Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Any tips for Devil May Cry (the first one)? I'm up to the first boss and he's kicking my rear end.

Also, any tips for Drakengard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Twitch posted:

Any tips for Devil May Cry (the first one)? I'm up to the first boss and he's kicking my rear end.

DMC is basically all about getting comfortable performing combos and rolling out of them. I know that sounds stupid, but effectively each boss is a test of how comfortable you are at repeating their damage pattern, sort of like a shoot em up.

You might want to check out Accounting Nightmare's LPs for good ideas for how to handle bosses. She's also handy because she collects every hidden blue orb which makes the game a whole lot less frustrating because you don't have to wonder where exactly you missed one.

As for Drakengard, don't play it. If you must, the Elf-Woman thing is the best partner, her magic attack is murderous on enemies and helps you mop up like no-ones business.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
How about Septerra Core? I bought it off of GOG last week and its pretty fun.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Best combo in DMC for the sword is attacking three times, pausing for a second, and then jamming on the attack button. If you do it properly Dante will do a thrusting attack multiple times. It pretty much stuns every monster and does a lot of damage in half the time it would take to start a new combo.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Twitch posted:

Can't help with dmc but with drakengard, seriously just don't play it. It's boring, repetitive horrible gameplay with boring repetitive environments. It does however have a fun storyline in a "WTF" way if you don't have to actually play all the poo poo thats in between. Just read dark id's lets play of it, he does everything in that game and gives you an idea of how much of a boring grindfest it is.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Twitch posted:

-Fast weapons that fire off a projectile for their combo finisher like Skald's Song and Flamberge are generally the best for fighting groups. Don't forget that you can quickly knock back an enemy by performing a jump attack.

-The dragon's dumb-fired fireballs are much stronger than her homing fireballs.

-As mentioned, Arioch is the best ally. Note that you have to charge your allies' magic attacks (hold Triangle) to get the full effect.

-Weapons don't gain a whole lot from leveling up, and later ones you find have better starting strength (they all have unique magic attacks though) so I suggest you play around with all of them, get most of them to level 2 because that doesn't take long, and only take the weapons you really like to the max level 4.

-For the sake of your sanity use gamefaqs to find all the weapons. I did and I have no regrets.

-gently caress da haters :colbert:

Edit: Oh yeah, recovering health. Your 17th combo hit (even if it's on a dead enemy) will net you a small green orb. You'll be rewarded with a bigger green orb on I think the 35th hit (FYI along with the area-knockback orbs along the way, you'll get a strength booster on the 100th combo hit allowing you to mow down enemies with ease for a limited time). Outside of a couple weapons' magic attacks and the occasional full-heal chest you can find in some levels, this is your only source of health recovery. Yet another reason why slower, more powerful weapons like maces tend to suck. You can often get a good bit of health back by wailing on a big enemy with one of your weaker weapons. Just remember to slip in a knock-back attack every few hits otherwise you'll get blocked and countered.

gigglefeimer fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 13, 2010

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Shame on me :aaaaa:

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 14, 2010

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Any starting tips for Way of the Samurai 3?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PrinnySquadron posted:

Any starting tips for Way of the Samurai 3?

Quite literally on the previous page, and never having played it I'm just regurgitating what they said.

If you want to unlock all the costume elements before you begin your journey to awesomeness, start the game, decline the fights eat a radish or other vegetable and bolt town. This gives you the vegetarian award and a ton of points towards the unlockables. Rinse repeat

Actual Gameplay:
Going on what they said it is very similar to previous Way of the Samurai games; Hard
What this means is don't be afraid to play on easy at first. Blows deal crazy damage and can sometimes be outright lethal. Get used to blocking and dodging while looking for openings. 3 introduces a push pull system. If the enemy is pushing, gaurd while pulling back on the thumbstick to make them stumble, if they are pulling swing into them to make them guard-break.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot
Way of the Samurai 3

21stCentury posted:

Okay, aside from the Vegetarian trick (don't do it, it's totally lame), here's a couple more tips!

Parrying is really useful. To parry, you need to block with R1 and stop blocking right as the attack ends. Parrying will make you glow yellow for a split second, will destabilize your opponent, might let you "match" the skill which means you'll auto-parry it and allows you to enter insta-kill mode against less experienced foes.

