Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soft Money 1M
Jun 28, 2007

by mons all madden

Anamnesis posted:

I'm looking to read up on some classics and understand American politics (early or otherwise). People get overly emotional when this topic comes up. As a result, Amazon reviews or other websites like that are not very helpful.

I've been reading Churchill's "The Great Republic" for some US history. I was thinking of Alexis De Tocquiville's "Democracy in America" but I can't get any good opinions on it.

I don't appreciate America bashing books like Zinn's writings. I'd like to learn the basic story before learning "the other side".

I had a lovely high school "Government/US History" education and I'm wishing to remedy that. I was wondering if someone could point me to some quality works in this area with all the above in mind.

For starters Zinn isnt "america bashing" unless you consider facts about what actually happened to be America bashing. People's History of the United States is probably the best book to fix a lovely high school history and government education and the sources he cites are never taken out of context and almost always primary.

Check out this thread that Im running in LF for basic history government economics politics etc education. Theres books covering specific subjects in American history as well as broader books like Zinns. Def. don't discount Zinn because of the critics though, because anyone who tells you he is "america bashing" is being intellectually dishonest about what America really is or how it came to be what it is today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anamnesis
Jan 6, 2009

In Search of Lost Time

Soft Money 1M posted:

For starters Zinn isnt "america bashing" unless you consider facts about what actually happened to be America bashing. People's History of the United States is probably the best book to fix a lovely high school history and government education and the sources he cites are never taken out of context and almost always primary.

Check out this thread that Im running in LF for basic history government economics politics etc education. Theres books covering specific subjects in American history as well as broader books like Zinns. Def. don't discount Zinn because of the critics though, because anyone who tells you he is "america bashing" is being intellectually dishonest about what America really is or how it came to be what it is today.

I really didn't want to start a debate over Zinn; scratch that line about America bashing.

I own that book by Zinn that you refer to in your thread. I don't know what all the critics are saying, but I was looking for a kind of general history of America. What I read was a history of all the people hurt in the making of America (a legitimate point of view, definitely, but not necessarily what I was looking for).

QVT
Jul 22, 2007

standing at the punch table swallowing punch

Anamnesis posted:

I really didn't want to start a debate over Zinn; scratch that line about America bashing.

I own that book by Zinn that you refer to in your thread. I don't know what all the critics are saying, but I was looking for a kind of general history of America. What I read was a history of all the people hurt in the making of America (a legitimate point of view, definitely, but not necessarily what I was looking for).

Unfortunately, you're not really going to find the kind of thing you're looking for outside of a well-written college textbook. Maybe you could get an old version of Unfinished Nation. It was one of the better texts I read as an undergrad, although Brinkley is a liberal. He doesn't go into the same kind of politicized history that Zinn has been accused of writing (truth irrespective, there) and you can get the concise edition used for under ten bucks on amazon or wherever. Don't be concerned about a leftist bent in history books, you won't get any further from factual than you would in that new "Patriot's History" which is essentially a collection of folktales.

In popular book format, you'd be best served by narrowing your interests to a more specific period and then looking at the best books on that. USA: The Book is much harder to find than something on the founding fathers or Vietnam.

Panorama
Jul 25, 2003
I've just finished all the Flashman books and I loved them. Anyhing else like it out there? I've read one of the Shape books but I like the conciet of the Flashman coward/hero character and would enjoy something similar. Someone recomended a Warhammer book with a similar protaganist but I'm not sure about sci-fi. Any recomendations apreciated.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Edged Hymn posted:

So I just finished American Psycho and found it to be an awesome, unsettling book. Can anyone recommend me other books that meander in and out of utter insanity so casually? I especially loved poo poo like Bateman hallucinating the devil at the Bono concert or the eerie snowy owl stare-off in the zoo scene. Wouldn't hurt if there was a lot of commentary on the human condition, as well.

Soft Money's recommendation is solid, and I'd also recommend Glamorama by Brett Easton Ellis, same guy that wrote American Psycho. The first time I read that, I felt like I was on acid.

Personally, I'm looking for a good base level book on game theory. Something that goes beyond the Prisoner's Dilemma, as I'm already quite familiar with that concept, but that doesn't go too deep into the math and keeps it more at a conceptual level. Thanks.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Shooting Blanks posted:

Soft Money's recommendation is solid, and I'd also recommend Glamorama by Brett Easton Ellis, same guy that wrote American Psycho. The first time I read that, I felt like I was on acid.

