Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Does anyone have experience switching from a 4x10 to a 2x15? looking to trade up from a hartke 4.5XL to a Mesa Boogie 215. same GK 400rb until I find an svt *lol*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

DrChu posted:

Just curious, does anybody actually use the "Active" input if using active basses? My current Stingray (and the previous one as well) is not really any louder than my passive Precision or Jazz unless you dime all the EQ controls, the L2000 I used to have even at its loudest setting didn't overload the input, and some generic six string I used to have was about the same.

With my active Hohner through the No. 1 input on my Acoustic 370 head I would get some mild distortion if I really dug in. I didn't mind it too much at the time and used as part of my playing when I was a teenager. With hindsight though it probably sounded horrible.

black_mastermind posted:

...my old Acoustic 370 head...

Wassup A370 buddy? :hfive:

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

DrChu posted:

Just curious, does anybody actually use the "Active" input if using active basses? My current Stingray (and the previous one as well) is not really any louder than my passive Precision or Jazz unless you dime all the EQ controls, the L2000 I used to have even at its loudest setting didn't overload the input, and some generic six string I used to have was about the same.

My practice head is a tank of a Crate BT-350. Using the -15dB input makes the EQ and gain knob actually usable.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

warwick5s posted:

If you're looking for a fretless electric to be more of an uprighty type thing, then flatwounds would do the trick.

I absolutely love nylon tapewounds on my fretless.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

So I'm at the position where I need to buy a serious bass amp - I'm looking at a head/cab setup and I had a couple questions.

The head I'm looking at is the Acoustic B200H. I've played it at Guitar Center before and it sounds real nice, and the indie pop band I'm in is not particularly loud so I think 200 watts will be enough.

So I need a cab. I'm just kind of in the dark about the wattage rating on cabs - for example I'm looking at a 2x10 cab on craigslist that's 150 watts. Would I run the risk of blowing the speakers with a 200 watt head? The speakers are also rated at 8ohms, whereas the head is 4ohms. I'm not entirely sure how impedance works either. Should I be looking for a different cab with a higher wattage?

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Kynetx posted:

Try dialing out some of the low-end and use the bridge pickup maybe?

If it is present at all amplifier/preamp input gain settings, it's a dead battery like Mr. Posters said. If that's the case, replace it with a 9v lithium and you won't have to worry about it for a couple years.
If it only shows up at higher gain and lower output volume, you're overdriving the preamp stage. If it shows up at low gain and high output volume your guitarist probably hates you.

Does you amp/pre have a -15dB input jack? If so, use that. It's intended for actives. Otherwise turn your gain down until it goes away. If it's still a problem, Radial makes an impedance matching transformer called the Tonebone Dragster. I've never used it, but it is made for this very application.

If it's the battery, you're a doofus* and you should be ashamed.

* (I actually took an active of mine to a tech when it had a flat battery many many years ago. I still hear the mocking laughter of the entire music store in my ears as I drift off to a sleep filled with nightmares of playing in front of my old high school in tightey-whiteys)
You know, it very well could be the battery. I haven't changed it since I purchased it a few years ago. I am going to do that tonight, and I'll report back. Thanks for your help guys :)

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

You should be ok -- I don't think the cab will be able to pull more than 150 out of that head at 8 ohms. If it was rated 150 at 4 ohms I would look elsewhere

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Pablo Gigante posted:

So I'm at the position where I need to buy a serious bass amp - I'm looking at a head/cab setup and I had a couple questions.
What's your price range?

And the 8/4 ohms need to be matched up if that is your only head/cab.

Bourbon
Sep 17, 2006

Pablo Gigante posted:

The head I'm looking at is the Acoustic B200H. I've played it at Guitar Center before and it sounds real nice, and the indie pop band I'm in is not particularly loud so I think 200 watts will be enough.

