Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Now I'm intrigued by tapewounds! Seriously thanks for the rundown, I'd always seen bassists talking about these different kinds and thought 'what the hell is going on' - I like the sound of the groundwounds :3: I did ask the guy I bought it from what kind of strings were on there, but he never replied. They feel like roundwounds anyway, as far as I can tell, so I'll probably grab some of those for a point of reference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Yeah I've definitely forgotten about tapewounds, something I haven't tried myself. I bet they'd be the poo poo on a fretless jazz bass!

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Mike N Eich posted:

i also just ripped a callous off while dead lifting, yes i'm a huge crybaby :confused:

Calm down tough guy, I was just teasing you. I'm sure you are very strong.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Doomy posted:

Yeah I've definitely forgotten about tapewounds, something I haven't tried myself. I bet they'd be the poo poo on a fretless jazz bass!

I have them on my fretless P and absolutely love them.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Well this rules, we were well-liked at the battle of the bands to get another gig this time we'll be :siren: paid :siren:

3 short years ago I bought my first bass. Now, with help from 3toes, warwick3s and many others in this thread I'm playing and singing, writing my own basslines and songs. Music owns, this thread owns.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Mike N Eich posted:

Well this rules, we were well-liked at the battle of the bands to get another gig this time we'll be :siren: paid :siren:

3 short years ago I bought my first bass. Now, with help from 3toes, warwick3s and many others in this thread I'm playing and singing, writing my own basslines and songs. Music owns, this thread owns.

Just as long as they're not requiring you to sell tickets for it...

Otherwise congrats!

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
I use ernie ball super slinky bass strings because they come in a pink package.

Question: how do you learn slap bass in 5 words or less.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

gotly posted:

play octaves; laugh out loud

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
hit thumb pull index profit

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
The Slap Bass Program.

pretty much the standard for instructional videos for learning slap.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

http://www.theparlorknoxville.com/instruments/00061.html

I really want this, why did I just buy a p bass

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

A MIRACLE posted:

http://www.theparlorknoxville.com/instruments/00061.html

I really want this, why did I just buy a p bass

Pretty cool. But, you'll always need a P bass. Don't ever sell it, or you'll just buy another one later in life.

Here's a different Roadstar II I need to part with. http://www.flickr.com/photos/whoapower/sets/72157622567929983/

I should post that in the trades section. Not looking for much, but even a cool synth pedal would be cool too.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Mike N Eich posted:

HELL loving YES GOOD WORK

gotly posted:

Honestly, don't worry about it. It's not that useful outside of showing off at guitar shops and BassFest.

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
Bought a set of flats (5 string, to play in C, Chrome D'addario's) and a Big Muff Pi yesterday, and they've already arrived. I love tax returns and I love living 2ish hours from the musician's friend warehouse :D

RTM
May 21, 2001

hewwo!
For those interested in the different sounds you can get from various string types, check out this link. It's focused on DR strings and a Jazz bass, but at least you can get an idea of the tones you can get from different types of strings.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Also, for anyone wondering about "mwah" with tapewounds on a fretless, I posted an old wuss-rock song recorded with an old defunct band in another thread:

brief solo at 1:30 where you can hear it more clearly.

Crouton
Feb 10, 2006
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, cuz there's bugger all down here on Earth.
I'm looking to buy a cheap-ish acoustic bass just for quiet practicing around the house/campfire, in the sub-$500 range. Any recommendations, other than "don't"? I've been going around to local music stores to check out how various models feel, but the selection is poo poo thanks to being a low-demand item, and they're invariably strung with awful strings that sound like garbage, making it impossible to see what it would actually sound like once properly strung and adjusted.

My only real requirement is I don't want a short 30-inch scale, and I'm planning on putting some flatwounds on soon as I get it, since I prefer the way they feel and sound (at least on an electric, if someone wants to tell me why they're a bad idea on an acoustic, feel free). Of course the louder the better, but I'm not expecting too much. What should I buy?

Rev4n
Sep 27, 2006

Right, a plan; let me put on my slightly larger glasses.
So, I am a pretty casual bass player... I've taken lessons and played with varying levels of enthusiasm off and on (very mostly off) since 2000 or so. I know very little about basses, so that's why I'm coming to this thread... I've had my Mexican 5-string Fender Jazz Bass for a long time, but it's not really what I want, so I'm looking into getting a 4-string (instead).

I like having the E string as the lowest/most accessible, since most of the songs I end up wanting to play are vaguely punk-oriented to some degree (I often just end up playing them slid up on the B-string, but it's not the same).

I also like the neck size and string spacing of the P-Basses I've played.

