Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

ari.gato posted:

This can be applied to so many things. :smuggo:

it's okay baby I'll be gentle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Armacham posted:

just the tip, it's all I need

Z3n fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 1, 2010

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Armacham posted:

...at first

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote

Z3n posted:

What kind of tire changing machine?
Uh... A blue one? It's a DIY shop targeted at car owners, so it'll likely be something relevant for that market. Are motorcycle rims different? I'd like to change the tires on my car, so I'd still like to know if it's something I should be able to do :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Mathturbator posted:

Uh... A blue one? It's a DIY shop targeted at car owners, so it'll likely be something relevant for that market. Are motorcycle rims different? I'd like to change the tires on my car, so I'd still like to know if it's something I should be able to do :)

If it's a setup for cars, it's gonna be different from what you want for bikes.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Hey, so I spoke to Tim at Two Brother's Tire, and he said the best I would be able to do with the rim sizes on the Wee is a Continental Road Attack. What's the consensus on them?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tsaven Nava posted:

Hey, so I spoke to Tim at Two Brother's Tire, and he said the best I would be able to do with the rim sizes on the Wee is a Continental Road Attack. What's the consensus on them?

http://www.canyonchasers.net/reviews/tires/road-attack.php

My friend dave over at canyonchasers did a big write up on them. I was not a fan of the tires, he was a huge fan. But they're still good tires, I just didn't like their feedback, I felt they slid very early, and that dry grip was never great, despite running very high pressures as recommended. Just my experience though.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tsaven Nava posted:

I'm doing my first track day at the end of April, and currently my 2004 Suzuki V-Strom 650 is wearing pretty hard touring tires (Metzler Tourance, I believe).

I just threw on a pair of tourances. Haven't had them out in anger yet but I'm expecting them to be a little more sticky than the stock deathwings.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Oh great tire whisperer, does this wear look about right? Can you tell anything about tire pressures or suspension setup from it? (crosspost from the trackday thread)

Left side of rear:

Right side of rear:

Right side front:

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
Websites list a tire as "Front" or "rear" is there any difference?

E: Also, any opinions on Bridgestone battleaxes? They look like the way I'm going to go, unless there's something particularly horrid about them.

Methusulah fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 11, 2010

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Rear tires have different tread patterns and have more tread because they're doing all of the work, or basically pushing the bike. In the same manner, front tires essentially pull the bike. Profile will be different too -- front tires generally have more of a V shape than rears. You could run a rear on the front if you really wanted to, just flip the tire and run it opposite the direction of rotation.

Which battlaxes were you looking at?

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

-Inu- posted:

Rear tires have different tread patterns and have more tread because they're doing all of the work, or basically pushing the bike. In the same manner, front tires essentially pull the bike. Profile will be different too -- front tires generally have more of a V shape than rears. You could run a rear on the front if you really wanted to, just flip the tire and run it opposite the direction of rotation.

Which battlaxes were you looking at?

I'm lookin at the BT-45h for the rear, and the BT-45V for the front, as that's what I've found in my price range and tubeless.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

You have a 250 right? I personally hated my BT-45's, but a lot of people really like them. They have excellent wet grip and last for-freaking-ever, and they are dual compound so there is a stickier compound on the sides.. You can check out my post in the 250 thread but I'm running BT-090's now and I'm in love with them. If you're gonna be doing a lot of twisty riding and won't be riding in the rain much I would highly recommend the 090's. If you're mostly commuting with the occasional weekend ride up in the mountains you'll probably like the 45's. 090's are much more of a performance oriented tire, I'd call them a BT-016 but for smaller bikes. You'll see about 4000 miles (that's what I'm estimating anyways, I only have a grand on them so far) out of the 090's and probably 10,000 out of the 45's.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

-Inu- posted:

You have a 250 right? I personally hated my BT-45's, but a lot of people really like them. They have excellent wet grip and last for-freaking-ever, and they are dual compound so there is a stickier compound on the sides.. You can check out my post in the 250 thread but I'm running BT-090's now and I'm in love with them. If you're gonna be doing a lot of twisty riding and won't be riding in the rain much I would highly recommend the 090's. If you're mostly commuting with the occasional weekend ride up in the mountains you'll probably like the 45's. 090's are much more of a performance oriented tire, I'd call them a BT-016 but for smaller bikes. You'll see about 4000 miles (that's what I'm estimating anyways, I only have a grand on them so far) out of the 090's and probably 10,000 out of the 45's.

