Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

So when you guys break out of the jail in UNATCO do you kill Manderly's secretary? I always shoot her in the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

The French Army! posted:

So when you guys break out of the jail in UNATCO do you kill Manderly's secretary? I always shoot her in the face.
Stun prod on my way into the office. "Manderley, it's J-UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGHHHH!"

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
JC Tenton was the best thread YCS has created.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
After reading the JC Tenton thread I'm pretty convinced that Fat JC is a better video game character than Link and Mario combined.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
Regarding JC Tenton: It's always good to know that there is still something out there waiting for its moment to make you laugh until it hurts.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
My favorite vid is still the one where he goes to Paul's apartment, can't fit through the window so he goes around the normal way, then can't hit the keypad buttons because of his fat sausage fingers and has to take out the baton.

Genius.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Shumagorath posted:

Finally, if you think anything about Deus Ex is cool there's only one ending worth choosing.
The Omar you mean? The Omar make up for a lot of IW's failings in my eyes.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Jetsetlemming posted:

A discount has been applied to all future purchases. :smug:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Jetsetlemming posted:

The JC ending. That was also the only really good ending in DX1 too, unless you really liked Escape from L.A. (and I admit to naming at least one of my JCs Snake Plissken).

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
OK so my new copy of DX arrived in the post today and I'm trying to install the Shifter mod for it but I'm having trouble finding the right folders and directories to install it properly. I know this is really basic "Computers 101" stuff but could anyone give me a hand with installing this thing?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Surfer Rosa Parks posted:

OK so my new copy of DX arrived in the post today and I'm trying to install the Shifter mod for it but I'm having trouble finding the right folders and directories to install it properly. I know this is really basic "Computers 101" stuff but could anyone give me a hand with installing this thing?

The most basic install of Shifter only requires you to swap out two files, both of which are in Deus Ex\System.

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!

Shumagorath posted:

Finally, if you think anything about Deus Ex is cool there's only one ending worth choosing.

If you think Deus Ex is cool then maintaining that IW is non-canon is the best policy.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Shumagorath posted:

The JC ending. That was also the only really good ending in DX1 too, unless you really liked Escape from L.A. (and I admit to naming at least one of my JCs Snake Plissken).
I never liked either "JC rules the world" ending, because they always felt more like "Helios wearing JC's skin rules the world". I don't trust that machine to only be half. :colbert:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Fuzz posted:

My favorite vid is still the one where he goes to Paul's apartment, can't fit through the window so he goes around the normal way, then can't hit the keypad buttons because of his fat sausage fingers and has to take out the baton.

Genius.

That was a great one, but I think I have two favorites and I can't decide which one is better. They're not as dramatic as that but they're still great. One is really subtle, but it's the part where JC finally finds the computer guy in UNATCO, and while he's walking to him, he moves as slowly as he can... until he sees a candybar on a desk or something, then he lurches toward it as fast as he can, grabs it, then eats it immediately before taking another slow, laborious, candybarless step towards the computer guy... until he sees another candybar, etc. He does this 3-5 times in a 20 second video.

Then there's the video where he's hanging out on the dock by a huge pile of candybars and sodas, just eating and drinking everything as fast as he can, one thing after another, when the starving, dirty kid walks up to him and asks him if he has anything to eat and he replies with "You'll be alright." Then after they're done talking, JC kills him with a sword and looks at the gibs for a second or two before continuing on with the rest of the candy pile.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 15, 2010

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

There isn't a playable version for this on mac :sigh:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Is that thread in the archives or what?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
It's the first result when you google "something awful jc tenton" and you can also search youtube for "jc tenton"

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2790337

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 14, 2010

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7tRYj-Y6qI

this one is my favorite, followed by "JC Tenton wants his cheese"

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Everyone knows about the sunken barge right? It hasn't been mentioned in either thread yet.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

So, when you're trying to take out the generator on the second mission, and when you're heading to the airfield to get Lebedev, you keep finding notes by Erin, Decker and Young, who are presumably high-ranking NSF members. I thought it was really cool how they tried to humanise the NSF and make you feel sympathy for them, as a way of sort of foreshadowing you switching sides - especially because every NSF guy you get a chance to talk to surrenders and says "we don't want to fight", compared to the one-dimensional UNATCO troops desperate to unleash hell.

Then, a lot later on, you find a book in the Paris Cathedral in the room of a Woman in Black:

Am I right in thinking they used to be MJ12? It explains why an organisation of mostly amateur cranks could steal ambrosia, set up military security systems, and function in general.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
It wouldn't surprise me if MJ12 grunts had been roped into the job thinking it was just a PMC of some kind, and at least a few realized what they had gotten into after the fact. I'd never noticed that the names match up...

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Actually there's a journal entry from some dude in that exact situation, in the bedrooms on the ground floor of the cathedral. Guy says he "should have smelt a rat when they didn't ask about the discharge", which either means he got kicked out of the army or he didn't have a very thorough medical exam upon joining.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

Everyone knows about the sunken barge right? It hasn't been mentioned in either thread yet.

