Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Twitch posted:

Here's an MGS3 question I have: do save games from Snake Eater work with Subsistence?

Nope! Hope you enjoy doing everything again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Lakbay posted:

I picked up Fallout 1 from gog and I'm doing okay thanks to some basic tips from gamefaqs but I've had to rely on a party and I really want to play as the Lone Wanderer but the builds wildly vary between the different guides on that site. So I guess I'm asking for a build where I don't have to rely on a party and I want to shoot stuff. I've only gotten as far as the Hub. Also any other general tips
I played through Fallout 1 for the first time myself a couple of months ago. I did have some party members, although most of them were useless. It's nice having at least one so that you can use them as a mule (if you use barter, you can force all your equipment onto them without worrying about the weight limit).

I went Sniper and that seemed pretty deadly. This is more or less copied from a FAQ but it worked pretty well for me:

ST 6, PE 8, EN 4, CH 2, IN 9, AG 9, LK 9
Traits: Finesse, Gifted.
Tag skills: Small Guns, Lockpick, Speech
Perk progression: Level 3 Awareness, level 6 Bonus Move, level 9 Bonus Rate of Fire, level 12 Better Criticals, level 15 Action Boy, level 18 Sniper, level 21 Action Boy

I never actually got to level 18, after level 15 I pretty much one-shotted everything with a sniper rifle so it seemed kind of unnecessary.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Edit: My Suggestion is basically those numbers ^^^^

Lakbay posted:

I picked up Fallout 1 from gog and I'm doing okay thanks to some basic tips from gamefaqs but I've had to rely on a party and I really want to play as the Lone Wanderer but the builds wildly vary between the different guides on that site. So I guess I'm asking for a build where I don't have to rely on a party and I want to shoot stuff. I've only gotten as far as the Hub. Also any other general tips

High agility will be one of the most important requirements. Maximizing AP is key to almost any combat build.

From there, you have some choices. I always did well with a small-guns expert that I'd later turn into an energy weapon build. So Agility, a decent perception, decent INT to get skill points. Thievery skills are also useful, especially if you aren't against save scumming to steal crap you need.

I guess you can get away with minimizing CHA given your build. Also, Gifted is a worthwhile trait, especially if you can maximize your INT.

I would probably try to get to level 4 or 5 before totally going alone.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Lockback posted:

Edit: My Suggestion is basically those numbers ^^^^

High agility will be one of the most important requirements. Maximizing AP is key to almost any combat build.

From there, you have some choices. I always did well with a small-guns expert that I'd later turn into an energy weapon build. So Agility, a decent perception, decent INT to get skill points. Thievery skills are also useful, especially if you aren't against save scumming to steal crap you need.

I guess you can get away with minimizing CHA given your build. Also, Gifted is a worthwhile trait, especially if you can maximize your INT.

I would probably try to get to level 4 or 5 before totally going alone.

Finesse and Gifted are easily the two of the best starting perks in the game, from what I remember. Everything else has been said: Maximize AGI for AP, build Perception if you're going for a gun build and INT for skill points.

I thought I remember a way to play FO1 on the FO2 engine, which is way better (if only for the ability to use your drat scroll wheel on the inventory screen), but I could be remembering wrong.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Another thing is that in the Brotherhood of Steel, you can have operations performed on you to permanently increase your ST, PE, EN, IN, and AG by 1. That's why that build I had purposefully avoided maxing out any one stat. You also get a free +3 ST when you equip a Power Armor, so that could theoretically be maxed out by the end as well. The LK stat can be permanently increased by 1 as well elsewhere (in the Boneyard, if I recall).

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

McCoy Pauley posted:

Just picked up Way of the Samurai 3 (for the 360). Anything I should know starting out?

If you want to unlock everything really quickly so that you can then play with the accessories/clothes/blood color you want, you can do the vegetarian trick.

