Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
I just turned 29 and went off the pill in November, I was on it continuously from the age of 15. This was my third cycle charting and really the first cycle I felt was almost normal. Up until this month, I still had spotting 4-5 days before my actual period. This month I finally detected a thermal shift, but never got the right consistency of cervical mucus. Also, my luteal phase was only 8 days if my estimated day of ovulation is correct.

I'm not too worried, I just bought a shitload of testing strips from Amazon so next month I can get a clearer picture. We had to put our awesome cat to sleep the day before I ovulated, so I wasn't really in the mood anyway. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junius
May 14, 2006

Thank you, entertainment committee.

bamzilla posted:

I had no problems getting pregnant when going off the pill and had been on it for years. I also had no pregnancy symptoms other than I just sorta "knew" to test. Not that it makes a huge difference but I was 29.

As far as the positive staying positive - that's your body's decision. Not a whole lot you can do about it. :) Just realize that it's not uncommon. My first pregnancy ended in a miscarriage DAYS after I found out I was pregnant. I was only a couple of weeks along.

Thanks very much for your comments, they make me feel a lot better. I had been discussing pregnancy with my Mum who freaked out when she heard I had only been having periods two or three times a year - she was convinced I'd disrupted the natural order of things and rendered myself infertile. I was fairly certain she was overreacting, as I had the doctor to back me up, but hearing other peoples' stories helps me feel better about having been on the Pill so long without break.

So far it's five days since my period was due and still no sign. I also looked up an article about early pregnancy signs and found I do have a couple of signs I didn't even realise could relate to pregnancy - I've gotten a touch of acne for the first time in my life, I've been peeing almost non-stop, which is very unusual and annoying, and the bumpy things around my nipples have started becoming more prominent, though I assumed that had something to do with an upcoming period.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much, as last month I was a week overdue before my period came, but it's difficult. Especially since I actually got a positive and had that stupid "feeling" this time, which I haven't had any other time. Come this weekend, I'll have a bit clearer idea!

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one

Azulita posted:

Moms Stuffing - did you find a fertility treatment that is safe for nursing?

I'm going to talk to the doctor about it, but I couldn't find anything that suggested I couldn't nurse with the medications I take. The only issue is that breastfeeding might make it harder to get pregnant, so if the doctor wants me to wean because of that, I won't do it. I know too many women who conceived while breastfeeding!

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Junius posted:

Thanks very much for your comments, they make me feel a lot better. I had been discussing pregnancy with my Mum who freaked out when she heard I had only been having periods two or three times a year - she was convinced I'd disrupted the natural order of things and rendered myself infertile. I was fairly certain she was overreacting, as I had the doctor to back me up, but hearing other peoples' stories helps me feel better about having been on the Pill so long without break.

So far it's five days since my period was due and still no sign. I also looked up an article about early pregnancy signs and found I do have a couple of signs I didn't even realise could relate to pregnancy - I've gotten a touch of acne for the first time in my life, I've been peeing almost non-stop, which is very unusual and annoying, and the bumpy things around my nipples have started becoming more prominent, though I assumed that had something to do with an upcoming period.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much, as last month I was a week overdue before my period came, but it's difficult. Especially since I actually got a positive and had that stupid "feeling" this time, which I haven't had any other time. Come this weekend, I'll have a bit clearer idea!

If you haven't, yet, go ahead and start taking prenatal vitamins. Even if you aren't pregnant they're good for your body and if you plan on getting pregnant anyway your body will be better prepared.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
How does endometriosis in the fallopian tubes and the outer uterus affect conception rate? As for everyone whose mothers went through C-sections or have gone through C-sections themselves, do you know what complications there were conceiving and going through development?

I know this is the pregnancy thread and all, but I'm actually hoping to not have a child with the wife. She has severe endometriosis blocking one of her fallopian tubes and also had about fibroids 3x the size of her uterus removed last October resulting in massive amounts of scar tissue. I'm just wondering how likely we are to get pregnant and if I should be so paranoid, especially considering she turns 35 today. She has severe hormone fluctuation problems and has had bad experience with birth control pills (with some evidence that her problems started with birth control pill use), so I feel kind of stupid still using condoms +/-5 days around ovulation with her when I'm loving married. I figured those that actually tried to get pregnant would be a better sample population than those that tried not to.

