Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

Penpal posted:

had a SUPER
BIG
loving
ANNOYING
facebook thing with a douche friend of mine, concerning this exact thing. I really only consider him a friend because he's another photographer, and they're rare around here.

Click this if you want to read the entire thing, I'm Kevin and he's Matthew (matteo).

He has his middle name set to "fixie" because he loves Fixed Gears so much. Yeah, he's "that" guy.

Dont start a flame war my friend. My friend. My friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Penpal posted:

had a SUPER
BIG
loving
ANNOYING
facebook thing with a douche friend of mine, concerning this exact thing. I really only consider him a friend because he's another photographer, and they're rare around here.

Click this if you want to read the entire thing, I'm Kevin and he's Matthew (matteo).

He has his middle name set to "fixie" because he loves Fixed Gears so much. Yeah, he's "that" guy.

I was going to write a loong post about your conversation, but I'll just make two points:

(1) Don't be so fast to discount radical changes in design -- eventually, one of those crazy changes is going to actually work better than what's already out there, and everything from then on will be different. The only reason that we use 35mm film (and that all our lenses are designed for that format and all our cameras are built around the form factor of a 35mm canister and strip of film) is because Oskar Barnack had the crazy idea to use movie film for still images.

(2) Your friends are douchebags. Both Mr. Fixie, and Mr. "despite not owning a 5DII, I will trash its mirror blackout time and shutter lag, neither of which are fast enough for ME."

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
What was that thing with the bicycles? I laughed my rear end off but I don't think he was joking.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

dude you need to get better friends, and this is coming from someone who has a friend who seriously thinks canon is a super evil company.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I refuse to participate in the evil Japanese photographic hegemony so I only shoot with my own cameras.

What do you think?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

tuyop posted:

I refuse to participate in the evil Japanese photographic hegemony so I only shoot with my own cameras.

What do you think?

I have seen this camera in person and it is drat cool looking, also some cool photos from it.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

tuyop posted:

What was that thing with the bicycles? I laughed my rear end off but I don't think he was joking.

he is crazy about fads and things. Last summer all of a sudden he had bought a fixed gear, changed his name to "Matt Fixie Reynolds", had a Fixed Gear brand cap, and talks about his "pure" ride, front brakes aren't pure, etc. Also, over last semester, he would constantly update everyone on his sleep cycle; I'm too lazy to look it up, but it's where you sleep for 3 hours a night then nap twice during the day. His updates would always be tagged with poo poo like #betterthan8hoursleepsheeple or #productivitywithlesssleep! and constantly go on about how much work he was getting done

When he gave that up it was so easy to tear into him.

Orange Lime: yeah, I agree with you completely. It's just... you know, when an idiot friend of yours, is... talking? And you don't like it and you just say things? I was saying things.

MAN

NEWFOUNDLAND IS SO TINY
SOME OF YOU GUYS SHOULD JUST COME OVER HERE TO HANG

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Penpal posted:

he is crazy about fads and things. Last summer all of a sudden he had bought a fixed gear, changed his name to "Matt Fixie Reynolds", had a Fixed Gear brand cap, and talks about his "pure" ride, front brakes aren't pure, etc. Also, over last semester, he would constantly update everyone on his sleep cycle; I'm too lazy to look it up, but it's where you sleep for 3 hours a night then nap twice during the day. His updates would always be tagged with poo poo like #betterthan8hoursleepsheeple or #productivitywithlesssleep! and constantly go on about how much work he was getting done

When he gave that up it was so easy to tear into him.

Orange Lime: yeah, I agree with you completely. It's just... you know, when an idiot friend of yours, is... talking? And you don't like it and you just say things? I was saying things.

MAN

NEWFOUNDLAND IS SO TINY
SOME OF YOU GUYS SHOULD JUST COME OVER HERE TO HANG

I really want to go to Newfoundland and take pictures of it there! I live in Halifax now.

Also I did that sleep thing second year for about a month to write some essays. I found it very isolating because nobody else was on my schedule.

And I had no idea that a fixed gear was a bike or that it was a fad. :ohdear:
That's still kind of funny though.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

tuyop posted:

I really want to go to Newfoundland and take pictures of it there! I live in Halifax now.

Also I did that sleep thing second year for about a month to write some essays. I found it very isolating because nobody else was on my schedule.

And I had no idea that a fixed gear was a bike or that it was a fad. :ohdear:
That's still kind of funny though.

I am really only getting into doing landscapes, now, but I'm on the east end of the island; the best stuff is out west (Gros Morne, holy fuuuuck).

Also, if anyone was wondering wtf my profile picture was, it's me. Doing this.

shake your face. it's fun, and looks like you're being punched by an invisible rear end in a top hat

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

orange lime posted:

:saddowns: "I got so drunk I set my camera to shoot JPEG instead of RAW"
I handed my camera to some random guy, showed him zoom, then manual focus because AF was hunting like crazy in the dark bar, and he got two decent pictures of us. Yeah, I got a stranger in a bar to figure out manual focus while drunk.

