Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Fnoigy posted:

Deus Ex legitimately has insanely good features that you rarely see anywhere else, like such open-ended gameplay and user-customization, real consequences for your actions and such. You play the game through in a different way and it's practically a different game.

this is pretty much the reason deus ex is still loved so much. the only other real attempts at deus ex style gameplay "refined" the experience in the wrong way like IW or had a host of problems of their own like Bloodlines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm not saying the hud looks bad cause it's blown up. I'm saying the hud is designed for 640x480. It's the most readable in those teeny streaming video windows and the hud elements blend together instead of being cut off from each other at the corners. I don't actually play at 640x480, I just think that it looks best if you were going to make a video for the internet.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

fleshweasel posted:

I'm not saying the hud looks bad cause it's blown up. I'm saying the hud is designed for 640x480. It's the most readable in those teeny streaming video windows and the hud elements blend together instead of being cut off from each other at the corners. I don't actually play at 640x480, I just think that it looks best if you were going to make a video for the internet.

If you're running either the mod linked on the last page or Shifter (which does the same thing), it'll end up being a total non-issue. For someone only watching the gameplay the readability of the HUD is a practically non-existent concern, as long as it's not distractingly bad.

That said, there's no Earthly reason to make HD videos of Deus Ex.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure why everyone is having such issues with the HUD.
I'm using the DX10 launcher that was linked earlier in the thread to play the game, and after plugging in my resolution and aspect ratio it scaled the hud accordingly (and it doesn't look bad, actually).
Not sure what to say. If anyone has hud problems and they're playing in 16:9 let me know and I'll post the values I'm using to see if that makes any difference for you.

Anyway, I forgot how great this game is. It's amazing how gameplay-wise, this is by far one of the best games out there. It's definitely dated, but it's still plenty of fun to play.

One thing to note about the awesome shifter mod: JoJo drops a custom silenced pistol if he dies. It's more accurate and does more damage than the regular silenced pistol.

Not sure what other unique weapons there are in the game besides the one in Paris people keep mentioning though. I've been looking in every nook and cranny so I doubt I could have missed anything...

E. Nesbit
Mar 18, 2009

Eat two dicks and call me in the morning.
I beat this game ages ago, and yes, it is awesome. My favorite game, along with System Shock 2.

Funny story: I'm a gaming perfectionist, sometimes a neurotic one. As in, if I die, I need to reload the last save immediately. As I recall, there's one point where you're cornered in the subway by the female cyborg. First time I played, I was like, drat this boss is tough. I finally managed to kill her, maybe on the 20th iteration, using a series of proximity mines. It was totally sweet. Then I realized. There was nowhere to go but up, and then you got arrested and thrown in jail. I found out later that if you let her kill you, the same poo poo happened, only she's there to taunt you. Other details later in the game changed if you killed her early, too. And that's why this game rules. Even when it railroads you, it doesn't really railroad you.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

E. Nesbit posted:

I beat this game ages ago, and yes, it is awesome. My favorite game, along with System Shock 2.

Funny story: I'm a gaming perfectionist, sometimes a neurotic one. As in, if I die, I need to reload the last save immediately. As I recall, there's one point where you're cornered in the subway by the female cyborg. First time I played, I was like, drat this boss is tough. I finally managed to kill her, maybe on the 20th iteration, using a series of proximity mines. It was totally sweet. Then I realized. There was nowhere to go but up, and then you got arrested and thrown in jail. I found out later that if you let her kill you, the same poo poo happened, only she's there to taunt you. Other details later in the game changed if you killed her early, too. And that's why this game rules. Even when it railroads you, it doesn't really railroad you.

Yup all the possible options for something such as what to do on the plane and also how decisions aren't tied to rewards similar to The Witcher.

etalian fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 14, 2010

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

etalian posted:

Yup all the possible options for something such as what to do on the plane and also how decisions aren't tied to rewards similar to The Witcher.

I always loved setting a LAM on the plane so what's her face gets blown up and Lebedev actually escapes... as I recall he shows up again later in the game to help out in some way. Not as crazy as my realization, on playing through the game a second time, that you can SAVE PAUL. That blew my loving mind the first time, even if he only just shows up in Hong Kong later and doesn't do that much other than call you right at the end of the game.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Fuzz posted:

I always loved setting a LAM on the plane so what's her face gets blown up and Lebedev actually escapes... as I recall he shows up again later in the game to help out in some way.
I'm pretty sure you need to at least tranq him to trigger Gunther's arrival.