So I need a cab. I'm just kind of in the dark about the wattage rating on cabs - for example I'm looking at a 2x10 cab on craigslist that's 150 watts. Would I run the risk of blowing the speakers with a 200 watt head? The speakers are also rated at 8ohms, whereas the head is 4ohms. I'm not entirely sure how impedance works either. Should I be looking for a different cab with a higher wattage?

I am no engineer, but I think the general consensus is that it's worse to underpower rather than overpower. If you have your underpowered amp cranked up and it just doesn't have the juice to move your speaker cone at the desired volume then it can result in physical damage (like tearing the voice coil). I suppose the same can be said that if you've got your overpowered amp cranked way up and it tries to move your speaker cone at an excessive volume then it can also damage it. But you're a lot less likely to run into trouble if you have sufficient wattage; you won't have to crank your overpowered amp all the way up to get to your desired volume.

That said, 200w @ 4ohms is pretty low and it will put out even less at 8ohms. If you're going with the 150w cabinet then you'll probably be fine. I still think you will want more eventually.

EDIT: Actually, looking at the math on this site, that amp probably only puts out 100w at 8ohms..

Bourbon fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 7, 2010

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Firstly, there is no need to "match" impedances between the head and the cab. You just have to take care not to present too little impedance to an amp. If it's rated for a minimum of 4 ohms, try not to have less than that or you'll run into clipping, overheating and protection-related shutdowns.
Damage due to under powering is a myth. I won't get into the subtleties of it, but if you are clipping an amp hard you are NOT under powering the driver, you are OVER powering it. When you flatten out the crest of the wave, you are increasing the average power you are delivering to the speaker. When you're clipping, you're getting the same sound pressure out of the cabinet, but you're also getting nasty harmonics and increased heat.
200 watts is sufficient for a backline application, assuming you're also being amplified through the mains.

Pablo Gigante, if the cab you're looking at is a 2x10, chances are it's 4 ohm, unless it has 16-ohm drivers but that's kind unusual. What's the make & model? You should look around Craigslist for a head you can do a hell of a lot better than that Acoustic if you go used.

Kynetx fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Apr 8, 2010

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
drat I love cream pickup covers... I need this bass.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Pablo Gigante posted:

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gallien-Krueger-MB115-1x15-200W-Ultralight-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=581052
I love my GK MB210, and they also make a 115 version. 200 watts, 1 15" speaker, in your price range and less than 35 pounds. Of course, if you're set on a head/cab disregard. I love it whenever I play through it and whenever I have to pick it up.

Also, coupon code "FILE" will get you 15% off at Musicians Friend through this weekend (Thanks, Gorilla).

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Narwhale posted:

35 pounds
Daaaaaaang, that's light. My 220 watt ampeg 2x10 combo is quoted at 86 pounds - what a backbreaker.

At my college, we have a small room in the instrument cages that is dedicated for student-owned uprights. A month or so ago, an student taking electric lessons decided to store his Ampeg SVT 6x10 rig in the room, taking up about half of the space that was previously mine. :argh:

Since it was so accessible, I decided to give it a spin with my fretless 5. I was disappointed - it had a noticeable amount of distortion to it, but after checking the settings I am pretty sure it wasn't due to having too much gain or anything like that. I know that isn't much to go by, but I'm curious if anyone might know what could be wrong with the amp.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Pansies. I'm easily moving around 200lbs.+ from show to show by myself several times a month up and down stairs. And I don't complain because I know it'll be much worse once I get an all-tube head.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Loading in/out is the worst part of playing shows. I hate it so, so much.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

I've played a couple of back-to-back shows and they're totally awesome. It turns a 8-10 hour ordeal with 4 hours playing in the middle into a pleasant 6-hour gig.