Penpal posted:

Everyone who tries polyphasic sleep acts superior about it for a few weeks until they realize that they can't do something so utterly contrary to what two million years as a species and hundreds of millions before that prepared us for. That or they realize it's hosed them up when someone mistakes them for narcoleptic.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 13, 2010

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

GWBBQ posted:

I handed my camera to some random guy, showed him zoom, then manual focus because AF was hunting like crazy in the dark bar, and he got two decent pictures of us. Yeah, I got a stranger in a bar to figure out manual focus while drunk.

Bah. That's how I do half of my concert photos.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
By giving your camera to strangers?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Reichstag posted:

By giving your camera to strangers?

Well, manual focus while drunk anyway.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
I'm only 5'10" so sometimes I follow around this really tall guy I know and give him my camera for a little while. He gets shots I could never get.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

HPL posted:

Well, manual focus while drunk anyway.
Manual focus while drunk crew :ssh::hf::toot:

DaJe
Feb 3, 2008

dunkman posted:

I'm only 5'10" so sometimes I follow around this really tall guy I know and give him my camera for a little while. He gets shots I could never get.

I just read over this really quickly at first, and just saw that you follow some tall guy to take pictures for you. I just imagined this person following around someone much taller than them, just wherever they go. Out to dinner, to the park, to the bar, and then just handing them the camera and asking them to take a picture. I suppose I'm easily amused.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Someone needs to invent an eyecup that has camera in it that you can slide on and wear some video glasses so you can hold your camera way above your head and focus.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Get a medium format camera with a waist level finder. Works perfectly for that!

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

tuyop posted:

What do you think?

It looks like something out of a David Cronenberg movie.

Also:

http://gizmodo.com/5515136/swankolab-iphone-app-lets-you-play-around-with-dark-room-chemicals-all-over-again

iPhone app that lets you work darkroom magic on your photos. :(

My Flickr Page! :nws:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hey I like shakeitphoto, the fake Polaroid app.

It's good fun. :)

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
45 Pages of reading on depth of field and bokeh from Zeiss

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
So is film at all like digital where you can take like 150 shots in a couple of hours and have only eight that are anything but mediocre and only three that are worth showing anybody? Isn't that insanely expensive?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

tuyop posted:

So is film at all like digital where you can take like 150 shots in a couple of hours and have only eight that are anything but mediocre and only three that are worth showing anybody? Isn't that insanely expensive?

Yup. The more I shoot, the fewer final cuts I make. When I started shooting I'd get a roll back from the lab and be in love with 20+ out of 36.
These days if I'm shooting a model for a particular project, I count on getting one final shot to post in my portfolio. It's expensive but not insanely so. It doesn't really matter though, it's my chosen format and the one where the final product best reflects my desired look.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

tuyop posted:

Not really. With film you take more time on shots and make sure things are the way you want before you actually take the photo. With digital, there's more of a sense of taking photos for the sake of taking photos. If you're the kind of photographer that comes home at the end of the day with hundreds of shots and is only happy with a very low percentage of them, shooting film for a while would be a great way to tighten that up.

Digital is definitely better for stuff like concerts and sports because you can fire off a burst during an exciting sequence and take your pick of the results whereas with film in similar situations it requires massive amounts of either luck or anticipation.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

tuyop posted:

I know when I started with film I had alot more keepers, but that's because I was always aware of how many rolls I had and the cost of buying more. I can't recommend it enough for improving your photography though, when I got my first camera (nikon d40) I sort of pottered around firing randomly and got a few okay street shots, I never thought I was any good but I was impressed, and sort of grew into a false sense of security, then when I switched to film it all changed. Film forces you to learn the craft alot more, well it did for me anyway.

Plus it rids you of that nagging "well my camera is only 6 mp, where as his or her camera is 12mp so my photos wont be as good until i get that 12mp camera" which can haunt alot of beginners, and serious photographers aswell I suppose. I bought an A1 and shot tri x, there's no excuses then, your shooting with the same film as all the past greats so you have to come up with another way to improve.

plus when you add it up the cost it is tiny.

Canon A1 with 50mm £70
1 Roll of trix £2.70 x 100 = £270

7D £1200

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

tuyop posted:

Most people are pickier about what they shot with film so your keeper rate might go up. However you might be more inclined to bracket exposure or subtle changes in composition if you aren't used to shooting film.

I shot 5 rolls of 120 the other week and had roughly 7 photos I was happy with. A few more were better after some post.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Maybe this is because I shot medium format for so long, but I don't take many frames on digital. I have been trying to make myself shoot more options per setup because this is a retarded way to shoot but I have to make myself do it. Even where I'm on a shoot doing stuff all day I rarely fill up more than one card.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

brad industry posted:

Maybe this is because I shot medium format for so long, but I don't take many frames on digital. I have been trying to make myself shoot more options per setup because this is a retarded way to shoot but I have to make myself do it. Even where I'm on a shoot doing stuff all day I rarely fill up more than one card.

