Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Chris Onstad posted:

Sondra. That's Ray's mom. Cassandra is Roast Beef.

YOU JUST GOT FACTPUNCHED IN THE THROAT OF YOUR BRAIN!

And YOU had to be the one to do it. The creator of the comic just yanked my pants down in front of everyone. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
How humiliating is that.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

How much merchandise am I gonna have to buy to save face here? Like, how many t shirts are we talking?

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

CannonFodder posted:

He's also had a birthday where he turned 5, and a birthday where he turned five.

And I don't feel like looking them up but dammit he's five and that's it.
I know, but the phrase "Philippe. He is Five." comes from the strip I linked. The one that says "Philippe. He is Five." in it.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

robot roll call posted:

How much merchandise am I gonna have to buy to save face here? Like, how many t shirts are we talking?
We lookin' at a six hundo.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Shmoses posted:

We lookin' at a six hundo.

Six hundred dollars is class money

ProfZoom
Mar 22, 2005

This is our last dance!

There needs to be an animated avatar of Todd doing cocaine at Ray.

Chris Onstad
Mar 31, 2007

robot roll call posted:

You might be looking at commissioned art, pal. You're not getting off easy, here.

the Professor
Nov 28, 2002

pi pi

Chris Onstad posted:

You might be looking at commissioned art, pal. You're not getting off easy, here.

:O I didn't even know you did that!!

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.
http://www.achewood.com/gallery.php !

Speaking of, I'm going to have to buy another poster one of these days. After I moved out of the dorm my GOF and Achewood stickers went missing.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Chris Onstad posted:

Can I pick the subject or is this more of a "commissioned" art kind of deal?

(wish I had the one in my avatar, by the way)

Chris Onstad
Mar 31, 2007

robot roll call posted:

Can I pick the subject or is this more of a "commissioned" art kind of deal?

Art patrons get whatever they ask for, within reason. I will not draw Pat with more than one turgid dong coming off of his body, for example.

By the way, I was merely joking. But yeah, I do commissions, and happily so, my friendly fellow goon buddies.

/C

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

What'll you draw me for a Canadian quarter? Vintage 1986...

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
In between some things over the last year or so, I had neglected to keep up on my Achewood. I paid penance over the weekend for this most egregious of misdeeds by drinking too much crappy beer (Miller Lite) and correcting my previous laxity in regards to the comic. I further paid into my good karma credit account tonight, by catching up with this here thread.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

:siren: New strip! :siren:

Oh... Oh no. :ohdear:

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
Ah ha! So he finds it boring compared to his life in Achewood. He'll go back and Teodor will make him his porkchops right.

EDIT: and as a consequence for leaving his mother, he will age to 7.

Irish Taxi Driver fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Apr 13, 2010

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.
I'm sure if she's having trouble getting to church, Fr. Nathan can have some of the parishioners pick her up on the way.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

This is the first time that Phillipe being perpetually 5 has creeped me out.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh God no this isn't right nooooo :ohdear:

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months
We thought Phillipe always being 5 was a happy safety net but now we see where this may cause problems.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams
I'm starting to wonder how long it's been since Phillipe was accidentally sent to Achewood. Was his mother that much younger when he last saw her, or is he just recalling the best memories from further years ago?

Also, the multiple pictures of "Phillipe: Age 5" are pretty creepy. There is a disturbing amount of complexity behind Phillipe being 5.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Ah ha! So he finds it boring compared to his life in Achewood. He'll go back and Teodor will make him his porkchops right.

I don't think that's right. It's not the lack of technical expertise that has Philippe upset (as in the case of the Mickey Pancakes). It's that he was expecting Mom's Porkchops, and that what is sitting right in front of him isn't matching up to his memory.

It's what Steve DeNeuve was getting at with his story of his dad's hamburger. Nothing, no level of culinary expertise, can reliably recapture what made that dish special. It's not that it can't ever happen (Think the climax of Ratatouille), but too often its our memory and not the food itself that can't be replicated.

If you'll indulge me, an anecdote. When I was a kid, I made Christmas Sugar Cookies with my grandmother every year. She'd prepare the dough the night before, and we'd spend the afternoon together some cold day in December making the icing (basic icing made with powdered sugar and food coloring), and stamping the dough with her set of tin cookie cutters. We'd decorate them together, bake them, and share them with the rest of the family. That was special because I was five and it was something we did together. Then I was six, and seven, and a few years later I was too old to sleep over at Grandma's house making Christmas cookies.

But she'd still make them, and I'm happy to say that decades later she's still with us and still baking. The icing lines on the candy canes aren't as straight as they used to be, but they are there every Christmas as sure as Santa and mom's crèche with the one-armed baby Jesus. I got some of those cookies in the mail this year, and seriously considered the prospect of preserving one or two. I don't know if she'll be able to make them again next year. But I didn't. Cookies are meant to be eaten, after all. But once she goes, those cookies will go with her. The recipe is simple, and I have no doubt that anyone with the most basic kitchen experience could duplicate them down to the cookie molecule. But it wouldn't be the same.