(Yes, I know the easy answer is to get a vasectomy. There's some political / family issues here that keep me from doing this probably for about 20 years, by which time it won't matter because she'll have finished menopause)

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Talk to her about a copper IUD. It's non-hormonal and an outpatient procedure done by her OBGYN. It's effective for 10 years. There are fertility issues related to Endometriosis, much like with PCOS. There is a book called Endometriosis for Dummies that you might want to have her check out [totally not kidding].

necrobobsledder posted:

I know this is the pregnancy thread and all,

This isn't the pregnancy thread, fyi. You may have better luck with the Birth control megathread.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 14, 2010

Azulita
Dec 9, 2006

by Lowtax

Moms Stuffing posted:

I'm going to talk to the doctor about it, but I couldn't find anything that suggested I couldn't nurse with the medications I take. The only issue is that breastfeeding might make it harder to get pregnant, so if the doctor wants me to wean because of that, I won't do it. I know too many women who conceived while breastfeeding!

I know the official line is that breastfeeding interferes with getting pregnant. But I know at least a dozen or so moms who will tell you otherwise. In fact, I've got an adorable 8 month old niece who was conceived while her big sis was breastfeeding.

Ophelia's Ashes
Jun 4, 2003
Alias the nuisance grounds
Although this question doesn't exactly pretain to the act of getting knocked up, it does have to do with the organization of it!

What did you guys do to financially plan for a baby? Here is Canada we get Maternity benefits (to a max of $400 - ish a week) and that combined with my husband's income is just enough to cover our mortgage! YAY!

How did you guys make sure you were financially prepared?

Sally Slug
Jul 8, 2005

Ride, Sally, ride!

Ophelia's Ashes posted:

Well, we knew we'd be surviving on a student income so we didn't have much to work with. We cut down on a lot of our "fun stuff" budget and started trying to save up a little so we could pay for the expenses of the first year. We bought cloth diapers before the baby showed up when we found a good deal on the brand we wanted and got a lot of baby stuff secondhand. Any clothing that we weren't gifted was generally bought at Value Village or from Old Navy's clearance section. The big items that we couldn't get someone to give us or didn't feel right with buying secondhand were purchased bit by bit over the course of the pregnancy.

We tried to keep things in perspective and figured out roughly what our expenses would be, then found places in our budget where we could trim to make ends meet. Your baby isn't going to care too much if they have one of those super cool but expensive round cribs or a safe but cheap one you found on sale. You can make baby food at home for a fraction of the cost of jarred foods. Your 3 month old doesn't need the amazingly adorable handmade sweater that's at a boutique for $60, but that 6 pack of white onesies will get a lot of use. Basically, people freak out with how expensive a kid is, but the truth is that it's only as expensive as you make it (baring, of course, the unexpected surprise of needing to formula feed or the occasional "crap, we really need this specific item and had no idea, holy hell it costs how much?!" that will pop up from time to time). Of course having a kid costs money, but I find that people tend to go all out and buy a lot of things that they don't really need just because Toys R Us lets you go crazy with the registry scanner.

If you want, we found it helped to set up an education fund as soon as we could. That way when someone asks "what should I get the baby?" You can point them to it unless there is something pressing that you need.

One good way to figure out if your budget works is to actually crunch the numbers, figure out how much it will cost month to month for things like diapers (if you go disposable), formula (again, if you are thinking you will want/need to go that route-- even if you don't try crunching those numbers just in case), clothing, and any other expenses that you think you will run into. Once you have the numbers, live with that budget for a few months. Put aside the money that you save and at the end of it you'll not only know if the budget is livable or in need of adjustment, but you'll have a little nestegg to spend on baby stuff or on a romantic trip to a B&B for the weekend or whatever.

Oh and don't forget to look into what you can get for having a kid when it comes to taxes. Canada is awesome about child benefits.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Ophelia's Ashes posted:

We both had good jobs and really good insurance. My job allowed maternity leave. Saving up helps, as well. Figure up costs beforehand (most insurance providers have websites where they'll tell you what your out of pocket will likely end up coming close to). This was what we did, so we weren't surprised by any out of pocket expenses.

Ophelia's Ashes
Jun 4, 2003
What my husband and I have decided to do is save $9000 over the next few months.

