Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

doctor thodt posted:

Too bad I already imported it from the UK :(
(It's Fish Tank)

poo poo, same situation here. Well, off to double-dip as I also look forward to subtitles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er
I was hoping that they'd be releasing Nolan's Following in July to coincide with Inception. I want my Christopher Nolan Criterion. :(

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

MajorB posted:

I was hoping that they'd be releasing Nolan's Following in July to coincide with Inception. I want my Christopher Nolan Criterion. :(

I guess they'll wait until October or November. Nolan's kind of a big enough name at this point to make them some money over the holidays.

Kind of surprised they're rolling out Red Shoes this early, but I ain't gonna complain. :woop:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Red Shoes is a pre-order for me.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Can't wait to see the Powells in HD. Black Narcissus came as a surprise to me.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
That was a surprise for me too. I can't afford doing a complete switch to Blu-Ray, but if I don't get those two I'll be damned to a circle of hell where you sit and watch Scorsese 'sperg about the movies for eternity.

"Red Shoes Special Features" posted:

Gallery from Scorsese’s collection of The Red Shoes memorabilia

Seriously. It's awesome how obsessed the guy is.

Clothes Optional
Oct 3, 2004
Ugh I was hoping The Thin Red Line would a be announced today. I guess it won't be until much later this year.

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!
How can you not NEED The Red Shoes and Black Narcissus on Blu-ray? I've wanted that from the minute I got a blu-ray player!

WaitsUp
Sep 19, 2005
I used to be a deli sandwich

Clothes Optional posted:

Ugh I was hoping The Thin Red Line would a be announced today. I guess it won't be until much later this year.

I'd expect it around the time Tree of Life opens.

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009

MajorB posted:

Wait, I didn't even know we were getting Following. That just made my day.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Make Way For Tomorrow is officially one of my all-time favorites now. I rented it out of slight interest, but my expectations were surpassed completely. I'm so happy that Criterion put this out since I would have never seen it otherwise.

Beautifully acted and written, with the last part of the film being about as perfect as it gets.

Even if you're not big on classic Hollywood, I can't imagine how this would be a chore for anyone.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

For my money, Make Way for Tomorrow is even better than Tokyo Story.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Clothes Optional posted:

The movies usual show up on the release list about 3 months after they were hinted at by the newsletter. This was the case with The Friends of Eddie Coyle. Then again Cronos was hinted at and that's nowhere to be seen.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

SneakySneaks posted:

The movies usual show up on the release list about 3 months after they were hinted at by the newsletter. This was the case with The Friends of Eddie Coyle. Then again Cronos was hinted at and that's nowhere to be seen.

They say Del Toro is still working on it, but he is also prepping The Hobbit.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

penismightier posted:

For my money, Make Way for Tomorrow is even better than Tokyo Story.

*double-checking my Criticker scores* I've got Tokyo Story two points higher (85 vs 83) but they're both really good.

How are the bonus features?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Didn't watch them yet, but the essay from Tag Gallagher is pretty awesome. I like that chap.

http://www.criterion.com/current/posts/1377-make-way-for-lucy

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

http://twitgoo.com/p3zvn

CF.org says this confirms Underworld.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.
Things I was surprised by today:

Criterion has only released 2 Godard films on blu, and they were cheaper to buy directly from Criterion than from Amazon.

edit: I guess Pierrot is out of print, that explains that.

FirstCongoWar fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 23, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

One more month!

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The packaging is analogous to his movies.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

doctor thodt posted:

The packaging is analogous to his movies.

Incomplete?

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
After hearing all the praise in this thread, I watched Make Way For Tomorrow tonight.

God drat.

Easily one of the best films I've ever seen, and probably the most 'modern' old film I've seen either. Not a surprise at all to discover afterward that this was a huge commercial failure, as I can't imagine many audiences back then that would want to sit through something as brutally honest as this. Very ahead of its time, and probably still ahead of its time. Also timeless as well. Everyone deals with these situations, whether as a teenager, parent, or grandparent.

Alright, that's all for now. I'm gonna go hug some random old people in the street.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

While not directly Criterion-related, this looks like a treat for fans of Tati (and Triplets of Belleville).

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Cross-posting from the Blu-Ray thread, Image is releasing the following Blus on 8/24:

Withnail and I
Mona Lisa
The Long Good Friday
Time Bandits

Only extras are trailers, and a Gilliam interview on TB.

In other news, according to this article, a collection of von Sternberg silents is coming August 10th, and Hausu is finally coming September 7th.

The article also mentions a 25th anniversary edition of Do the Right Thing on July 6th. It doesn't specify whether it will be Criterion, on Blu-Ray, or if the color timing will be correct. It's also a few years too early for the 25th anniversary, so maybe it's just a mistake.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 1, 2010

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

FitFortDanga posted:

and Hausu is finally coming September 7th.

That's just way too far away.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
I'm surprised it's coming out before the film finishes touring. Well, it's not a huge amount of time before, I guess.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

caiman posted:

That's just way too far away.

Sounds about right, I know what I'm getting for my birthday that week.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
edit: Already posted. Ignore.

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 6, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Robert Denby posted:

So, The New York Times accidentally revealed some interesting Criterion news.

On August 10th, Criterion will be releasing at least two Josef von Sternberg silents, including "The Last Command" and "Underworld". I haven't seen either of these movies, but they've been in the works at Criterion for several years.

"House" is coming out on September 7th. No word on weather or not there will be a Blu-Ray.

Posted on this same page.

Robert Denby posted:

Also, Amazon has listings -but not release dates- for the Criterion Blu-Ray releases of "The Thin Red Line" and "Anti-Christ".

Posted in the Blu-Ray thread, along with Charade, The Darjeeling Limited, Seven Samurai and Videodrome.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
How is it that Criterion is going to be able to release Darjeeling Limited on blu-ray?

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

They paid licensing fees?

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009
Well, poo poo, that's the second time Criterion is going to get a double-dip out of me for a Wes Anderson flick.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Amazon has Walkabout marked down to $25

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

FirstCongoWar posted:

They paid licensing fees?

I guess I'm just sort of surprised that they're bothering now. Either way, I'm glad it's not being left to the mercy of Fox.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

I imagine they're doing it just because they have a long history with Wes Anderson.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

And that Fox's two releases are embarrassing compared to the extensive treatment given by Criterion on his first four.

At least Darjeeling is one of the best SD encodes I've seen on DVD. The BluRay should look stunning, considering it has a 4K digital intermediate (as does The Life Aquatic).

The Castro
Apr 28, 2010
I got The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, but it's one disc, I knew I should have looked around better...

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Seven Samurai on Blu is getting closer to reality... http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B003KGBISY

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

LaptopGun posted:

Seven Samurai on Blu is getting closer to reality... http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B003KGBISY

Good. Maybe now I can watch it without having to switch discs halfway through. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annoying Reveler
Jul 16, 2002
Is there a reason why they bleep out Jacques Cousteau's name on the Life Aquatic commentary?