Start the game on the hardest level available to you. Choose the 'Leave me alone' option during the first convo in the game. Run to the village and eat a radish. Immediately open the world map and move to the Leave Amata area. You will gain a good number of samurai points for being a vegetarian. Do this over again choosing the harder difficulty levels until you reach 10,000 samurai points which unlocks everything. Then you can play however you want.

When really playing, play on easy to begin with. gently caress your pride - combat is hard and your weapons and skills are gimped. Learn combat - read a FAQ if you have to. It's a little odd at first. Eventually you will learn bunches of moves from all the different stances and combat will become more fun.

Really though - play around. It's a sandbox type game. Everything you collect is saved for each playthrough.

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.
No one asked, but:

Simcity Societies
Download the official patch immediately. The patch will break all your old saves, but it adds three "strategic" difficulty settings (initially, all you have are "creative" settings, which offer no challenge), new buildings, six scenarios, city policies, terrain modification, new keyboard shortcuts, building action automation, and more. It also made the game run far more smoothly on my laptop.

Kid Moe
Mar 18, 2009

Hello Mr.Thompson
Any tips for Battle For Middle-Earth 2? I can never start the game properly and am almost always overwhelmed, and if by the off chance i fight them back it always takes me far too long to build up a decent army, any pointers?

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009
Any tips for Valkyria Chronicles?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

4 Day Weekend posted:

Any tips for Valkyria Chronicles?

http://wsik.centipeed.com/index.php/Site/ValkyriaChronicles

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Whoever can maintain that page might want to change a few things. Chronicles is misspelled at the top, but more importantly there are Valkyrie Profile tips in the middle of the page about endings.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Kid Moe posted:

Any tips for Battle For Middle-Earth 2? I can never start the game properly and am almost always overwhelmed, and if by the off chance i fight them back it always takes me far too long to build up a decent army, any pointers?

If youre playing against computer opponents in skirmishes, they are very hard because they are constantly on you. What you need is a good custom hero designed for killing armies.

Some custom heroes are good at killing other heroes, some are really good at killing masses of units, only one is good for killing both heroes and armies.

Dwarf heroes, the big Troll heroes, are both really good for killing armies. Dwarves can get multiple area of effect powers, like the earthquake and meteors from the sky. Also, if youre going dwarf hero, make sure you get that toughness skill first when you customize as it really helps his survivability. Troll heroes just have that big rear end weapon that knocks back armies away, and have some AoE abilities that really help.

The elf custom hero is probably the best in the game, as with their range and damage they are very good at taking down enemy heroes, and have AoE abilities you can choose when you customize that are great at taking down armies. When I used to play this game with a friend I always had to forbid him using an elf hero, because late game there is nothing I can do against it, no matter what kind of other hero killer ive customized was never good enough.

So if youre playing against the computer in skirmishers, your best best is to customize a hero that has some AoE abilities, the dwarf, troll, or elf. The human mage custom hero does have good AoE abilities, but the cooldowns take too long and he can take too long to get strong, the human melee hero doesnt have many good AoE abilties and is better for hero to hero fighting, the orc/goblins are better at fighting smaller battles than big ones.

In a skirmish just set multiple computer opponents to be on different teams and hope they start to fight each other first to give you some breathing room.

Other than that, learn what side-specific heroes can help you the most early game. Cheaper heroes may not be that strong later on, but early on any hero is pretty good. And make sure you use a mix of archers and melee, archers are way better in battle for middle earth than most RTS games.

If youre sending out an army, and artillery piece can help a lot, like the ballista from Isengard.

So, get yourself a good custom hero, build him first, send him out and kill some of the neutral npcs around and kill the cave theyre in to get some extra xp. Work on getting at least a group of archers early. Computer opponents dont take too long to attack you, as youve already found out.

It's been awhile since Ive played this game, but it was always a lot of fun and great to play with friends. Except when they use the goddamn elf hero.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Jolo posted:

Whoever can maintain that page might want to change a few things. Chronicles is misspelled at the top, but more importantly there are Valkyrie Profile tips in the middle of the page about endings.

