Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorquemada
Dec 22, 2001

Goddamn Textual Tyrannosaurus

dwoloz posted:

I'm in the midst of bathroom demo. There is subfloor rot in one area and some work will need to be done to sister joists

What is the best method to remove the tile and plywood substrate? (no backerboard was used)

My concern with a prybar is that it will damage the salvageable subfloor in the non rotted ares
A great big prybar is probably your best bet, but how much space are you talking about? Putting down new subfloor is almost always easier in this case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Well we're buying a new house, and it looks like the sale is going through. Most of the stuff from the inspection looks pretty simple, but there's three major issues that need to be addressed.

First one is failed thermal seals on 8 of the 12 windows in the house. We also noticed some rot on one of the wood frames underneath some flashing (the flashing was pulled back by the wind and had exposed the wood). The windows are supposedly not original (house was built in 91), but the fact that so many thermal seals have failed is a cause for concern to us. How hard is it to replace a window? How much should I expect to pay if I don't feel like it's a DIY job?

Second issue is the garage ceiling. The wallboard ceiling was installed using smooth nails, and the weight of the blown insulation on top has caused the ceiling to sag in places (up to 1 inch in some spots). I'm debating the best way to repair everything. The impression I've gotten is that the blown-in stuff will get everywhere, and that I may want to remove or relocate it before I push the wallboard back up and screw it in place using drywall screws on 8 inch spacing. One idea I've played with is completely removing the insulation and using spray foam instead, but that seems exorbitantly expensive. Any thoughts on what I can do here?

Third issue is the water heater. The current unit is a natural gas tanked model that's original to the house and 5 years over the life expectancy. I'm debating between replacing the unit directly with an energy efficient 50 gallon model, and going all out with a tankless water heater. I've already looked over the benefits and pitfalls of the tankless and I feel it's a good fit for the home. The problem is that having a professional install it would probably blow my the cost savings compared to a tank model. Installing a tankless model doesn't look too hard (I'm a mechanical engineer with a lot of hands-on experience), but I'm unfamiliar with the venting. How hard would it be to remove the existing water heater vent and replace it with the stainless steel vent called for by the manufacturer? The water heater is located in a single story garage.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

How hard is it to replace a window? How much should I expect to pay if I don't feel like it's a DIY job?
The impression I've gotten is that the blown-in stuff will get everywhere, and that I may want to remove or relocate it before I push the wallboard back up and screw it in
How hard would it be to remove the existing water heater vent and replace it with the stainless steel vent called for by the manufacturer?

That depends on how large your windows are, how many people you have to help put and hold them in place, how far those windows are from the ground outside, and if it's a windy day outside. If you have to replace the majority of your windows, you might want to look into replacing them all. Expect to pay a few grand, you can get quotes that you can always say no to. You might also be able to get back some of that cost (NOT installation) as a tax credit if the new ones meet the tax requirements.

Do it the easy way. Move everything that isn't smooth and flat out of your garage that you can, sweep the garage floor, screw up the panels in place, sweep up everything that fell and just throw it up there yourself.

There's also a tax credit for energy efficient water heaters.... just not for tankless ones. But yeah, if the entire vent is exposed in the unfinished garage ceiling, replacing it should be a snap.

edit: here's the tax credit link if you got questions: http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=tax_credits.tx_index

morethanjake32
Apr 5, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The wallboard ceiling was installed using smooth nails, and the weight of the blown insulation on top has caused the ceiling to sag in places (up to 1 inch in some spots). I'm debating the best way to repair everything. The impression I've gotten is that the blown-in stuff will get everywhere, and that I may want to remove or relocate it before I push the wallboard back up and screw it in place using drywall screws on 8 inch spacing. One idea I've played with is completely removing the insulation and using spray foam instead, but that seems exorbitantly expensive. Any thoughts on what I can do here?