No, '83 Yammy XJ 550. My project thread is usually on the second page somewhere. We only have a couple twisty roads around here, and mountains? What the hell are those? I'm definitely looking for something that will last a while. I don't know how many miles I'll be putting on the bike this year, but since I'm pretty close to actually having a good length of riding season, it should be many thousands.

I used to have a 250, and I had Pirelli sport demons, and I really don't know enough to tell how good they were. I liked 'em plenty, and going up to the 90 profile made it turn in more easily. Hopefully I'll get more miles out of the XJ that I did my li'l ninja.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

needknees posted:

Oh great tire whisperer, does this wear look about right? Can you tell anything about tire pressures or suspension setup from it? (crosspost from the trackday thread)

Left side of rear:

Right side of rear:

Right side front:

Looks good to me. You've got some really minor rebound issues, but nothing that I'd bother adjusting on without a suspension guy there directing it. Your pace probably isn't pushing the tires hard enough to really start tearing up the tires if the settings are wrong. :)

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Saturday Tsaven Nova, Skreemer, and I went to a tire changing party. It's amazing how fast tires go on with proper tools.

I'll let Skreemer and tsaven speak for their own tires, but I went ahead and put a set of Avon Roadriders on my 1982 GS650E.

This is the third kind of tire I've tried on an old GS. (Well third kind of new tire, I've had old sets..) Usually new tires make a bike feel tippy. Strangely enough this had the opposite effect. The bike did not want to turn in, and is a little bit vague on center. That said, once turned in, the bike sticks like glue.

Now that the tires have 50 miles on them or so, they're not quite as vague on center. And cross over from left to right without the hickup crossing center.

I would definitely recommend these, they're pointy carcass tires, so have lots of grip mid corner.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I'm dumping the ancient Cheng Shins on the Twinstar for a pair of Kenda Challengers. Obviously, ultimate handling is not a priority, but safety is. With that in mind, what's the recommended rim width for a 120-section tire? It originally had a 3.50 rear, but later versions of (essentially) the same bike were fitted with 4.60s. I'm not sure if they use a wider rim.

Correction: CM250 Custom--110/90-16, CB250 Nighthawk--120/90-16

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Apr 14, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bucephalus posted:

I'm dumping the ancient Cheng Shins on the Twinstar for a pair of Kenda Challengers. Obviously, ultimate handling is not a priority, but safety is. With that in mind, what's the recommended rim width for a 120-section tire? It originally had a 3.50 rear, but later versions of (essentially) the same bike were fitted with 4.60s. I'm not sure if they use a wider rim.

Correction: CM250 Custom--110/90-16, CB250 Nighthawk--120/90-16

Stock is fine, up one size (110/90 to 120/90) is also typically fine.

Check out this:
http://www.steelthundercc.com/tiresizes.html

Scroll down to motorcycle street tire chart, and you can see their estimations for tire sizes, which seem to be about right.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Awesome link, thank you! :)

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
I'm starting to look about for tires for the SR250. Front is listed as 3.00-18, and rear as 120/90-16.

If I'm looking at that chart correctly, I could get a 90/90-18 and a 120/90-16, yes?

Any suggestions on tires in that size?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
word to the wise. Don't leave 75psi in your tires after you mount them... it makes the handling feel weird.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Anyone used one of these tire changers? Seems like a nice price and it looks relatively compact.
http://pitposse.com/popotichbebr.html

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

-Inu- posted:

Which BT-090s did you get and from where? All I'm finding are the ones for the WR250X and they are tube type tires. The tubeless ones are no longer sold in the US according to Bridgestone.
Some people over on ninja250.org are saying that you can run the tube type without the tube just fine, however.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Jabs posted:

I'm starting to look about for tires for the SR250. Front is listed as 3.00-18, and rear as 120/90-16.

If I'm looking at that chart correctly, I could get a 90/90-18 and a 120/90-16, yes?

Sounds right.

Jabs posted:

Any suggestions on tires in that size?

As stated above, I'm going with Kenda K657 Challengers*, because I'm a cheap bastard (~$90 for the pair). I've heard good things about Avon AM26 Roadriders.

