Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

AstroZamboni posted:

I know its a long time coming, but after much goading from his former ham (and pirate broadcaster) father and ham boss, SA SWL guru AstroZamboni is finally going to be taking his examinations for a technician license in 16 days!

[APPLAUSE]

My question to all of you experienced ham goons is this; I've been preparing for my exam using the flash cards and practice tests on this site. Would all of you say that this is a good study aid, or are there better practice tests out there?

I'm kind of surprised that I beat you over here.

I used the tests from QRZ and they weren't too bad. I think I got more out of getting the test question pools from ARRL and studying those. The QRZ tests seemed to focus on the same areas and I was a bit surprised when I got to the test and had more of the questions I thought were obscure than I did the ones I expected to see. I hadn't seen the KB0MGA site, but if you're learning the material it's gotta be good.

I still think you should study the General question pools and go for both at the same time. I studied Tech for about 2 weeks and General for 2 days and got both in one shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IonClash
Feb 27, 2007

AstroZamboni posted:

I know its a long time coming, but after much goading from his former ham (and pirate broadcaster) father and ham boss, SA SWL guru AstroZamboni is finally going to be taking his examinations for a technician license in 16 days!

[APPLAUSE]

My question to all of you experienced ham goons is this; I've been preparing for my exam using the flash cards and practice tests on this site. Would all of you say that this is a good study aid, or are there better practice tests out there?

It's about time! Those tests are pretty good for practice. I would also recommend the Ham Radio Podclass on iTunes.

edit: drat, beaten with the qrz link.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

BigHustle posted:

I'm kind of surprised that I beat you over here.

I used the tests from QRZ and they weren't too bad. I think I got more out of getting the test question pools from ARRL and studying those. The QRZ tests seemed to focus on the same areas and I was a bit surprised when I got to the test and had more of the questions I thought were obscure than I did the ones I expected to see. I hadn't seen the KB0MGA site, but if you're learning the material it's gotta be good.

I still think you should study the General question pools and go for both at the same time. I studied Tech for about 2 weeks and General for 2 days and got both in one shot.

After going over the ARRL's pool, I've determined that the site I'm using is what I should continue using.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

AstroZamboni posted:

[APPLAUSE]

I used QRZ.com and
HamTestOnline.

HamTestOnline has a free trial for the lessons, but you can use their practice tests for free and they simulate question frequency.

I also used these study guides, which are more or less glorified question pools with the wrong answers taken out, but some provide equations and things.

Technician Study Guide

General Study Guide

Extra Study Guide

I just tested yesterday and am awaiting my callsign. I passed all three exams and will be an Extra when I get my paperwork, so I can vouch for these.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
16 days is plenty of time to make general, if not extra.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

AstroZamboni posted:

[APPLAUSE]

Depends, for a lot of it, yeah, just go ahead and memorize the answers. For the math related stuff, it's your choice between A) memorization and forgetting after you take the test (cramming) or B) actually trying to learn the equations and math behind those sections and potentially keep that knowledge.

To be quite honest, you will likely pass the exam with a higher score if you just memorize the question banks and go through the test a couple dozen times (if you feel like that kind of effort.)

But if you intend on making your own antennas and stuff, and getting deeper into the hobby then it would suit you well to actually try to learn what's behind the questions.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
And you should build your own antennas, because its fun and awesome. J-pole for a HT is a cheap fun and awesome project, and work pretty drat well decently all things considered.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Sniep posted:

Depends, for a lot of it, yeah, just go ahead and memorize the answers. For the math related stuff, it's your choice between A) memorization and forgetting after you take the test (cramming) or B) actually trying to learn the equations and math behind those sections and potentially keep that knowledge.

To be quite honest, you will likely pass the exam with a higher score if you just memorize the question banks and go through the test a couple dozen times (if you feel like that kind of effort.)

But if you intend on making your own antennas and stuff, and getting deeper into the hobby then it would suit you well to actually try to learn what's behind the questions.

I already know the equations, so that part isn't an issue.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

AstroZamboni posted:

I already know the equations, so that part isn't an issue.