It's funny looking back on how our loadout has changed. I've gone from an 8-space rack full of rack-mount processing gear and a 1x15 and 2x10 to a pair of Eminence Deltalite 2510 neodymium loaded Fitzmaurice 1x10 cabs and a 4-space rack. I think the weight has been halved (and the output is even a little louder). I can get my entire rig plus a pair of basses, a fan and a couple miscellaneous things into the back of a Mazdaspeed3 with room to spare.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Hey guys, I know bass -> guitar amp is a bad idea in case you blow a speaker, but how about guitar multieffects? I have an old Zoom 2000S and a Digitech RP7 lying around, is there any way a bass will send them a signal they can't handle? The RP7 has a pea-sized tube in it (REAL TUBE OVERDRIVE) if that makes any difference

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.

baka kaba posted:

Hey guys, I know bass -> guitar amp is a bad idea in case you blow a speaker, but how about guitar multieffects? I have an old Zoom 2000S and a Digitech RP7 lying around, is there any way a bass will send them a signal they can't handle? The RP7 has a pea-sized tube in it (REAL TUBE OVERDRIVE) if that makes any difference

It should work okay, though I don't know about those specific pedals. More likely than not you're going to lose a lot of low-end though. I've got a Wasabi Overdrive that I use on occasion and on most of the EQ settings it completely kills the bottom of my tone.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

NarkyBark posted:

I play bass for free. I get paid to move gear.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

warwick5s posted:

I play bass for free. I get paid to move gear.

God I've been jonesing for a Stambaugh Resonance lately...

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

NarkyBark posted:

Yesterday I carried this guy:

a few blocks because my buddy couldn't drive me back to my place

It was the cherry on top of getting a poor score in a stupid battle of the bands at a college bar, too.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

I look forward to my band's next gig because there's a PA and all that nice FOH stuff, so all I'll need will be my <40lb markbass combo, a bass and my gig bag. No need to bring an extra 210.

Load out is still going to be a bitch though, the drummer and guitarists stuff sure hasn't become any lighter!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Mike N Eich posted:

It was the cherry on top of getting a poor score in a stupid battle of the bands at a college bar, too.

Oh god. I had to carry a stupid Workingman 15 for like three blocks a few months ago in SF. I loving hate heavy gear.

Scarf posted:

God I've been jonesing for a Stambaugh Resonance lately...

Didn't you just get a Lakland hollowbody?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

warwick5s posted:

Oh god. I had to carry a stupid Workingman 15 for like three blocks a few months ago in SF. I loving hate heavy gear.

I refuse to carry anything larger than a microcube without a trolley. I once schlepped a meager SWR LA-15 over five or six blocks and a bus ride, and my arms ached too much to play afterwards. :suicide:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Plastic Snake posted:

It should work okay, though I don't know about those specific pedals. More likely than not you're going to lose a lot of low-end though. I've got a Wasabi Overdrive that I use on occasion and on most of the EQ settings it completely kills the bottom of my tone.

Yeah I just want to try it for fun really, play with some distortion without breaking anything

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

warwick5s posted:

Didn't you just get a Lakland hollowbody?

Oh come now... you know acquisition of a new bass doesn't necessarily alleviate GAS. I want a nice upright too!

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Jan posted:

I refuse to carry anything larger than a microcube without a trolley. I once schlepped a meager SWR LA-15 over five or six blocks and a bus ride, and my arms ached too much to play afterwards. :suicide:

I'm never moving anything again without wheels or like you said, a trolley. The BXR100 has handles but they are positioned oddly and are mostly useless

I still can't close my hands completely without pain

Colin Ex Machina
Oct 16, 2004
I adopted a highway.

Mike N Eich posted:

Oh Christ. I have one of these and it was just too loving heavy to not put wheels on. I can't imagine carrying one several blocks.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Ten years from now people are going to look at those low wattage 15" combos that weigh like 80 pounds like we were in the stone age. Long live class D power, long live neodymium speakers.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

What are you guys's's string preferences? I figure maybe I should restring the bass I just got (the intonation's a bit hosed too) but I don't know what's on it right now or even how old they are. I'd like a bit more of a twang to it if that helps, the sound feels very dark and I'd like to be able to dial in a bit more definition

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

baka kaba posted:

What are you guys's's string preferences? I figure maybe I should restring the bass I just got (the intonation's a bit hosed too) but I don't know what's on it right now or even how old they are. I'd like a bit more of a twang to it if that helps, the sound feels very dark and I'd like to be able to dial in a bit more definition

Take it to a shop and get it set up, especially if the intonation is messed up and you are unsure how to resolve that issue. New strings are not going to fix that problem, but any new setup will require new strings.