I am a little confused. Is the drywall sagging between the nails, or are the seams of the drywall sagging? I don't know what the exact weight of blown in insulation is per inch depth, but I don't remember it being heavy enough to exert those kind of loads on the ceiling. Is it finished drywall in the garage or is it rough/ only taped? A leak coming from the roof would cause that kind of sagging, partially from the weight of the water, and also from the water melting the drywall. It would probably leave rings on the ceiling though. I don't think you really have to worry too much about the insulation falling out if you are simply adding screws to suck the drywall back up to the joists.

edit:
oh, almost forgot, check with your local codes, some cities require a permit to replace windows and water heaters.

morethanjake32 fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 12, 2010

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

dorquemada posted:

A great big prybar is probably your best bet, but how much space are you talking about? Putting down new subfloor is almost always easier in this case.

Thanks for the reply. Accomplishment thus far

The friend that is helping me out with the project insists that 3/4 exterior grade plywood is the best thing to use on top of the subfloor for tile to then be laid over. (His reasoning being the screws will really bite into the joists and bring everything together solidly). I am of the belief putting cement backerboard over the subfloor is a better option. (My reasoning being it is much more sound in a humid environment like a bathroom). Using both then would be a suitable answer BUT it would make the floor level quite a bit higher than the rest of the house which has about 3/8" of hardwood directly over the subfloor you see in the picture
Thoughts on the matter?

dwoloz fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 14, 2010

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Is there anything stopping you from removing all of the original subfloor there, and then putting down new ply + cement board?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I'm trying to remove a couple of bathroom sinks because one is rusted through and it would look stupid to have 2 different sinks in the same bathroom. My problem is that they are both under mounted sinks with tile on top and a wood bracket below keeping them in place, so the sink is essentially sandwiched between the 2 layers. How would I go about removing the sink to replace it and would it make more sense to go with another under mount or with a drop in?

morethanjake32
Apr 5, 2009
Are the sinks both in the same countertop? Do you really like the tile? Some of the new vanity tops have molded in sinks so you never have to worry about caulk or keeping the seam between the sink and counter clean. To actually answer your question, I think the easiest way is probably to remove the wood bracket and install the new sink identically (if you can find a match dimension-wise).

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If you can't find a dimensional match going to an over-mounted sink & trimming the hole out is your best bet.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

What we ended up doing is we dremeled out the grout from around the tile surrounding the sink then removed the caulking and cement around the lip of the sink then the tiles came up. We broke 2 in the process but I have 10 additional tiles in the garage from when the work was originally done back in the late 70's. We detached the pipe and water lines then pulled the sinks out through the top. Tonight we'll set and regrout the tile, let it set and we're going to put self rimming sinks in tomorrow night incase we need to do this again in the next 20-30 years. Also up on the agenda for the same house is pulling up linoleum in a bathroom, tiling the floor, using the sawzall on some bad spots of drywall and replacing with drywall/tape and repainting, fixing some 4ft light fixtures in the garage. The house I'm actually living in.. Well, don't even get me started, between the 2 houses there could have been a how to fix everything in the house yourself megathread.. :)

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001
PUT MY CART BACK? I'M BETTER THAN THAT AND YOU! WHERE IS MY BUTLER?!

keykey posted:

...using the sawzall on some bad spots of drywall and replacing with drywall/tape and repainting, fixing some 4ft light fixtures in the garage. The house I'm actually living in.. Well, don't even get me started, between the 2 houses there could have been a how to fix everything in the house yourself megathread.. :)

A serrated knife will do, but hey have fun with that.

WestofEden
Jun 28, 2008

I can't tell my left from right sometimes.
I'm not sure if this is the place for it, but this seems the most appropriate of any other place. My dilemma: I have a retro record console that I love, and doesn't work. Its been in storage for a year, and I'm finally moving, and I can't bear to part with it, but no one wants to help me move it because it weighs 300 lbs.

So my question is, how would I go about gutting such a thing? It has big tube speakers and and a turntable/am/fm radio section.