Depends on what you're doing. When I'm doing a model shoot, I don't take very many photos. When I'm doing landscapes, I don't take many photos. When I'm doing a concert with good lighting, I usually take a lot of photos, but not an excessive amount. I find that I take the most photos when lighting conditions are very difficult because it's the kind of thing where I shoot in bursts and then pick the clearest one of the sequence because I'm shooting at such slow shutter speeds.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I'm also one of those that doesn't take a lot of photos, even though I don't shoot film at all. I just work on knowing when I've got it, and not taking more than necessary. I think by having an end-goal in mind, it really helps. Plus, who wants to sort through tons of photos anyways? (half of which are the same anyways) I feel like being efficient is important part of getting work done, and I feel like the people who take thousands of photos often aren't very sure what they want exactly.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I take alot of photos. I'm still figuring out when to use what iso/shutter speed/lens etc, so everytime I'm using my camera, I'm trying out different settings and constantly reviewing and zooming in on the screen and then doing it all over again with another lens. I'd almost feel like I wasn't doing the best I could if I didn't at this point.

It'd be nice if one day I had the confidence and skill to only fire off a few shots to get what I want, but I don't see that happening anytime relatively soon.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

ease posted:

I take alot of photos. I'm still figuring out when to use what iso/shutter speed/lens etc, so everytime I'm using my camera, I'm trying out different settings and constantly reviewing and zooming in on the screen and then doing it all over again with another lens. I'd almost feel like I wasn't doing the best I could if I didn't at this point.

It'd be nice if one day I had the confidence and skill to only fire off a few shots to get what I want, but I don't see that happening anytime relatively soon.

Actually, this is kind of me. I'm still at the stage where sometimes my camera is a bit arcane to me and if I see a good shot I'm absolutely terrified that I've blown the focus or metered wrong or hosed up the DOF or something.

But sometimes I get some shots that I like. :)

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

I'd really like to think that since I started using my 4x5 I've been thinking more before taking a picture. Partly because it feels like a huge (but satisfying) effort to develop and then scan the photos. However, when using the digital I'm still taking way too many useless shots because gently caress it, who cares.

DaJe
Feb 3, 2008
I just often times find it hard to get any shots I like at all. Sometimes it's hard for me to be inspired enough to find something interesting to shoot. But I know, I should be able to make any scene interesting. But it's still hard for me to find anything to deem worthy enough.

I also need to experiment a bit more. Recently I just discovered how much better my 50mm f/1.8 prime lens is compared to my lovely little kit lens. I want to try shooting only prime photos right now, to help give me a better sense of composing the shot, where I have to move the camera without being able to zoom in or out. And also it gives me a limit with what I have to work with. Since I also can't zoom out, I have to learn to work with the crop I have.

And that's really my biggest issue about that lens. With not having a full frame camera, that 50mm lens becomes equivalent to something like a 75mm lens. I just like my kit lens because of how much of a wider angle I can get with it and how versatile it is. But I'm starting to really notice how better of a quality shots with my prime lens are. If I was able to have something like a 20mm prime lens, I'd use that all the time. I also imagine something like that would cost me quite a bit which I can't even come close to affording at the moment.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
When I had a cropped camera I pretty much only shot with a 28mm prime. That is a good lens for that format, slightly wide of a normal perspective.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

brad industry posted:

When I had a cropped camera I pretty much only shot with a 28mm prime. That is a good lens for that format, slightly wide of a normal perspective.

I agree -- that's pretty much the perfect framing for so many shots. On a 135-format camera it's about 40-45mm. I shoot with a 35mm because I can't find a good fast 40 that fits on a Canon SLR, but someday I will.

[e] holy poo poo how did I not find this before in my googling? Where can I get one and how much?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/363161-REG/Voigtlander_45BAE_40mm_f_2_SL_Manual.html

DaJe
Feb 3, 2008

brad industry posted:

This 28mm f/2.8 doesn't seem bad at all http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-28mm-Nikkor-Digital-Cameras/dp/B00005LE71 especially not for the price on amazon listed for $270. That doesn't seem like an unreasonable price at all to me. That might just be the thing I need.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
It's kind of weird for me with digital. I can shoot all day long on a film camera with just a 50mm or 28mm prime, but with digital I've got to bring two or three lenses along. It's not the camera, it's me.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
/\/\/\ For some reason I enjoy shooting so much more with just a 50mm than when I bring my 17-50. It's like I accept the limitations of the gear and stop grappling with it so much. Except for that time I brought it to the skate park, that was a poor lens choice.

Sometimes I need that wide angle, though. Also my Canon 28-135 f/3.5 is barely useful to me at all and I'm thinking of selling it, especially since it goes for like 400 dollars. That'll bring the cost of my 40D down to 250 dollars. :)

DaJe posted:

This 28mm f/2.8 doesn't seem bad at all http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-28mm-Nikkor-Digital-Cameras/dp/B00005LE71 especially not for the price on amazon listed for $270. That doesn't seem like an unreasonable price at all to me. That might just be the thing I need.

That's a bit slow for a prime, isn't it?

tuyop fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 13, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

brad industry posted:

I´m the same. I had a shoot this afternoon and I spent longer setting up than I did taking photos. I think I took 20, and I could have stopped at 10. It´s definitely a byproduct of having a strong vision going in, and being familiar with your tools. Adding a light meter also cut down on my shots since I don´t chimp anymore to get the lighting ratio right.