Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja
My guess is that the family and friends would be PISSED. Plus, no gifts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PopRocks
Jul 4, 2003

WTF am I reading?
Good lord, maso you have the best bridal photos ever!

Smai posted:

Has anyone ever gotten legally married, not told a soul, and then had a gigantic one-year anniversary party to let everyone know and celebrate the love still being there (as well as a major national statistical defeat)? I've never heard of anyone doing that, but I would be interested to see how it goes over with friends and family.

I think it's definitely better to tell people, even just to say, "We can't afford a wedding right now, but we'll have an anniversary party in a year and we're really looking forward to celebrating with you then!"

You don't want to end up like this goon, Elopement and Pregnancy - how do I break the news to our families?

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

anythingbutbloo posted:

I've found that, at most weddings, guests remember the length of the ceremony (especially if it is long or if there is a HUGE gap between the ceremony and reception), the food/drink and the music/dancing. In fact, talking to most of my guy friends, it's all about the food/drink and music.

What defines a huge gap? (I am starting to worry...)

Our ceremony is at 1, cocktails/hors d'oeuvres at 5, dinner at 6. So about a three hour gap. We were hoping that since our reception is near the Milwaukee Art Museum/other museums and near the Summerfest grounds (where it will be Irish Fest that weekend), we could recommend these attractions to our guests so that it didn't seem like such a huge gap.

Good idea/bad idea?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

vanessa posted:

Our ceremony is at 1, cocktails/hors d'oeuvres at 5, dinner at 6. So about a three hour gap. We were hoping that since our reception is near the Milwaukee Art Museum/other museums and near the Summerfest grounds (where it will be Irish Fest that weekend), we could recommend these attractions to our guests so that it didn't seem like such a huge gap.

Good idea/bad idea?

I dunno, I don't really think anyone would want to pay ~$20 per person to go to Irish Fest or MAM for a couple hours. Especially in wedding attire. If you keep that large gap, I'd bet a lot of people would just find a bar to hang out it. Maybe recommend some (inexpensive) bars around there? Plus parking is an issue. I don't know exactly where you're getting married, but parking downtown sucks, especially if you've got Irish Fest parking to deal with. I'd want to park in one spot for the day, if possible. And no one will want to walk very far in heels...That's just my opinion but you knwo your friends/family better than I do.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I dunno, I don't really think anyone would want to pay ~$20 per person to go to Irish Fest or MAM for a couple hours. Especially in wedding attire. If you keep that large gap, I'd bet a lot of people would just find a bar to hang out it. Maybe recommend some (inexpensive) bars around there? Plus parking is an issue. I don't know exactly where you're getting married, but parking downtown sucks, especially if you've got Irish Fest parking to deal with. I'd want to park in one spot for the day, if possible. And no one will want to walk very far in heels...That's just my opinion but you knwo your friends/family better than I do.

I'm gonna have to agree. The last thing I'd want to do as a wedding guest is go to an Irish Festival in my pretty dress & heels. Three hours is a long time to kill in a city you don't live in. Vanessa is there a reason why you're having the ceremony so early in the day?

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.
We're having the ceremony at a church, which dictates what time we do that, and the restrictions on the reception venue (and wanting to do an actual dinner versus afternoon appetizers) dictated what time we had the reception. Every wedding I've been to has had that kind of gap between ceremony and reception, so I guess I assumed it was normal??

We were sort of hoping that by giving suggestions of things to do, people would get the idea and NOT wear heels or anything too fancy. I can see how walking around festival grounds might not be desirable, but the museum wouldn't be too bad.

Bah, and here everything was so stress free.

Lingling
Jun 13, 2008

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, yeah~

Ms. Happiness posted:

Has anybody had to deal with a wedding where your parent/grandparent has a bad illness?