Excuse the mess, but this is it if it helps.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Are you trying to save the shell? I think it's gonna weigh 295 pounds once you get the guts out. The last one of those I saw was made with a fuckload of wood, and wood is heavy.

WestofEden
Jun 28, 2008

I can't tell my left from right sometimes.
Yeah, I am trying to save just the outside. Is it really that bad? Yikes.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Ahz posted:

A serrated knife will do, but hey have fun with that.

A serrated knife for a 4x2 ft section (freezer decided to become 1 with the wall) and a few 3x1 ft sections (from removed shelving units) you say? Yeah, that sounds like great fun.. I used the sawzall and and it's already done and patched tonight. Tomorrow on to installing the sinks since tonight was putting the tile back in place so I gotta wait for the grout to dry.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

slap me silly posted:

Are you trying to save the shell? I think it's gonna weigh 295 pounds once you get the guts out. The last one of those I saw was made with a fuckload of wood, and wood is heavy.

I disagree. Real wood is quite light, compared to particle board. My dad had an antique record player very similar to that, which had been gutted already. It was easily moved by two people... I'd say it maybe weighed 70lbs.

That said, I urge you to have it looked at by an antique electronics dude. If the guts are easily repairable, it's worth far more with them intact than destroyed. Sometimes it's as simple as replacing a fuse, a rotten cord, or maybe a vacuum tube or two, or the rubber belt that drives the turntable. It'd suck to tear it apart if $40 or something would fix it.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.

Leperflesh posted:

That said, I urge you to have it looked at by an antique electronics dude.
This is the truth. Don't gut it.

You'll either need to get 4 people on the thing to move it (safely), or hire a moving company.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
I have a half bath that we need to repaint, but we'll need to change the flooring. The current flooring is vinyl (not peel-and-stick squares, but actual sheet vinyl). Can I cheat and lay peel-and-stick over what's already there, or do I really have to remove it first? If it's the latter, what's the best way to remove it?

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.

Richard Noggin posted:

Can I cheat and lay peel-and-stick over what's already there?
:cmon: :ughh:

I can't tell you the best way to remove it, but I'll tell you that you'll be glad you did.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

dv6speed posted:

:cmon: :ughh:

Haha, yeah, I kinda want to be THAT GUY here. But, if it's not kosher, I'll do it the hard way.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Richard Noggin posted:

I have a half bath that we need to repaint, but we'll need to change the flooring. The current flooring is vinyl (not peel-and-stick squares, but actual sheet vinyl). Can I cheat and lay peel-and-stick over what's already there, or do I really have to remove it first? If it's the latter, what's the best way to remove it?

What you'll want to do is peel up the vinyl if it's possible. If not, get a tool called a mutt (google mutt tool). Then once you get to the adhesive layer, get an adhesive remover from home depot, once it's soft enough, just scrape the poo poo out of it with a mutt or other similar tool. In any case, make sure it's smooth. Then you'll be ready for whatever type of flooring you want to put in, unless it's tile in which case you'll need to put a layer of hardybacker down then float it before you start the tiling process.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
OK, what if it's manufacturer approved?

The Easy Way Out posted:

Can I install 12" X 12" tiles over an existing vinyl sheet floor?
Yes. We recommend no more than two layers of vinyl flooring at a time unless the flooring is on concrete, below grade. If that is the case, we do not recommend installing a second layer of flooring. In other situations, if you already have two layers, we suggest you put down new wood underlayment before installing your tiles. If you have only one layer of vinyl, prepare the floor with Armstrong One-Part Embossing Leveler, to prevent the old vinyl pattern from telegraphing through the new pattern of tile flooring.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Richard Noggin posted:

My buddy laid stick on vinyl tile (the kind with beveled edges for grouting) right on top of his old sheet linoleum, and it's held up fine for over two years.

I used the same stuff, but my old linoleum had some bubbles, so I just pulled it all up.