Then yeah, for sure, if you feel comfortable with the actual science behind it all, then just cram/memorize the questions for the test. That's what I did.

The parts that are actually important will stick. There are a few questions on there that just don't even really make sense and its best to have went through the tests and all the question libraries to tell yourself what they are looking for. Things like "who is responsible for you when you transmit on another stations equipment" etc. I like to think that common sense would answer a lot of those questions, but they have specific answers.

Edit: Stuff like that, and the freq. bands that are limited to CW or packet etc. That is good to cram, because you're going to either memorize it with practice if you play in those bands or reference a chart anyway.

Sniep fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Apr 5, 2010

TNLTRPB
May 11, 2007
RFCs 1459, 2810-2813 FTW
Sniep, where did you disappear to? I haven't seen you on IRC in ages. We actually have a decent channel going on these days.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Caught a little bit of this driving home on NPR yesterday.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=125586086

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

I finally managed to get a QSL from CM/CO land

Worked plenty of stations there but could never get a QSL. Ore came through for me.

KingOMtDew
Dec 29, 2008
Have you ever wanted to try EME? Here is your chance.

On April 16,17 and 18 the Arecibo telescope will be put on the air and pointed at the moon. According to the article, it should be possible to hear the Arecibo moonbounce transmissions with little more than a handheld 5-element Yagi antenna and a radio with 70 cm SSB receive capability. They are using a 400 watt amp and I read that the dish has 58dbi of gain (not bad).

I will be listening using my handheld Arrow satellite antenna hooked up to my 706 mk2g.

More info from ARRL here:
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2010/04/07/11420/?nc=1

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 28, 2019

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Jose Pointero posted:

Anyway, today I stumbled across a new ham website. What happens when ham radio meets 4chan? You get hamchan.tk. Sounds like a retarded concept but I think it's got potential to be cool if more people get on it. It definitely seems to have a hamsexy-ish sense of humor...
Heh, /11/meters and /14/275? It really is a mashup of 4chan and radio.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 28, 2019

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
If anyone has $25k sitting around doing nothing, you can be the proud owner of Marlon Brando's HF rig (with accessories!).

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 28, 2019

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
Well, I bit the bullet and got myself a radio on eBay.

I'll have a late model Yaesu FT-101 on my doorstep in about 2 weeks or so.

Xenpo
Feb 20, 2009
I will be testing for my Technician tomorrow. The two rigs I am looking into getting either the Yaesu FT-817ND or the FT-897D. I want a rig to serve as something portable and a decent base station. I do not have a budget for anything over 1K, and I was just looking for people's experiences with either of these rigs. I will be getting my general in May and hopefully be able to get a rig by Summer's end. Suggestions?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Xenpo posted:

I will be testing for my Technician tomorrow. The two rigs I am looking into getting either the Yaesu FT-817ND or the FT-897D. I want a rig to serve as something portable and a decent base station. I do not have a budget for anything over 1K, and I was just looking for people's experiences with either of these rigs. I will be getting my general in May and hopefully be able to get a rig by Summer's end. Suggestions?

The 817 should have a battery pack and make it truly portable, this however comes at a price as it's a QRP (low power) rig. The 897 is less portable as you need to figure out the power supply yourself, however it's got a ton more power, 100watts on most bands if I'm remembering right.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 28, 2019

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I'm taking my technician exam a week from tonight. I've got the entire loving question pool memorized at this point, and consistently score 100% on the practice exams, so I'm good to go.

Haven't taken the test yet, but I'm already preparing for the General portion. Should be ready by the next time my local ARC has an exam night.

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!
So, tonight, I stopped in at the local university's club, and hung out with some friends. It turns out that ARRL is going to be doing an EME event this weekend (to the new guys, remember how the OP mentions bouncing radio signals OFF THE MOON, well, this is the real deal).

