Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

sensy v2.0 posted:

Wow I didn't notice it before but I think this is a great shot. I'd like to buy a print of it but I have nowhere to put one for awhile. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
Went to Ding Darling last weekend. Yay. I don't have LR or Photoshop, so I don't have a whole lot for post processing (Picasa's I'm feeling lucky is what I'm working with :hurr:)

Whillet coming in on this Ibis hoping to get a piece. Wings are a little blurred, but the eye seems to be sharp. 1/2000s and I still got blur :negative:

Click here for the full 912x650 image.

White Ibis finding a marine worm and a Willet wanting to get in that action.

A Snowy

Getting tired of this thumbnail bullshit. Little blue heron flying in.

tuyop posted:

Wow I didn't notice it before but I think this is a great shot. I'd like to buy a print of it but I have nowhere to put one for awhile. :(

I ordered a 20"x30" print from Shutterfly. The CSR's are outsorced so it's a son of a bitch to try to talk to anyone on the phone, but they have a no bullshit return policy. You don't like, you send back and get a full refund. I haven't tested it out because I was happy.

Bahama.Llama fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 14, 2010

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I spotted a bird I have never seen before:

He was doing this:

To protect his eggs:

Hi-Ya!

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Pretty sure it is a killdeer, they tend to nest in gravel or rocks like yours has.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
Very cool. At first I thought it was a plover of sorts, but I second the killdeer suggestion. Good work on getting low for the bird-on-nest shot btw. (that or you have some really big glass... in which case gently caress you you rich bastard)

http://identify.whatbird.com/obj/101/_/Killdeer.aspx

Bahama.Llama fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 14, 2010

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
I've been working like crazy these past few weeks so I haven't done much photographing aside from some random road snapshots, however I saw this bird haul across a really country/hardly traveled back road earlier today and glance at me before disappearing into the grass with his/her three offspring. Any ideas what species it is? I haven't seen one around here before:

I was in Monteagle, Tennessee.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
Probably a American Woodcock

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Woodcock

Bahama.Llama fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 14, 2010

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Bahama.Llama posted:

Probably a American Woodcock

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Woodcock

drat, that's some service. Haha. Thanks a lot! That definitely looks like it.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
Anytime! I've recently become a huge bird dork (all my buddies make fun) and always hope to see a new species. This site is the poo poo though for identifying birds: http://identify.whatbird.com/mwg/_/0/attrs.aspx

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
That is some service! Thanks for the link, I can never figure out what bird I'm looking at.

Here is a video of the killdeer doing it's broken wing trick:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tom_rintjema/4518942589/

TheCaptain
Dec 5, 2005

It's time to get a little Captain in you!

InternetJunky posted:

First bird with my new 7D

Hooray for Black-Capped Chickadee-dee-dee-dee-dees!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

TomR posted:

I spotted a bird I have never seen before:

He was doing this:

To protect his eggs:

Hi-Ya!

Wow! I love birds' cool nesting rituals.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

TomR posted:

That is some service! Thanks for the link, I can never figure out what bird I'm looking at.

This is neat! Cool to see it along with the photos. If I didn't know it was just for show I'd assume its wing was broken too. Tricky devil.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Here's a shot of a killdeer from last year:

It was actually in the middle of someone's driveway. They parked their car at the start of the driveway all summer to protect it. :)

Eggs are so hidden too

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

InternetJunky posted:

Here's a shot of a killdeer from last year:

It was actually in the middle of someone's driveway. They parked their car at the start of the driveway all summer to protect it. :)

Eggs are so hidden too

I once saw three baby killdeer running around in the street, lost. They're tiny little things, about two inches long, and so soft...I managed to grab two but an 18-wheeler ran over the third before I could get it. It was the saddest thing I've ever seen.

I got the other two over to the forest where there was a killdeer doing its thing and responding to the little peeps from the babies, though. I hope they made it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

TomR posted:

Wow, I'd heard that DSLR video was shaky but that's pretty crazy.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

tuyop posted:

What? Yes, it's shaky because it's a DSLR and not because it's handheld with a telephoto lens.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

the nicker posted:

What? Yes, it's shaky because it's a DSLR and not because it's handheld with a telephoto lens.

I don't know, his shots are sharp so I didn't think that was really the problem. I've never shot video with a DSLR or even touched one that could shoot video outside of a store, so I don't really know anything about it.

