-road bread and butter type system, a film rangefinder, Olympus Pen (the film one), and a Russian half-frame as lightweight options, and the Speed Graphic as more heavy-duty. I rarely have them all with me at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

Any recommendations on where to rent a 4/3rds? I am considering using a work bonus in the fall to switch over to the 5dmk2 from the Nikon platform. But again, that $3k investment in body and lenses would go very far for the limited/specific stuff I want. If the G10 or better accepted lenses, I would already be there.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
As an industrial designer, I am simultaneously intrigued by, confused by and derisive of this student project. I really want to pick up the model and see what it feels like. (Pre-emptive lol Sony)

http://www.core77.com/blog/object_culture/ryan_david_francis_newfangled_dslr_shape_16360.asp

I have thought for a long time that the advent of digital sensors has theoretically made the traditional camera body shape obsolete. There is no need to wind film across the back any more, for instance -- all you really need is a sensor, a lens, and a place to hold the two, and since mechanical connections between the controls and the optics are no longer necessary, there are no inherently required formal relationships other than the lens being mounted a certain distance from the sensor.

And yet, the most unique designs have been the Sony F-717 and Nikon Coolpix 5000 series, both of which have a lens/sensor assembly attached to the control box on a rotating mount. Nearly all other cameras maintain the same traditional design that has been more or less unchanged for eighty years. There's a reason: it's effective. The grip we use is based on the proportions of our hands and the angles to which our fingers can comfortably bend, and the separation between the viewfinder and the handgrip is set by the length of our arms and width of our faces. But I still can't help but feel that, by experimenting, we could come up with something even better.

Thoughts?

[e] VVVV Using my degree in industrial design as justification, I am going to tell you that this looks nothing like a Zenit 412.

orange lime fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 11, 2010

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Oh look, it's a Zenit 412.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

But, there's no grip, just a part where your fingers can slide off. Also, why do all these wacky concept designs seem to forget that you hold on to the lens when taking using the camera, not the body.

Wooten fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 11, 2010

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
That's almost as ugly as a Leica R8.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

speaking of Leica

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Leica-II-D-Lu...#ht_1688wt_1167

apparently its a russian made fake. :hitler:

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
My mom and step father have a pretty nice house with typical landscaping. For some reason, in a dream I had a night ago, they had decorated their whole yard with Leica cameras and accessories as if they were garden gnomes. Everywhere you look, there was something with a Leica logo on it. I remember thinking what loving snobs they were.

I think part of the inspriation for it being Leica was that I'm a land surveyor, and have been obsessing over a Leica total station for some time now. Seriously, they make the best total stations.

But in reality, my mother and step father shoot with a D70 they leave in auto with their kit lens :smugbert:

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

i usually dream about boobs and stuff but whatevs!

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

unixbeard posted:

i usually dream about boobs and stuff but whatevs!

See how we dream about stuff we don't have.

DanTheFryingPan fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 11, 2010

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

DanTheFryingPan posted:

See how we dream about stuff we don'thave.

the painful truth

no woman no cry i guess

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
Leica makes some pretty nice cameras I guess

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Twenties Superstar posted:

Leica makes some pretty nice cameras I guess

I bought one because of the glowing review I saw in the great 2004 film "Eurotrip".

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

hybr1d posted:

Any recommendations on where to rent a 4/3rds? I am considering using a work bonus in the fall to switch over to the 5dmk2 from the Nikon platform. But again, that $3k investment in body and lenses would go very far for the limited/specific stuff I want. If the G10 or better accepted lenses, I would already be there.

This question for advice is probably better suited for the gear thread. However http://www.lensrentals.com has all kinds of 4/3rds gear. I'm sure other rental houses to do, that just happened to be the first one I looked at.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I went up a bar for a friend's birthday last night. There were $2 drinks and I managed to spend $80, and my memory gets fuzzy toward the end of the night. I woke up this morning in a different room than my pants and with my camera set to shoot jpeg small. Yeah, I got so drunk I started shooting jpeg with no raw. I got a whole bunch of nice pictures even though it was on ISO 3200 and looking through them, I was clearly mistaken for an official club promotional photographer, as I have no idea who most of the people in the pictures are but there are a bunch of pictures of me with hot chicks and about 300 of a band whose members hammed it up for the camera like crazy and I am told were giving me shout outs between songs. I also seem to have made friends with people there for a bachelorette party

Moral of the story, bring your camera to bars if you want attention.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

GWBBQ posted:

awesome story

This is how you tell someone is a photographer:

