Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Parachute posted:

Yep, I and some real life friends played that game for the better part of a decade (re-rolling and starting over several times). The bad RP events and corrupted GM's really put a damper on my play. I did discover a fun bug as caller once, and I used it to level myself from 1-300 in about 4 hours. (I would summon a pet, disown it, summon another pet to kill original pet). For some reason the original pet would not attack back, but would grant tons and tons of experience when killed.

ha! I remember that mud, but never knew about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

ha! I remember that mud, but never knew about that.

I remember that bug.

Also remember Raum removed remorting due to some dumb reason (people 'cheating' by telling how to run ordeals) and after a few years it came back in, got run by a couple people, and was removed for the same reason with him swearing it was gone forever.

Red Mages used to be broken as hell too, for a non-remort class.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

I remember that bug.

Also remember Raum removed remorting due to some dumb reason (people 'cheating' by telling how to run ordeals) and after a few years it came back in, got run by a couple people, and was removed for the same reason with him swearing it was gone forever.

Red Mages used to be broken as hell too, for a non-remort class.

that was why I hated that mud! it was the remort concept! thank you, I remember that poo poo by name alone for being inevitably retarded.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Hello Sailor posted:

Argh. Trying out the gnomish battlemech class (juggernaught) and need 500 gold and another level to even get the 'look' command to function more than a third of the time. Assuming that the first visualization upgrade (and prerequisite power plant upgrade) is even what I need.

I tried the class and this was my problem, too. Goddamn. I tried a troll and it seems like your normal hack n' slash PvP MUD but the gnome Juggernaught just seems so badass, except.. I can't even loving see where I'm going to find the NPCs to kill to level up.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

John Dyne posted:

I tried the class and this was my problem, too. Goddamn. I tried a troll and it seems like your normal hack n' slash PvP MUD but the gnome Juggernaught just seems so badass, except.. I can't even loving see where I'm going to find the NPCs to kill to level up.

There's a reason why troll is marked as [EASY] and Juggernaut is marked as [HARD] when you make a new character :)

Mind you I still want to make one at some point!

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

John Dyne posted:

juggernaught requires cash to start out, and way more later. that for your first char = bad idea. Without spending gold on your juggernaught, you won't be able to see reliably.

also, as hugh said, when we say HARD we mean "there are reasons you don't want it your first character". Especially considering you can make a ton of characters, that's not a big deal.

ps: war in a minute or so, might want to log on if you plan to war.

edit: war over, got raped, glad they give xp for participating lol.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 10, 2010

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

notwithoutmyanus posted:

also, as hugh said, when we say HARD we mean "there are reasons you don't want it your first character". Especially considering you can make a ton of characters, that's not a big deal.

So sending money and supplies between characters is encouraged? If so, that's okay then.

At the same time, I've never understood being forced to play as GenericShitCharacterX just to be able to enjoy CoolCharacterY.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I played and wizzed for retroMUD for a good while. Taking a look at it now, it seems they made a bunch of changes to let you play it more casually.

Seventh Son
Feb 12, 2010

notwithoutmyanus posted:

want a hard, original and creative mud? Check out this LPmud:

http://tsunami.thebigwave.net/

This looks amazing. Is it still being updated? The last newsletter is from Sept 2009.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Hello Sailor posted:

So sending money and supplies between characters is encouraged? If so, that's okay then.

At the same time, I've never understood being forced to play as GenericShitCharacterX just to be able to enjoy CoolCharacterY.

You! I'm going to address you directly, because you're loving retarded/a bad goon. You disregarded all warnings including like 7 times where the game says "this poo poo is hard! not for new players" (in caps), made a juggernaught, a class that needs cash to function (you spend cash to buy upgrades), and basically can't even afford the basic upgrades to be able to see because you made it as your first char. Also, you logged off after like 5minutes of playing and fit into the mold as "Retarded goon who plays for 5 minutes, doesn't read a thing,does lovely as a result and quits". I actually asked like 10 people to look out for you and help you, in the thread, on the mud, etc, to give you money and help learn the ropes. Just cause (tm). Hell, I didn't even know who you were and asked wildcat to find you so we could help you. good job there soldier. Remember those posts above where I said "hey, what's your username I'll help ya out"? :downswords: You could have basically typed : chat hey why can't I see? and people would have helped you out in seconds after that. or newbie channel, or whatever.

