Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

mezzir posted:

After three 80%-done remixes of Chromeo - Night By Night that for whatever reason just didn't work out, I think I've finally hit on something.

Fun as always.

I just started remixing "The Way I Are" last night:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Oiled and Ready posted:

http://www.tindeck.com/listen/oibf

CHACHING!

OK I massively redid this, I think it sounds good now, can anyone comment? I think it still has a little bit of that "made in ableton" sound but that could just be because I listened to it a shitton.

edit: errr newer version

Oiled and Ready fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 1, 2010

SpaghettiShaq
Aug 24, 2004

SwissDonkey posted:

That's a pretty sweet groove, and whatever instrument you used for the bass sounds pretty good. What you need to learn though is to implement band pass filters and some sidechaining. They make a huge difference make sounds stand out rather than be all muddled together. When I learned it (not that long ago) the quality of my music just shot up. Your song has potential, but it needs some pretty serious mixing. Stick with it, because it looks like you're pretty good at composing.

Thanks for the feedback man. I find the song still a bit messy, like you said muddled together. Having a real hard time getting the sound right, but I gues that means I just need to read more tutorials :)

E1M5
Feb 6, 2007
So I think I'm going to bite the bullet and just buy a midi keyboard. What's the general consensus for $100-$150 range keyboards?

I'm thinking about the Oxygen http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/M-Audio-Oxygen-25-USB-MIDI-Controller?sku=423007 (I use FL Studio 9 if that helps). Would i be better off getting something with at least 49 keys?

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

That depends on how you're going to want to use it. If you're just going to be figuring out chords and ideas that you will later program in a midi editor then 25 keys will be fine. If you're going to want to record and play entire pieces then you will find the limit very restrictive.

E1M5
Feb 6, 2007
Yeah, I'm probably going to be using it for constructing basic melodies & chords, and doing minimal recording (if any) with it.

KaosPV
Sep 25, 2007
Mediterranean schizo

Oiled and Ready posted:

OK I massively redid this, I think it sounds good now, can anyone comment? I think it still has a little bit of that "made in ableton" sound but that could just be because I listened to it a shitton.

edit: errr newer version

I kept waiting for the beat to start grooving. Either it's too ambient or avant-garde for my taste, or it sounds too much like an intro more than a song... You need to balance your levels, because the lead masks the rest of the instruments. Also, that clap sounds too soft and doesn't carry the beat, that coupled with the syncopated kick gives the impression (at least to me) of being an intro and not an actual song. Anyway, it doesn't "sound ableton". Lots of different artists use Ableton and manage to get very diverse sounds so don't worry about that.

I'm trying to produce some italo-disco inspired tracks, don't know if I'm finding my way or what. This is an example, I'd appreciate feedback guys:

http://www.goear.com/listen/4a10010/Plena-de-seny-Deep2one

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...
I'm 12 years old and what is this

Project Lithium
Dec 24, 2003

by angerbeet

SwissDonkey posted:

That's a pretty sweet groove, and whatever instrument you used for the bass sounds pretty good. What you need to learn though is to implement band pass filters and some sidechaining. They make a huge difference make sounds stand out rather than be all muddled together. When I learned it (not that long ago) the quality of my music just shot up. Your song has potential, but it needs some pretty serious mixing. Stick with it, because it looks like you're pretty good at composing.

I know a bit about sidechaining, but not much about using band pass filters for mixing. Did you just learn by playing around, or is there a website/book that may help?

Edit:

mezzir posted:

After three 80%-done remixes of Chromeo - Night By Night that for whatever reason just didn't work out, I think I've finally hit on something.

Both my girlfriend and I wanted to tell you that we thought this was awesome.

Project Lithium fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 3, 2010

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

KaosPV posted:

I kept waiting for the beat to start grooving. Either it's too ambient or avant-garde for my taste, or it sounds too much like an intro more than a song... You need to balance your levels, because the lead masks the rest of the instruments. Also, that clap sounds too soft and doesn't carry the beat, that coupled with the syncopated kick gives the impression (at least to me) of being an intro and not an actual song. Anyway, it doesn't "sound ableton". Lots of different artists use Ableton and manage to get very diverse sounds so don't worry about that.

I tried to take your advice, and some of the advice of a few friends I showed it to...the advice that it sounds like an intro is actually really good because I noticed it as soon as you mentioned it. Getting rid of the syncopated kick helped a lot i think, let me know what you think.

Really diggin' this, I like the interplay between the two panned synths, and the way you use the cutoff on your bass is really well done, the bass is usually pretty static in italo and I think it helped modernize it a lot...is that effect that I think is a vocoder, a vocoder?

E1M5
Feb 6, 2007

E1M5 posted:

So I think I'm going to bite the bullet and just buy a midi keyboard. What's the general consensus for $100-$150 range keyboards?