As for the other part... yeah, I figured going out the window was just the best way to get a clear shot at the soldiers on the street :(

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Fuzz posted:

I always loved setting a LAM on the plane so what's her face gets blown up and Lebedev actually escapes...

fun fact: alex's transmission to you is slightly different if you do this as opposed to killing her after she gives you the order to kill Lebedev

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Fag Boy Jim posted:

fun fact: alex's transmission to you is slightly different if you do this as opposed to killing her after she gives you the order to kill Lebedev

Haha, yes, I noticed that too. The sheer confusion and disgust in his voice are so great. He also has a third transmission if you end up killing both of them.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Fuzz posted:

Haha, yes, I noticed that too. The sheer confusion and disgust in his voice are so great. He also has a third transmission if you end up killing both of them.

well guess who's doing another playthrough!!!

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Weedle posted:

I played both Fallout and Deus Ex for the first time in 2007, and they were amazing. I really don't know what to say to anyone who can't stand to play a game that's more than a couple of years old.

Same, except it was 2008 for me and they both blew me away. They're both in my top 5 all-time now.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar
Ugh, so I've been playing on and off all day and have been stuck in Paris in the catacombs. I've got no health besides a medpack i found, no energy besides a disc I found, and it seems like I HAVE to go through some room filled with radioactive crap.

Tell me I'm being ridiculous and missing a means to skip this area all together

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

the silent GEP gun takedown is the best way to eliminate Manderly

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Fuzz posted:

Is it as good as killing the NSF leader or the subway hostages?

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Go with Christ posted:

I'm just about to go through Versalife for the second time, and I wanted to share some of the little things about the game.

1. Shifter is the loving balls. Yeah, it fixes the inventory glitch, the pause-during-lockpicking/multitooling glitch, the infinite-skillpoint glitch, and the Dragon's Tooth is no longer a "break all doors forever" weapon - but of the features:

• NPC random loot table - especially nice for the MiB/WiB, gives a reason to do for a knockout.
  • Skill points for kills/knockouts based on difficulty and how you did it - downing a MJ12 commando with a riot prod or pistol headshots will give more that just chucking a LAM.
  • Stealth skillpoint bonus for not killing people, and sneaking around them.
  • YOU WILL NOT PICK UP THE COMBAT KNIFE IF YOU HAVE A BETTER MELEE ITEM IN INVENTORY.
  • Zyme actually does something useful before it goes into super-drunk mode.
  • Unique weapons - nothing gamebreaking except lol railgun in Paris but a nice touch and plus for exploring
  • SKUL GUN.
  • Unrealistic mode. Greasels with shotguns.

2. Map glitch in the Canals, where the tunnel under Tonnochi Road has a part of the wall missing and you can walk on water in a part. You can see the dead scientist surrounded by karkians with the aug upgrade through the invisible wall. Very weird the first time.

3. The Triads / Monks speak Cantonese. "Neh hoh ma" is How are you? and "Um goi ge gao" is Excuse me. Just a random touch.

4. Enemy Within (the music when you escape the MJ12 base into Unatco HQ is such a fantastic song.

Has anyone here done a full non-lethal run? I stayed non-lethal (including no turret dickery, and even moving bodies before blowing up the NSF generator) up until the raid on the 'Ton, where even Paul started loving poo poo up. Supposedly you can even get past Anna Navarre if you injure before the scripted convo kicks in, the last time you fight.

I attempted a non-lethal run once, but after getting the Dragon's Tooth I just said 'fuckit' and spent the rest of the game hacking through everyone.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

etalian posted:

the silent GEP gun takedown is the best way to eliminate Manderly

stick with the prod. prod with the prod

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Le Sean posted:

Ugh, so I've been playing on and off all day and have been stuck in Paris in the catacombs. I've got no health besides a medpack i found, no energy besides a disc I found, and it seems like I HAVE to go through some room filled with radioactive crap.

Tell me I'm being ridiculous and missing a means to skip this area all together

If I'm thinking of the right place, there should be a hazmat suit sitting around near the toxic room.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

DNS posted:

I attempted a non-lethal run once, but after getting the Dragon's Tooth I just said 'fuckit' and spent the rest of the game hacking through everyone.