So that means when we have the baby my husbands income and my maternity benefits will be $3288 making our income $39,456. Combined with the $9000 we already have saved will bring us to $48, 456. This will give us $4038 a month for 12 months.

It's a decrease from our income but we are prepared to tighten up the purse strings.

I hope to have $4500 saved a couple months before we get pregnant and then save $1000 a month for 4.5 months of my pregnancy, this will allow us to have money for furniture, clothing, etc. in prep for the baby.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

By saving up alone, you're doing what a lot of people fail to do. :)

kibble
Dec 31, 2003
all kibble - none of the bits

bamzilla posted:

By saving up alone, you're doing what a lot of people fail to do. :)

Kudos! Way to be prepared for your baby. :) We also paid off all of our credit card debt before our baby was born.

Also we had no idea that our baby would be born with a heart murmur so we were very happy to have a bit of a cushion for those medical expenses.

Ophelia's Ashes
Jun 4, 2003

kibble posted:

Kudos! Way to be prepared for your baby. :) We also paid off all of our credit card debt before our baby was born.

Also we had no idea that our baby would be born with a heart murmur so we were very happy to have a bit of a cushion for those medical expenses.

Thanks so much! I'm so anal about money, I want to make sure that all of our bases our covered.

We are planning to be out of credit card debt (only 6k left!) as well before we start trying.

Did your baby have to have an operation due to his/her heart murmur?

kibble
Dec 31, 2003

Ophelia's Ashes posted:

Thanks so much! I'm so anal about money, I want to make sure that all of our bases our covered.

We are planning to be out of credit card debt (only 6k left!) as well before we start trying.

Did your baby have to have an operation due to his/her heart murmur?

She's only three months old and her cardiologist says it's pretty faint, but we'll find out more at her next appointment on the 30th. :)

Ophelia's Ashes
Jun 4, 2003

kibble posted:

She's only three months old and her cardiologist says it's pretty faint, but we'll find out more at her next appointment on the 30th. :)

Good luck! Lots of babies grow out of murmurs, hopefully your little one falls into that category.

Pixi
Apr 16, 2001

I am loved.

Roxy Rouge posted:

Checking back in with you all--round 3 with clomid was a bust. I switched the clomid up a bit this month on the advice from my doctor--I guess we we will see. I am taking a break next month on the clomid if this one doesn't take. I think maybe I just need a break? My thoughts are with all of you trying and especially Dishonesty and Long Pig...I hope you both get a sticky one soon.

I am sending you massive "break from Clomid = BABBY" vibes! Hey, it happened to me :)

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Ophelia's Ashes posted:

Although this question doesn't exactly pretain to the act of getting knocked up, it does have to do with the organization of it!

What did you guys do to financially plan for a baby? Here is Canada we get Maternity benefits (to a max of $400 - ish a week) and that combined with my husband's income is just enough to cover our mortgage! YAY!

NOthing. We live in Norway where you get 10 months of fully paid leave (to split between the mother and father) or 12 months of 80% pay. Never really thought about how mcuh worse it can be in other places before now :-S

Junius
May 14, 2006

bamzilla posted:

If you haven't, yet, go ahead and start taking prenatal vitamins. Even if you aren't pregnant they're good for your body and if you plan on getting pregnant anyway your body will be better prepared.

Thanks for the advice - I've actually been taking prenatal vitamins for a few months in preparation for pregnancy. I skipped a few weeks when we went overseas on our honeymoon, but have been taking them every night since. And I thought the nuisance of remembering a pill every night would be over with once we started trying for kids!

Ophelia's Ashes posted:

We've prepared by pouring all of our spare income into our homeloan (which we can redraw on fee-free) so that we have the option of either withdrawing a lump sum, should a big expense suddenly come up, or we can skip repayments if we just need a little more cash one pay period. We've also got a fairly respectable amount of savings set aside that we try not to access often. We're also lucky in that we have avoided the need for a credit card or store card, as those things can be tricky to maintain.

Aside from all that, I have a pretty good maternity scheme through my work and my husband is looking into picking up a few casual hours of work after hours, in addition to his current job. Here in Australia mothers are also eligible for a once-off baby bonus of, I believe, a couple of thousand dollars; as well as ongoing child allowance payments, though I'm not sure how much they are.