Philippe is learning a lesson all us old men learn in time. You can't go back. Even if you're forever five.

And THAT is the Saddest Thing.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

EndOfTheWorld posted:

Beautiful.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

EndOfTheWorld posted:

I... uh. Jeez.

the Professor
Nov 28, 2002

pi pi

EDIT: and as a consequence for leaving his mother, he will age to 7.

No, no, NO, this can never happen, NO. :ohdear:

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

EndOfTheWorld posted:

My grandmother made dishtowels for all the women in her family for Christmas; no mean feat, four daughters, three daughters-in-law, ten+ granddaughters, several great-grands.

Last year she came to the party and said she just forgot how to do it.

gently caress this loving comic for making me feel Feelings. gently caress you for making me realize why.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

the Professor posted:

No, no, NO, this can never happen, NO. :ohdear:

Yes! He'll be less innocent and start to notice that women have things growing on their chests!

robot touch
Mar 20, 2002

like love over the radio

Yes! He'll be less innocent and start to notice that women have things growing on their chests!

Pretty sure Philippe is already educated in what goes on under a Lady's clothes. I mean, that was 8 years ago, back when he was 5.

EndOfTheWorld posted:

:smithicide:

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

robot touch posted:

Pretty sure Philippe is already educated in what goes on under a Lady's clothes. I mean, that was 8 years ago, back when he was 5.

Yeah, but as you mentioned, he was 5. Do you remember much from when you were 5?

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Speaking of Philippe and women, let's discuss just what happened in this strip.

(Later on, when Vlad finds Philippe's phone in his pants, is that the first appearance of his mom?)

EDIT: gently caress! Roboooooooooot!! :argh:

But I used waffleimages and everything :colbert:

Another Edit: on the 'Will you marry me, Frances?' strip, I hadn't noticed how Philippe imagines himself chubbier after some years of married life. That's neat. Did you notice how some TP was added to his hand in the 'Wipe my rear end' panel? Genius all around.

Zefiel fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 13, 2010

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Otters are odd. Thats how I handle it.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

You guys are really running with the "Philippe is 5" thing. It was a great joke in that strip, but he's not a drat Highlander. It's not like everyone else in the strip ages noticeably around him.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

robot roll call posted:

he's not a drat Highlander.

What if he IS, man?! There can be only one (and he is five)! Maybe that's the arithmetic Steve DeNeuve has to do!

I love when Achewood gets all dark and poo poo. The gag a day strips are great, as are the storylines where so-and-so has a crazy business idea, but the strip is never better when they pack up and go somewhere. The Transfer Station, C.H., Seeing America in the Galaxie, Fights of an Outdoor Nature, Heaven and Hell.

I'm making my (future) kids read this. There will be a quiz. Multiple Choice, True/False AND Essay Questions. Pat is a dick, explain why.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
oh god this is exactly what seeing your parents grow old is like

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

h_double posted:

oh god this is exactly what seeing your parents grow old is like

My parents are in their 60's and it breaks my heart every time I see my Mom use a cane.

But even then I can't tell if it's "Philipe's Mom is getting old" or "Philipe has learned an important lesson about going home".

Custodes
Jan 3, 2003

robot roll call posted:

You guys are really running with the "Philippe is 5" thing. It was a great joke in that strip, but he's not a drat Highlander. It's not like everyone else in the strip ages noticeably around him.

I'm pretty sure that this strip implies that Phillipe literally will not age along with everyone else. And he does seem to be the only one who is free from death if only because he never loses his innocence.

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

one millionth of one millionth of a second

Custodes posted:

I'm pretty sure that this strip implies that Phillipe literally will not age along with everyone else. And he does seem to be the only one who is free from death if only because he never loses his innocence.

I dunno, I think he's starting to realize you can't go home again. Once he does, some degree of innocence is lost, right? I think it would be cool to see him grow up a bit, but that's just me. I think he can still be cute as 8, just not quite so naive. (Although, personally I always thought part of the joke was that Phillipe is naive even for a 5-year-old.)

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Custodes posted:

Right, and I'm saying people are taking that strip literally when it's just supposed to be a joke.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

robot roll call posted:

Right, and I'm saying people are taking that strip literally when it's just supposed to be a joke.

Dude. Page 9.

Chris Onstad posted:

Philippe is five, people. Why must you doubt reality?

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Philippe is five just as Calvin is six and Bart is ten. This is never brought up as any kind of serious issue, at most you get a self-aware joke about it. Bill Watterson never said "Hmm yes, let's have a story arc exploring the deep philosophical ramifications of a boy who has been six for almost a decade."

It's a joke, people.