Personally, I'm looking for a good base level book on game theory. Something that goes beyond the Prisoner's Dilemma, as I'm already quite familiar with that concept, but that doesn't go too deep into the math and keeps it more at a conceptual level. Thanks.

The Art of Strategy by Dixit & Nalebuff is a light primer on modern game theory that is almost purely conceptual.

Fuckface McGee
Jul 26, 2005

He was a real crazy muhfucka, too. He was... sinister.

Anamnesis posted:

I'm looking to read up on some classics and understand American politics (early or otherwise). People get overly emotional when this topic comes up. As a result, Amazon reviews or other websites like that are not very helpful.

I've been reading Churchill's "The Great Republic" for some US history. I was thinking of Alexis De Tocquiville's "Democracy in America" but I can't get any good opinions on it.

I don't appreciate America bashing books like Zinn's writings. I'd like to learn the basic story before learning "the other side".

I had a lovely high school "Government/US History" education and I'm wishing to remedy that. I was wondering if someone could point me to some quality works in this area with all the above in mind.

I enjoyed Founding Brothers by Joseph Ellis. It might not be exactly what you're looking for but it's a pretty good book (it won the Pulitzer Prize for history).

I am reading Zinn right now and I both like it and dislike it at the same time. I can see why some people would have a problem with it, Zinn paints a rather bleak picture.

brenz.dude
May 30, 2006

catbread, anyone?
Well, since it looks like I'm going to have to reapply for medical school this year I have a lot more time on my hands to read books for fun. I just finished The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester. I thought it was fantastic, but enjoyed it a bit less than The Stars My Destination. I went to the library to check out On the Road by Jack Kerouac, but they didn't have it!!

Now I'm not sure what to read. I've been interested in reading On the Road for quite some time, but it looks like I'll have to hold off on it for a while. Any suggestions?

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

brenz.dude posted:

Now I'm not sure what to read. I've been interested in reading On the Road for quite some time, but it looks like I'll have to hold off on it for a while. Any suggestions?

If you're really interested, talk to a librarian. My library can lend you a book from another library, although it takes a little while. I'd imagine other ones do this, too.

If they don't have On the Road, they probably don't have The Dharma Bums, but that's a good read too.

The Gecko
Jan 6, 2010
I've finished The lies of Locke lamora and Red seas under Red skies, LOVED them both, thanks guys!

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Panorama posted:

I've just finished all the Flashman books and I loved them. Anyhing else like it out there? I've read one of the Shape books but I like the conciet of the Flashman coward/hero character and would enjoy something similar. Someone recomended a Warhammer book with a similar protaganist but I'm not sure about sci-fi. Any recomendations apreciated.

Jack Shaftoe in Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle might have some similarities. While not a coward at all, he's big on self-interest/self-preservation. The books are very different though and there's a lot of other stuff going on between spurts of swashbuckly action.

On a vaguely similar topic (historical action, not type of character) I'm thinking of giving Arturo Pérez-Reverte's Captain Alatriste's books a look as I like his other stuff and like the setting. Has anyone read them? Any good?

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Apr 16, 2010

Sailor Jim
Apr 1, 2010
I am looking for some books on how to understand people and the motives behind what they do. Reading body language and facial expressions, discerning lies from truth based off visual or voice clues, and basically being to look deeply into another person are the kinds of things I want to read about.

I will be returning to grad school for Marriage and Family Therapy this fall (which I have completed a year's worth of, so far), but our training consists more of techniques than deep personal understanding. I want to be able to look at people and KNOW them so that I can help them with problems, let them know that I understand them, and even just be a better friend.

akrob
Sep 5, 2009

by T. Finn

Sailor Jim posted:

I am looking for some books on how to understand people and the motives behind what they do. Reading body language and facial expressions, discerning lies from truth based off visual or voice clues, and basically being to look deeply into another person are the kinds of things I want to read about.

I will be returning to grad school for Marriage and Family Therapy this fall (which I have completed a year's worth of, so far), but our training consists more of techniques than deep personal understanding. I want to be able to look at people and KNOW them so that I can help them with problems, let them know that I understand them, and even just be a better friend.

http://www.amazon.com/So-You-Want-Be-Psychic/dp/1906787964/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271438015&sr=1-2-spell

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

I'm writing a final paper for a science fiction class I'm taking at school, and I was hoping to be able to do my report on nanosplatter (nanopunk stories where people die violently). So far, though, I've only been able to get my hands on one such short story, "Blood Music" by Greg Bear. Can anyone possibly point me in the direction of some other splattery nanotech stories? Failing that, what are the "best" nanotech stories? I'm planning to focus my paper on dissociation of the human form and body horror associated with new technologies, so anything that might include that sort of element would be appreciated.