My dad has been battling with ALS for 7 years now. I got engaged recently and was debating on where to have the wedding (hometown where my parents live or elsewhere). I'd really like it in a place other than the hometown because I love the church and priest in the other place. I would do it in my hometown if it's easier on my dad being there for the wedding.

Well I just chatted with my dad a couple days ago and he said it would be too much of a bother for him to come to the wedding no matter where it's being held. While this is just really disheartening news, I understand how he feels that way. He can't walk, eat, or write without help and even getting him a few blocks away would be really hard on my mom and my brother who'd have to take care of him the entire time.

So I'm trying to brainstorm ideas on how I can include him in my wedding without him actually being there. Has anybody else been in this situation and could offer advice?

Could you get a webcam and do some sort of set up, so you could see him on a screen, and he could see you. He could get all dressed up too, and make a speech :3

Button
Mar 24, 2007

vanessa posted:

Good idea/bad idea?

I agree with other posters. 3 hours is a long time to kill when you are dressed up. Could you do cocktails/hors d'oeuvres and cake at 2ish and have everything end at a time where people could then go have dinner? Maybe 6 or 7? That way you have less of a gap, people still get enough food, and you have plenty of time to socialize and dance if you were planning that. You will also save a lot of money this way since you don't need to serve a full meal.

Communista
Mar 13, 2005

Ah, yes. The sweeping majesty of young, white Republican love
I have a question for those who used Milly Bridal or a website that is similar for their wedding dress. Did they, or can they bustle the train for you, or did you have to go somewhere else to have that done?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

vanessa posted:

Good idea/bad idea?
A lot of people do this due to church concerns, so it's pretty common. I absolutely hate going to weddings like this, so mine will be a 5:30 ceremony, 6:00 cocktails, but I think it bothers other people less than me.

I have one this summer that's an 11:00 ceremony, 6:00 reception. Absurd.

brambling lass
Feb 19, 2005

A clock isn't time; it's just numbers and springs. Pay it no mind.

vanessa posted:

We're having the ceremony at a church, which dictates what time we do that, and the restrictions on the reception venue (and wanting to do an actual dinner versus afternoon appetizers) dictated what time we had the reception. Every wedding I've been to has had that kind of gap between ceremony and reception, so I guess I assumed it was normal??

We were sort of hoping that by giving suggestions of things to do, people would get the idea and NOT wear heels or anything too fancy. I can see how walking around festival grounds might not be desirable, but the museum wouldn't be too bad.

Bah, and here everything was so stress free.

Honestly, the worst gap I've heard of was 5 hours. Luckily, I didn't go to that wedding. Your gap of 3 hours is pretty standard, especially for church weddings/evening receptions. I won't lie -- guests don't like it, as they find themselves milling about looking for something to do while waiting (and face it, people like to and will dress up for weddings, no matter), but it isn't the end of the world. I've been to a wedding like this, am going to go to another one next month like this, and I'll survive :) In the end, it's your day and your big memories, so don't let something as standard as a traditional ceremony/reception gap trouble you -- people will understand, are likely used to it, and are there for you guys anyway.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Well, if we were in the UK I know what my fiance and I would be spending all our money on for the wedding: http://tanklimo.com/tank_limo_hire.htm

:sigh: I can't find anything similar in New England.

Cota Froise
May 12, 2009

Did you really just post that?
I have a slight problem:

Our wedding is about 3 months away, and during a discussion about photographs I asked my partner what his parents were likely to be wearing - would they dress for a formal wedding, considering I'd only ever seen them in old t-shirts, joggers and fleeces, even when going out to dinner? He tells me he doubts they even own any formal clothes, and it probably wouldn't occur to them to "dress up" since that would mean buying new outfits (they're somewhat not well-off).

Personally, I feel they should "make an effort" (read: I couldn't care less where they get 'em, they could borrow from friends or whatever, but I think they should wear smart clothes instead of joggers.) since it's their son's wedding and they are going to be at the head table. They will also be in some of the main photographs, and those are fairly important to me. Another issue (by no means my main concern, because I am too busy being fussy about the photographs and such) is that my Granny is fairly old-fashioned and would definitely be offended by them dressing down at her granddaughter's wedding, and she might vocalise this to them.

