Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

Combat boots should NOT be shiny. They should be blackened, with a decent sheen to them. We are issued parade boots for a reason, and whoever gave poo poo on that is a loving pogue.

I was never even issued parade boots, I've had nothing but combat boots for 3 years now.

My Spirit Otter posted:

Who said anything about combat boots? However our boots have to be somewhat shiny. We can't show up to regiment with boots just slathered in polish. They have to be brush shined but thats it.

Yeah and the parade-gloss stuff is fine for that. You wont get mirrors but you dont have to have mirror boots, especially at your unit, you get weird staff on course sometimes though.

Protip: For buffing up your boots quickly instead of carrying around a brush, just get a bit of nylon stocking, it works great while not taking up any space and weighs nothing.

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 12, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Anyone here a Comms Rsch or know anyone who is? From what I understand it's in reality SIGINT, but under the comms branch. Anyways, whats the trade like, the life, etc., Im curious and possibly interested in trying someone like it out after i finish my degree (or maybe regforce Int)

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Mr.48 posted:

I was never even issued parade boots, I've had nothing but combat boots for 3 years now.

Yeah and the parade-gloss stuff is fine for that. You wont get mirrors but you dont have to have mirror boots, especially at your unit, you get weird staff on course sometimes though.

Protip: For buffing up your boots quickly instead of carrying around a brush, just get a bit of nylon stocking, it works great while not taking up any space and weighs nothing.

Parade gloss is straight up poo poo. If you put 10-15 brush shines and then spitshine you will have amazing boots, especially if you put a clear coat on them, which is the secret

swagger like us posted:

Anyone here a Comms Rsch or know anyone who is? From what I understand it's in reality SIGINT, but under the comms branch. Anyways, whats the trade like, the life, etc., Im curious and possibly interested in trying someone like it out after i finish my degree (or maybe regforce Int)

I have a buddy from basic that is going comms research. I'll try and get as much info as I can. However he is NCM, is this an issue, because you say you want to finish a degree, almost implying officer

My Spirit Otter fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 12, 2010

aarp
Dec 22, 2004

#2 Hot Dog Club Member

swagger like us posted:

PM me your email and I'll answer what I can.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

My Spirit Otter posted:

Parade gloss is straight up poo poo. If you put 10-15 brush shines and then spitshine you will have amazing boots, especially if you put a clear coat on them, which is the secret

I guess you're one of those guys that enjoy working on his boots. The rest of us have better poo poo to do.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Mr.48 posted:

I guess you're one of those guys that enjoy working on his boots. The rest of us have better poo poo to do.

During battle school we were made aware that we literally had nothing better to do than to turn our parade boots into glass. We're still expected to be highly turned out when we're wearing our DEUs and we do get inspected. It's not the end of the world if someone wants to save themselves the trouble.

Obviously if I had it my way none of this poo poo would matter at all but even in the reg force infantry we don't have better poo poo to do lots of the time.

edit: for the record I burnshine my boots 10 minutes before a parade or whatever and then throw them back in my closet when I'm done.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

acumen posted:

During battle school we were made aware that we literally had nothing better to do than to turn our parade boots into glass. We're still expected to be highly turned out when we're wearing our DEUs and we do get inspected. It's not the end of the world if someone wants to save themselves the trouble.

Obviously if I had it my way none of this poo poo would matter at all but even in the reg force infantry we don't have better poo poo to do lots of the time.

edit: for the record I burnshine my boots 10 minutes before a parade or whatever and then throw them back in my closet when I'm done.

Honestly? I mean I'm in a Guards regiment and we are only rarely required to turn out in DEU's. And most of those times enough of us show up in combats anyways that the Sergeant Major just sighs and ignores it. In fact, I don't think I've put up my DEU's once since they were issued. Blues? I think less than 10% of our regiment have ever worn them.

The only inspections our regiment is anal about is vehicles and weapons, to the point where everything we have is clean except for the actual soldiers who usually look like dirt-monkeys. I guess it's an armor thing :shobon:

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
My regiment is anal about everything.

It's surprising about the DEUs though. Between Christmas Dinner, Remembrance Day, repatriation ceremonies, and other random occurrences (like this year's Paardeburg Ball) we wear ours often enough.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

acumen posted:

During battle school we were made aware that we literally had nothing better to do than to turn our parade boots into glass.

From 19:00 till 20:00 you will be shining your left parade boot. From 20:00 till 21:00 you will be shining your right parade boot.... gently caress.... I remember on PAT a Mcpl carved his initials into someones boots with his finger nail. That same Mcpl boot hosed my drawer and then threw my dress shits into a fan.

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 13, 2010

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Mr.48 posted:

Haha not in the least, I loving hate it. But on sq I picked up a couple tricks that make them look decent with minimal effort.

CanadianSuperKing
Dec 29, 2008
Found out this week that I'm going to health services BMOQ this summer, June 21 - August 6. Anyone been through the HS BMOQ? It's shorter for our shortened summers (we do two blocks of 7 weeks), anyone have any tips on what to expect for it, and how the schedule/training compares to BMQ?