Thanks!

7 y.o. bitch
Mar 24, 2009

:derp:

Name 7 yob
Age 55 years young
Posts OVER 9000 XD
Title BOOK BARN SUPERSTAR
Motto Might I quote the incomparable Frederick Douglas? To wit: :drum:ONE TWO THREE TIMES TWO TO THE SIX/JONESING FOR YOUR FIX OF THAT LIMP BIZKIT MIX:drum:XD

Strontosaurus posted:

I'm writing a final paper for a science fiction class I'm taking at school, and I was hoping to be able to do my report on nanosplatter (nanopunk stories where people die violently). So far, though, I've only been able to get my hands on one such short story, "Blood Music" by Greg Bear. Can anyone possibly point me in the direction of some other splattery nanotech stories? Failing that, what are the "best" nanotech stories? I'm planning to focus my paper on dissociation of the human form and body horror associated with new technologies, so anything that might include that sort of element would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Would JG Ballard count for this?

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

7 y.o. bitch posted:

Would JG Ballard count for this?

Yeah, definitely. I thought I actually ordered one of his short story collections on Amazon for this project, but apparently not. Which collection do you think would have what I'm looking for?

7 y.o. bitch
Mar 24, 2009

Name 7 yob
Age 55 years young
Posts OVER 9000 XD
Motto Might I quote the incomparable Frederick Douglas? To wit: :drum:ONE TWO THREE TIMES TWO TO THE SIX/JONESING FOR YOUR FIX OF THAT LIMP BIZKIT MIX:drum:XD

Strontosaurus posted:

Yeah, definitely. I thought I actually ordered one of his short story collections on Amazon for this project, but apparently not. Which collection do you think would have what I'm looking for?

I would think The Atrocity Exhibition would be perfect, although it's less about "new technologies" as about restructuring the recent American past. But I think that makes it much better from a literary standpoint, instead of being "Cool Ways to Kill People: The Novel." But maybe not what you're thinking exactly.

7 y.o. bitch fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Apr 18, 2010

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Nah, I'm pretty much looking for "people eaten by nanites." Otherwise I'll just have to write about regular, boring, nonviolent nanotech sci-fi.

colonelsandy
Dec 28, 2006

"We in comparison to that enormous articulation; we only sound and look like badly pronounced and half finished sentences out of a stupid suburban novel."
Can anyone recommend some fiction with doleful or melancholy characters? Preferably something written in the past 50 years or so. I'm a little down and looking to wallow in my own misery at the moment, any suggestions would be appreciated.

The Grand Judabuddha
Jan 21, 2001

Strontosaurus posted:

Nah, I'm pretty much looking for "people eaten by nanites." Otherwise I'll just have to write about regular, boring, nonviolent nanotech sci-fi.

Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds and sequels feature a nanotech plague. It's more background than the focus of the novels, but there are some graphic descriptions

The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson has at least one guy executed by being loaded with nano-things which then explode, if I recall

Nimrod
Sep 20, 2003
I could use some recommendations for good books on mythology. Stuff like Welsh, Norse, Irish/Celtic, African, Chinese, anything. I've had a pretty difficult time finding good ones in the past.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Hey, I work in a nerd store with comics, books, warhams, roleplaying systems, etc. I'm looking for some Fantasyrecommendations. When I make a book recommendation to customers (for someone who's read the 'classics' like Steven Erikson, George Martin, etc) I usually go with new fantasy in the vein of Joe Abercrombie, Scott Lynch, Robert v.s Redick, Patrick Rothfuss and Peter V Brett (and Richard Morgan's fantasy book), and if they like one of these authors, I feed them books from the other mentioned names, since these authors usually compliment eachother well. If you recognize these names and enjoy their books, what are some authors or books you'd recommend?

Also, if anyone knows what's the new hotness in the sci-fi genre I'm all ears.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Apr 20, 2010

var1ety
Jul 26, 2004

Bohemian Nights posted:

Hey, I work in a nerd store with comics, books, warhams, roleplaying systems, etc. I'm looking for some Fantasyrecommendations. When I make a book recommendation to customers (for someone who's read the 'classics' like Steven Erikson, George Martin, etc) I usually go with new fantasy in the vein of Joe Abercrombie, Scott Lynch, Robert v.s Redick, Patrick Rothfuss and Peter V Brett (and Richard Morgan's fantasy book), and if they like one of these authors, I feed them books from the other mentioned names, since these authors usually compliment eachother well. If you recognize these names and enjoy their books, what are some authors or books you'd recommend?