Fixed. Thanks for the heads up.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Kid Moe posted:

To add a bit on what the other guy said, and this is especially online, Elves are objectively the best race. They either excel or are the best at everything. Dwarves and Goblins are the worst.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Another fun option for the first two Fallout games is to do a low intelligence run. Your character will be too retarded to have meaningful conversations with others... the conversations you DO have are quite funny. Unfortunately, the first game is probably impossible to beat this way but the second game went balls-to-the-wall with alternate puzzle solutions for retarded characters. There is some really funny stuff in that game if you do this. Bonus points if you have low charisma too so everyone recoils in horror from your hideous face.

I really wish Bethesda had done something similar for Fallout 3.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

McCoy Pauley posted:

Just picked up Way of the Samurai 3 (for the 360). Anything I should know starting out?

Okay, aside from the Vegetarian trick (don't do it, it's totally lame), here's a couple more tips!

Parrying is really useful. To parry, you need to block with R1 and stop blocking right as the attack ends. Parrying will make you glow yellow for a split second, will destabilize your opponent, might let you "match" the skill which means you'll auto-parry it and allows you to enter insta-kill mode against less experienced foes.

The easy way is to just press R1 a lot in fights. Do it fast enough and you'll at least block most of the attacks and only parry a couple times. Successful parries against most characters will let you insta-kill them with X and enter Chain-kill mode which will start a QTE as most other enemies will rush for you. Miss the QTE and you'll take important damage, so if your reflexes aren't that good, it's okay to stop the chain-kill by blocking.

Also, the little icon above your opponent's head is important. When it's red, he's pushing, when it's blue he's pulling. The push-pull thing is crucial if you want to survive. you push by doing a weak attack and pushing towards your opponent as he blocks and you pull by blocking and pulling back away from the enemy as you block. Pushing breaks guard and pulling makes the opponent stumble. if the opponent is pushing, pull.

Other important tip, while blocking, if you press the jump button and a direction, you'll take a step quickly and dodge. It's pretty important to keep that in mind.

Aside from that, remember that you lose Samurai points for villainous acts. So far it seems to boil down to attacking unarmed people outside of missions telling you to attack unarmed people and cutting off women's dresses (apparently it can be done).

So, yeah, have fun, it's a fun game.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
could anyone do football manger 2010?or link me to the page its at?

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Lakbay posted:

Other people have already given the "power gaming" build, but I'm gonna quote myself from earlier on in this thread, since you really need these mods as well (I'd check them to see if there's updated versions though, especially the main TeamX patch):

megalodong posted:

For the people asking about Fallout 1 mods, the basic ones you should get are:
1) TeamX's 1.3 unofficial patch (fixes a heap of bugs remaining in the game)
2) the child patch if you need it (the GOG version of fallout 1 is the UK version, which had the children models removed, leading to things like "ghost" voices and other such fun)
3) the NPC mod (makes the NPCs more like the fallout 2 versions where you can give them basic tactics to follow, change their armor and so on)
4) Sfall, lets you use the mouse wheel to scroll through inventory, speed up the game, use your middle mouse button etc.
5) High Res Patch, lets you boost the resolution above 640x480, and just updated this year with new stuff. Due to the way the fallout engine works, you probably won't want to play too much above 800x600 (the various interface graphics don't scale, so they'll be stuck at 640 width and whatever height, even on a higher resolution), but even at 800x600 the game looks much nicer.

Install them in that order.

Morganus_Starr
Jan 28, 2001
Ys: Oath in Felghana

Where are my goddamn save points? I was just blasting through the ruins on normal difficulty and then I got gangbanged by a bunch of fire toads. Please tell me I don't need to play this game on easy...

Sturm
Oct 19, 2003

It's Xander or Sgt. Fury
Anyone have tips for Left 4 Dead 2? That "What should I know" site had some stuff on the first one, but more general tips would be helpful.

I always seem to find myself last in General Defense.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Sturm posted:

Anyone have tips for Left 4 Dead 2? That "What should I know" site had some stuff on the first one, but more general tips would be helpful.