So... mostly just playing by myself or with friends. I don't have a band or anything, and even if I did, it'd be pretty low key.

My questions are these:

1. I'm looking at the $500-range Fender P-basses as what I'm interested in... as a casual player, is the Made-In-Mexico bit going to be problematic (aside from losing cred)?

2. Is there something else in the same price-range that you recommend instead?

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Crouton posted:

I'm looking to buy a cheap-ish acoustic bass just for quiet practicing around the house/campfire, in the sub-$500 range. Any recommendations, other than "don't"? I've been going around to local music stores to check out how various models feel, but the selection is poo poo thanks to being a low-demand item, and they're invariably strung with awful strings that sound like garbage, making it impossible to see what it would actually sound like once properly strung and adjusted.

My only real requirement is I don't want a short 30-inch scale, and I'm planning on putting some flatwounds on soon as I get it, since I prefer the way they feel and sound (at least on an electric, if someone wants to tell me why they're a bad idea on an acoustic, feel free). Of course the louder the better, but I'm not expecting too much. What should I buy?

I have heard that Daddario chromes are quite good on acoustic basses, other than that I have nothing to recommend.

quote:

1. I'm looking at the $500-range Fender P-basses as what I'm interested in... as a casual player, is the Made-In-Mexico bit going to be problematic (aside from losing cred)?

Not in the least, MIM is good stuff and no one worth poo poo gives a gently caress what country your bass was made in. Anyways, you can easily drop in any part to replace what you don't like. You just have to try a few to find a bass you like.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Doomy posted:

Not in the least, MIM is good stuff and no one worth poo poo gives a gently caress what country your bass was made in. Anyways, you can easily drop in any part to replace what you don't like. You just have to try a few to find a bass you like.

Yeah, this is key. I don't think I'd buy an MIM sight unseen - go somewhere that has a few and try them all, quality varies pretty wildly on them but the good ones are Darn Good.

STACK OVERFLOW
Apr 17, 2007

... PWND!

Crouton posted:

My acoustic bass is one of this variety. It does exactly what you need easily. It's a 32" scale, which works fine, but I don't know if you were looking for a full 34" scale.

For strings, have the basses you've been playing had acoustic strings? I personally can't stand the tone from an acoustic bass with electric strings. I see a lot of this in stores and it makes me cry on the inside. Acoustic strings are the way to go, methinks.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Rev4n - a few other options - look for a used HWY1 P bass. They are MIA, but not rated/selling as high as the MIAs. Also, a PJ Special - like the Duff McKagen style bass is a MIJ bass, and used they can be had for well under your price range.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

RTM posted:

For those interested in the different sounds you can get from various string types, check out this link. It's focused on DR strings and a Jazz bass, but at least you can get an idea of the tones you can get from different types of strings.

Hey that's pretty cool, I need to listen to these on some decent speakers though I think - the differences are pretty subtle to me, fingerstyle anyway

Hey Scarf, how much control do you get over the mwah? Is it always present or can you get a more standard tone, then bust out the mwah action when it feels right? I really like the sound though

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh
I'm a guitarist who just started playing bass in a band for fun. I've been borrowing an amp, but I really really need to get my own. I'm in the process of selling my guitar rig to buy a new, so I thought "Hey maybe I could buy something that would work for guitar OR bass. I understand the problems in this, namely that bass amps require much much more headroom to push the low frequencies. BUT the Bassman was originally intended as a bass amp, no?

So my question- could I get something like a blackface Bassman or a 60s Ampeg Gemini and use it for both?

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...
70s Ampeg V4 or V4B would be another option, either can be used as a guitar or bass amp. I have a hard time imagining you doing this with the same cab for both though. I think at the very least you'd need an amp that can go both ways and different cabs for guitar and bass use. Could be a pretty cool modular rig if you get a head that you like for both uses and then say a nice bass 2x10 and a nice guitar 1x12.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

DaFuente posted:

I'm a guitarist who just started playing bass in a band for fun. I've been borrowing an amp, but I really really need to get my own. I'm in the process of selling my guitar rig to buy a new, so I thought "Hey maybe I could buy something that would work for guitar OR bass. I understand the problems in this, namely that bass amps require much much more headroom to push the low frequencies. BUT the Bassman was originally intended as a bass amp, no?

So my question- could I get something like a blackface Bassman or a 60s Ampeg Gemini and use it for both?

You can absolutely use a bass amp for both guitar and bass. Obviously, you're going to get a deeper tone, so make sure you're all right with that. Some guitarists actually prefer to practice with bass amps.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Since we're at the 50 page mark, I'd like to check in with everyone to make sure this thread is serving their needs. Should anything be added to or changed in the OP?

Rev4n
Sep 27, 2006

Hey all, I had one other quick question, since i don't know anything about basses.

Are specific pickup pole pieces 'tuned' in any way to the string that they're under? In other words, could I put any string over any magnet not be committing heresy?

I've got a 5-string bass, and as I noted in my previous post, I don't really like having 5 strings, so I usually just don't string the B string at all. I'm wondering if I slid the E down to where the B 'should' be, and A to E's spot, and so on... will that be okay (such that there is a blank space where the G would be on a 5-string)?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

The pickups don't care, you'll be fine with that. You might run into problems with the nut though, the strings may sit too low and cause some buzzing on the first few frets.

Rev4n
Sep 27, 2006

DrChu posted:

The pickups don't care, you'll be fine with that. You might run into problems with the nut though, the strings may sit too low and cause some buzzing on the first few frets.

Alrighty, I'll look out for that. I'll probably try it out later and see if I like it. Thanks!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

baka kaba posted:

Hey Scarf, how much control do you get over the mwah? Is it always present or can you get a more standard tone, then bust out the mwah action when it feels right? I really like the sound though

Well, at least with the setup on my fretless, it's always there to some extent. But it's never out of control if you're spot on with your fingering and technique.

SexyGoofTroopGrl
Jun 22, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Explain to me the Mike Watt sound (not technique)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

STINKFACE posted:

Explain to me the Mike Watt sound (not technique)

Kind of difficult considering how much of his sound is the result of his technique, but...

Humbuckers humbuckers and more humbuckers and a tube amp.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Rev4n posted:

Alrighty, I'll look out for that. I'll probably try it out later and see if I like it. Thanks!

The pickups won't care, but you might run into some setup issues. You'll definitely need to make bridge adjustments, probably will need to adjust the truss rod (less string tension bowing the neck will make it flatten out) and might need a new nut.

Also, if you have a fiver and don't use the B, you might as well get a C and see if EADGC fits you better.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Scarf posted:

Kind of difficult considering how much of his sound is the result of his technique, but...

Humbuckers humbuckers and more humbuckers and a tube amp.

That and he primarily uses short-scale basses.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I just sold my lovely bass stack to pay for a padKontrol but now I want a nice little combo to break into the local bar scene with some friends (a new band). So I'm shopping for a bass amp again. I like the sound of 15" drivers better than tens, I go for that deep clean sound you get with flats and five strings (I usually tune BEAD).

Does anyone have recommendations for a nice 15" combo or a separate head / cab combination? Looking to keep it under $450 if possible. I've heard good things about the Acoustic brand. I need something that can keep up with a live drummer, and a PA out wouldn't hurt either - most of the bars in Knoxville have decent setups for live shows.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Scarf posted:

That and he primarily uses short-scale basses.
These days maybe, but if you want a Minutemen-era sound you don't need to get much fancier than a regular scale bass with a PJ setup.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

I just sold my lovely bass stack to pay for a padKontrol but now I want a nice little combo to break into the local bar scene with some friends (a new band). So I'm shopping for a bass amp again. I like the sound of 15" drivers better than tens, I go for that deep clean sound you get with flats and five strings (I usually tune BEAD).

Does anyone have recommendations for a nice 15" combo or a separate head / cab combination? Looking to keep it under $450 if possible. I've heard good things about the Acoustic brand. I need something that can keep up with a live drummer, and a PA out wouldn't hurt either - most of the bars in Knoxville have decent setups for live shows.

Do you care about weight?

If not: Peavey

Rev4n
Sep 27, 2006

warwick5s posted:

Also, if you have a fiver and don't use the B, you might as well get a C and see if EADGC fits you better.

I have no idea why I never thought of that before as an option! You're brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

I r Pat posted:

You know, it very well could be the battery. I haven't changed it since I purchased it a few years ago. I am going to do that tonight, and I'll report back. Thanks for your help guys :)

So I changed my battery and I must have hit some wires loose because I got no sound at all from my bass plugged in. After an hour or so of tweaking with it, it just started working.. weird.

ANYWHO, my bass still sounds distorted with this new battery. I played it through my Peavy combo and I thought it was my combo.. so I tried playing it directly through a soundboard to some monitors and it still does the same thing. Its typically on the low end frequencies only, and it takes away from the rumble I want. I can adjust the tone knobs and it will go away a little bit, but when I turn the volume up to get the rumble I can always hear it a bit.

Any suggestions for me at this point? I don't want no distortion for reggae or jazz songs :(