*Front is a 100/90-18. Close enough on a 200cc standard.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

frozenphil posted:

Which BT-090s did you get and from where? All I'm finding are the ones for the WR250X and they are tube type tires. The tubeless ones are no longer sold in the US according to Bridgestone.
Some people over on ninja250.org are saying that you can run the tube type without the tube just fine, however.
They're tube type since they're OEM for the KTM 690 and WR250X but you'll be fine running them without a tube. I checked with my buddy who went to MMI before I put them on and he confirmed it wouldn't cause any problems.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

So I just recently got a DRZ that came with some pretty beat up Distanzias.

Do I
a) next paycheck, order some tires online and throw em on when I get a chance
b) order that poo poo now and put them on ASAP
c) don't drive that poo poo until it has new tires

Rear:

Click here for the full 800x598 image.

Right down to the wear bars:

Front:

Still some depth left...

...but the tread is wearing all weird (cupping?)

Man_of_Teflon fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 20, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

My vote is order and put on asap. I've ridden on worse, although it's not a good idea.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

-Inu- posted:

They're tube type since they're OEM for the KTM 690
nuh uh! The OEM tire for the KTM 690 is a Dragon Supercorsa.

Man_of_Teflon, I recommend a you practice burnouts and skids.

If you replace them with another set of Distanzias be aware that the rear comes in two compounds, get a 150/60 if you want the sticky one, or a 140 if you want the long lasting one.

Zool fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 20, 2010

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Zool posted:

\/\/\/ -- both our bikes came off the shelf with Pirelli's
http://hellforleathermagazine.com/galleries/usaktm/ktm-690-smc.php

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Apr 20, 2010

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Zool posted:

shrug!

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

-Inu- posted:

shrug!

Yeah, Bridestone sells 2 types of BT-090 and according to Bridgestone they no longer sell the tubeless version in America in the 140/70-17 size.

Here's the relevant reply in the thread about these tires on ninja250.org.

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 20, 2010

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Zool posted:

Man_of_Teflon, I recommend a you practice burnouts and skids.

If you replace them with another set of Distanzias be aware that the rear comes in two compounds, get a 150/60 if you want the sticky one, or a 140 if you want the long lasting one.

The SM comes with the BTs the SMC comes with the pirellis.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

ordered the new tires today, turns out motorcycle-superstore.com's matching policy really just depends on the guy you talk to when you call. first guy said they couldn't go as low as the site I was trying to match (indysuperbikes.com), but the second guy said it was no problem. ended up with a pair of pilot powers for $177.90 with free shipping!

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
Anyone have any experience with the Bridgestone Spitfire S11s?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Shinko 244 Front tire for a KLR650, has about 6000 miles on it.Should I replace this tire? It is hella cupped. Point of Interest: A replacement of the same kind only costs about $25

Please do not make fun of the nubs still on the side lugs,KLRs do not lean over that far

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!

Armacham posted:

Shinko 244 Front tire for a KLR650, has about 6000 miles on it.Should I replace this tire? It is hella cupped. Point of Interest: A replacement of the same kind only costs about $25

Please do not make fun of the nubs still on the side lugs,KLRs do not lean over that far
The front tire on my klr always gets chopped and cupped like that too, even though it does not seem to wear all that much. I would go with a new one. I don't know what your budget is but I really like Continental TCK80s.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

i might try a different type after my rear wears out, which I just put on a few hundred miles ago. I ride more street than dirt though, so I will probably stay away from the tkcs.

I'm guessing the wear pattern comes from a little 90/90-21 tire trying to stop a 400lb bike all by its lonesome

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

That's some interesting wear. I tend to go by the "does it feel like poo poo?" indicator. If you don't like how it feels, if the wear concerns you, and considering you ride mostly street, I'd say replace it with something more street oriented.

Medicinal Penguin
May 19, 2006
Just a warning, if you put a street oriented tire on the front of a KLR and do any significant offroading, it will handle like dogshit. Trust me on this one. 400 lbs + a skinny street oriented tire = massive understeer/washing out on turns. I've done this and it's not pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanky
Jan 22, 2002

Anyone have any experience with the Michelin Power Pures? Thinking of trying them on my R6.

• Locked thread