Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.
I think I got it now.. Just have to find the drivers on my main PC and move 'em over. Thanks folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Er... nevermind.

Scholtz fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 10, 2010

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is there a recommended internal wireless card for a tower running 64-bit Windows 7? Recently, the card I'm using now is reporting speeds of ~2.3Mb/s or less (via SpeedTest) while at the same time my roommate's wireless card is reporting speeds of around 15Mb/s (also via SpeedTest). I'm thinking this card I'm using is on its way out (even though I bought it six months ago :cry:).

Any suggestions for a replacement?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I recently bought this laptop and had it delivered to my brother and his wife in Canada. They are asking me where they could get a keyboard skin for it. Anyone know of a source for this model in Canada?

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Steve Moore posted:

I recently bought this laptop and had it delivered to my brother and his wife in Canada. They are asking me where they could get a keyboard skin for it. Anyone know of a source for this model in Canada?

Not relevant to your question but this is a good deal, was thinking of getting an Acer but this is even cheaper, just put my order in. If it's really a piece of crap, could easily sell it. If you ever get a chance to see it and feel like going crazy you can even pick up a 1.6GHz socket S1 X2 that fits right in for $6 off eBay.

Are the TF-20s just the trash from the factory with a deactivated second core, is it possible to unlock it or something like that?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I believe the TF-20 is just another name for the Athlon Neo. Anyway I tried it out briefly and found that the CPU is acceptable for light and some medium tasks for casual users. I didn't like the feel or layout of the keyboard at all though.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Does a product exist where I could plug in a video source (composite or component) and it would record the data coming in to a hard drive for editing later? Completely headless, just a box recording what it's being fed.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

This is weird. I've had my sapphire radeon 4850 for well over a year now running without a hitch, but out of nowhere the graphics card doesnt send a signal to the monitor anymore. I've tried reseating the card, checked all connections, etc but I can't even see the bios screen. The card definitely turns on with the rest of the computer and the fan starts spinning, but I get no signal whatsoever.

In the hopes that my card didn't just bite the dust, has anyone had any similar problem with their radeon 4850?

Edit: Google comes up with a lot of relevent results, but they all seem to be cases where the graphics card only stops sending the signal once the operating system starts. I have a feeling that's different from my issue, since I don't even get a signal at the bios.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
What is your power supply?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Feral Integral posted:

This is weird. I've had my sapphire radeon 4850 for well over a year now running without a hitch, but out of nowhere the graphics card doesnt send a signal to the monitor anymore. I've tried reseating the card, checked all connections, etc but I can't even see the bios screen. The card definitely turns on with the rest of the computer and the fan starts spinning, but I get no signal whatsoever.

In the hopes that my card didn't just bite the dust, has anyone had any similar problem with their radeon 4850?

Edit: Google comes up with a lot of relevent results, but they all seem to be cases where the graphics card only stops sending the signal once the operating system starts. I have a feeling that's different from my issue, since I don't even get a signal at the bios.
Well, it might not be the video card. If the system won't boot for another reason, it won't be sending anything to the display then, either. Do you get any beep codes or other indications that the rest of the system is trying to work? Can you test it out with a known good card, or onboard video if you've got it?

If you do have strong reasons to suspect the video card, now would be a good time to start the RMA ball rolling. Sapphire's warranty is good for two years.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Is there a site (with benchmarks) that compare the following data storage methods:

ATA HD
SATA HD
SSD HD
Fibre channel SAN
iSCSI SAN
USB 2.0/3.0
FW 400/800

etc?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Bob Morales posted:

Is there a site (with benchmarks) that compare the following data storage methods:

ATA HD
SATA HD
SSD HD
Fibre channel SAN
iSCSI SAN
USB 2.0/3.0
FW 400/800

etc?

Maybe some of these are compared at StorageReview.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

What are some good sites to easily find up to date reviews for motherboards and processors? I kind of like the idea behind testfreaks.com, but it's hard to filter out the products that are a year and a half to two years old.