Brandon Sanderson writes fresh fantasy that focuses heavily on the mechanics of magic systems (Mistborn trilogy, Warbreaker). Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files is a fun series that lacks complex themes, but is turning out to have quite a lot of depth to its story.

For a more serious read check out Lev Grossman's The Magicians, which is an excellent self-aware anti-fantasy.

It only partially fits your newness criteria, but I would also recommend Stephen King's The Dark Tower, which is fantasy mixed with western steeped in tradition spanning seven books and 25 years of the author's life.

I am not a prolific sci-fi reader, but I recommend Richard K. Morgan's Altered Carbon and Thirteen for something hard boiled, or Charles Stross's Accelerando for a speculative read.

There's a new sort of near-future sci-fi that I have been enjoying quite a lot - check out William Gibson's Pattern Recognition and Spook Country for engrossing and polished examples by an established author, or Charles Stross's Halting State for something less polished from an author with a bright future and an obsession with realistic science.

Facial Fracture
Aug 11, 2007

Nimrod posted:

I could use some recommendations for good books on mythology. Stuff like Welsh, Norse, Irish/Celtic, African, Chinese, anything. I've had a pretty difficult time finding good ones in the past.

Bullfinch's, I guess. Also, Joseph Campbell's Masks of God things. The Poetic Edda. Get the liner notes for recordings of Wagner's Ring Cycle. Do you have some gripe against Greek/Roman stuff? 'Cause if not, you know, read at least Iliad, Odyssey, Theogony, Aeneid, Metamorphosis.

Nimrod
Sep 20, 2003

Facial Fracture posted:

Bullfinch's, I guess. Also, Joseph Campbell's Masks of God things. The Poetic Edda. Get the liner notes for recordings of Wagner's Ring Cycle. Do you have some gripe against Greek/Roman stuff? 'Cause if not, you know, read at least Iliad, Odyssey, Theogony, Aeneid, Metamorphosis.
I've just worked through a lot of Greek/Roman throughout my life.

7 y.o. bitch
Mar 24, 2009

Name 7 yob
Age 55 years young
Posts OVER 9000 XD

Nimrod posted:

Just looking at my shelves here, but for Welsh, I have "The Mabinogion," described as "Celtic mythology, Arthurian romance, and an intriguing interpretation of British history." For Ireland, I have "Tales of the Elders of Ireland," the "largest literary text surviving from twelfth-century Ireland," and "The Tain," "the longest and most important tale of the Ulster Cycle ... the great epic of Irish folk literature [featuring] the heroic, monstrous Cu Chulainn, one of the most mercurial, engaging characters in any literature." Penguin also makes a good collection of African origin myths, and Amos Tutuola is the most engaging (and funniest) writer of Yoruba myths.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Strontosaurus posted:

Thanks!

It's a bit of a long read, so read the synopsis before you start, but Prey by Michael Crichton deals with nanorobots that kill people, emulate people, etc. I can't remember offhand just how splattery the deaths are in particular as it's been years since I read it, but it might be worth at least a quick look.

Edit: Nanosplatter is officially my favorite word of the day, thanks!

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

Well you're just going to have to get over that.
I'm heading to Egypt this summer and I'm looking for something to get me in the mood. The only books people seem to immediately think of are Ramses: The Son of Light by Christian Jacq or The Memoirs of Cleopatra by Margaret George (the same lady who wrote The Autobiography of Henry VIII). Any other ideas or an idea of which to go for? I probably only have time to read one.

Edit: Keeping an open mind but probably leaning towards some sort of historical fiction.

AreYouStillThere fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 23, 2010

Facial Fracture
Aug 11, 2007

My friend was reading a book called Taxi by Khaled al-Khamissi a few weeks ago. It looked good and he seemed to really like it. It's a series of stories about Egyptian cab drivers. Maybe an interesting thing to read if you anticipate taking cabs while there?

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

alright, this may sound strange, but with finals approaching I definitely want some reading to take my mind off the heavier books I have to read. As far as Recommendations go, one of two things I'd say would be what I'm looking for.

