Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
Wow, that is a pretty looking marine - He looks almost like a cartoon character, and the bolter and chest eagle really pop.

Question: What would be the best way to mail an assembled/painted miniature? I have never sent a complete model before and now I am looking at sending a finished piece to the other side of the world. Anyone had experience with this?

I figure I have a lot of the little hard foam pieces from blister packs, I could construct a littel box for the man from them- maybe fill the empty space with cotton wool - but that might leave pieces all up on him.

Tell me your secrets!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Dr. Phildo posted:

Wow, that is a pretty looking marine - He looks almost like a cartoon character, and the bolter and chest eagle really pop.

Question: What would be the best way to mail an assembled/painted miniature? I have never sent a complete model before and now I am looking at sending a finished piece to the other side of the world. Anyone had experience with this?

I figure I have a lot of the little hard foam pieces from blister packs, I could construct a littel box for the man from them- maybe fill the empty space with cotton wool - but that might leave pieces all up on him.

Tell me your secrets!

Take packing peanuts, and put them around hte model itself, especially in areas that need support, like an arm that sticks out or something. Then wrap this in bubble wrap.

Take this bubble wrapped ball and find a box that is at least 2 or 3 times as big. FIll this box with packing peanuts halfway, put the bubblewrapped mini in it, then fill it the rest of the way.

Always overfill the box with packing peanuts, because they settle and you dont want shifting. You should have to sort of squish the peanuts a little as you close it.

Use a good box that wont crumple under weight. Mark it fragile with a red pen. Insure it

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Well, just won 16 Termagants for 8 quid and 5 old metal Termagants for 5 quid.

I probably still don't have enough Termagants now.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
That's some good advice, PV - man, packing the things is almost as detailed an operation as painting the damned things. At least I'm sending a fairly basic model without too many pieces pinned - that would probably make my heart explode in fear.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Alright, haven't painted or modelled anything for a long time, but I finally got this little guy out. After some feedback :argh: Dakka :argh:, I modified the original design and added a chestplate, some abs and some spine detail so it looks more like a denizen of W&W rather than TG.

With the painting I tried PaintVagrant's advice with the weathering and went apeshit on it with a sponge. I think it's turned out sort-of decent for a first time, but I definitely need more practice.

Enough talk, comments please!

(Only)Painted Suit

Click here for the full 1280x1236 image.

With his unpainted buddies

Click here for the full 800x671 image.

Size Comparison with a GW SM Scout and Chaos Warrior

Click here for the full 800x527 image.

Poseability demo (apologies for the grainy grey primer on black):

Click here for the full 640x682 image.

Recoilless Rifle version

Click here for the full 640x617 image.

Any comments and criticisms? I need to figure out how to apply weathering to a humanoid figure, as I imagined it would have a slightly different pattern than say a tank, so if anyone has any tips on that, it would be great.

:siren: Goon Discount :siren:
If you are at all interested in purchasing them, then feel free to wander over to my online store: http://z4miniatures.blogspot.com/

As a special offer to my fellow goon, identify yourself as such and I will send you your first battlesuit post-free (just pay P&P as usual, I will refund it).

The drat thing is finally done. :parrot:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Wow man, that definitely came together pretty nicely! I like it a lot more now than the first version, it seems like it has more details and looks a bit more lethal

In terms of weathering, it looks pretty good. My advice would be to start with lighter base colors, so you get more contrast with the sponging. If you want that chipped paint look, you can add tiny highlights to the bottom edges of the weathering as well

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I'll definitely point my brother to those suits when he gets around to starting up Tau. Do you have a photo of the new suits holding Tau weapons?

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

Bistromatic posted:

My test marine is pretty much done now, once it's properly dried and varnished i'll try to do some weathering.
And i swear the blueish colour has more definition to it irl.

Very cool, but my only critic is that the eyes seem a lil washed out, i'm thinking a dark green wash to them and then perhaps a spot highlight of white in the corners or something?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wow, I may pick up some of those in the future. I love the whole "fatsuit" idea for heavily armored power suits, never really thought thin but heavily armored worked out. I think I made this comparison when you first posted them, but they've got a very Power Dolls vibe, and while I never saw the series or played the games the armors in it were pretty awesome looking.

Just wish they were :10bux: not pounds. :911:

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
That suit is so cool, Z the IVth. I remember seeing the earlier version a while ago, congrats on getting it done!

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Z the IVth posted:

(Only)Painted Suit

Click here for the full 1280x1236 image.

Tau from the T'hunder T'highs sept

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Just wish they were :10bux: not pounds. :911:

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Anyone know of a web retailer who can sell me some Hell Dorado models? All I can find is poo poo in French, and I went to Japanese class instead at school.

I seriosuly need to get my hands on some of those bad rear end motherfuckers.

EDIT: WHO WANTS SOME BOOOOOOOOBS?!
https://cipher-studios.com/store/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=419&zenid=28ba88ed8cbc7076f723cec8189fe144

Feeple fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 12, 2010

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Holy gently caress. I need stilt walking mask flamer in my life right now.

edit: all of them own.

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006

Feeple posted:

Anyone know of a web retailer who can sell me some Hell Dorado models? All I can find is poo poo in French, and I went to Japanese class instead at school.

I seriosuly need to get my hands on some of those bad rear end motherfuckers.