Frost
Dec 6, 2003
Don't let the Frost bite you
I have a quick painting question. To replace that final annoying piece of Ikea furniture I pulled a nice old table out of a friends basement, disassembled it and sanded it down. The table's surface was a banged up linoleum sheet so I filled the holes and nodges and decided to paint it over with white acrylic paint. That all worked well except for a few red paint stains that were on the original surface.
They were so soaked into the material that I couldn't completely sand them off without leaving a visible dent, so I did my best to clean it and painted them over.

The problem is, the old paint seems to be reacting with every new layer I put on and raises to the surface to become visible after some ten minutes of the paint being on. So far I have 3 layers on and I can't get the stains covered, even after extensive drying between layers. I didn't really want to put more than 3 or 4 layers of paint on because there's a wooden border around the table surface which I just want to put clear sealing on and the edge between the borders and 3 layers of paint is already quite noticable.

Any idea on how to get these stains properly covered?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

^^^ Go to Home Depot and get a product called Kilz odorless aerosol. Spray it on, wait an hour, then spray it on again to make sure you get a good coat of it. The stain shouldn't come through after that. If you're extra anal about it, get some tsp first, rub down the area, wait until it's dry then spray it with Kilz.

Richard Noggin posted:

You can try it, but it's always better to start with a bare surface rather than putting new stuff down on top of old because you never know about the original adhesive or how long it's been there or is going to last.

keykey fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 16, 2010

Frost
Dec 6, 2003
Don't let the Frost bite you
Ok, I don't have Home Depot in Germany but I think I can find an equivalent. Thanks!

Frost fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 16, 2010

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

keykey posted:

You can try it, but it's always better to start with a bare surface rather than putting new stuff down on top of old because you never know about the original adhesive or how long it's been there or is going to last.

The upside is that this is a very-seldomly-used bathroom (unless you count the cat walking to the litterbox). The existing floor is in good shape, it's just not going to match the color scheme. We're also going to be selling the house.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Have you ever laid tile before? Tile is easy to do, but even easier to screw up if you take shortcuts. Get a utility knife, measuring tape, pencil and a steel square.

Make sure your floor is absolutely spotless first, this is important. Anything in between the tile and floor will cause the tiles to not stick properly.

You may want to take the kickboards and door threshold off the walls and floor carefully first so that your installation will look better. Try using a flexible putty knife on the kickboards. Since the threshold and kickboards will cover the very edges when you're done, you don't have to be perfect with those cuts.

The thing with stick on tiles is that most DIYers start in one corner and start laying them from there, laying them along a wall and then working out into the room. Here's the problem: walls are never straight, ever. So don't use them as the starting line, you will only get little gaps all over in the middle of the floor and you won't know why.

Instead, draw a short line in the center one way and use a square to draw the perpendicular center line to make a 2 foot X. Measure out your bathroom floor from the center lines before you lay anything down though. You might end up with tiles almost reaching the walls and you would have to cut thin strips for the edges. Depending on how rigid your tiles are, cutting thin strips may be impossible. If you do end up with having to cut thin edges, you can start your first tile by centering it on the center line instead. You'll end up with much wider edge tiles that way. Don't forget to do this for both directions! Once the first tile is set in the middle of the floor, lay all of your other tiles off of that one. This is also important, this is how you avoid mid-floor gaps.

Remember how walls aren't ever straight? Don't assume edge pieces are rectangles, measure once, draw a line straight across with a square and cut a tile that leaves a gap on one end. Edge tiles are ALWAYS trapezoids. Measure the distance on both edges, mark them on the tile and cut a straight line in between those two marks with a straightedge.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

kid sinister posted:

Have you ever laid tile before? Tile is easy to do, but even easier to screw up if you take shortcuts. Get a utility knife, measuring tape, pencil and a steel square.

Make sure your floor is absolutely spotless first, this is important. Anything in between the tile and floor will cause the tiles to not stick properly.

You may want to take the kickboards and door threshold off the walls and floor carefully first so that your installation will look better. Try using a flexible putty knife on the kickboards. Since the threshold and kickboards will cover the very edges when you're done, you don't have to be perfect with those cuts.