Stevor
Feb 18, 2004

THIS IS VERY BIZARRE
My friend recently dug out a 1986 Compaq Portable 286 from his garage that his dad used back in the day. After some troubleshooting, we got it to work. Unfortunately, it seems part of the issue is a bad printer/floppy disk controller board. It has the two 5.25" floppy drives still in it, and a third-party upgraded 20mb HDD board. My dillema now is how do I get new data onto the thing? I don't have a 5.25" floppy drive to use in another computer, or even discs for that matter. Even then, the controller board is fried... Are there any viable options for transferring data to the thing? What will I have to try to find on Ebay to get it working?

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Stevor posted:

My friend recently dug out a 1986 Compaq Portable 286 from his garage that his dad used back in the day. After some troubleshooting, we got it to work. Unfortunately, it seems part of the issue is a bad printer/floppy disk controller board. It has the two 5.25" floppy drives still in it, and a third-party upgraded 20mb HDD board. My dillema now is how do I get new data onto the thing? I don't have a 5.25" floppy drive to use in another computer, or even discs for that matter. Even then, the controller board is fried... Are there any viable options for transferring data to the thing? What will I have to try to find on Ebay to get it working?

Does it have anything else for inputs? COM ports or anything?

You could always use Morse code!

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Space Gopher posted:

Well, it might not be the video card. If the system won't boot for another reason, it won't be sending anything to the display then, either. Do you get any beep codes or other indications that the rest of the system is trying to work? Can you test it out with a known good card, or onboard video if you've got it?

If you do have strong reasons to suspect the video card, now would be a good time to start the RMA ball rolling. Sapphire's warranty is good for two years.

Yeah first thing I did was try with another video card. It immediately showed picture on the monitor when I switched. Then I put the radeon back in and tried again with the same result: no signal. So now I'm using my working card to use my PC.

Thanks for reminding me of the warranty, I figured that was long past expired :)

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

:dukedog:
Right, I think my video card's dead. I'm getting weird video corruption everywhere, even on the BIOS setup screen. In text mode, I just get black blocks everywhere. In Vista safe mode, I have wobbly purple horizontal lines going all over the screen. Won't even boot outside of safe mode (Got a blue screen saying that the video driver wasn't responding, but that was only once. Other times I just get a black screen and nothing else).

I've tried reseating the card, but to no avail. Is there anything else I can try before I completely give up and just buy a new card? It's an nVidia 9600 GT if that's of any use.

So, failing that, I have no idea what to look for in a new card as I'm more of a software guy. I want to go with nVidia again, and I'm looking to spend under $500AU, preferably for something that will keep me going for another year or two.

JustAnother Fat Guy
Dec 22, 2009

Go to hell, and take your cheap suit with you!
All the 200 series bar some rebrands are end of line and drat difficult to get a hold of and the 400 series is very expensive.

The GTX470 sits right on your budget line of 500 dollars.

Personally i would drop the brand loyalty and buy a 5850 as they have amazing performance/money ratio at the moment, and give similar performance to the 470 whilst costing a lot less, dragging 100W less power out of the wall and running cooler and quieter.

This is the situation this year in which the market has stagnated due to nvidia really not putting out anything great, just a loud, power intensive and hot chip which gives about the same performance as the 5870 for lots of :20bux: more, and physx is becoming obsolete with directx11.

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

:dukedog:
^

DirectX is finally getting physics? I really am out of the loop.

Are ATI drivers less lovely these days? That's the main reason I want to go with NVidia, because I never had the lovely driver problems that seemed to plague ATI for years.

AntiPseudonym fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 14, 2010

JustAnother Fat Guy
Dec 22, 2009

AntiPseudonym posted:

Are ATI drivers less lovely these days? That's the main reason I want to go with NVidia, because I never had the lovely driver problems that seemed to plague ATI for years.

:suicide:

Rage 3d pci card drivers are no longer, there are problems with drivers from both makers, the most obvious one atm being slow load times due to ATIs shader compiler being slow under dx11 and 10, but the beta for the new drivers are out and the loading is now wicked fast(faster than my nvidia computer :smug: ).