On Liberty Island or in Wan Chai?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

On Liberty Island or in Wan Chai?
On Liberty Island. It'd be really easy to miss as you don't have to go there at all if you don't want to, and there's never an excuse to go back.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?
So was JC Tenton using some game mod, like a combination of the fat mutator for UT and scripts to make keypads work wrong and stuff?

EIther way, that is loving hilarious.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Fnoigy posted:

So was JC Tenton using some game mod, like a combination of the fat mutator for UT and scripts to make keypads work wrong and stuff?

EIther way, that is loving hilarious.

I don't think there's a specific mod- the fat mutator was used, and the fat fingers was just the player slamming numbers on his numpad that were close together.

Whenever I think of the video where he lurches towards the candybars whenever he sees them, I can't stop giggling. It made taking a test today really difficult.

EvilHobo
Dec 28, 2008
Oh I'm so happy that I discovered JC Tenton. I wish the game were more fresh in my memory though

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Shumagorath posted:

Stun prod on my way into the office. "Manderley, it's J-UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGHHHH!"

A non-lethal takedown is always the most silent takedown.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar
Just reached the sub base. I am loving this railgun and precision sniper rifle, but I hope this level isn't just boxes within boxy corridors like the last one.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
As active as I've been in the thread, I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't replayed the game in a long time.

Would you think it would lessen the experience of the game to cheat in greater weapon accuracy early on? I mean it's really hard to stomach the fact that I can put my crosshairs between an enemy's eyes and keep them there, but JC can still randomly shoot his pistol about a foot, or some other widely unreasonable distance, off the mark.

Is it possible or advisable to just cheat/mod in better weapon accuracy? I'm not talking lazer perfect precision or anything, just a much, much tighter pattern akin to modern FPS weapons.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 15, 2010

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

GreatGreen posted:

As active as I've been in the thread, I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't replayed the game in a long time.

Would you think it would lessen the experience of the game to cheat in greater weapon accuracy early on? I mean it's really hard to stomach the fact that I can put my crosshairs between an enemy's eyes and keep them there, but JC can still randomly shoot his pistol about a foot, or some other widely unreasonable distance, off the mark.

Is it possible or advisable to just cheat/mod in better weapon accuracy? I'm not talking lazer perfect precision or anything, just a much, much tighter pattern akin to modern FPS weapons.

You don't really need it. As long as you have at least one skill level in a weapon class, you can be reasonably accurate with that weapon while standing still. GOOD accuracy while standing takes another skill level, running and gunning pretty much requires weapon mastery.

There's always the knife option. That's how I made it through Liberty Island the first time.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

josh04 posted:

A non-lethal takedown is always the most silent takedown.
Hops away

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
If you haven't done it yet, I suggest a low-tech play-throuhg. No rifles, no pistols, no-computers, no multitools. Grenades, and melee and stealth, the whole way.

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

GreatGreen posted:

Just grab the laser sight from the underground place with the hazmat suit in the first level and slap that bitch on your pistol. Laser-perfect accuracy as long as you don't put a scope on it.

more like FAILdows get it
Nov 19, 2007

punch a friend in the butt

Spaz Medicine posted:

Just grab the laser sight from the underground place with the hazmat suit in the first level and slap that bitch on your pistol. Laser-perfect accuracy as long as you don't put a scope on it.

I actually put a laser sight on my pistol and it worked for a few minutes after I put it on, but now I still have to do the whole "wait 7 seconds to line up the shot" thing even though the laser sight is still attached. Is that a bug or do I just not know how the laser sight is intended to work?

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Powercrazy posted:

If you haven't done it yet, I suggest a low-tech play-throuhg. No rifles, no pistols, no-computers, no multitools. Grenades, and melee and stealth, the whole way.

Does the dragon's tooth count as low-tech? It ain't no thang either way, as soon as you get the melee damage and speed augs, nothing matters anymore :black101:

e: and absolutely do what Powercrazy suggests, I've done it with and without the dragon's tooth and it is quite the goddamn experience either way.

e e: ..unless augs count as high tech :v:

Hard Clumping fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 15, 2010

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
the dragons tooth is a nano lightsaber, would you describe that as low tech?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Spaz Medicine posted:

Cool, didn't know you could do that. Can enemies see the laser dot and learn your position faster than they otherwise would have, or is the laser attachment pretty much just an accuracy buffing device with a neat looking 1st person graphic?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Warning for people using Shifter - Shifter alters the laser sight so that it wobbles within the shot spread area. Shots still hit exactly where the laser is pointing, but it's harder to get a bead on someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

GreatGreen posted:

Cool, didn't know you could do that. Can enemies see the laser dot and learn your position faster than they otherwise would have, or is the laser attachment pretty much just an accuracy buffing device with a neat looking 1st person graphic?
Naw, I shine it right in their face all the time and they don't do poo poo.