I did the same thing once, but I called it a Jedi run. Using mind tricks to sneak past enemies is fun!

Lord Solitare
Feb 9, 2010

by Ozmaugh
gently caress it, shelled out the 10bux and it's downloading now.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

what an expansive mistake you turned out to be

more like FAILdows get it
Nov 19, 2007

punch a friend in the butt
Just wanted to pop into this thread and say that this game is loving incredible. My first exposure to Deus Ex was playing IW* when I was 14, and though I liked that game well enough, I never went out of my way to play the much superior original. Well I found this thread a few days ago, went ahead and downloaded it, and I'm kicking myself for not playing it years ago. Despite its flaws, I can safely say that ten years have not had much of an effect on the fun value of the game (though obviously on the graphics) and has proved to be more entertaining than most new releases I've played in the past year.

* - Can someone give me a run down on why this game is so hated amongst Deus Ex fans? It's been a while since I played it but I remember that I really liked it and beat it in only a few sittings. Furthermore it seems to have generally decent reviews and, while not as thrilling as its predecessor, doesn't seem that bad of a game solely on its own merits.

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more

Weedle posted:

stick with the prod. prod with the prod
might as well start usin your codename.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Weedle posted:

YCS deus ex threads are the best

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Fuzz posted:

I always loved setting a LAM on the plane so what's her face gets blown up and Lebedev actually escapes... as I recall he shows up again later in the game to help out in some way. Not as crazy as my realization, on playing through the game a second time, that you can SAVE PAUL. That blew my loving mind the first time, even if he only just shows up in Hong Kong later and doesn't do that much other than call you right at the end of the game.

HOW?

I've seen a video where the only way possible is to set up all the TNT you can find in the level into a trap for the MIBs. Is it possible at all to normally just fight through it and save him?

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

Pomale posted:

It's been a while since I played it but I remember that I really liked it and beat it in only a few sittings. Furthermore it seems to have generally decent reviews and, while not as thrilling as its predecessor, doesn't seem that bad of a game solely on its own merits.

You pretty much summed it up. Its a fine game, but a lot of systems are changed or dumbed down, and the levels are way smaller than it should be. Plus Alex is kind of a douchebag unless you choose female.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Red Crown posted:

HOW?

I've seen a video where the only way possible is to set up all the TNT you can find in the level into a trap for the MIBs. Is it possible at all to normally just fight through it and save him?

paul is invulnerable during the whole fight, you can just hide and let Paul deal with everything in the room and the lobby. he only "dies" if you leave through the window

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Weedle posted:

JC Tenton was one of the best threads ever

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar

Weedle posted:

If I'm thinking of the right place, there should be a hazmat suit sitting around near the toxic room.

Oh, I definitely found the hazmat suit, but as soon as I step in the room I insta-die. I've turned on a hazmat aug, put on the suit, leveled up envi-protection to 3 (it's sort of nice not choking on my need for skill-points, thanks shifter!) and I still collapse immediately beyond the threshold.

God, I don't wanna god-mode this, but I might be forced to god-mode this.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Liesmith posted:

especially the youtube video where he tries to open the snack stash with his fat fingers

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Pomale posted:

* - Can someone give me a run down on why this game is so hated amongst Deus Ex fans? It's been a while since I played it but I remember that I really liked it and beat it in only a few sittings. Furthermore it seems to have generally decent reviews and, while not as thrilling as its predecessor, doesn't seem that bad of a game solely on its own merits.

DX:IW is to the original DX as Alien 3 was to Alien/Aliens: something that would have been just fine had it been its own thing, but since it was a follow-up to a hugely successful and influential work with an army of die-hard fans it ended up being unfairly maligned.

The first thing that comes up is the engine; It was coded in about two weeks after one of their main programmers left, and this (not the :pcgaming: CONSOLES :pcgaming: thing that gets tossed around whenever this is brought up) meant that the performance was terrible and the areas were really small, removing a lot of the exploration of the first game. The graphics were good for the time but they spent so much time and resources on stuff that really didn't matter (like ragdolls and shadows) that, again, it meant they couldn't have as much going on at once as the first. The aesthetic was also weird, because in spite of taking place after the societal collapse at the end of the first game everything looks more futuristic!