EDIT: WHO WANTS SOME BOOOOOOOOBS?!
https://cipher-studios.com/store/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=419&zenid=28ba88ed8cbc7076f723cec8189fe144

I picked up all my Hell Dorado minis from http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/ I've made about 8 different orders with them and never had any trouble. Make sure you order Kartikeya if you get any, I just got him the other day and he is one of the best models I've ever seen.

edit: here's another store selling em, never purchased through these guys though http://www.fantization.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=277

Also those smog 1888 minis are hot as hell, are they resin?

Bullet Proof fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 13, 2010

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Ive ordered from fantization back in the day, they are cool

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Dapper varghulf found!

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug

Bullet Proof posted:

I picked up all my Hell Dorado minis from http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/ I've made about 8 different orders with them and never had any trouble.

I've also bought from Maelstrom, both from their store and their ebay store. Picked up a bunch Gamezone minis, mostly Feudal Knights for my Brets but also random cool stuff. Went fine both times.

I'm pretty sure the Smog Minis are resin.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Bullet Proof posted:

I picked up all my Hell Dorado minis from http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/ I've made about 8 different orders with them and never had any trouble. Make sure you order Kartikeya if you get any, I just got him the other day and he is one of the best models I've ever seen.

edit: here's another store selling em, never purchased through these guys though http://www.fantization.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=277

That would look great in any lizardman army with a bit of modification.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I'll definitely point my brother to those suits when he gets around to starting up Tau. Do you have a photo of the new suits holding Tau weapons?

Here you go, this is an old WiP shot, but it should give you a good idea of the dimensions.

Click here for the full 800x1111 image.

About :10bux: I am unfortunately unable to go any lower, since my caster actually charges me more than that to make the things. However, with the Pound Sterling nosediving, I believe it only costs 15 bucks to get it now, and I will send it post-free for you.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bistromatic posted:

My test marine is pretty much done now, once it's properly dried and varnished i'll try to do some weathering.
And i swear the blueish colour has more definition to it irl.

If you dropped some washes or black-lined between the armor plates it would separate the model and make it look a lot better.

That being said it's already awesome.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Bachtere posted:

I've also bought from Maelstrom, both from their store and their ebay store. Picked up a bunch Gamezone minis, mostly Feudal Knights for my Brets but also random cool stuff. Went fine both times.

I'm pretty sure the Smog Minis are resin.
Yep,they're resin. I've got a shammock and cabinet sitting around somewhere (that I've done nothing with.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

PV, I have a question about color theory.

If I were to put a thin, selective bit of red wash on space marine armor (along recesses and the like), then go over the model with green wash, what would happen? I'm picturing the areas without red will pop out in contrast, but I literally have no knowledge of color theory.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Bullet Proof posted:

Holy poo poo, use as Krox or Carnosaur? gently caress he's awesome!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Sole.Sushi posted:

PV, I have a question about color theory.

If I were to put a thin, selective bit of red wash on space marine armor (along recesses and the like), then go over the model with green wash, what would happen? I'm picturing the areas without red will pop out in contrast, but I literally have no knowledge of color theory.

Well, the wash is transparent, so youd basically get a transparency effect of the green over red, which would basically dull the red and push it towards a neutral brownish color.

So yeah, the areas that arent red should have more color intensity, in theory.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Where can I buy this dapper-looking plague doctor?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

W...why is his...

Um...

His leg is a giant penis from the knee down. What's wrong with him? :ohdear:

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

PaintVagrant posted:

Well, the wash is transparent, so youd basically get a transparency effect of the green over red, which would basically dull the red and push it towards a neutral brownish color.

So yeah, the areas that arent red should have more color intensity, in theory.

Well, that's pretty much what I was hoping for: Thanks a bunch!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

W...why is his...

Um...

His leg is a giant penis from the knee down. What's wrong with him? :ohdear:

I was a lazy bastard and only made one lower leg for duplication in the master cast. So the guy is standing on a prototype of my new not-Kadeshi Heavy Cruiser.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

Those cool battlesuits make me sad I sold off all my Tau.
I think I'll get one anyway, though. I still have some of the battlesuit weapons lying around.

Jarofmoldymayo
Mar 5, 2008
So, I need to practice painting more often.

The cadian Sargent I just did looks craptastic.

I am too used to bigger models of warmachine, I mean, I think I did fairly well on my thunderhead.

Jarofmoldymayo
Mar 5, 2008
Hit the wrong button.

EDIT: I would have taken a picture of my Sargent and asked for advice, but my camera is broke.

Jarofmoldymayo fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 13, 2010

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Draw a picture of him.

Jarofmoldymayo
Mar 5, 2008
Let's all just mspaint up pictures of our models.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Am I doing this right?

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

Aranan posted:

Am I doing this right?

i see pencil lines

thin your mspaint

dont worry everyone starts out bad, you just gotta practice

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Where can I buy this dapper-looking plague doctor?

I think they will be releasing the model after April 24th (at Salute 2010).

After that they have their store, CMON, Maelstrom (probably more but these were the ones I could think of)

When looking at the price take into account that they're 1/35 scale (upside down bat guy is 73mm according to their website) and resin.

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 14, 2010

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Wanted to buy the Ravenwing set and get working on a biker force for my Ultras, however the one that was in the day before sold out. So I spent 6 quid and raided my bits box to make my relic blade Biker Captain. Fairly happy with it for 1 nights work, my first attempt at a cool power weapon and light source effects.

Click here for the full 400x427 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Well, I was going to paint tonight, but I ate a double down instead THANKS KFC :argh:

• Locked thread