I'm thinking about the Oxygen http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/M-Audio-Oxygen-25-USB-MIDI-Controller?sku=423007 (I use FL Studio 9 if that helps). Would i be better off getting something with at least 49 keys?

Just wanted to say that I picked up an Oxygen 49, since it was on sale at guitar center for $120. No regrets at all, it's absolutely wonderful, but now I need a bigger desk haha.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

I was listening to Ott earlier this week and got inspired to write this. Let me know what you guys think.

reversefungi fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 5, 2010

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Trying to try less pop-oriented stuff, more club music and whatnot

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop

JACKIN OFF FLAT ERIC

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Symphonic sort of thing. I used some generic breaks and cartoon samples whatnot.

I have to say, I'm sort of nervous of posting this here with all the actual musicians :ohdear:

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

Washed Out clone/Chillwave

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

Oiled and Ready posted:

I just put this on my mp3 player.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Think this bitch is bout done finally, opinions?

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force
This one is a bit rough around the edges, but I'm pretty happy with it considering it's a decently large departure from my normal fare. I'd love to hear some thoughts...

Ralconn
Aug 2, 2006

Oiled and Ready posted:

That track is freaking awesome. I really like the use of the fader and it cutting the vocal track in and out.

Ralconn fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 8, 2010

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

Ralconn posted:

That track is freaking awesome. I really like the use of the fader and it cutting the vocal track in and out.

Thanks, I'm glad you like it! Here's the updated version...its a lot less repetitive, some people ive shown it to actually like the first better and I'm on the fence about that myself...

EDIT: And yeah, the vocal is sidechained to an invisible 4/4 kick drum, I tried sidechaining it to the actual kick but it sounded wonky.

Oiled and Ready fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 8, 2010

unSavory
Sep 26, 2004
fellow

mezzir posted:

Think this bitch is bout done finally, opinions?

I started playing this and another goon and I both went "Holy gently caress yes!" simultaneously.

Only issue I see is the background synth sounding a little too tinny at points, but that's a very slight issue.

moonduck posted:

This one is a bit rough around the edges, but I'm pretty happy with it considering it's a decently large departure from my normal fare. I'd love to hear some thoughts...

This is chill as gently caress, I love it. The WAH WAH sound gets a little old by the time it comes in after the break though, maybe try switching that sound up a bit to add a little flair to the end of the tune?

Cobweb Heart posted:

Symphonic sort of thing. I used some generic breaks and cartoon samples whatnot.

I have to say, I'm sort of nervous of posting this here with all the actual musicians

I'll try to help a bit, but Ampleforth in the review thread was right.

We'll start with the good. The layout here isn't an issue. And I mean at all. The tune is composed well from that standpoint. For example, the points at which the breaks come in and subside are awfully compelling and fun. However, now the not so good. The sounds being used won't cut it as a finished product. It sounds like you took the stock midi sounds from a Yamaha keyboard, played five minutes of notes (most of which sound decent, but skip the accidentals) and then added some breakbeats (which were actually pretty cool!) Some better VST sounds would go a LONG way toward making this sound like a respectable, complete song. To help us help you, let us know what kind of software and hardware you're using so we know how to assist with the acquisition of better sounds.

The run down:
For starters, get rid of any notes that aren't in the original key of the song. Now have a listen, doesn't that sound nice? You can keep some of them for dramatic effect (turnarounds, transitions, etc) but when they appear in the bulk of the song, without decent off-key harmonies from the other instruments things start to sound weird.

Next, remove the cartoon samples for the most part. Similar to the out of key notes, they'll work great in transitions and between parts, but not as instrument sounds themselves. If you want to keep them more prominent, maybe choose some different samples altogether, that aren't so off-camber with the rest of the instruments, or that you could splice up and use repetitively to boost the beat factor.

Then, depending on the software/hardware you have at your disposal, redo the instrument sounds for the keyboards, the flat midi drums, and the stock sound effects. There are lots of free VSTs and Audio Units available on the internet. Check out the Synth VST thread for more information on that.

You've obviously got some sort of ear for music, or the song wouldn't even sound this okay. Music is hard work, and takes a lot of patience and experience to do well. Keep at it, take the poo poo and the criticism and you'll get better.

unSavory fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Apr 8, 2010

mrpeaches
Jan 12, 2005
A little older, but I guess I'll drop this off here:

Any comments?

A Good Critique
Jul 21, 2008

by I Ozma Myself
This is a rough idea that I came up with last night and I'm not sure whether to pursue it or not. When I listen to it I get the feeling that it's just bland.

Comments? Criticism? Abuse?

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

mrpeaches posted:

A little older, but I guess I'll drop this off here:

Any comments?

It sounds like it's a bit distorted, it's pretty buzzy. Other than that, it's very good. I dig the vocoder :coal:

A Good Critique posted:

This is a rough idea that I came up with last night and I'm not sure whether to pursue it or not. When I listen to it I get the feeling that it's just bland.

Comments? Criticism? Abuse?