For gameplay, passive mods and unique weapons were a nice addition, and some augs (like Bot Control) were a lot of fun, but overall the shooting just wasn't as good. The universal ammo system was almost understandable (pimping your pistol the whole game in DX only to realize there are almost no 9mm pickups in the endgame sucks) but its implementation was terrible, a shot from a sniper rifle could drain almost a whole clip! Especially once the super-soldiers get introduced in the endgame you could blow your entire stash of ammo in a single fight. They also completely ditched the experience and leveling system, which limited character customization and took away a lot of the motivation to explore and do side quests. Also, considering the huge length of the first game you can beat IW in about 10-15 hours.

For the story, I thought they did a pretty good job following up JC's actions and working in all the endings of DX without having them contradict. The problem was having two factions to choose between: they would both send you to the same place to do almost the same thing, and even if you ignored one side they would always pop up asking for your help next time around, meaning that there was almost no consequence or reason for siding with one group or the other. Granted, in the original DX your actions had no bigger effect on the story or your relationship with the factions (you always disobey orders to see Paul, always defect, always kill Gunther and Anna, etc) but it was so painfully transparent in IW, even if they did work it into the story in a somewhat clever way by making them both fronts for the Illuminati.

If DX: IW hadn't been a Deus Ex game at all but instead had been an unrelated sci-fi shooter it would probably have gotten a lot more love than it did. As it stands, it's just a frustrating reminder of all the things that made the original so good.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Liesmith posted:

i tried to find the original fatjc.jpg but to no avail

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
DXIW had the worst ammo system and the worst UI in any fps of its period, not to mention the awful engine that had inexplicably high system requirements and tiny level segments that took ages to load. i'm of the complete oppisite viewpoint, i think it was a godawful and broken game that only got a bit of love because it was a deus ex game, and hey, a deus ex game couldn't possibly be bad.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

...of SCIENCE! posted:

:pcgaming:
I could hate the whole game for the fact it gives you the Dragon's Tooth and immediately afterward makes half the enemies explode or fountain poison gas as soon as they enter ragdoll mode (including non-lethal takedowns). The villains are also completely unconvincing (since when do Templars care about genetic purity and humanity instead of killing brown people?). Finally, if you think anything about Deus Ex is cool there's only one ending worth choosing. They just took the endings from the first game and cranked them up until they were almost nonsensical.

On a modern rig with the HD texture pack I can force myself to like it because it's Deus Ex, but that's about it.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 14, 2010

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the weak dragons tooth sword in IW is non-canon, much like the super-wimpy laser rapier in system shock 2

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
You kind of needed a sword, though, because every loving fight drained your ammo to nothing by the end of that game. At least there was a better one in the sanctuary.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Fag Boy Jim posted:

the weak dragons tooth sword in IW is non-canon, much like the super-wimpy laser rapier in system shock 2
The one you find in JC's brain was a one-hit kill on anything with the proper augs (I think), but using it on armoured templars or illuminati commandos was tantamount to suicide. Only when you return to Cairo do you get to jump across a wide open space and plunge it into a squishy enemy. The only thing that makes up for the inefficacy of melee combat was the Hellfire crossbow.

Speaking of the commandos, one of the few very cool moments in IW was when you got to meet your first one. Sure, everyone saw the reveal coming a mile away, but they almost made up for it. "Wait, Her Holiness is who and that guy... what the gently caress is he?"

Carbohydrates posted:

You kind of needed a sword, though, because every loving fight drained your ammo to nothing by the end of that game.
You could adjust the damage, ammo pickup/drain and other essential parameters in a text file. It made firefights tolerable near the endgame when before you either used the Magrail or just gave up on killing things altogether.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 14, 2010

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Shumagorath posted:

Finally, if you think anything about Deus Ex is cool there's only one ending worth choosing.

two cool endings, i kinda want to like this game for finally having a sadly not-widely-emulated "gently caress all of you idiots" ending

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Thinking back to Cairo, I have to wonder what was wrong with Clara when you had to rescue her from Dumier's goons. Every time I would just flashbang the place (or not) and drop everyone with the baton before they could fire a shot. She should have been able to do that herself unless she chose nothing but those god-awful drone augs.

The aug slots made no sense at all. Regeneration went in the eyes, and I never once chose it over Superman Vision due to the glut of medkits everywhere. Compare this to DX1 where I would still put points in medicine because it was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tony police
Sep 22, 2006

Weedle posted:

i tried to find the original fatjc.jpg but to no avail

The archived thread still has some of the pictures in it, but no fatjc.jpg.