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

aarp posted:

PM me your email and I'll answer what I can.

poo poo, dont have pm. Could you throw me an email at my throwaway email?, apparatchik at hotmail, and Ill reply to you at my real one.

aarp
Dec 22, 2004

#2 Hot Dog Club Member

swagger like us posted:

poo poo, dont have pm. Could you throw me an email at my throwaway email?, apparatchik at hotmail, and Ill reply to you at my real one.

email sent

herman391
Aug 25, 2009
NECKBEARDS EVERYWHERE HULK SMASH CONTROLLER GAEM TOO HARD
Is anybody here an ACS Tech or know anybody who is one? I'm about to finish my 2 year program at Centennial College and I'm thinking of joining up. The program focus's mainly on the AVN side of things but we do have some training with structures.

From what I gather if I were to join up I'd go through BMQ and then get sent to Borden for more training as an ACS and then I'd get posted somewhere to do my on the job type training. Am I off the mark here? Is there any truth that once you graduate BMQ and having already finished the 2 year civilian program that your then promoted to Corporal?

Also what's life like once your past BMQ? My mental picture is something stereotypical like you see in movies. What's on base housing like? I obviously have no idea what any of this is really like, so any help you guys can give would be awesome.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Ah, Borden. Food is pretty good, as it's the home of CFSAL (Canadian Forces School of Administration and Logistics), AKA REMF/Pogue central. Pleasantly warm in summer, balls-cold in winter. Pretty close to Barrie and cottage country, so nice places to go on weekends.

There's plenty worse places than Borden to end up.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

herman391 posted:

Is anybody here an ACS Tech or know anybody who is one? I'm about to finish my 2 year program at Centennial College and I'm thinking of joining up. The program focus's mainly on the AVN side of things but we do have some training with structures.

From what I gather if I were to join up I'd go through BMQ and then get sent to Borden for more training as an ACS and then I'd get posted somewhere to do my on the job type training. Am I off the mark here? Is there any truth that once you graduate BMQ and having already finished the 2 year civilian program that your then promoted to Corporal?

Also what's life like once your past BMQ? My mental picture is something stereotypical like you see in movies. What's on base housing like? I obviously have no idea what any of this is really like, so any help you guys can give would be awesome.

I had 2 people in basic that were did the 2 year program for civilian AVN's. After basic they took a shortened version of the AVN training they got their Cpl's. After basic/QL3( job training) its just a 7-3 job. ( If that, some of my Air Force friends work like 2 hours a day and go home)

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Borden is alright but theres poison ivy all over the loving place.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Mr.48 posted:

Borden is alright but theres poison ivy all over the loving place.

What are you doing WALKING ON THE GRASS YOU DON'T WALK ON THE GRASS THERE ARE SIDEWALKS FOR A REASON

...Sorry. Was channeling the base Sergeant Major for a second there.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

I think the real reason the CF exists is to protect the most precious grass on military bases. Bit of a catch 22, but god drat IT STAY OFF THE GRASS

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Junior ranks exist to walk on the grass.

Senior NCOs exist to scream at said junior ranks for walking on the grass.

Officers give no gently caress.

durzoblint
May 17, 2009
Nice to see some CF here, combat engineer in petawawa..leaving this week if that drat ash cloud isn't kicking around.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

What are you doing WALKING ON THE GRASS YOU DON'T WALK ON THE GRASS THERE ARE SIDEWALKS FOR A REASON

...Sorry. Was channeling the base Sergeant Major for a second there.

Thats not your grass, thats the Queen's grass!

WHO THE gently caress ARE YOU TO BE STEPPING ON THE QUEEN'S GRASS??!?!?!

I actually pulled that one once on a couple of private recruits, they were about to poo poo themselves until I started cracking up and laughing at their reactions.

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
Just finished the Vimy exercise for BMOQ

I can count the number of days left on one hand!!!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Mr.48 posted:

Thats not your grass, thats the Queen's grass!

WHO THE gently caress ARE YOU TO BE STEPPING ON THE QUEEN'S GRASS??!?!?!

I actually pulled that one once on a couple of private recruits, they were about to poo poo themselves until I started cracking up and laughing at their reactions.

Who the gently caress am I? The same one that doesn't have to salute the Queen when entering the mess, that's who. :smug:

Note: Arty doesn't have to do this because we're the Queen's preferred ground-force. True story.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

MA-Horus posted:

Who the gently caress am I? The same one that doesn't have to salute the Queen when entering the mess, that's who. :smug:

Note: Arty doesn't have to do this because we're the Queen's preferred ground-force. True story.

Even during BMQ I've never even heard of this. Sounds like some crazy reservist rule to me

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

My Spirit Otter posted:

Even during BMQ I've never even heard of this. Sounds like some crazy reservist rule to me

Whaaaaat? You didn't know that? Ask a Senior NCO. Commonwealth artillery doesn't have to salute the queen's portrait when entering a mess as the Royal Artillery is the Queen's regiment. I don't know if that applies to mortars because they are not really artillery.

vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
You Canadian fuckers got it all backwards. Here in the states artillery is the KING of battle.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

Whaaaaat? You didn't know that? Ask a Senior NCO. Commonwealth artillery doesn't have to salute the queen's portrait when entering a mess as the Royal Artillery is the Queen's regiment. I don't know if that applies to mortars because they are not really artillery.