String preferences vary on the bass and the sound I want. La Bella flats, DRs, or even D'Addario chromes.

Big Face
Dec 5, 2009

by Peatpot
I set as low an action as possible and use Rotosound swing bass. Gives a very nice twang to it, and it's a habit from covering The Who earlier in my life that has followed me because I love the sound more than any other now.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
I'm pretty lucky in that most of our stuff has wheels I guess. My cab came with them, and our lead guitarist decided to put some on his. Now if we can just get our rhythm guy to put some on his Laney...

I was never a huge loadout kind of guy. Bass, head, cab, cables, good to go. I get the appeal of having a ton of extraneous stuff, but it never seemed worth the trouble to me. Keepin' it simple.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Schatten posted:

Take it to a shop and get it set up, especially if the intonation is messed up and you are unsure how to resolve that issue. New strings are not going to fix that problem, but any new setup will require new strings.

String preferences vary on the bass and the sound I want. La Bella flats, DRs, or even D'Addario chromes.

I can adjust the intonation, I just don't want to do that if the strings are old and uneven. I'm coming from guitar, is that even a problem with bass strings? Since some people never even change them and all. Otherwise I'm just curious about the string options out there

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Mike N Eich posted:

I still can't close my hands completely without pain

You must carry a very light purse.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

baka kaba posted:

I can adjust the intonation, I just don't want to do that if the strings are old and uneven. I'm coming from guitar, is that even a problem with bass strings? Since some people never even change them and all. Otherwise I'm just curious about the string options out there

You said you wanted some twang, so the kind of strings you'll want to get are going to be roundwounds. There's nickel, which is bright, and then stainless steel, which is even brighter. If I were you, I would go with either some D'Addarios or Fender strings (because they are cheaper than other brands and so a good starting off point in exploring strings), which should run you $15 to $25.

If the bass sounds too dark and undefined, also try dialing back the bass part of the EQ on the amp, boost mids some, and add in a bit of highs. Play with the tone knob on the bass itself as well. From what you said though, your bass has some old and dead strings that are probably roundwounds, so they'll sound like poo poo no matter what you do.

There are three main string options, you have roundwounds, flatwounds, and ground/halfwounds. Rounds are the brightest and on basically every bass brand new. They can be clangy, sizzly, twangy, really bright basically. Your general modern bass sound, everyone and their dog uses rounds. Walk into any music store, there'll be a wide variety of roundwounds to choose from.

Flats have a strong fundamental and lots of mids, and are not nearly as bright. They might sound pretty blah and boring on their own, but in a band mix they sound wonderful because they fit snugly in the sonic space between the kick drum and guitars. Plus there's some special magic to be had using a precision bass with flats. La Bella or GHS Precision flats for a more vintage vibe, D'addario chromes for a brighter flat sound (I love 'em).

In the middle there's groundwounds, halfwounds, pressurewounds, ad nauseum. They're brighter than flats, fatter sounding than rounds, and pretty awesome because they combine some of the best qualities of rounds and flats.

Rounds you have to change more often to keep that brightness, groundwounds much less often, and flats can be used for a year or many years.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
You forgot tapewound. :hehe:

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Scarf posted:

You forgot tapewound. :hehe:

They were purposely left out because only you think they are strings. =)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Schatten posted:

They were purposely left out because only you think they are strings. =)

Tapewounds are the poo poo son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Kynetx posted:

You must carry a very light purse.

i also just ripped a callous off while dead lifting, yes i'm a huge crybaby :confused: