Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

SugarPlumDemon posted:

I currently own a CDP-100, connected to my computer by way of a USB cord. I use Red Dot Forever to record my music, which is just okay for it's intended purposes, but the sound quality is pretty crap. The emotional quality of the song is lost, because it sounds like a MIDI file. Is there any way to record a higher quality sound with a USB?

My only other alternative atm is a USB headset to record live audio, but it picks up all the thumps from the piano keys being released.

There are two routes you could go:

1) Record your MIDI performance into a VST-capable software like MU.LAB Free, then use a sampled piano VST like mda Piano to play back the performance.

or

2) Record your performance as audio rather than MIDI by connecting a cable from the headphone jack of the CDP (a quick google search informs me it does not have a separate audio line out) to the line in of your sound card. Then record the playing into something like Audacity; there will probably be an option somewhere in Audacity or the control panel like "enable input monitoring" which will allow you to hear the sounds as they are being played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Furry Neo posted:

How good do standard hard cases fare in airplane cargo holds? I'm looking at a way to get my LP to and from Seattle, and wondering what the best approach to take might be. I've seen some ~140 "flight cases" as well, but was unsure if they're much better.

Talk to the airline and ask them what their policy is about taking guitars as carry-on; I think they are required to give SOME provision for bringing instruments carry-on but the exact policy might vary from airline to airline (e.g. they might want to you buy an extra seat or something, but it doesn't hurt to ask).

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
have you cut the nut slots deep enough? what kind of bridge is it thats too tall? can you post pics? it doesnt sound like a problem with the neck relief, which is all the truss rod adjusts

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

have you cut the nut slots deep enough? what kind of bridge is it thats too tall? can you post pics? it doesnt sound like a problem with the neck relief, which is all the truss rod adjusts

I could post pics later. It's just a simple bone bridge that I've actually sanded down a bit, and cutting the nut slots would only make the 1st fret buzz worse, yes? My D-string is basically laying on the 1st fret right now, while the 12th fret is probably 13mm above the neck, without the bridge on.

babychimps
Mar 13, 2010
sounds like it needs a neck reset

Pedricko
Apr 7, 2008
I'm considering getting a glockenspiel for use in my new band (primarily made up of multi instrumentalists, noah and the whale and arcade fire kind of sounds).

I was just wondering, from my prior experience of huge feedback and not getting the best sound quality, what would be the best way to amplify a glock?

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled
There's music I want to learn to play. I'll have to listen to the same section over and over and over in order to get it, because I'm not very good at learning things by ear. Is there some software that will let me stick sections of a song on repeat? All I can do right now is manually seek back and forth in iTunes, and it is really frustrating.

Someone must have written this software, right? I cannot figure out how to search for it.

Oh yeah, I use Mac OS X.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

vlack posted:

There's music I want to learn to play. I'll have to listen to the same section over and over and over in order to get it, because I'm not very good at learning things by ear. Is there some software that will let me stick sections of a song on repeat? All I can do right now is manually seek back and forth in iTunes, and it is really frustrating.

Someone must have written this software, right? I cannot figure out how to search for it.

Oh yeah, I use Mac OS X.

This is a really weaksauce response, but Audiko.net will let you do this, even though it's meant to make ringtones with.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

vlack posted:

Oh yeah, I use Mac OS X.

Have you tried Audacity? I don't know how good the Mac port is, but if it works well on Linux it ought to work well anywhere.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Yes Audacity or really any wav/audio editing app is fine for this.

You can also slow stuff down to half speed if you are trying to transcribe a tricky passage (half speed = all notes will be an octave lower, but they'll still be the same notes)

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Actually, you can use the tempo adjustment at any percentage of the original speed and it'll correct for pitch too.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

vlack posted:

Oh yeah, I use Mac OS X.

You need to set up a couple of default options, but Reaper is pretty great for this - you can loop sections, and the better time-stretching algorithms let you slow playback down without changing the pitch (and without making it sound like crap!)

There's also that Amazing Slow Downer program people seem to like

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

baka kaba posted:

You need to set up a couple of default options, but Reaper is pretty great for this - you can loop sections, and the better time-stretching algorithms let you slow playback down without changing the pitch (and without making it sound like crap!)

There's also that Amazing Slow Downer program people seem to like

I had a question. Is the Amazing Slow Downer worth the 50 bux if Audacity can apparently do the same thing for free?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

the Bunt posted:

I had a question. Is the Amazing Slow Downer worth the 50 bux if Audacity can apparently do the same thing for free?

Wow, $50? I've never actually used it so I don't know how awesome it is, but personally I'd probably spend the extra :tenbux: for Reaper and get a kickass DAW too. I've always found Audacity clunky as hell but you can't complain for free - I'm guessing you can't adjust the speed in real-time, and it probably starts to sound pretty weird?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
As far as I can tell, the only benefit of Amazing Slow-Downer is a pretty clean UI for independently adjusting tempo/pitch from one screen.

The tempo adjustment in Audacity actually isn't bad, especially not for this purpose.

Reaper is a great program and all, but suggesting it for somebody who just wants to loop and slow down some mp3s is a little bit giving your mom a copy of Autocad when she just wants to make some signs to advertise a bake sale.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give both Audacity and Reaper a try.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010
An update:

I got some new picks (Jazz III's and some Tortex 0.60mms)but, while my guitar does sound more like the guys' I am looking to emulate, it's not there yet. Which is why I decided to buy an Ibanez guitar. There's a second hand one on our local second hand shop website and it's 300 euros. It's an Ibanez S450, in mint condition, with only the 5-way switch swapped out for a 'CMR' 5-way switch, which the guy says comes in the more expensive strat models. Aside from that it has the normal Ibanez V1, V2 etc. pickups.

Link:

http://muziek.marktplaats.nl/snaari...&fta_ind=1&fs=1

It comes with the case, mahogany body, maple neck with rosewood fretboard, 1990 build.

Is 300 euros a good price for a guitar like this?

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Can I get a price check on my bass?

I played bass back in college, and had this awesome purple Ibanez EDC 700. Then I gave it to a girlfriend because I am a moron.

Years later, I decide I need to play bass again, so I buy the same bass, except in black this time.

I believe I have taken it out of the bag about 3 times. It's in perfect shape, no scratches/works fine etc.

About how much is it worth? I'm not looking to sell it in this thread or anything, but I really have no idea what they're worth. I think I paid ~$450.

Click here for the full 683x1024 image.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

h_double posted:

Reaper is a great program and all, but suggesting it for somebody who just wants to loop and slow down some mp3s is a little bit giving your mom a copy of Autocad when she just wants to make some signs to advertise a bake sale.

Yeah you're right, but if she's thinking about buying Microsoft Publisher for the same price as Autocad then you'd at least float the idea :)

Since you're having a crack at it vlack I'll just show you what you need to do - it's really simple once it's set up but the sea of options is overwhelming

Once you install the thing, pop open Options > Preferences (Ctrl+P) and select Media on the left, check the 'Store all peak caches in alternate path' option and add a temp folder in the box below

Reaper creates these caches when you load in a media file, in the same folder as the file by default. You don't really want these all over your music collection so we're putting them in a junk folder instead.

Next go to File > Project Settings and change Default pitch shift mode to Elastique Efficient (sounds wayyyyy better)

You can use Pro but it doesn't sound a lot different and it's a bit more taxing on your computer. Hit the Save as default button

In the middle of the main screen there's a slider, between the Rate and BPM indicators. Right-click that and choose Preserve pitch

And that's it! Use Insert > Media Item to load your song in on a new track, drag in the time bar to set a loop region (turn snap off, you can drag the ends of the loop region around and zoom in and out), turn on loop playback and you're good to go. Drag that Rate slider in the middle around and enjoy

(wow I really should have gone with PNGs)

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I can't for the love of me identify or repeat the three four organ chords played over and over in King Missile - Detachable Penis. Can anyone with more experienced ears figure it out, or perhaps know a trick I could use? Found the root key to one but anything beyond was too difficult because I can't get the sound of that organ.

htabz
Jan 15, 2004
Is there a thread where aspiring musicians offer their services like there is in CC? I am looking to hire a male vocalist to do a quick job for me, but didn't want to randomly just make a thread here since it's the Musician's Lounge.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

mike28 posted:

Is there a thread where aspiring musicians offer their services like there is in CC? I am looking to hire a male vocalist to do a quick job for me, but didn't want to randomly just make a thread here since it's the Musician's Lounge.

Best thing would be to check with a mod, but honestly I don't think making a thread would be a problem - I'm pretty sure we've had similar requests in here before

htabz
Jan 15, 2004

baka kaba posted:

Best thing would be to check with a mod, but honestly I don't think making a thread would be a problem - I'm pretty sure we've had similar requests in here before

I guess if you've had threads like that in the past it shouldn't be too big of an issue, plus I'm paying. We'll see though!

dookie
Aug 28, 2003

If I want MIDI in,

Should I get an audio interface with MIDI in?

or is there a better alternative? I very rarely record things with a mic, and when I do it is only one track at a time.

If I were to get an audio interface, what would be my best choice?

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
You don't need a traditional MIDI In/Out. Usually, it'll just transmit the MIDI data via USB. Still, it's nice to have the old in and outs.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I played the upright bass for eight years in grade school, and switched to electric bass when I moved out to college and law school for space reasons. Now that I'm getting a real place and not a college dorm or efficiency apartment, I kind of want to revisit the big fella again, but the one in my parents' attic was a half-size and is way to small for me as an adult (I'm 6'1" with a large frame and hands so I'd need at least a 3/4).