I always seem to find myself last in General Defense.

This may seem like a strange tip but my campaign game is improving from playing expert mode single player. You die a lot but it really teaches you how to clear every threat immediately because if you don't, you die.

Other than the standard stick together, I'd like to add "know where your team mates are." If you don't have a mic or anything, just turn around every once in a while to make sure people are following you and if you can't see people ahead of you, hurry up!

If you play online, don't be a jerk and don't take it so seriously. I was very nearly discouraged from ever playing this game online from uber prozone layer players who told me what to do in terms of like: "No! No, get behind the wall!" when there are like six walls. Just be courteous and nice and you'll have more fun.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Medieval 2. Again. I actually played a bit, but wouldn't mind some tips.

One normal/normal game with Spain. Kicked out the moors within 10 turns, took out Portugal shortly latter (for some reason killing their king in the very first assault destroyed the faction) and moved on to something more challenging.

Hard/Hard Russia proved a better challenge (Hungary and Poland teamed up to kick my rear end until I accepted a vasselage offer from Poland in exchange for my settlements back and enough money to kickstart my economy). Currently running two horse-archer armies, destroying the HRE seemingly endless crap armies and hunting down Hungarian troops before I start taking their settlements.

My current borders are Stockholm / Kiev / Armenian Mountains / Eastern edge of the map

Anyways... I'm pretty sure the Mongols will be coming before I know it, and I'm still not sure why my relationship with pretty much all of Europe keeps dropping, so help would be nice.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Morganus_Starr posted:

Ys: Oath in Felghana

Where are my goddamn save points? I was just blasting through the ruins on normal difficulty and then I got gangbanged by a bunch of fire toads. Please tell me I don't need to play this game on easy...

Save points are at dungeon entrances and before bosses. If you're taking huge damage/unable to do damage you're probably underleveled. Sometimes all it takes is one level to switch from doing piddling damage to being on even footing.

In the original game you flat out couldn't damage enemies if you were too low level, it's kind of a holdover from that.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That's quite true, I remember in Felghana a lot of bosses went from ball bustingly hard to quite easy with a single level up.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

...! posted:

Another fun option for the first two Fallout games is to do a low intelligence run. Your character will be too retarded to have meaningful conversations with others... the conversations you DO have are quite funny. Unfortunately, the first game is probably impossible to beat this way but the second game went balls-to-the-wall with alternate puzzle solutions for retarded characters. There is some really funny stuff in that game if you do this. Bonus points if you have low charisma too so everyone recoils in horror from your hideous face.

Arcanum was the same thing, only it was Intelligence and Beauty. Even your journal entries would be written in idiot-speak. Same developer as the first two Fallouts, though, while Bethesda hasn't really gotten the hang of providing unique game experiences.

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.
I'm gonna be starting it up soon, but I wanted to know if there was anything important I should know before I started Divinity 2 for PC.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

Astfgl posted:

Arcanum was the same thing, only it was Intelligence and Beauty. Even your journal entries would be written in idiot-speak. Same developer as the first two Fallouts, though, while Bethesda hasn't really gotten the hang of providing unique game experiences.

Don't tell me you would have wanted more speech options... with Betheda's approach to voice acting?

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

21stCentury posted:

Bethesda's approach to voice acting?

You mean "spend all our money on Patrick Stewart/Sean Bean/Malcolm McDowell/Liam Neeson and then only be able to hire three other voice actors for the remaining five hundred NPCs in the game?"

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Astfgl posted:

You mean "spend all our money on Patrick Stewart/Sean Bean/Malcolm McDowell/Liam Neeson and then only be able to hire three other voice actors for the remaining five hundred NPCs in the game?"

What's more annoying is that these prolific actors have about ten lines max. I was kind of excited to have Patrick Stewart in a game but oops his character is killed off 30 minutes in.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
McDowell and Neeson were used well enough. At least they were bloody in the game for more than 10 minutes. I had a bad feeling about Oblivion just from the character creation screen and seeing how many "wonderful" face choices I had, but killing off Patrick Stewart immediately cemented my feelings that this was going to be a bad, bad ride.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

Astfgl posted:

Yes, imagine if they had thousands more lines to record... they'd probably run out of money and need to do it with 3 people and Bruce Campbell.