The easy way is to just press R1 a lot in fights. Do it fast enough and you'll at least block most of the attacks and only parry a couple times. Successful parries against most characters will let you insta-kill them with X and enter Chain-kill mode which will start a QTE as most other enemies will rush for you. Miss the QTE and you'll take important damage, so if your reflexes aren't that good, it's okay to stop the chain-kill by blocking.

Also, the little icon above your opponent's head is important. When it's red, he's pushing, when it's blue he's pulling. The push-pull thing is crucial if you want to survive. you push by doing a weak attack and pushing towards your opponent as he blocks and you pull by blocking and pulling back away from the enemy as you block. Pushing breaks guard and pulling makes the opponent stumble. if the opponent is pushing, pull.

Other important tip, while blocking, if you press the jump button and a direction, you'll take a step quickly and dodge. It's pretty important to keep that in mind.

Aside from that, remember that you lose Samurai points for villainous acts. So far it seems to boil down to attacking unarmed people outside of missions telling you to attack unarmed people and cutting off women's dresses (apparently it can be done).

So, yeah, have fun, it's a fun game.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

There isn't anything in the wiki about Brutal Legend, so any tips will be appreciated.

ABout the only thing I know about the game, is that even though some parts come off like a RTS, you can't play them like one. I think you need to be in there mixing it up with the troops.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Orvin posted:

There isn't anything in the wiki about Brutal Legend, so any tips will be appreciated.

ABout the only thing I know about the game, is that even though some parts come off like a RTS, you can't play them like one. I think you need to be in there mixing it up with the troops.

Pretty much. If you aren't attacking you're mustering your troops preparing to attack. Once you buy the first weapons upgrade for the deuce there's little point in actually being on foot while in large battles except to use the facemelter or other power (just make sure you aren't surrounded or you'll die fast). You can also use the deuce to attack the fan booths because they damage you on foot.

Also if you care about the concept art (and you should because it's really, really good!) then mark off the collectables as you get them or else you'll be super confused like I was and spend hours retreading old ground.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Brutal Legend: Nothing really stuck out as something you need to know beforehand, really. There wasn't really a point in the game where I felt like I missed something important.

The closest thing, I guess, would be:

In the RTS battles, solos and tag-team attacks are almost always more effective than axe swings and guitar attacks.

...But, even then. If you're on normal or easy, you needn't sweat that too much. You'll probably be fine anyway.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm probably going to be taunted unmercifully for this, but any tips for Super Mario 64? It won't really be the first time I've played it as I think I've rented it and played the DS version a little, but any advice would be much appreciated.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

gravyflood posted:

I'm probably going to be taunted unmercifully for this, but any tips for Super Mario 64? It won't really be the first time I've played it as I think I've rented it and played the DS version a little, but any advice would be much appreciated.

Almost none of the stars are hard to get, but there's a few that require unique techniques that are rather obtuse to figure out. You only need 70 to beat the game, so unless you're going for all 120, gently caress 'em.

Upstairs is a water-based level with a waterbug on the painting. You can change the height of the water depending on how high you jump into the painting.

The eyeball enemies can be killed by running circles around them.

You can get a lot of coins by running circles around wooden poles sticking out of the ground.

After the first ten stars or so, a beam of light will appear in the central castle area. Stand on the pad and look into it.

Tap A to swim faster.

In the basement there is a desert-themed level that doesn't have a painting. Just jump into one of the dead-end corridors.

Talk to the toads.

That's all I can think of. The game has aged pretty well, and be sure to check out galaxies too.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Olaf The Stout posted:

Almost none of the stars are hard to get, but there's a few that require unique techniques that are rather obtuse to figure out. You only need 70 to beat the game, so unless you're going for all 120, gently caress 'em.

Upstairs is a water-based level with a waterbug on the painting. You can change the height of the water depending on how high you jump into the painting.

The eyeball enemies can be killed by running circles around them.

You can get a lot of coins by running circles around wooden poles sticking out of the ground.

After the first ten stars or so, a beam of light will appear in the central castle area. Stand on the pad and look into it.

Tap A to swim faster.

In the basement there is a desert-themed level that doesn't have a painting. Just jump into one of the dead-end corridors.

Talk to the toads.

That's all I can think of. The game has aged pretty well, and be sure to check out galaxies too.

Thanks! I'm actually working my way through Galaxy now.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I could really use some Infinite Space pointers.