:clint: "Man, I got so drunk that I woke up in the next county, in a farmer's pen, next to an angry bull."
:smug: "I got so drunk that I woke up naked in a supermodel's bed and I can't even remember what I did to her."
:saddowns: "I got so drunk I set my camera to shoot JPEG instead of RAW"

DaJe
Feb 3, 2008

Wooten posted:

But, there's no grip, just a part where your fingers can slide off. Also, why do all these wacky concept designs seem to forget that you hold on to the lens when taking using the camera, not the body.
Whenever I let a friend hold my camera for a second and maybe try taking a picture with it to see what it's like, the first thing they do is look at the blank LCD and stare for a second, and then ask me how to turn it on. And then when I tell them they have to look through the viewfinder, they still hold the camera a foot or two away from their face while they look through it :(

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Yep, I get the same. Except I invariably have a manual-focus, manual-aperture lens attached, and it's set to burst mode, so here's what happens every. single. time:

"wow, look at that camera! I bet it takes great pictures! Can I try?"

1) Look at blank LCD for a few seconds
2) Turn over, look for power switch, toggle a few times, look up, confused
> "you need to look through the viewfinder"
3) Look through viewfinder while holding the other side of the camera body
4) Pull away, find shutter button, look back through finder
5) Wait
> "you have to kind of squeeze the button, not just tap it"
6) Take about eleven shots in a row
< "These are all blurry!"
> "well, it's manual focus, so you have to focus it yourself...you do that with this ring here on the lens, right? You just look through the viewfinder and turn the..."
< *eyes glaze over, hands camera back*

:(

DaJe
Feb 3, 2008
Yep, focusing was always another problem. They never understood what I meant by just sort of pressing it down halfway, and not clicking it. I also have a cheap lens that had a little bit of a fall a while back, and the autofocus got a little hosed up on it. Something is just loose inside or it's not properly on the track or whatever. The autofocus works well enough now, though it's still obvious that it broke a little, but for a while I just kept it on manual focus so it wouldn't give any trouble. It confused people so much that they actually had to touch the lens to do anything. They always wanted a zoom button to press or something :(. It also didn't help that the lens I had set to manual was the Nikon kit lens, so the whole front element of the lens actually rotated.

I really don't want to sound like some sort of camera snob or anything, like I'm superior for having a slightly better than average camera than most casual people out there. But a lot of this stuff just really isn't hard to understand. When I first got a DSLR I seemed to pick it up with no problem and easily find out how it works. People just seem to be so mystified sometimes I guess by a camera that actually had a detachable lens on it.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

DaJe posted:

I really don't want to sound like some sort of camera snob or anything, like I'm superior for having a slightly better than average camera than most casual people out there. But a lot of this stuff just really isn't hard to understand. When I first got a DSLR I seemed to pick it up with no problem and easily find out how it works. People just seem to be so mystified sometimes I guess by a camera that actually had a detachable lens on it.

I got basically this reaction today from a photography club toting DSLRs I ran into when I was shooting with my 4x5 press camera :smugdog:

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I got basically this reaction today from a photography club toting DSLRs I ran into when I was shooting with my 4x5 press camera :smugdog:

Hah, I've gotten that reaction from photographers when shooting with my little Voigtlander folder or my Argus C3. They understand the concept of winding film after each shot, but the idea of an uncoupled rangefinder, or a shutter-cocking lever, or separate rangefinders and viewfinders, just blows them away.

I really think that everyone should learn to shoot on a camera with nothing more advanced than a meter. At least then you certainly wouldn't have people like that infamous "wedding photographer" who didn't know what an f-stop was.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Turning on the back focus button on an EOS DSLR pretty much eliminates any possibility of a non-photographer using it with any effectiveness.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

HPL posted:

Turning on the back focus button on an EOS DSLR pretty much eliminates any possibility of a non-photographer using it with any effectiveness.

...well, to be fair, any one that doesn't have live view that is.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

HPL posted:

my ladyfriend and my ex both can use the back focus button effectively :colbert:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

So the CS5 announcement is in an hour, is there a thread anywhere for that? I only found threads about Content Aware Fill specifically.

I need to grab it while I still have a student discount. I just hope LR3 comes out while I'm still in school.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

Kazy posted:

So the CS5 announcement is in an hour, is there a thread anywhere for that? I only found threads about Content Aware Fill specifically.

I need to grab it while I still have a student discount. I just hope LR3 comes out while I'm still in school.

I don't think there is a thread.

Im just waiting for that online launch to start now, should be good.

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

No mention on LR3 on the website aside from the existing beta stuff.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

There all far to happy in that launch, annoying.

Content aware fill still what there plugging most.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

fronkpies posted:

There all far to happy in that launch, annoying.

Content aware fill still what there plugging most.
They're. Contraction of they + are. They're.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

pwn posted:

Alright, how did GBS leak in here?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

torgeaux posted:

Alright, how did GBS leak in here?
I can ignore once but twice in one post brings on the spelling nazi. :argh:

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

pwn posted:

I can ignore once but twice in one post brings on the spelling nazi. :argh:

Three, actually -- he used the wrong "to". And neither sentence is syntactically correct.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

orange lime posted:

Three, actually -- he used the wrong "to". And neither sentence is syntactically correct.

pwn posted:

Please forgive me, I have brought shame upon myself and my family.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

fronkpies posted:

Don't empower them. Just make the corrections, say a silent mea culpa and move on.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

fronkpies posted:

Don't let their prestrictive grammar get to you.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

orange lime posted:

Yep, I get the same. Except I invariably have a manual-focus, manual-aperture lens attached, and it's set to burst mode, so here's what happens every. single. time:

"wow, look at that camera! I bet it takes great pictures! Can I try?"

1) Look at blank LCD for a few seconds
2) Turn over, look for power switch, toggle a few times, look up, confused
> "you need to look through the viewfinder"
3) Look through viewfinder while holding the other side of the camera body
4) Pull away, find shutter button, look back through finder
5) Wait
> "you have to kind of squeeze the button, not just tap it"
6) Take about eleven shots in a row
< "These are all blurry!"
> "well, it's manual focus, so you have to focus it yourself...you do that with this ring here on the lens, right? You just look through the viewfinder and turn the..."
< *eyes glaze over, hands camera back*

:(

Yeah it actually really bothers me how people won't take thirty seconds to learn how to use my camera after they ask to see it. There are seriously like four things that you have to think about :argh:.

Watching them look for a little zoom toggle in front of the shutter like on a P&S is always funny though.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I don't get this. Why hand the camera over if you know they can't use it?
poo poo I let people use my F3 all the time; I just get a ballpark aperture on it and tell them what the focus ring is for.
Same with digital, how much trouble is it to stick it on Program + Single and tell them to focus with the center point?

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

evil_bunnY posted:

I don't get this. Why hand the camera over if you know they can't use it?
Same with digital, how much trouble is it to stick it on Program + Single and tell them to focus with the center point?

Well, I'm not just going to say "no, you wouldn't know how to use it" and keep it. These people are my friends, not just random folks on the street (who certainly aren't touching my camera).

Like I said, my camera always has a manual-focus lens attached -- I don't even own any AF lenses. If the person lets me take a minute to set it up, I'll set it on single shot mode/Av/evaluative metering/AWB and f/4 or so, meaning that all they have to do is compose, focus and shoot. People still have trouble with the "look through the viewfinder, not at the screen" and "YOU have to put the image in focus" stuff. I think that if all you've ever used is a point-and-shoot, the idea of a camera that you need two hands to operate is just totally foreign. Even manual-focus seems hard to grasp; I was recently shooting at an event and the videographer said his arms needed a break, so I held the big XL1 for a few minutes and he shot some stuff with my 5D2. What did I get back? Two dozen shots that were focused several feet in front of or behind the subject. When I got my camera back, he'd set the lens to "auto" (automatic aperture, a switch that doesn't do anything when the lens is adapted), so he understood the concept -- but I don't see how you couldn't tell that the image in the finder was blurry as poo poo and not getting any better on its own.

I like to watch people in Best Buy or Fry's playing with the DSLRs, because you can quickly see who's experienced and who's a newbie. The newbies will use their left hand to hold the left edge of the camera body. The intermediate kind of people (people who I would guess have mostly shot with an entry-level auto SLR and a kit lens) will hold the lens with their left hand, but usually overhand -- their thumb underneath. The more serious photographers -- the old fogies who manual-focus, and people used to big heavy lenses -- hold the lens underhand, with their thumb to the left and the body supported on their palm.

orange lime fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 12, 2010

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Even more amusing is when you're using a flash bracket and people suddenly assume you're shooting photos with some sort of secret alien photography technology.

:aaaaa::aaaaa:

That and they always tell me my camera is sooooo heavy. Its three pounds with the bracket, flash, and largest heaviest lens I have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

had a SUPER
BIG
loving
ANNOYING
facebook thing with a douche friend of mine, concerning this exact thing. I really only consider him a friend because he's another photographer, and they're rare around here.

Click this if you want to read the entire thing, I'm Kevin and he's Matthew (matteo).

He has his middle name set to "fixie" because he loves Fixed Gears so much. Yeah, he's "that" guy.