Is there any way I can (or can get the groom to) broach this subject with them, or would that be rude and incredibly selfish?

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Cota Froise posted:

Is there any way I can (or can get the groom to) broach this subject with them, or would that be rude and incredibly selfish?

Just to make you feel better, I'd have a problem with this too. Your fiance needs to be the one to bring it up, since they're his parents. I can't believe that someone would show up to their son's wedding in track suits, but I guess it's possible. Not that your fiance should guilt them into it, but he should appeal to the side of them that wouldn't want people talking about them behind their backs. If they show up in sweats, it is guaranteed that everyone will think they are white trash.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

These were our save the dates;

Getting married at the museum of contemporary art gave me the inspiration to make it Lichtenstein themed;

I got them printed through work on high gloss card, DL sized and we put a magnet on the back. It's weird seeing them on the fridges of all our friends and family.

This is the venue,

Our wedding will be on the balcony on the left hand side in the afternoon.

You can see the MCA building center right above the Ferry;

This is the view from the balcony;

Pressure is now on me to do the invitations.. I want to continue the contemporary art theme, but I am having a hell of a time putting it together.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Wow, that is such an awesome idea. Love the STD cards!

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Cota Froise posted:

He tells me he doubts they even own any formal clothes, and it probably wouldn't occur to them to "dress up" since that would mean buying new outfits (they're somewhat not well-off).

I've known a few people with this situation - The solution is to take them shopping. It won't cost you anything to buy a couple of nice outfits "for the wedding." If you have a stylist coming in invite the mother-in-law to get her hair and makeup done as well.

That would resolve the situation, and you'll help them fit in and feel comfortable.

PopRocks
Jul 4, 2003

WTF am I reading?
I love those save the date cards, very clever.

Cota Froise posted:

I have a slight problem:

Our wedding is about 3 months away, and during a discussion about photographs I asked my partner what his parents were likely to be wearing - would they dress for a formal wedding, considering I'd only ever seen them in old t-shirts, joggers and fleeces, even when going out to dinner? He tells me he doubts they even own any formal clothes, and it probably wouldn't occur to them to "dress up" since that would mean buying new outfits (they're somewhat not well-off).

Personally, I feel they should "make an effort" (read: I couldn't care less where they get 'em, they could borrow from friends or whatever, but I think they should wear smart clothes instead of joggers.) since it's their son's wedding and they are going to be at the head table. They will also be in some of the main photographs, and those are fairly important to me. Another issue (by no means my main concern, because I am too busy being fussy about the photographs and such) is that my Granny is fairly old-fashioned and would definitely be offended by them dressing down at her granddaughter's wedding, and she might vocalise this to them.

Can't the father of the groom hire or rent formal wear with the rest of the bridal party? I mean, all your groomsmen don't own tuxes, they're renting, right?

For your future mother in law, I'm sure you and your fiance could go shopping with her and get her something she likes for around $50 as a gift, and it be good bonding for you and your future mother-in-law.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Don't wanna be your man, just wanna play with you.
I just kind of skimmed over the thread, so apologies if this has been asked before. I'm planning on getting married in my parents' backyard, on their deck. I don't belong to any church, but I was baptized Lutheran. I'm wondering how common it is to find someone to officiate the ceremony who isn't a religious figure. I don't mind religion being in the ceremony, it just seems easier to go non-denominational. I'm right outside of Chicago if that helps. I just know goons know their poo poo, so I figured I'd ask you first.

Loving the art museum wedding, btw.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Isis in Illinois you can have an internet ordained minister marry you. If you can find a friend who can keep a straight face for a few minutes, you can tailor the ceremony however you want. My husband married my brother and sister-in-law in Chicago. Many venues also have a list of recommended ministers and pastors on file that you can call if you are in need of one. I'm sure in Chicago you can find quite a few "Dial-A-Minister"s if you look in the right place.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Don't wanna be your man, just wanna play with you.

Gravitee posted:

if you look in the right place.

That's my problem, I don't know where to begin to look. :[

deviledseraphim
Jan 22, 2002
me gusta besar el pollo desnudo!!

Isis Q. Dylan posted:

That's my problem, I don't know where to begin to look. :[

http://www.decidio.com/local-businesses/officiants-chicago-illinois-s52.html

Try this, maybe?

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
That's a great one. A quick "Minister services chicago" google search came up with a few. Try any Chicago brides message board on theknot or Offbeat brides and ask for recommendations.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
We had a friend get ordained through Universal Life Church and she married us. It was fantastic.

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy

zap actionsdower! posted:

We had a friend get ordained through Universal Life Church and she married us. It was fantastic.

That's what we're doing as well. I'm really looking forward to it because it's someone that we've known for years and years, not a complete stranger, so the ceremony will be a lot more personal and meaningful (to us, anyway).

Friendly Geek
Aug 11, 2005
Your friendly neighborhood geek. Friendly and/or geeky since 1982.
Here's another question for you guys. We're a little less than 6 months out, and I'm starting to think about what I'm going to get him for a wedding present, but we haven't really broached the subject except to say "hey, that'd be a fun wedding present" just in passing, or people saying "oh hey, wedding present!!" to us about one thing or another. I've got a couple ideas, but we haven't really gone into talking about budget stuff for that. (I'm really hoping he's not forumstalking me right now...) In my head, I've got things anywhere from a beer home brewing kit (anywhere from $95-400) to racing school (which starts at $700), and all kinds of stuff between.

Am I crazy? What are you guys doing/what did you do for your spouse-to-be?

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
Wait, we're supposed to get poo poo for each other? I sorta figured, you know, the rings and the party and the honeymoon were great gifts to ourselves.

Almost to the 2-month mark for me. Graduating end of may, married end of june. Honestly the most stressful part so far is trying to learn to dance, since we both want to be the leader (swing/lindy hop style). Everything else is way easier than I thought it'd be.

brambling lass
Feb 19, 2005

Friendly Geek posted:

Here's another question for you guys. We're a little less than 6 months out, and I'm starting to think about what I'm going to get him for a wedding present, but we haven't really broached the subject except to say "hey, that'd be a fun wedding present" just in passing, or people saying "oh hey, wedding present!!" to us about one thing or another. I've got a couple ideas, but we haven't really gone into talking about budget stuff for that. (I'm really hoping he's not forumstalking me right now...) In my head, I've got things anywhere from a beer home brewing kit (anywhere from $95-400) to racing school (which starts at $700), and all kinds of stuff between.

Am I crazy? What are you guys doing/what did you do for your spouse-to-be?

I've never heard of this "tradition." We got each other a wedding, rings and a night not at home!

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater
I know a few people here have mentioned using google forms to manage their RSVPs. Anyone willing to share the form that they used? I've made a few versions, but I'm never quite satisfied.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Doc Faustus posted:

I know a few people here have mentioned using google forms to manage their RSVPs. Anyone willing to share the form that they used? I've made a few versions, but I'm never quite satisfied.

https://www.theknot.com has a free RSVP form you can use. It's what I'm doing currently. It even has tabs where you can say if the invite is sent out and what the response is. It's lovely.

brambling lass
Feb 19, 2005

Doc Faustus posted:

A friend who is getting married next month used weddingwire.com to track the RSVPs. I'm honestly not sure what else the site involves, but as a guest, it was really easy to RSVP, and we got an auto-confirmation email as well.

Just throwing that idea out there too; not sure if you were 100% with sticking to google forms or not :) Of course, this site may be more involved than you were looking for!

brambling lass fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 20, 2010

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Doc Faustus posted:

We're using weddingwire.com. We made a website with all the pertinent information about the wedding and are using its RSVP system. It's really easy. You can group people by household and then they just type in their name and check who in the household is coming coming (they can send you notes too). It lets you have RSVPs for the ceremony, reception, rehearsal dinner, and bridal shower for different groups of people once you make guestlists, which are pretty useful as well.

The only thing that annoys me is that there is no automatic guest option, but I just make extra people in the "households" of single people and name them Guest.

I agree with those saying that getting gifts for the spouse is ridiculous, but I hear about it all the time. So we just decided we're going to get each other a dog, when the time is right (which we were going to do anyway).

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

ixo posted:

Wait, we're supposed to get poo poo for each other? I sorta figured, you know, the rings and the party and the honeymoon were great gifts to ourselves.

I have friends that got each other gifts, but we decided that spending money on our honeymoon was our gift to each other.

ucmallory
Jun 23, 2005
We're going to register this weekend, and any advice would be appreciated. If you registered (I know some couples don't), what were things you wish you had registered for? What were things you put on there that, thinking back, you probably wouldn't again?

Prolonged Shame
Sep 5, 2004

ucmallory posted:

We're going to register this weekend, and any advice would be appreciated. If you registered (I know some couples don't), what were things you wish you had registered for? What were things you put on there that, thinking back, you probably wouldn't again?

For the love of god, don't put any 'joke' items on the registry! We put some Nerf dartboard and a bottle of ranch dressing on ours as a joke and to see if people really looked at it. When I checked the registry online before our shower, both were listed as not purchased. We ended up getting two of the dartboards and several bottles of ranch at the shower. Serves us right I guess.

For more practical advice, just think about whether you will really use the things you register for. It's easy to get carried away zapping everything you think is cool, but then you end up with a bunch of stuff you don't really need, meanwhile that one item you *really* wanted is still sitting un-purchased on the registry. Also, definitely make sure to register for a wide variety of prices. Some people might only be able to afford some small kitchen items, while some rich friend might want to outdo everyone else and buy you a TV.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

ucmallory posted:

When do people normally start registering?

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

dopaMEAN posted:

When I asked that, I was told that you register soon after getting engaged (in case people want to buy you engagement gifts. I love the wedding industry). We're getting married in June and we registered in January just because we had time, but no one has bought anything yet. Of course, we've only sent out the Save the Dates so far and not the invitations, so that makes sense to me. I think most people shop last minute, but if someone wants to shop early, the registry should be available to them when they get the invitation.

But that's just my opinion. I guess it also depends on how you're going to tell people about the registry.

Friendly Geek
Aug 11, 2005
Your friendly neighborhood geek. Friendly and/or geeky since 1982.

dopaMEAN posted:

My fiance and I registered REALLY early, because people were asking where we were registered before our engagement party (and there's now a huge pile of gifts sitting in my room and taking up space because of that.) and that was like 15 months out. Basically, about a month before the first shower/party for the wedding is probably a good idea.

Whatever you do, though, make sure you keep up with everything and see if anything's gone to clearance or anything. And also try to make sure you don't put anything too ridiculously expensive, because no one's going to want to buy you a $400 sheet set unless they're crazy. We actually had to change our fine china that we'd registered for because it seems it has been discontinued. (Thank goodness no one had gotten any of it.)

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

dopaMEAN posted:

We've been engaged for almost a year already, our wedding is in about six months, and we just started registering. I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brambling lass
Feb 19, 2005

dopaMEAN posted:

If you do register early, and people actually start buying gifts early (in terms of engagement gifts, shower gifts, etc.) just make sure that the registry still has enough items of varying price for when the actual wedding arrives. Nothing like a ton of wedding guests accessing a registry to see most items are already purchased or cost a lot of money.

We didn't need a lot of items, so we never registered anywhere. Most people gave us cash if they wanted to get a gift.