The thing with stick on tiles is that most DIYers start in one corner and start laying them from there, laying them along a wall and then working out into the room. Here's the problem: walls are never straight, ever. So don't use them as the starting line, you will only get little gaps all over in the middle of the floor and you won't know why.

Instead, draw a short line in the center one way and use a square to draw the perpendicular center line to make a 2 foot X. Measure out your bathroom floor from the center lines before you lay anything down though. You might end up with tiles almost reaching the walls and you would have to cut thin strips for the edges. Depending on how rigid your tiles are, cutting thin strips may be impossible. If you do end up with having to cut thin edges, you can start your first tile by centering it on the center line instead. You'll end up with much wider edge tiles that way. Don't forget to do this for both directions! Once the first tile is set in the middle of the floor, lay all of your other tiles off of that one. This is also important, this is how you avoid mid-floor gaps.

Remember how walls aren't ever straight? Don't assume edge pieces are rectangles, measure once, draw a line straight across with a square and cut a tile that leaves a gap on one end. Edge tiles are ALWAYS trapezoids. Measure the distance on both edges, mark them on the tile and cut a straight line in between those two marks with a straightedge.

This is really good advice. Thanks!

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
Thanks for the advice. I have laid tile before, but only once. I've already planned on removing the baseboards. I picked up the tile and some embossing leveler last night. Once I have the room painted, I'll clean the floor well, let it dry overnight, then apply the leveler. That should give a perfect surface for the tile to stick to. If I remember, I'll take before and after pics.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Richard Noggin posted:

embossing leveler

FYI do not mix that stuff until you're ready to pour and smooth it! Floor leveling compounds begin to set up in as short as 10 minutes. Do a quick job, you can always sand it flat later.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Dammit, I wrote out a long post for a new thread and Firefox crashed when I was almost ready to post. I don't feel like writing it all out again so do me a favor and tell me how this looks.

Basically I replacing a shoddy, termite eaten wall that runs through the middle of my workshop. The roof is 2x4s and tin, not much weight.

What is.

What will be. Check my thinking on this. Idea is to open up the space and replace the existing wall.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

kid sinister posted:

Going to be laying tile for the first time soon, will keep all this in mind. Put in the Hardiboard today. Still have to pick up the tile. Theres some for $6.20 a sq ft I like but I can't tell if $350 for a small bathrooms worth of tile is good or bad

I need to buy a threshold before I start though (I think) so I can tile right up to it and grout around. There's a pretty huge difference in floor height between the rest of the house and the bathroom. House is 1x6 plank subfloor with pretty thin oak floor. bathroom is plank subfloor, 5/8 plywood, 1/4 backerboard, then tile. Will I be able to find a threshold?

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

kid sinister posted:

FYI do not mix that stuff until you're ready to pour and smooth it! Floor leveling compounds begin to set up in as short as 10 minutes. Do a quick job, you can always sand it flat later.

The stuff I got is pre-mixed. You apply it in a super thin coat with a trowel, just enough to fill the tiny bumps in the existing floor.

quote:

Pour a small amount of S-199 onto the floor and fill the embossed areas by using a smooth-edge trowel. Continue pouring small amounts on the floor and troweling smooth. Hold the trowel at a 60° angle and apply the leveler with the same motion as spreading a conventional adhesive, troweling at a 45° angle to the embossing. Smooth any ridges that may form. Remove S-199 from the raised unembossed areas with the trowel. Working time is approximately 15-20 minutes.

Drying time is one to two hours depending on temperature, humidity and thickness of application. S-199 must be completely dry before proceeding with the installation of new flooring. After the leveler is completely dry, trowel ridges and unevenness can be removed by scraping with a wallpaper scraper or the front edge of the trowel.