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.
The individual frames still have a short shutter speed, so in-frame-sharpness isn't affected. Frame-to-frame motion however is.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

tuyop posted:

Well it looks like he has probably shooting a 200mm lens without IS (does video in SLR's even use IS?) in gusty wind. And his lens alone is 3 pounds at least. Given those factors I'd say he did alright.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Yeah, 200mm hand held, no IS. I think IS can be used with video. What messes me up the most is when I switch to video I stay looking into the viewfinder and wonder why it went black.

Try holding a good 5lbs of camera out in front of you so you can see the screen while crouched down to get a good angle on a bird!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Haha sorry, I don't mean that TomR is a crappy videoer or anything. I was just commenting on something interesting about shooting video with a DSLR. I don't know anything about it, though, so it must just be the weight and lens and stuff in this case.

\/\/ Yeah, that's the "lens" part. :)

tuyop fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 15, 2010

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

tuyop posted:

Haha sorry, I don't mean that TomR is a crappy videoer or anything. I was just commenting on something interesting about shooting video with a DSLR. I don't know anything about it, though, so it must just be the weight and lens and stuff in this case.

Not even the weight as much as the magnification. Small motions over a distance get magnified. Have you ever played with a laser pointer? You know how easy it is to hold it on a single spot when it's up close, but when you try and point it across the street, it wobbles all over the place? Same principle here, except instead of the laser pointer dot, you have the center of the frame.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Tongsy
Aug 22, 2007

Dread Head posted:

Really like this shot.

There's a nice looking pair of Cardinals at my girlfriends house. I tried getting them with my 70-200 on Friday, but I couldn't get close enough.

Looks like a 400mm f5.6 is in order for me... or maybe a 300mm f4IS and an extender

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

Tongsy posted:

Looks like a 400mm f5.6 is in order for me... or maybe a 300mm f4IS and an extender

I went through the same thing you did. After much thought, I picked the 400 with the crazy good AF. I don't regret it for a second. The problem with birding is that the longest lens you have is never long enough. I'm currently thinking about getting a 1.4 tc to get a little more reach (but without AF).

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Bahama.Llama posted:

I went through the same thing you did. After much thought, I picked the 400 with the crazy good AF. I don't regret it for a second. The problem with birding is that the longest lens you have is never long enough. I'm currently thinking about getting a 1.4 tc to get a little more reach (but without AF).

I've been giving serious thought to the canon 400mm 5.6. Does the AF not work on the center point with the 1.4x? Any other complaints?

Tongsy
Aug 22, 2007

Wooten posted:

I've been giving serious thought to the canon 400mm 5.6. Does the AF not work on the center point with the 1.4x? Any other complaints?

My understanding is that the AF won't work at all on any non-1d/1ds body body with an extender, and on a 1d/1ds it will work ONLY on the center point.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

Wooten posted:

I think Tongsy got it almost correct. Cameras other then the 1D(s) line require an aperture of 5.6 to auto-focus. Once you slap a tc on this lens, you're gone past 5.6 and the AF won't function. The 1d(s) doesn't have this 5.6 requirement (I think it's a stop down), so AF will function with a TC.

Complaints... not really. Sometimes I wish it had IS and was faster, but then I remember that new it was $1200, not $2000+. Image quality is great, AF is fast, and it's nice and long :smug:.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Looks like there's even ways to make the 1.4TC work with lenses like the 100-400.

wankle
Jun 22, 2004

by Ozma

I've had mixed luck with that, but it's worth a try.

7D & 400 f/5.6L:

http://jleblanc.smugmug.com/Nature/Black-River/11885258_nAfEE

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Here, have a flamingo. Hmm, maybe I should've burned his back a little there. Anyone know a good source for post suggestions/tutorials?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

wankle posted:

I've had mixed luck with that, but it's worth a try.

7D & 400 f/5.6L:

Nice Rufus Sided Towee. It's not a bird you see many photographs of.

DESTROY ALL GOATS
Aug 13, 2009

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
/\/\/\ Good job, man.

:3:

I think that ISO 800 was a bad choice, but I'm always terrified of blowing the focus during remote shooting so I didn't want to open the aperture past f/5.6.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 21, 2010

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
That entire bird came out of an egg that size? Wow. It must have really been packed in there.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

orange lime posted:

That entire bird came out of an egg that size? Wow. It must have really been packed in there.

I was thinking the same thing, jeez!

Very cool series, tuyop! I'm enjoying it a lot. That setup is working really well.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I haven't checked on them for a couple of days so it's possible that I missed the hatching and that chick is like 1-3 days old. Thanks for the comments, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004