FalseShockWorker
Jan 28, 2009
I'm about to play Chrono Cross for the first time (I found it really cheap at a used video store), anything I should know going in? Mainly I'm worried about missable things, because given CC's reputation, I'm not sure I'll be up for a NG+.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FalseShockWorker posted:

I'm about to play Chrono Cross for the first time (I found it really cheap at a used video store), anything I should know going in? Mainly I'm worried about missable things, because given CC's reputation, I'm not sure I'll be up for a NG+.

Other than the usual out of the way treasure chests their aren't a lot of hidden dick move items.

1) Enemies exist on the dungeon, touching them engages. If you kill them they disappear and do not respawn until you leave the dungeon. Fighting does not give you xp, only the chance to randomly boost characters stats. Bosses give you stars which passively boost all characters stats. Therefore swapping characters can be done relatively freely and often. You will not collect even half of the max 99 stars on one play-through

2) If you want all the characters, or at least as many as you can get on a fresh run, you will need a guide. Cannot stress that enough.

3) The magic system is fairly unique. By attacking in combat, you build up ranks of spells. Every spell is slotted to a certain rank. Once you reach the rank you can cast any spell in that rank. Doing so will consume stamina and the spell but only for that battle. To build a little stamina attack, to build a bunch guard.

4) New game plus lets you end the game at any time and gives you an item which makes the game run at I think 2x normal speed.

5) If you want to make the best use of element trap spells (the ones where if you lay it out, and your enemy uses it the attack fails and you steal there spell) look at a strategy guide.

6) Its better than Chrono Trigger :colbert:

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Sylphosaurus posted:

I could really use some Infinite Space pointers.

I was kind of hoping that someone else would field this, as I need help too, but here's the only things I've really been able to figure out.

Pay close attention to which ship your fleet is firing at, you get huge accuracy penalties against ships on the enemy's backline, meaning you could waste a shot firing at something you can't hit. I'd also recommend changing the camera to look at the enemy's fleet rather than yours to make it easier to pay attention to color changes. If it changes color from yellow to green or red to yellow, don't bother using a barrage attack, since chances are good they just dodged. Similarly, if they've changed color to red, it is usually a good idea to dodge, as they might be about to fire off a barrage attack on you.

Read the help section in-game, it's really useful.

Keep a couple different saves. I've gotten myself into a position where I have to fight a fleet I don't stand a chance against, I can't leave to upgrade my ships, and even if I wanted to, there's nothing around for me to grind on in hopes that leveling up my crew might make a difference. I'm thankful I've been rotating saves as I'd be completely hosed otherwise, I've lost an hour of progress instead of having to start over completely.

ArchRanger fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 18, 2010

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

FalseShockWorker posted:

Also, in Chrono Cross, you literally cannot get everything in one playthrough. You need to play through the game at least 3 times to get all the characters. I can't remember how many endings there were either. There were at least 2, i think.

But, yeah, NG+ gives you a time manipulator that lets you speed up time.

Finally, random encounters won't give you poo poo stat-wise. You really don't need to grind levels in this game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FalseShockWorker posted:

About 1/4 into the game you'll be prompted if you want to help out a character who's injured or something. If you choose yes, something you'd expect to do given the linear nature of most JRPGs, your friendship will be rewarded with one of the most retarded characters in the game. If you choose no and be a total cold hearted rear end in a top hat, one of the best characters who can obtain one of the best weapons will be dropped on your lap.

Pissed me the gently caress off when I read about it years later.

Barudak posted:

6) Its better than Chrono Trigger

No.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

al-azad posted:

About 1/4 into the game you'll be prompted if you want to help out a character who's injured or something. If you choose yes, something you'd expect to do given the linear nature of most JRPGs, your friendship will be rewarded with one of the most retarded characters in the game. If you choose no and be a total cold hearted rear end in a top hat, one of the best characters who can obtain one of the best weapons will be dropped on your lap.
Yeah this is pretty much my only piece of advice for someone playing Chrono Cross who does not want to play through it multiple times to get each character.

Also: Fargo learns an ability that lets him steal. As soon as you can put him in your party and never let him leave. Use that ability on every boss if possible, especially the bosses that drop "Color Plates". They nullify elemental damage. You want a Black Plate in order to get the Mastermune; otherwise the fight is super difficult.