Nah, man, I dig it.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

unSavory posted:

For starters, get rid of any notes that aren't in the original key of the song. Now have a listen, doesn't that sound nice? You can keep some of them for dramatic effect (turnarounds, transitions, etc) but when they appear in the bulk of the song, without decent off-key harmonies from the other instruments things start to sound weird.

First off, thanks a ton for the feedback, your whole post helps me a lot. :)

I use MODPlug Tracker to make music, so all of my melodies are just arranged, rather than actually played in real time. Revealing my complete ignorance of basic music facts: how do I figure out what key the melodies are in?

For reference, the song begins with a set of trumpets, which simply go up and down in octave (C5, C4), then (D#5, A#3). After correcting the pitch of the samples (lowering by one note), the beginning sounds like this:

Click here to listen to motm (v2beginning).mp3

Is this the sort of thing? Were you even referring to these parts? :ohdear:

I don't have any better instrument sounds or anything yet, but I found some nice free VSTs that might sound good.

Again, thanks bunches for replying, and sorry for the retardation displayed in this reply.

unSavory
Sep 26, 2004
fellow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zm9-YtDGqA

It's a long rear end video (20+ minutes) but is extremely helpful. If you can't determine what key any song is in at any time after watching this then something is wrong. :)

And yeah I was sort of referring to those parts, but the rest of the tune as well. It sounds better now, but get on finding some VSTs to play with.

almostfearless
Aug 1, 2003

Inspiral, Coalescence, Ringdown
Hey, long time-lurker and first-time poster in this thread.

I've been learning to use Reason the past few years on a crappy M-Audio Oxygen8 V2 MIDI controller. I've reached the point where I'm ready to upgrade, but I'm not sure where to go from here. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

almostfearless posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Well, you could get a new DAW (probably Ableton). Or you could try to find a deal on a hardware synth that you could incorporate into Reason, which would also act as a new midi controller in most cases. I guess it really depends on how much you are willing to spend upgrading and what direction you want to be going in musically.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Hurrrr meant to post this here last night

Meatsplosion
Oct 25, 2006

+3 Meat Elemental
cue the lasers
http://soundcloud.com/simon_nelson/sputnik

Mr. Mojangles
Dec 15, 2005

I got a coupon with my audio interface from Native Instruments and I get to download a free softsynth from them. Wich one should I get? I'm thinking Massive. I'm into House/Dance-music and stuff.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

almostfearless posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Monitor speakers and room treatment. You'll listen to your older stuff, and in the worst case, you'll have to do it all over again.

Mr. Mojangles posted:

I got a coupon with my audio interface from Native Instruments and I get to download a free softsynth from them. Wich one should I get? I'm thinking Massive. I'm into House/Dance-music and stuff.

If you get Reaktor, you'll get lots of synths (but they aren't necessarily that good - old oscillator/filter models etc, plus people's weird ideas about interfaces). If you get FM8, you'll get a really nice range of sounds but the interface will most likely frustrate you a lot. So yeah - Massive.

Get the demo version of each so you can be certain of your decision.

Blinn
Mar 24, 2005

I just put an hour into this; dubstep with a love of tritones

Is this the right kinda feel?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Mr. Mojangles posted:

Massive is one of my favorite synths both in terms of usability and sounding good. Awesome UI/modulation setup and some excellently punchy/exciting sounds if you're into dancey/electonic stuff.

Absynth is also excellent but probably better suited to more abstract/exotic sounds.

Reaktor is a pretty niche appeal and FM8 is one of the most notoriously difficult synths to program (though capable of some awesome sounds).

Like Yoozer said, check out some demos but Massive basically gets my vote too.

unSavory
Sep 26, 2004
fellow

Blinn posted:

I just put an hour into this; dubstep with a love of tritones

Is this the right kinda feel?

Definitely on the mark. I'd maybe switch up the lead synth sound. It slides like a mono, but rings like a poly, and it's quite confusing.

Good work though. You nailed the bass, that sound is heat.

Mr. Mojangles
Dec 15, 2005

Ended up with Massive. Thanks for suggestions.

Currently fiddlin' around with stuff. This is the first softsynth I've had that actually costs money, so I'm pretty excited.

Mr. Mojangles fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 15, 2010

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
Good choice, Massive is my favorite NI softsynth.

Mr. Mojangles
Dec 15, 2005

Now to find drum samples... It sucks that most good VSTs I find are for Windows. I really wanted to try out Drumatic.

What drum-VSTs do I want for a mac? Or do I just start scourging for samples?

trill rear end posted:

JACKIN OFF FLAT ERIC

This is really fuckin' good. REALLY like the drums. Very unusual for this type of music I think? I'm pretty much blown away by all the talent and knowledge coming from people here.

Mr. Mojangles fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 16, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Duck Sauce needs to get off their asses and release Barbra Streisand or else I'ma make this into a full track and release that poo poo:

• Locked thread