Anyways, we grabbed the 18 element 440MHz beam out of storage, threw it on a tuner, and got it adjusted pretty well. After beaming some 440MHz into a monitor (unintentionally), we decided to give our buddy, and fellow radio club member a call on the phone. Asked him if he had a 440MHz SSB setup he could get going, and, being an RF engineer and totally awesome RF geek in general, of COURSE he did. After asking why we were asking, we explained, and he jumped in his car about 4 seconds later, with an 11 element beam, a rig, batteries, the whole works. He picks me up, and the other guy sticks back in the shack. We jump in the car, and drive out to a few locations, one about 3 miles away, and make our first 440 contact. Ok, we're both hearing each other at 5/9, with 20 watts going into the antennas each. Let's go for a hike.

15 miles, 5/7 at 20 watts.

20 miles, 5/5 at 20 watts

28 miles, 5/7 at 20 watts (higher elevation).

33 miles, 5/9 at 0.5 watts. Yes, we reduced our power to 2.5% of what it was originaly, and got 5/9. How, might you ask? Well, remember how I mentioned that my friend was an RF engineer? Yeah, he works for a commercial radio station. We went out to the transmit site for their FM side, whose tower coincidentally has an antenna that is not being actively used, so, I plug in my HT, put it into low power mode. The following exchange happened:

:) "[REDACTED]"
:3: "[REDACTED], I have you at 5/9. Are you guys on your way back to the university?"
:) "Nah, we decided to go a little further out. About 5 air miles further away than our last QSO"
:3: "How is this possible? You guys were 5/7 last time I talked to you, and you must be over the hill." (the hill is in reference to a hill that basically separates the two cities from VHF and UHF communications)
:) "We had a slight change of equipment. The batteries on the mobile rig were dying, so I hooked up my HT."
:3: "How are you getting better reception with an HT?"
:) "It helps, when you have a commercial-grade antenna that's 550 feet up in the air."
:3: "Oh god, this is awesome"
:) "Did I mention that I'm running half a watt?"
:3: "You're kidding me."
:) "Serious as a funeral right now."

So, yeah. 33 air mile contact on 440 using half a watt. So what if I cheated and used a tower that's a tenth of a mile tall.

It was a fun night tonight.

Anyone else down to try the moonbounce this weekend? I'll be participating, so if you're listening, and you hear [REDACTED] get called out, throw out your call and some reference to stairs.

Phuzion fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 2, 2018

TNLTRPB
May 11, 2007
RFCs 1459, 2810-2813 FTW
You guys should totally get on that EchoLink node I setup; it's on a mostly unused lovely repeater that just so happens to be like .25 miles from campus. If there's interest I'll carry my XTS around campus with me for between-class QSOing and general bullshittery. It's the local club repeater (and is totally a piece of poo poo) which I have pretty much free reign on since nobody uses it.

Node number 480526

Edit: Oh also the node info on the echolink system is wrong; it used to be on the UHF machine, but some long-winded conversations blew the finals out on the repeater, so they made me move it to the VHF machine. I've just been :effort: at going over there and changing the info on the software.

TNLTRPB fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Apr 13, 2010

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Phuzion posted:

Antenna story

That is loving awesome. I wonder how much better you'd get with an antenna that was tuned to 440 at that height?

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
I made a 150 mile 2M contact on my HT once. It helped though the contact was someone flying at like 4,000 ft a few states away, but neat anyways! Best cheating repeater contact was when I was vacationing on the shore and some tropo got me into a machine some 450 miles up the coast. I was using 50 watts on a mobile that time.

Th_
Nov 29, 2008
I have changed my callsign! There were several people about who matched me 4/5, so I switched from AB9UJ to NB9F.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

TNLTRPB posted:

You guys should totally get on that EchoLink node I setup; it's on a mostly unused lovely repeater that just so happens to be like .25 miles from campus. If there's interest I'll carry my XTS around campus with me for between-class QSOing and general bullshittery. It's the local club repeater (and is totally a piece of poo poo) which I have pretty much free reign on since nobody uses it.