ATI cards will run anything you like.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
headlight on a northbound train
NVIDIA offers the Quadro NVS 420 in x1 and x16 interfaces. When driving four 1280x1024 monitors with this card, is there an advantage to the x16 interface? Does normal office-type stuff times four monitors use more than x1 bandwidth? I'm not sure how to figure this out, and none of the product literature enlightens me. (Nor have other forums, I'm hoping there's enough concentrated awesome here that someone knows the answer.)

For reference:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_quadro_nvs_420_us.html

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Is the power usage in S3 sleep so little that I would likely not notice the power bill from leaving my computer to sleep instead of hibernate? My hard drives are slow and coming out of hibernate sucks.

Negative_Kittens
Apr 8, 2008

[ASK] me about multiple personality disorders
I'm getting a new computer and switching out from my usual brand loyalty of Intel to AMD, because the power per dollar of AMD is superior to Intel. That said, I'm getting an AMD Athlon II X4 630 @ 2.8ghz. I do not plan on overclocking, I have some Arctic Silver 5 and I'm debating whether or not to use it or go with the stuff they have on the heatsink already. I've never put a CPU into a motherboard, but I've seen it done plenty of times.

My question really is: What is the best way to apply thermal paste to the CPU? I've heard conflicting stories from friends. Some say to spread a thin layer on the CPU, some say use a rice-sized dab and smoosh the heatsink on top of it, some say to do the rice-sized dab and then twist the heatsink on the cpu a few degrees, and I'm really confused.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Turnquiet posted:

Is the power usage in S3 sleep so little that I would likely not notice the power bill from leaving my computer to sleep instead of hibernate? My hard drives are slow and coming out of hibernate sucks.

My machine uses about 5-7 watts in S3 sleep, that usually translates to like $1.00 on my power bill per month. I actually save quite a bit of money by using S3 sleep whenever I'm away from the computer for more than 10 minutes and if I ever need it on (like for starting a Steam download when I'm at work) then I just use Wake On Lan.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Negative_Kittens posted:

Applying Arctic Silver to CPU.

Arctic Silver has a pretty comprehensive guide that shows how to apply thermal compound to both AMD and Intel CPUs.

Negative_Kittens
Apr 8, 2008

[ASK] me about multiple personality disorders

Ruklo Burosee posted:

Arctic Silver has a pretty comprehensive guide that shows how to apply thermal compound to both AMD and Intel CPUs.

Oh holy crap, thanks. I didn't check their site.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Not sure if this is the right thread but..

SMART tells me my (less than a year old Seagate Spinpoint) hard drive is dying. I've got another unused drive of equal size, what's the best utility to clone everything from drive to the other? Back in the day we used Norton Ghost, but I haven't kept up on this sort of thing.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Negative_Kittens posted:

I'm getting a new computer and switching out from my usual brand loyalty of Intel to AMD, because the power per dollar of AMD is superior to Intel. That said, I'm getting an AMD Athlon II X4 630 @ 2.8ghz. I do not plan on overclocking, I have some Arctic Silver 5 and I'm debating whether or not to use it or go with the stuff they have on the heatsink already. I've never put a CPU into a motherboard, but I've seen it done plenty of times.

My question really is: What is the best way to apply thermal paste to the CPU? I've heard conflicting stories from friends. Some say to spread a thin layer on the CPU, some say use a rice-sized dab and smoosh the heatsink on top of it, some say to do the rice-sized dab and then twist the heatsink on the cpu a few degrees, and I'm really confused.

Don't even worry about Arctic Silver. The stock heatsink will come with preapplied thermal goop; just follow the directions in the manual to install it. No, it won't be EXTREME HIGH PERFORMANCE stuff, but there's going to be just about zero difference in performance on the stock cooler. Thermal compound's still a good thing to have around on general principle, but there's no need to go to the effort of cleaning off the stock compound and carefully reapplying AS for the first installation.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

blargle posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread but..

SMART tells me my (less than a year old Seagate Spinpoint) hard drive is dying. I've got another unused drive of equal size, what's the best utility to clone everything from drive to the other? Back in the day we used Norton Ghost, but I haven't kept up on this sort of thing.

Ghost, Paragon or Acronis should be fine for that type of stuff.

Clonezilla is a free option, also Seagate offers their own cloning software as well.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
That Seagate tool worked amazingly.. thanks for saving the day.