This is pretty weird, but I've never once seen anyone salute the Queen's portrait. Officers and senior NCO's included. We salute the regimental standard but not the portrait.

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 18, 2010

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep
Sucks to hear about reg force infantry closing up. Although that will reverse itself after a while.

I am still a filthy reservist. Bored to tears in the INT branch. I want out. Either out or reg force combat arms. I should have taken the offer to go 1 RCR no strings attached back in '07.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Just finished up CAP, which was capped off (ha) by a final Coy sized offensive op. The buildup was good, and the Coy OC is a loving badass, who could lead and inspire pretty much anyone to do anything. We had live fire (C6s) going about 10m overhead (it felt like less than 5m at the time, though), with big fuckoff demo charges going off to our flanks, and we assaulted the enemy position at first light. I'm sure that being absolutely sleep-hosed from the week made it even better than it actually was, but still... Killed the one op-for my section was tasked with, using a C9 fired from the hip while running into position.

Now, PAT Pl for 5 weeks while I wait on DP1.1. I have heard literally nothing positive about this course - other than the fact that at some point it ends. Wheeeeeee!

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Simkin posted:

Just finished up CAP,

What the hell is CAP? What the heck is Vimy Exercise? God I've only been in for nearly five years and already I feel out of the loop.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm pretty sure they're talking about the big defensive ex at the end of SQ.

Drama Llama
Mar 27, 2009

"I hope you can take one alive sheriff, it would be a boom to science..."

acumen posted:

What the hell is CAP? What the heck is Vimy Exercise? God I've only been in for nearly five years and already I feel out of the loop.

CAP is Common Army Phase, although now it's officially known as BMOQ-L. It's the course that army officers (as well as purple MPOs, Intel) do after basic. Run out of Gagetown mainly (exclusively?).

Vimy Exercise is the final exercise during BMOQ. 5 days in Farnham. It's to make sure you can process orders and tell a section to get their poo poo together without curling up into the fetal position and crying. Really straightforward if you're not a total gently caress-up.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Yep, that's it in a nutshell. BMOQ-L (or CAP) is a lot closer to what you'd expected basic to be, complete with lots of cock, lots of shouting, and a whole lot of ruck marching/running. Lots of duplication of effort between this course and BMOQ, so it was kind of frustrating in that regard.

The next serials of CAP (the summer ones) get to live in tent city. Woooo!

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Simkin posted:

Yep, that's it in a nutshell. BMOQ-L (or CAP) is a lot closer to what you'd expected basic to be, complete with lots of cock, lots of shouting, and a whole lot of ruck marching/running. Lots of duplication of effort between this course and BMOQ, so it was kind of frustrating in that regard.

The next serials of CAP (the summer ones) get to live in tent city. Woooo!

Tent city loving rules. The amount of cleaning is minimal relative to shacks. Just drape a mosquito net over your bed and you're good to go!

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

acumen posted:

My brother did basic a year after I did it and dam they changed it. They had so many gay hooah names for poo poo.

herman391
Aug 25, 2009
NECKBEARDS EVERYWHERE HULK SMASH CONTROLLER GAEM TOO HARD
Thanks for the replies guys. Been talking to a few other people as well and I'm defiantly going to be keeping the forces in mind.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

herman391 posted:

Thanks for the replies guys. Been talking to a few other people as well and I'm defiantly going to be keeping the forces in mind.

You should. It's a pretty good time. Until it's not a very good time, but how long that lasts depends on what you do, and where you do it.

surivdaoreht
Jan 22, 2009

I went in today and dropped off my completed application for the Canadian Forces, applying for an AVN TECH position. I'm 5 weeks from completing my two year college program for aircraft maintenance. I have a couple questions to ask you guys.

My aptitude test is booked for the 6th of May, I'm wondering how I can best prepare myself so I ace it. I don't really know what to expect since the recruiter I spoke to said the example test is a fair bit easier than the actual test.

My other question is something I've been pondering for a little while now. I used to do some drugs when I was younger and stupid. I dabbled in ecstasy and cocaine, and a whole lot of marijuana. I haven't smoke pot in over a year, maybe even a year and a half or more. I haven't touched ecstasy or cocaine in well over two years. My question is this; Should I tell the truth or should I just tell them I don't and haven't done drugs? I'm not sure what difference it'll make to them if I admit to doing it in the past. I have an acquaintance who happens to be in the military and said if I haven't done it in that amount of time and it's permanently behind me, to just tell I've never done it (that's what he did).

I'm not really sure what to do, what do you think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

surivdaoreht posted:

My aptitude test is booked...

I DID COCAINE!!

There's a guy I work with now who partied pretty hard when he was younger. He was honest about it and it didn't seem to affect his hiring process.

The aptitude test is pretty easy. Don't be tired or hungover or some poo poo. Oh, and don't have down syndrome.