All in all, I think we've got it pretty good in our situation. Like Panne, I never thought much about how this works in other countries.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
My husband got excited and told his family we are trying. :( I did not want this because now I feel enormous pressure. My mother in law is already collecting items for our not-yet-conceived child. I have a tipped uterus and a pretty irregular cycle still; I am OK with the fact that it might take a while to get knocked up but I don't want people all up in my poo poo about it. UGH

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004
Oh, that sucks :(

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Argh, I'm so sorry to hear that...having to deal with family pressure sucks :( I don't plan on telling anyone, not even my own mother that we're trying. The amount of stress and unwanted advice she will throw at me will just piss me off and probably damage our relationship even further.

Anyway, I've been checking daily but no hit on the ovulation tests yet. We did have sex the previous 2 days though, since I ovulated around the 20th last month...so I'm hoping the whole 'have sex a few days before, during and after ovulation days' method works this time. I also bought some Pre Seed lube from early-pregnancy.com...not sure if the rave reviews on the site are legit, but it is helping with making the sex more enjoyable at the very least.

Azulita
Dec 9, 2006

by Lowtax
The rave reviews are legit. I'm 9 months pregnant and still use the stuff now.

brambling lass
Feb 19, 2005

A clock isn't time; it's just numbers and springs. Pay it no mind.
I consider myself lucky. Both sets of parents never even mentioned grandchildren, except to say "you enjoy your lives as the two of you, and what happens happens," in so many words. No pressure to hurry, no pressure to even have kids. In fact, if we had told either of them that we were trying, it likely would have registered as an awkward too-much-information moment for them :haw:.

We'd been saying that we wanted kids for a couple years, and were just waiting for the right time, so that may have held them more at bay, who knows. Either way, I can't imagine having a parent that into our personal intimate lives.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

Noirex posted:

Argh, I'm so sorry to hear that...having to deal with family pressure sucks :( I don't plan on telling anyone, not even my own mother that we're trying. The amount of stress and unwanted advice she will throw at me will just piss me off and probably damage our relationship even further.

Anyway, I've been checking daily but no hit on the ovulation tests yet. We did have sex the previous 2 days though, since I ovulated around the 20th last month...so I'm hoping the whole 'have sex a few days before, during and after ovulation days' method works this time. I also bought some Pre Seed lube from early-pregnancy.com...not sure if the rave reviews on the site are legit, but it is helping with making the sex more enjoyable at the very least.

I ended up telling my parents because GOD FORBID they EVER found out his parents knew before them...:suicide: We're both very close to our parents since we have really small families. I would have preferred to keep it private, but now that it's out there I'll speak to them if it gets too out of hand.

Pre-Seed is pretty awesome, we just got some of that too along with a million ovulation test strips!

dishonesty
Sep 11, 2001

There's no place like home.

Junius posted:

Here in Australia mothers are also eligible for a once-off baby bonus of, I believe, a couple of thousand dollars; as well as ongoing child allowance payments, though I'm not sure how much they are.

The baby bonus is currently $5,185 per child that you give birth to. It's no longer a lump-sum, but paid in 13 fortnightly instalments, so just under $400 a fortnight for 6 months or so.

As for the parenting payments, those are income dependent, but even as a couple, you can get parenting payment, so it's not just for singles.

Junius
May 14, 2006

dishonesty posted:

The baby bonus is currently $5,185 per child that you give birth to. It's no longer a lump-sum, but paid in 13 fortnightly instalments, so just under $400 a fortnight for 6 months or so.

As for the parenting payments, those are income dependent, but even as a couple, you can get parenting payment, so it's not just for singles.

Wow, this all sounds even better than I thought. Our plan for once I fell pregnant was that I would work for as long as I feel able than take 12 months maternity leave and perhaps go back to part time work after that or earlier, depending on what our financial situation was like. As such, I've only briefly looked into what the government is offering us, as we want to be as independently ready as possible before looking at what else we're eligible for.

Also, I'm very pleased to have my pregnancy confirmed! I took a test at my doctor appointment which also came up positive and am just waiting on the result of my blood test to give me an idea of how far along I am. We're stoked!

kibble
Dec 31, 2003

Junius posted:

Also, I'm very pleased to have my pregnancy confirmed! I took a test at my doctor appointment which also came up positive and am just waiting on the result of my blood test to give me an idea of how far along I am. We're stoked!