BorderPatrol posted:

Ghost, Paragon or Acronis should be fine for that type of stuff.

Clonezilla is a free option, also Seagate offers their own cloning software as well.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Goncyn posted:

NVIDIA offers the Quadro NVS 420 in x1 and x16 interfaces. When driving four 1280x1024 monitors with this card, is there an advantage to the x16 interface? Does normal office-type stuff times four monitors use more than x1 bandwidth? I'm not sure how to figure this out, and none of the product literature enlightens me. (Nor have other forums, I'm hoping there's enough concentrated awesome here that someone knows the answer.)

For reference:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_quadro_nvs_420_us.html

If you are just doing normal 2D office tasks, 1 PCI-E lane is fine.
As a matter of fact, any PCI-E video card can be put into a 1x PCI-E slot! You can cut out a hole in the pins if the video card is cheaper than the mobo, or cut out the back of the PCI-E slot plastic if the mobo is cheaper than the video card.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

~Coxy posted:

As a matter of fact, any PCI-E video card can be put into a 1x PCI-E slot! You can cut out a hole in the pins if the video card is cheaper than the mobo, or cut out the back of the PCI-E slot plastic if the mobo is cheaper than the video card.

Why you would want to do this, however, is beyond me.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Yeah, I would rather enjoy the flexibility of using any 'size' PCI-E card (1x, 4x, 8x, 16x) in a 16x or 8x slot, instead of cutting my goddamn video card what the gently caress

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

KillHour posted:

Why you would want to do this, however, is beyond me.

At the consumer level, PCIe x1 video cards carry a silly price premium - a $40 card with an x16 connector is $100 for the exact same thing in x1. If you want to add another video card to your system (say, for a multimonitor setup), but don't have a free x16 slot, buying a cheap x1 card and trimming it down is an option.

Of course, in the sort of situation where it makes sense to buy a Quadro in the first place, it's a bad idea. However, if you're the sort of person who enjoys loving with this stuff anyway, it's a potential solution for an uncommon problem.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
Is there not a riser sort of thing that would adapt x16 to x1? I would assume somebody would have made something like that by now.

edit: Something like this - hell, you could just buy one of these and cut off the relevant section on the motherboard-facing area, couldn't you? That way if you gently caress up, you've ruined a $12 riser, instead of a motherboard or video card?

Srebrenica Surprise fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 15, 2010

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

Is there not a riser sort of thing that would adapt x16 to x1? I would assume somebody would have made something like that by now.

They do exist, although they're pretty overpriced, too, at more than $10 for a bit of PCB with a PCIe connector on it. There are also mounting concerns. You're limited to low-profile stuff, although that's probably not a problem with cheap video cards. More importantly, if you've got any kind of significant weight on the card itself (say, from the chunky passive heatsinks that are fairly popular in that price range), it's sitting on a fairly long lever arm out from that dinky little PCIe x1 slot.

Of course, trimming your video card to fit is still an inherently silly thing to do. However, in some uncommon circumstances, it at least approaches "not quite as wacky an idea as you might think."

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Alternately you can get a soldering iron or other small hot piece of metal and melt a notch at the end of the plasic on the motherboard PCI-E 1x slot. Both card and slot are still usable later on.

JustAnother Fat Guy
Dec 22, 2009

BorderPatrol posted:

Alternately you can get a soldering iron or other small hot piece of metal and melt a notch at the end of the plasic on the motherboard PCI-E 1x slot. Both card and slot are still usable later on.

I have personally done this and it does work, one thing, be VERY loving careful where you put the soldering iron, you melt the motherboard solder and you are in for a world of trouble and a friendly :fuckoff: from the RMA department.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I just bought a Spinpoint F3 and I want to clone my current drive's content's onto the new one. Can anyone recommend a good cloning tool for Win7?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
headlight on a northbound train

~Coxy posted:

Thanks. Just to be clear, this is true even if that single card on a single lane is driving four monitors? Also, do you mind if I ask why? I totally failed at Googling information about video card bus bandwidth usage, and I'd like to know how you know x1 is enough.

• Locked thread