Is there an equivalent to Rondo Music for classical string instruments, with a good sweet spot between quality and value? I'm not performing in an orchestra or anything so I'd like to find a middle ground between some cheap-rear end ratty coffin bass and a fancy Italian antique that costs more than my car.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
This is just something to think about for when I get a real job and can afford to buy more stupid things but if I want to buy a mid range Tele, what's the best way to go? Low end Fender? High end Sqier? Rondo or some other copy? I'd want something with decent quality wood and craftsmanship, and I don't mind upgrading the electronics and hardware later, I feel like that's the best way to get the most bang for your buck. Of course if I'm wrong someone please correct me.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

I posted this in the 'Best Entry Level Audio Interface' thread, but I guess I'm more likely to get an answer if I try here too:

Can anyone tell me about the MOTU 828 MkI? Some guy near me is selling one for $200, which seems like a great deal, but I can't really find much information about the interface; most of what's out there seems to be on the MkII and MkIII. From what I've gathered MOTU stuff is pretty good, but if anyone has any more info I'd love to hear it.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."

Epi Lepi posted:

This is just something to think about for when I get a real job and can afford to buy more stupid things but if I want to buy a mid range Tele, what's the best way to go? Low end Fender? High end Sqier? Rondo or some other copy? I'd want something with decent quality wood and craftsmanship, and I don't mind upgrading the electronics and hardware later, I feel like that's the best way to get the most bang for your buck. Of course if I'm wrong someone please correct me.

I'd go with a G&L tribute. The wood, hardware, and electronics are all American. The CNC work is done overseas and then they're assembled and set up in the states. They run from $450-$850 or so new, but can be had very cheap used if you watch ebay and craigslist.

dookie
Aug 28, 2003

No. 9 posted:

You don't need a traditional MIDI In/Out. Usually, it'll just transmit the MIDI data via USB. Still, it's nice to have the old in and outs.

I do because I have a Microkorg I need to sync with Ableton Live and use as a MIDI keyboard. Any suggestions?

snuffles
Oct 7, 2007
My stratocaster is making some annoying noises on the g string that are especially noticeable above the 10th fret or so. It's this ringing pitch that's slightly lower than the note that begins just after I strike the string. No loose screws/parts as far as I can tell and I've tried lowering the pickups all the way to the pickguard but it doesn't seem to go away. I also tried to see if it was a problem behind the nut but it's still ringing. I can hear it unplugged but it's especially pronounced with even the slightest amount of distortion. Could the magnet be too strong and be pulling the string? I really like everything else about this guitar but this noise is annoying the hell out of me. :argh:

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010
Dimarzio seems to warn against placing strings too close to the pickups to avoid ringing noises on high frets. Maybe that helps.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
Magnetic pull on the strings can cause some strange noises but it usually adds sort of a strangled character to notes played on higher frets. It can cause things to sound out of tune as well. Dimarzio, Lace, Kinman, and a few other manufacturers make pickups with lower magnetic pull so that they can be adjusted closer to the strings without doing this.

The problem described above sounds different though- more like fret buzz or a sympathetic resonance from another component. Maybe one of the saddles is buzzing because the height adjustment screws are uneven? That occasionally happens on my bass, and the result is similar. It's the only specific thing that I can think of that would result in a pitch lower than the note being fretted.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

dookie posted:

If I want MIDI in,

or is there a better alternative? I very rarely record things with a mic, and when I do it is only one track at a time.

An interface with MIDI in would be your best bet for stability- you can get USB MIDI adapters, but they might be laggy or suffer dropouts and stuff. That's not to say that they're all bad, but caveat emptor, I suppose. Check online reviews, and take them with a pinch of salt.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

dookie posted:

If I want MIDI in,

Have a look at the audio interface thread for some ideas.

dookie
Aug 28, 2003

Thanks. So basically if I have 2 synths I want to sync to ableton live and/or use as midi controllers, I need an audio interface with 2 MIDI ins? I can't seem to find an audio interface with 2 MIDI ins that don't have a shitload of other inputs that I don't need :(

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

dookie posted:

Thanks. So basically if I have 2 synths I want to sync to ableton live and/or use as midi controllers, I need an audio interface with 2 MIDI ins? I can't seem to find an audio interface with 2 MIDI ins that don't have a shitload of other inputs that I don't need :(

Does either synth have a MIDI Thru port? If so you should be able to daisy chain them:

Interface MIDI Out -> Synth 1 MIDI In
Synth 1 MIDI Thru -> Synth 2 MIDI In
Synth (whichever one you want to use as a controller) Out -> Interface MIDI In

Just make sure they are both set to different MIDI channels.

h_double fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 12, 2010

dookie
Aug 28, 2003

h_double posted:

Does either synth have a MIDI Thru port? If so you should be able to daisy chain them:

Interface MIDI Out -> Synth 1 MIDI In
Synth 1 MIDI Thru -> Synth 2 MIDI In
Synth (whichever one you want to use as a controller) Out -> Interface MIDI In

Just make sure they are both set to different MIDI channels.

Why didn't I think of this before???? Thank you sir

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods
Edit: Never mind. Finally found what I was looking for.

DrGreatJob fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Apr 13, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I just snapped a string, so on that note(:v:), any suggestions for good steel acoustic guitar strings? Gotta go get new ones, so any recommendations would be great.