Congratulations! :)

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Congratulations :woop: Take good care of yourself!

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

I have a funny (and embarrassing) story to relate. Monday I took a pregnancy test and once again it was negative. Today I went to the dentist for a toothache and for the first time got to check off "Yes" on the Are you pregnant/Trying to get pregnant question. The dental assistant and I were joking around about pregnancy and everything while she prepped me, then the dentist came in and looked at my teeth and said that he could work on a tooth right then, if I wanted.

I've had bad dental experiences in the past, so I tensed up and, obviously with pregnancy still on my mind, blurted, "Only if you can knock me up really well!"

There was a dead moment of silence as I'm sure my face went bright red, then the dentist cleared his throat and said, "Well, I can't knock you OUT, but I can give you some strong local anesthetic."

Please tell me someone else has said something equally as horrifying to someone they shouldn't have. It's starting to be funny now in retrospect, but hell was it embarrassing when I said it.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

So, I haven't ovulated this month yet, and tested negative on pregnancy tests. I'm pretty regular so I'm not sure what's going on. It's still about another week before I'm officially late, but I doubt I'm pregnant because I have zero syndromes and never had the right mucus consistency this month.

I think I might just be late from the stress of TTC maybe or maybe did ovulate and missed it somehow. All this guessing and hopeful waiting sucks....I almost wish my period would come so I know for sure and can mentally move on to try again next month.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I am officially up the duff!!!!!!!!

Yeeha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry.

Noirex, I know exactly how you feel, last month I cried at a small childs birthday party because it just seemed impossible to think it would ever happen. Periods had started to get hosed up, etc. Posting here helped cos it reminds us how many are in the same boat.

What seemed to work for me was deciding to stop trying for a few months (and also quitting my job because I wanted to control other aspects of my life I felt unhappy about which has landed me in the poo poo a bit but frankly its worth it). We hardly even had sex either really compared to usual months.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Congratulations hookerbot! I'm glad things are falling in place, how far along are you? :)

It seems like a common theme, stop trying and boom, you get pregnant but it's nearly impossible for me to not think about it constantly. I got upset looking at celebrity baby photos last night...what the hell.

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Poison womb update...

I had my saline ultrasound this afternoon... How unpleasant! :x The cramping when they stuck the catheter in was pretty awful, even after taking Tylenol 1s AND Advil an hour before. Yurk. But then what was possibly worse was that I fainted when I went to get up afterward. Full on falling on the floor blacked out. :( So embarassing.

Anyway, uterus looks normal but one of my ovaries is polycystic... This must be relatively new because when I had my last serious ultrasound there was only one cyst on it. Anyway now I have to do that blood test where you fast, then get blood taken, then drink that gross orange drink, then more blood, etc. Not sure what exactly that has to do with the cysts - I guess the hormones cysts can kick out can effect insulin resistance, but I'm not sure how that would cause recurrent pregnancy loss...? Any medical types want to clue me in? I guess they are also going to measure some hormones at the same time. Fun fun! At least I'll get it over with and it won't delay my seeing the doctor after the final tests on day 21.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Longpig: you can't receive PMs but I just wanted to say, that as someone who has had multiple cysts on my ovaries, and been through multiple tests to figure out what was going on don't let any of the testing (blood tests), ultrasounds, CT-scans, WHATEVER, discourage you. Hopefully they'll figure something out for you and at least find out what's going on!

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Yeah... I keep telling myself that if I can have a healthy pregnancy and baby it'll all be worth it.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Silver Lining.

My husband and I just got laid off. Its probably a good thing I haven't gotten pregnant yet.

Pixi
Apr 16, 2001

I am loved.
I'm so sorry :( I hope you guys don't have too hard of a time finding employment. Hugs.

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

That really sucks Alterian. :( I'm sorry. I hope you can find something soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We're video game artists. Lots of those jobs around!

We'll be ok on unemployment. I can't afford to get insurance, but my husband at least can go to the VA.

If we can hold out till the end of summer my husband can *hopefully* get a full time teaching gig at the community college. He teaches one class a week there now.

This totally came out of the blue. Nobody had the slightest inkling this was going to happen.

• Locked thread