Meanwhile, your money is shared between all characters, and your equipment is saved on each character (unless it's nosave). Character limit = 100. To share money or supplies you can easily do it yourself. Drop stuff x place, type logout, select your other char, and you're logged into your second char in the space of, oh, 4 seconds? I've seen other goony folks who are brand new and do significantly better. This is a complicated mud. It's not as complicated as eve, but it's not diku's "go kill thing where your only downtime is waiting for your fatigue/movement points to refresh".

I don't know why people think jugger is cool. It's not like some kind of x-men juggernaught. It's more like a machine class. I've still never made one, and feel it's loving retarded. Deathknight? fun. wu-jen, dragons, monsters, horrors? fun, lots of creative and unique stuff. Juggernaught? umm.

Seventh Son posted:

This looks amazing. Is it still being updated? The last newsletter is from Sept 2009.

Yeah, still active and lots of stuff. They now have a http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tsunami-MUD/#!/pages/Tsunami-MUD/168117495849?ref=ts (facebook) and twitter and their own wiki in progress. Hughlander = wildcat on tsnuami = the owner of the mud = goon. So it's a goon created lpmud that's heavily customized over the last 20 years that it's been active.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 11, 2010

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

notwithoutmyanus posted:

You disregarded all warnings including like 7 times where the game says "this poo poo is hard! not for new players"

Yeah, I thought hard meant "difficult to play well," not "needs money and level 2 for absolutely essential character functionality," so I disregarded the warnings in favor of "gnomish battlemechs sound cool." Steep learning curves I can handle (EVE, DartMUD). I don't want anyone else's money.

So, what's the AOE starter class that every newbie must pick to have a successful mudding career? What level do they get the 'look' command?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Seventh Son posted:

Yah the theory is one newsletter per 4 months but we go a lot longer between them sometimes. Guess should add that to the list of things to do is to come up with a normalized set of things that would go into the newsletter...

Smokey
Feb 8, 2008
empty

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 19, 2014

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Ya, I remember you, I was Risim.

Smokey
Feb 8, 2008
empty

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 19, 2014

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Seventh Son posted:

I replaced the front page references to the news letter with a parse of the RSS feed of the last 10 changes posted to the change board instead. Which all of the last 10 just goes back 10 days... And that's just posted changes there's tons of behind the scene work going on constantly. (One day soon I hope to roll out a new bug tracker for instance.)

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

resistentialism posted:

Ya, I remember you, I was Risim.

wow. I remember you too, from retro. It's been years though. (darkraptor on there).

I forgot what I made...I think psionicist as primary, I never got advanced enough to get into tertiaries but was working on secondary. Retromud was/is a good mud. I did always like that mud, with its party positioning and actual creative ideas all around.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Having a lot of fun on Act of War still...

The pbase has shrunk to about 8-10 people per kingdom (2 kingdoms), but it's still the most fun pk mud online.

Full loot pk, only exp from pk at level cap, group-based system with a strong variety of useful classes.

72.64.118.162 port 4000

i'm in undermountain,

AIM: augiebeans@mac.com

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Elephunk posted:

Having a lot of fun on Act of War still...

The pbase has shrunk to about 8-10 people per kingdom (2 kingdoms), but it's still the most fun pk mud online.

Full loot pk, only exp from pk at level cap, group-based system with a strong variety of useful classes.

72.64.118.162 port 4000

i'm in undermountain,

AIM: augiebeans@mac.com

what's with that game?

I tried to check it out, but once you scrolled past it wouldn't let you list the classes again. I don't get the skill system there - can any char get any skill?

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

notwithoutmyanus posted:

what's with that game?

I tried to check it out, but once you scrolled past it wouldn't let you list the classes again. I don't get the skill system there - can any char get any skill?

It's a DIKU mud.

If you're making in undermountain, these are the races you want:

str / con class: hill giant

dex: skaven

int: draghkar

in tier:

mhrynn: str/con

hobbit: dex

faerie: int

Select yes when it asks you to customize, add everything.

you can always type help classname to get a prime stat and brief description of the class.

train prime stat first, then con and int for hp/mana.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So wait, what game is everyone playing?

I know there are a couple of us in Aardwolf but what is this game where people were talking about Juggernauts or some jazz? How many goons we got there?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

So wait, what game is everyone playing?

I know there are a couple of us in Aardwolf but what is this game where people were talking about Juggernauts or some jazz? How many goons we got there?

Well, the owner(wiz), me, and at least 2 other goons that have contacted me since this thread. No idea how many others. that would be tsunami. If you want help, contact me in game on raptor. Even when I'm not on, there are offline tells. (tell /offline)

I am anti diku, so this warmud and aardwolf hold 0 interest for me. They're great for new players but not advanced enough for someone who knows how to mud. Diku muds basically copy poo poo all around. Example: this warmud and this aardwolf copy concepts entirely. That's why I've been advocating tsunami. It's not a beginners mud, it's built from scratch, and thus other than "0hps = dead" the concepts are entirely original in their implementation.

Juggernaughts are a humanoid class, cost money, and aren't advised for your first char. If you're suicidal enough to want one anyway, contact me in game.

Tsu is more about "how fast can you type". using things like an autorun are basically not allowed (a few classes have skills for it but nobody can do it free)...but movement speed is basically unhindered.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Juggernaughts are a humanoid class, cost money, and aren't advised for your first char. If you're suicidal enough to want one anyway, contact me in game.

Banshee appears to be a pretty good AOE class. Alias "sing wail +x all" where x changes with your level in singing, repeat the alias until everything in the room is dead (2-4 times), eat the corpses to regen sp. Merfolk have the highest bonus to singing, +5 from racial stat bonuses and +10 from racial skill bonuses.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Hello Sailor posted:

Banshee appears to be a pretty good AOE class. Alias "sing wail +x all" where x changes with your level in singing, repeat the alias until everything in the room is dead (2-4 times), eat the corpses to regen sp. Merfolk have the highest bonus to singing, +5 from racial stat bonuses and +10 from racial skill bonuses.

yes. Banshee is a great starter too. they have a lot of unique abilities. You can peace a room, which will prevent things from attacking you until you attack them again first or it wears off. That of course requires success casting it in the first place.

Banshees have been revamped like 4 times.

Clarification on the + concept. Singing skill /2 = the maximum you can do + per level. Since you can raise a skill 5 points/level the max is essentially +50 at level 19. Singing's passive bonus= skill bonus to the songs themselves, since you can't get bonuses on spells/songs/prayers directly. However, you usually also gain singing skill from stat increases per level as well, so the bonus is not linear, there is a diminishing effect from it. Also it's a 1 to 1. so sing dirge +15 all = 15 sps, although it probably won't add 15 damage per target.

With a humanoid class, you get 2hp/sp for corpseheal no matter the level. With humanoid it's like...4hp/sp per level of the monster, or so.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

notwithoutmyanus posted:

:words:

Okay. I'm a nethack player aka I love shoving my dick in a door jam and slamming the door. I don't like making multiple characters and will only make one. What class should I make?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Okay. I'm a nethack player aka I love shoving my dick in a door jam and slamming the door. I don't like making multiple characters and will only make one. What class should I make?

just look at the list man, play whatever sounds like fun. Look at the subclasses and pick one that you'd like. I'd suggest anything other than juggernaught, aurumvorax and skikaku. Every class is distinctly unique. Chaosmages are as random as they sound and have a "kill everyone that doesn't resist my spell" chaos spell, undeads are all unique and fun, thieves steal poo poo from people (method depending on class), ninjas assassinate people (it takes a lot of time to set up but it is a pretty guaranteed kill). Every cleric subclass is unique, they all have distinctly different playstyles. Demons possess npcs. literally. find a unique npc with a combination of abilities players don't? go possess it and kill poo poo/players. Knights ride poo poo and charge people to pin em down, even riding other players who are centaurs/unicorns/dragons. Gremlins can make you absolutely fail poo poo, steal from you, be invincible to a sense. Worms swallow people whole and kill em that way. Spiders inject poison and can paralyze someone while they're poisoned.

The easier way to explain is: name a class, and I can explain what it does/how it plays. I'm not gonna pick for ya.

If you want to be a humanoid and have semi corpseheal to some degree, make your race half-orc. Essentially if you're not playing a monster, horror, fey, dragon or undead, you should be orc (halforc) to eat corpses.

PS: Crawl is the poo poo. Got to D27 once recently, no ascents yet. Never played nethack myself though.

Wulf
May 8, 2008
I've looked at that list and both the ent and warlord seems interesting. Although I assume warlord needs a lot of money like the juggernaut and the ent seems to have pretty heavy limitations. Can you say more about them?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Wulf posted:

I've looked at that list and both the ent and warlord seems interesting. Although I assume warlord needs a lot of money like the juggernaut and the ent seems to have pretty heavy limitations. Can you say more about them?

sure. ent is a serious serious room camper. you can (root) yourself, which can prevent even magical summoning (used in pking, wars) and makes you take substantially less damage. You can purify the room to add more combat bonuses. You can peace people (susurrous) and heal yourself via torpor, and do pretty serious damage if someone is in the room during barrage. You have a vegetation pet which can stop people from being able to leave the room as well (entsong, awaken). Purify makes the vegetation pets do more damage too. vegetation pets attack in room, but don't move with you. Think of ents as a serious endurance class, one of the strongest.

Warlords' costs depend on the level that you're hiring, but they are a cool class. You basically can hire a bunch of npcs (race restricted and/or a fighter) who stay with you for the duration of the skill, which is pretty long if I recall right. Also depending on your race certain areas work really well. It's a class for someone who's played the mud a bit and can work out what areas they'd want to get the npcs you're hiring from. You can heal (campfire), buff(speech), get a pack mule equivalent (steed), can make your npcs set up to ambush or protect you, and has a squire to repair weapons/armor. Sounds cool, but the verdict from someone who has one is that they're kinda boring, apparently. Specifically you don't have any damage skills and rely on your enlistees/pet equivalents to do damage. Yes, you can basically hire anything if the race is right.

A cool class to mention: wyverns. You're a venomous dragon with a poisonous tail(sting), can poison your claws(envenom), have a room attack (venomcloud), have special poisons to apply for single use(catalyze), can fly (for damage boosts/transportation), and have regeneration (sp-> hps in battle).

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Apr 17, 2010

laceratedsky
Aug 29, 2007

I created a Horror Worm on Tsunami. Seems pretty cool so far, one thing I am having trouble with is I got my instructions from the Leviathan, and he said to kill 5 children. So, I did, and uh... nothing really happened. Did I miss something? I tried to get my instructions again, but he wouldn't give them to me.

Edit: In Game Name = Arsis

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

laceratedsky posted:

I created a Horror Worm on Tsunami. Seems pretty cool so far, one thing I am having trouble with is I got my instructions from the Leviathan, and he said to kill 5 children. So, I did, and uh... nothing really happened. Did I miss something? I tried to get my instructions again, but he wouldn't give them to me.

Edit: In Game Name = Arsis

new thing for all:

forget complex aliases. log in and press defaults, and turn all of that poo poo on. that will help a lot.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

How does stealing work in the game? Is there full on invis-like stealth?

zapateria
Feb 16, 2003
I made a char on Tsunami, killed some defilers and now I'm stuck with "You can't act that fast!" messages when I try to move anywhere :(

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

zapateria posted:

I made a char on Tsunami, killed some defilers and now I'm stuck with "You can't act that fast!" messages when I try to move anywhere :(

gotta unroot to move as an ent. That's also part of the newbie quest. Try hitting "town" and help newbieareas and go to one of those, consider and kill your targets. if you hit defaults (and yes to every response). then you press g and your target's name to define your target, and then k to kill it. remember to look at help exp, because you have to raise skills manually. they don't "train", and it costs xp.

Mordiceius posted:

How does stealing work in the game? Is there full on invis-like stealth?

Stealing works depending on the class. Some classes that have stealth like ninjas, thief, gremlin, trickster essentially rely on the stealth skill to not be noticed when they steal/bobble from you.

Thug on the other hand, steals from you with no hidden message. Thugs have a huge intimidate bonus and if you can't pass it you can't attack them. They also have a way to temporarily paralyze you (sap) so you can just steal all day until it wears off.

Bandit and thug rob can take wielded/worn equipment (other classes can disarm and then steal wielded only), but don't have stealth to do this.

If any class that has stealth or equivalent leaves the room and re-enters, if their stealth/intimidate/obfuscate is high enough, you can steal again. Basically you can't steal in combat, and you're in combat if you're spotted entering the room. When you're in a room people can look around to try to see you but if their awareness skill doesn't pass the stealth check they won't even be able to see you in the room.

Success on thief/gremlin/trickster = no message given to the player who is stolen from. They have no idea.

Swashbuckler has sleight, but they have no way of getting out of combat.

Sirene has entice, and you can peace a player between steals if necessary so as to break combat. Sirene can also lure people so that they can't leave the room while lure is in effect.

zapateria
Feb 16, 2003

notwithoutmyanus posted:

gotta unroot to move as an ent. That's also part of the newbie quest.

Can't remember that I ever rooted.. I was just walking along then suddenly got that message, hit "temple" to get back and still was stuck there. Well I'll try that then :)

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

notwithoutmyanus posted:

gotta unroot to move as an ent. That's also part of the newbie quest. Try hitting "town" and help newbieareas and go to one of those, consider and kill your targets. if you hit defaults (and yes to every response). then you press g and your target's name to define your target, and then k to kill it. remember to look at help exp, because you have to raise skills manually. they don't "train", and it costs xp.

Stealing works depending on the class. Some classes that have stealth like ninjas, thief, gremlin, trickster essentially rely on the stealth skill to not be noticed when they steal/bobble from you.

Thug on the other hand, steals from you with no hidden message. Thugs have a huge intimidate bonus and if you can't pass it you can't attack them. They also have a way to temporarily paralyze you (sap) so you can just steal all day until it wears off.

Bandit and thug rob can take wielded/worn equipment (other classes can disarm and then steal wielded only), but don't have stealth to do this.

If any class that has stealth or equivalent leaves the room and re-enters, if their stealth/intimidate/obfuscate is high enough, you can steal again. Basically you can't steal in combat, and you're in combat if you're spotted entering the room. When you're in a room people can look around to try to see you but if their awareness skill doesn't pass the stealth check they won't even be able to see you in the room.

Success on thief/gremlin/trickster = no message given to the player who is stolen from. They have no idea.

Swashbuckler has sleight, but they have no way of getting out of combat.

Sirene has entice, and you can peace a player between steals if necessary so as to break combat. Sirene can also lure people so that they can't leave the room while lure is in effect.

There's also 'you succeed in stealing but the target noticed it'

Remember to ask Wildcat if you get really stuck at something.

I don't play a lot of characters but I've had a lot of luck with a lowbie Zombie though they were a bit boring, I did get 1-5 done in under an hour which was better than I did with a Zealot, Juggernaught, or Fire Drake...

tesserae
Sep 25, 2004

porno broker posted:

Gonna go ahead and through in a plug for the Mud client I help develop, Mudlet. It's a little rough around the edges compared to something like MUSHclient or zMUD/CMUD but the main thing it offers is fully integrated LUA scripting capability.. It's very *very* fast, to the tune of about 100 times faster than MUSHClient in all our internal speed tests(and it's even more ridiculous paired against CMUD or zMUD)

Chiming in to say that Mudlet's pretty great even for a super casual loser like myself. While I haven't tried too many clients, I'm using Mudlet for Aardwolf and Achaea, and it is indeed the fastest I've seen.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
So, I bought Zmud a long long time ago, like over a decade ago.

Is it no longer considered a decent MUD client? Am I missing out, by using it?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

nucleicmaxid posted:

So, I bought Zmud a long long time ago, like over a decade ago.

Is it no longer considered a decent MUD client? Am I missing out, by using it?

no way. zmud is pretty darn good, always has been. a lot of it's features are set up to work with any mud that exists. however, just like that, some of it's features just won't help for any mud that exists.

Easiest example: Most muds have at least character wide aliases at a minimum, so it's not like you really need them stored in zmud. I'm sure there are muds that might not have programmed in any aliases, but it's more of a convenience thing.

I always liked zmud. It does look super dated/ancient though, since it reminds me of the original version from like 10 years ago/more.

Exi7wound
Aug 22, 2004

LOGANO
Remember my name... you'll be screaming it later.
There was a Battletech MUSE a while back... 92? 93? That just ruled my life for a while Combat was fast and furious and it was incredibly fun for just a text based game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

no way. zmud is pretty darn good, always has been. a lot of it's features are set up to work with any mud that exists. however, just like that, some of it's features just won't help for any mud that exists.

Easiest example: Most muds have at least character wide aliases at a minimum, so it's not like you really need them stored in zmud. I'm sure there are muds that might not have programmed in any aliases, but it's more of a convenience thing.

I always liked zmud. It does look super dated/ancient though, since it reminds me of the original version from like 10 years ago/more.

How do we recover our registration key for zmud? I remember it having 2 or 3 uses, i only used it once, but i'm on a new PC now and need to reactivate zMUD. I hope my Materia Magica characters haven't idle-deleted. Was casually working on a paladin that has ~350 quests done (trying to get 1k finished before i go to 61) and gently caress that game if he's gone like my original character is.

Also might have to log in to UOSSMUD just for old times sake*.

*refresh my memory of all the quests/secrets, and then post them here for other goons/piss off the uptight admins there.

• Locked thread