Getting the good ending is based upon how you fight the final boss. Don't worry, you can't lock yourself out of it, but a lot of people find it frustrating when in fact there's a super easy way to do it: Load up your party with every element in the lowest levels of your grid, then attack with physical attacks until you've maxed out your grid (level 8) on every character, then Defend until your stamina is maxed out on each character as well. At this point you can start the elemental sequence, and the boss will never get a chance to attack and you are 100% guaranteed to pull it off.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Anyone got any advise on Spider-Man: Web of Shadows or Darksiders?

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

enigmahfc posted:

Darksiders?

I'm on the middle of my first playthrough, the only advice I can give is that, on hard anyway, the Scythe is worthless, don't bother buying it, and get really, really good at dodging or you're going to be dying a lot.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

So, La Mulana. I know there's a wiki entry, but I have a question not addressed there.

Is everything you need to know to beat the game hinted at either in game or the manual? I was watching the DeceasedCrab LP and I swear I have no idea how he figured out some of those hidden wall spots or what ROM combination let you warp to back-side areas or what some of the items do.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 19, 2010

Zushio
May 8, 2008

ArchRanger posted:

I'm on the middle of my first playthrough, the only advice I can give is that, on hard anyway, the Scythe is worthless, don't bother buying it, and get really, really good at dodging or you're going to be dying a lot.

I disagree, Scythe is quite useful at crowd control and range management. I was also playing on the hardest difficulty, Apocalyptic, which makes the game fairly challenging as things now do a lot of damage. The gameplay is more like Devil May Cry in terms of combat style on that difficulty, enemies don't really block though.

Make sure to put in the code to get it for free, with the code you get a permanent effect of extra souls collected while using the scythe:

Enter the Pause Screen during gameplay and select "Options". Under Game Options select "Enter Code" from the menu. Enter "The Hollow Lord". At the store the scythe will now cost 0 souls.

If you need to keep away from an enemy and want to come in for a quick powerful hit the Dash + Heavy combo is fantastic, I was stuck at the miniboss on the broken section of highway until I figured out that move. When dealing with swarms of little dudes you can also do an area attack with it that usually kills in a hit or two if you buy the move.

It's rarely worth the effort to block heavily unless you're really good with the timing to activate a counter attack.

Make sure you fool around with new moves you can buy for the weapons, they really upgrade your combo potential.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Anything for Too Human?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ledneh posted:

So, La Mulana. I know there's a wiki entry, but I have a question not addressed there.

Is everything you need to know to beat the game hinted at either in game or the manual? I was watching the DeceasedCrab LP and I swear I have no idea how he figured out some of those hidden wall spots or what ROM combination let you warp to back-side areas or what some of the items do.

The manual has some hints but the entire game is based on random discovery and experimentation.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Ledneh posted:

I believe every puzzle has a hint hidden on a monument somewhere. A lot of them are cryptic and not always near the puzzle they relate to, so be prepared to take a lot of notes if you want to beat the game without spoilers. I assume you're just trying to complete it and not collect every ROM or beat Hell Temple. (The hints to reach Hell Temple are so cryptic I'm amazed anyone figured it out. They make sense in retrospect at least...)

As far as breakable walls go, the easy thing to do is to try attacking all of them. If you get the map ROMs, the ones that lead to hidden rooms should show up on there at least. If anything blasts you with lightning, you have to find a different way to open it. Otherwise if you get a dinging sound, go through your weapons until you find the right one.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Assassin's Creed 2, anyone?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

Raise the value of the villa as much as you can as soon as you can.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Miracon posted:

I believe every puzzle has a hint hidden on a monument somewhere. A lot of them are cryptic and not always near the puzzle they relate to, so be prepared to take a lot of notes if you want to beat the game without spoilers. I assume you're just trying to complete it and not collect every ROM or beat Hell Temple. (The hints to reach Hell Temple are so cryptic I'm amazed anyone figured it out. They make sense in retrospect at least...)

As far as breakable walls go, the easy thing to do is to try attacking all of them. If you get the map ROMs, the ones that lead to hidden rooms should show up on there at least. If anything blasts you with lightning, you have to find a different way to open it. Otherwise if you get a dinging sound, go through your weapons until you find the right one.

Blarg, I would love to play the game mostly because I love love love the music but I just have no patience for this variety of experimental gameplay anymore.

Oh well, thanks :(

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ledneh posted:

Blarg, I would love to play the game mostly because I love love love the music but I just have no patience for this variety of experimental gameplay anymore.