Node number 480526

Edit: Oh also the node info on the echolink system is wrong; it used to be on the UHF machine, but some long-winded conversations blew the finals out on the repeater, so they made me move it to the VHF machine. I've just been :effort: at going over there and changing the info on the software.

Give me an idea of when you'll be on. I just got Echolink set up and I've been itching to make some contacts.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I've decided I'm going to try for General on Monday night, not just Technician. I'm pretty drat sure I'll be ready by then. Get the champagne ready!

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I hope you do well on the exam. General really isn't that hard, the things that tripped me up on the practice exams were things like band edges. I never understood memorizing those when you can just print out a reference chart. Hope to see you on Echolink.

Also, the repeater TNLTRPB posted should be the official Echolink Goonpeater for those of us without radio.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

xergm posted:

I hope you do well on the exam. General really isn't that hard, the things that tripped me up on the practice exams were things like band edges. I never understood memorizing those when you can just print out a reference chart. Hope to see you on Echolink.

Also, the repeater TNLTRPB posted should be the official Echolink Goonpeater for those of us without radio.

Hell I thought general was easier, as it had less esoteric part 97 rules and regs questions.

Xenpo
Feb 20, 2009

Jose Pointero posted:

It's kind of a toss-up really. Those radios both have their merits, but are aimed at different audiences. The 817 is kindof a "go anywhere, throw some wire in a tree, and be on HF QRP in 5 minutes" rig. If you're an outdoorsy kind of person, then it'd be great for you. HF is nice to work out in the sticks too, because the further away from cities you get the less noise there is.

Got my Tech, waiting on my callsign! The portability really appeals to me, so I'll look more into the FT-817ND, thanks. Anyone here work any satellites or go HFpacking? Noticed that the ARRL sells a book that talks about Amature Radio Astronomy as well and thought that looked interesting, though something I had not considered when looking into HAM.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

blugu64 posted:

Hell I thought general was easier, as it had less esoteric part 97 rules and regs questions.

There was much more math, which I found really easy, but most of the part 97 stuff on the Technician exam was pretty much common sense for me. Although, when you go ahead and study for everything and get into the obscure regulations for Extra, I suppose those regulations would seem pretty easy.

TNLTRPB
May 11, 2007
RFCs 1459, 2810-2813 FTW

xergm posted:

Give me an idea of when you'll be on. I just got Echolink set up and I've been itching to make some contacts.

I'll bring my radio with me tomorrow; I'm free from class at around 1530 central time; I'll also go over to the repeater site / club radio room and tweak the volume levels on echolink (because I've been :effort: at doing that for far too long now) and fix the station info stuff.

Edit: Also just be forewarned that this repeater sounds like rear end, but the plus side of that is that nobody uses it.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

xergm posted:

There was much more math, which I found really easy, but most of the part 97 stuff on the Technician exam was pretty much common sense for me. Although, when you go ahead and study for everything and get into the obscure regulations for Extra, I suppose those regulations would seem pretty easy.

I hear extra has a bunch of digital logic on it now.

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!

TNLTRPB posted:

I'll bring my radio with me tomorrow; I'm free from class at around 1530 central time; I'll also go over to the repeater site / club radio room and tweak the volume levels on echolink (because I've been :effort: at doing that for far too long now) and fix the station info stuff.

Edit: Also just be forewarned that this repeater sounds like rear end, but the plus side of that is that nobody uses it.

If you guys want to hit up EchoLink node 233315 (W8UPD-R) and I should be able to hear you connect. The other repeater I listen in on occasionally is node 146520 (KB8WLW-R).

Any local hamgoons (Cleveland area) wanna QSO on one of the repeaters and chat it up this afternoon?

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!

TNLTRPB posted:

Double post, but what is your Echolink node number?

Beefington
Sep 18, 2004

Live Together, Die Alone

Phuzion posted:

Double post, but what is your Echolink node number?

Like ten posts up:

TNLTRPB posted:

Node number 480526

Maybe I should download Echolink again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!

Beefington posted:

Like ten posts up:

Hurp, I'm blind.

Maybe I'll see if I can bridge the two repeaters tonight.