Under most conditions, one application of S-199 will sufficiently level the existing flooring. If the new flooring has very little embossing, the installer should inspect the initial application for smoothness after it has dried. The installer may determine a second application of S-199 is needed to properly smooth the substrate. The second application must be made after the first has completely dried (1-2 hours). The second application must be allowed to completely dry before proceeding.

morethanjake32
Apr 5, 2009

wormil posted:

walls
The only problem I see is that on the current drawing the top chord is supported at 1/3 spacing and on the new it is at 1/2 spacing. It looks like the only thing that you should really change design wise is the new lintel and the additional columns.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

dwoloz posted:

Will I be able to find a threshold?

"Find"? Maybe. If not, then you could always go to a lumber store (NOT a hardware store, one that strictly deals with lumber) and have them cut you one. I'd get oak again to match your current floor, but staining it to match and sealing it would be up to you.

You're doing ceramic tile, right? Then you have one more step. Once you have the backer board down and before you lay any ceramic tiles, lay a piece of corrugated cardboard down with a tile on top by any doorjamb inside and draw a pencil line across. Now just cut that section out with a hand saw (they make special saws with offset handles just for this use). This will leave room under the jamb and trim so you can just slide a tile underneath later, with a 1/8" gap for the thinset and any wood expansion with temperature changes. Pay attention to where you're putting your threshold, you most likely won't be cutting across the entire doorjamb and you don't want to leave big gap outside the bathroom door.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

I just bought a house built in 1908 that is a renovated vacant - in order to be sold, it had to basically be gutted and brought up to code, with proper permits pulled and city inspections and all. This means all the wiring - electrical, cable, phone - is shiny new and (assuming the city inspector isn't a total hack) done correctly.

The thing I'm trying to figure out has to do with the wiring for the phones. It looks like Cat5 was used to wire all the phone jacks, and the extra wires that didn't fit into the RJ11 were just cut back. I have no idea how the phone jacks are wired in relation to each other, nor do I really know how to find out. Does this sound like something where I can replace the RJ11s with RJ45s and have a proper network in the house? Like, so I could plug a router into one jack and then all the rest will magically have internets available through them?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

morethanjake32 posted:

The only problem I see is that on the current drawing the top chord is supported at 1/3 spacing and on the new it is at 1/2 spacing. It looks like the only thing that you should really change design wise is the new lintel and the additional columns.

The two points I'm supporting in the concept sketch are two joists that run the length of the building, that's where most of the ceiling load is. The center point is pointless as there was nothing above it connecting to the actual roof. There is a pier under the old center post (which I've already removed as it was termite infested). It would probably be a good idea to have a center post supporting the header but that limits the functionality of my tablesaw. If my beam sags and I have to do it, I will, but I hope not to have to do it.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

dur posted:

I just bought a house built in 1908 that is a renovated vacant - in order to be sold, it had to basically be gutted and brought up to code, with proper permits pulled and city inspections and all. This means all the wiring - electrical, cable, phone - is shiny new and (assuming the city inspector isn't a total hack) done correctly.

The thing I'm trying to figure out has to do with the wiring for the phones. It looks like Cat5 was used to wire all the phone jacks, and the extra wires that didn't fit into the RJ11 were just cut back. I have no idea how the phone jacks are wired in relation to each other, nor do I really know how to find out. Does this sound like something where I can replace the RJ11s with RJ45s and have a proper network in the house? Like, so I could plug a router into one jack and then all the rest will magically have internets available through them?

You would need to find out if each jack is wired individually back to the demarc and see if you could free up enough slack for a patch panel somewhere. Daisy chaining is allowed for phones, but doesn't work for network wiring. Basically, pull every jack off the wall and look in the box to see if 2 or more wires and joined in any box.

Phones are usually wired for the A standard if it helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I know this is probably unanswerable, but my shower is a piece of poo poo and I'm looking at getting it replaced (the shower walls are tiled, and they leak, and the tub is an old and ugly piece of poo poo). So it'll basically involve a new tub, tearing out the tile and putting up one of those plastic three-walled thingers, and installation. Anyone want to hazard a guess what this might run me? If location matters it's Richmond, VA.