It's a really long game filled with trial and error but it's super fun. You can make it through most of the game without needing to look at a spoiler but there are some annoying areas especially the confusion maze. Finding out the secrets is pretty rewarding, though.

The Nicalis remake on the Wii looks good and hopefully they don't gently caress it up.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

al-azad posted:

It's a really long game filled with trial and error but it's super fun. You can make it through most of the game without needing to look at a spoiler but there are some annoying areas especially the confusion maze. Finding out the secrets is pretty rewarding, though.

The Nicalis remake on the Wii looks good and hopefully they don't gently caress it up.

I'm really hoping they make the hints a lot less vague in the remake (maybe as an optional vague) because seriously, it may be "old school" but there's a reason they don't design games like that anymore, it loving sucks.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm really hoping they make the hints a lot less vague in the remake (maybe as an optional vague) because seriously, it may be "old school" but there's a reason they don't design games like that anymore, it loving sucks.

Yeah, I guess. First thing that really stumped me was the "Pray before Udjat." The game doesn't tell you who or what Udjat is and you think it's the giant sphinx or statue or something but it actually means standing beneath a giant eye for 5 seconds or something. Haven't seen a puzzle that convoluted in a platformer since Simon's Quest's "Equip arbitrary item, kneel in specific spot." There's also a few moments where you can permanently gently caress yourself like going too far in the moon pyramid to reveal Anubis which causes him to spawn every where else which ironically prevents you from getting an item used to BEAT Anubis.

gently caress.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

I don't see how anyone can have probs with this one, but here are some tips:

• Don't buy anything just upgrade your villa with all the cash you have, at some point you will be able to buy everything
  • Don't fight with "mash-the-button-like-crazy" style, it's much easier to stay with your right-button pressed (defense) and wait for an opponent to make a move, then do a counter-attack for easy instakill; however, if there are opponents with halbers, kill them ASAP, because they can get through your defense; if you're fighting crusaders I loved this technique: select fists as your current weapon, that way you can steal their weapon when their attack and then you can oneshot crusader with his own axe as mostly everyone else
  • For easy money watch out for those guys that have arrow above them and screm "leave me alone", they usually carry 500+ coins; also the statues around your villa give some very easy money and you can find all of them as soon as you get there
  • If you have good reflexes, use dagger or even the hidden blade for counter-attack intstakills
  • When doing the assassination contracts, get up on the roofs and follow your target from there, it's easier
  • When chasing the guards in tombs, you can almost everytime throw knives at them for an easy kill

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Ledneh posted:

If nothing else, the La-Mulana wiki has a page with MP3s of the soundtrack, ripped from the jukebox program that comes with the game. Edit: I was still able to figure things out with minimal spoilers, even though it took a while. Then again, I really, really love exploration-based games. v:v:v (And agreed, the music is really awesome.)

al-azad posted:

There's also a few moments where you can permanently gently caress yourself like going too far in the moon pyramid to reveal Anubis which causes him to spawn every where else which ironically prevents you from getting an item used to BEAT Anubis.

gently caress.

Anubis isn't a major hassle; he only appears in a few rooms and can be killed the regular way. The Book of the Dead just prevents him from damaging you. There's also the fact that it's possible to prevent Anubis from ever appearing, which would make the Book of the Dead useless.

Miracon fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 20, 2010

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Miracon posted:

If nothing else, the La-Mulana wiki has a page with MP3s of the soundtrack, ripped from the jukebox program that comes with the game. Edit: I was still able to figure things out with minimal spoilers, even though it took a while. Then again, I really, really love exploration-based games. v:v:v (And agreed, the music is really awesome.)

Anubis isn't a major hassle; he only appears in a few rooms and can be killed the regular way. The Book of the Dead just prevents him from damaging you. There's also the fact that it's possible to prevent Anubis from ever appearing, which would make the Book of the Dead useless.

I haven't played the game in a while but I recall there being a very small window to kill him because he drains your health fast as poo poo. All I remember was going into that little side room near the beginning of the level and entering a secret tunnel or something and OOPS I OPENED THE ROOM TO ANUBIS and now he appeared in a bunch of other places. I also recall some rooms he'd pop up that were sectioned off and he'd float around so it's literally impossible to kill them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Final Fantasy Tactics A2? I've already jumped into about 25 hours of it, but I'm not too far ahead in the story (I can't leave sidequests behind).