Is that what you want?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Oblivion's was especially lazy, because a lot of the times the different voice actors would record the exact same lines as eachother. Surely they could have spent a little bit more time thinking of alternate lines so you don't get the same 5 voice actors saying the exact same things with every generic NPC in the game.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Oblivion's was especially lazy, because a lot of the times the different voice actors would record the exact same lines as eachother. Surely they could have spent a little bit more time thinking of alternate lines so you don't get the same 5 voice actors saying the exact same things with every generic NPC in the game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap0ej52lijg

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

21stCentury posted:

Yes, imagine if they had thousands more lines to record... they'd probably run out of money and need to do it with 3 people and Bruce Campbell.

Only if the 3 main characters of the game were the 3 unique people, and the other 1,000+ nobodies were all voiced by Bruce Campbell. And also he makes no attempt to alter his voice for different characters. Even the women and kids.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Oblivion was lazy because sometimes a character would say half their lines with an accent, and the other half with a different accent or no accent at all. This was the worst with beggars and khajit/argonians. They'd sound really gravelly when they introduced themselves, but some of their other responses would be in normal human voices. The number of voice mishaps in that game was astounding.

Astfgl fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 12, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

This is still better than what's present in Oblivion because at least those lines were modified to fit each character. With the generic NPC characters, each voice actor reads from identical scripts and read them out the same word-for-word. I just don't get it, what's the point? Mix them up at least a little bit. I would have traded the writers spending a week on writing The Lusty Argonian Maid for them writing slightly more varied dialog lines.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Medieval 2. Again. I actually played a bit, but wouldn't mind some tips.

One normal/normal game with Spain. Kicked out the moors within 10 turns, took out Portugal shortly latter (for some reason killing their king in the very first assault destroyed the faction) and moved on to something more challenging.

Hard/Hard Russia proved a better challenge (Hungary and Poland teamed up to kick my rear end until I accepted a vasselage offer from Poland in exchange for my settlements back and enough money to kickstart my economy). Currently running two horse-archer armies, destroying the HRE seemingly endless crap armies and hunting down Hungarian troops before I start taking their settlements.

My current borders are Stockholm / Kiev / Armenian Mountains / Eastern edge of the map

Anyways... I'm pretty sure the Mongols will be coming before I know it, and I'm still not sure why my relationship with pretty much all of Europe keeps dropping, so help would be nice.

Alright 2 things that may help:

1. On higher difficulty levels, expect people to be generally out for your blood. On VH, VH I remember starting as the HRE and watching lots of nations immediately get in boats to sail across the world and take a swing at my nuts. I never played on hard, but I assume you will intrinsically have a difficult time maintaining good relations and that's all you're seeing.

2. If you want to be successful militarily abuse hiring mercenaries and using them to sack conquered territory and mostly just spend on military rather than your economy, because most buildings are too expensive and you will be able to overwhelm your opponents and then use their buildings.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Anyone got anything for Sacred Gold? Bought it from GOG this past weekend and I can't even get past the very first fight without dying lots of times, so I need just about any help I can get. :shobon:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

MMAgCh posted:

Anyone got anything for Sacred Gold? Bought it from GOG this past weekend and I can't even get past the very first fight without dying lots of times, so I need just about any help I can get. :shobon:

Who are you playing as? Make sure you equip and actually use your abilities. You shouldn't ever die in the tutorials because they give you practically everything you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

al-azad posted:

Who are you playing as? Make sure you equip and actually use your abilities. You shouldn't ever die in the tutorials because they give you practically everything you need.
I was trying the vampiress for starters. That mage guy right outside the starting inn-type place kicked the poo poo out of me seven ways from Sunday. I killed him eventually, but it wasn't pretty.