First: light reading (want to stress light and easy), as long as it's enjoyable and good. From high adventure and fantasy, to sci-fi, to more serious fiction. I would like it to be fiction though, preferably ~300 pages as a cap. so like 350 is fine, but yeah, ~300 pages.

Second: and a bit contrary to the first, I've just recently re-read siddhartha and behold the man, would be interested in more books like those.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

AreYouStillThere posted:

I'm heading to Egypt this summer and I'm looking for something to get me in the mood. The only books people seem to immediately think of are Ramses: The Son of Light by Christian Jacq or The Memoirs of Cleopatra by Margaret George (the same lady who wrote The Autobiography of Henry VIII). Any other ideas or an idea of which to go for? I probably only have time to read one.

Edit: Keeping an open mind but probably leaning towards some sort of historical fiction.

Temples, Tombs, and Hieroglyphs: A Popular History of Ancient Egypt by Barbara Mertz is non-fiction that pretty much reads like historical fiction. Mertz writes a ton of Egypt-based historical fiction as well under the pseudonym Elizabeth Peters. This was the only book I read (aside from Lonely Planet) before going to Egypt late last year, and it really made the history much more interesting and understandable.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

AreYouStillThere posted:

Naguib Mafouz. He's a Nobel prize winner and wrote a trilogy set in ancient Egypt and many (better) books set in more modern times. Fantastic stuff.

Anamnesis
Jan 6, 2009

In Search of Lost Time

Quantumfate posted:

... take my mind off the heavier books...

First: light reading... fantasy, to sci-fi...

I don't know how heavy your heavy reading is, and how light you want to go. I also have not read anything in your second set of conditions. I can still offer the following:

A Wrinkle In Time by Madeliene L'Engle (~240 pages). Fun and easy.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

That's exactly what I'm looking for, but I've already read it. as far as how heavy my reading is, it's pretty heady academic stuff. But yeah, that would be perfect if I hadn't already read it.

Anamnesis
Jan 6, 2009

In Search of Lost Time
You could try part 2 of the series: A Wind in the Door.

There's also The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart. It's a story about Merlin. It's also a bit longer than 250 pages.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Quantumfate posted:

First: light reading (want to stress light and easy), as long as it's enjoyable and good. From high adventure and fantasy, to sci-fi, to more serious fiction. I would like it to be fiction though, preferably ~300 pages as a cap. so like 350 is fine, but yeah, ~300 pages.
You should check out the latest YA thread. As has been pointed out in that thread, a lot of what gets marketed as YA is appropriate for adults, but tends to be lighter/shorter/more tightly written. There's a ton of recommendations, although some of it is true kid stuff (which you may still enjoy).

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Quantumfate posted:

Second: and a bit contrary to the first, I've just recently re-read siddhartha and behold the man, would be interested in more books like those.

For light reading, you can't go wrong with Terry Pratchett's Discworld books.

For something that fits both of your requests, try Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny. It's sort of like Siddhartha... IN SPACE.

i saw dasein
Apr 7, 2004

Written postery is worth reading once, and then should be destroyed. Let the dead posters make way for others... ~
Quantumfate, life of pi would probably be a good choice, its very light and easy and entertaining, but also kind of reminded of Hesse a little. very popular book club type read, but excellent.

Facial Fracture
Aug 11, 2007

I asked this months ago and got no answer. I'm reading a thing with popes in it now so I'll try again: Does anyone know of a good book about the history of the Catholic Church? And I mean a history, not anti- or pro-Catholic polemic with some names and dates thrown in.

Ideally, I'd like to find a half-decent "Lives of the Popes"* thing so I can tell more than 3 of them apart, and also a broader history of the Church to read along with it.

*I know that multi-volume papal histories exist, but I won't be starting with them and I'd like a single-volume "concise" history to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bohemian Nights posted:

R. Scott Bakker's "The Prince of Nothing" trilogy might fit well: interesting mythology, gritty realpolitik war, magic that's powerful and interestingly rare, moral ambiguity. It got a little intricate in its relationships at times, but kept my attention pretty well.

Bakker also has a near-future speculative thriller "Neuropath" that is mostly about putative interaction between free will and neurological advances. I enjoyed it, but I'm quite into that particular speculative space (see below).

I haven't seen TA Pratt's Marla Mason series mentioned in the thread, but I quite liked it. It's not as gritty as most of the stuff above (hello Morgan and Abercrombie), more the weight of the Vlad Taltos series from Brust, but I liked it enough that I donated to support the serialization of the 5th book.

quote:

Not very new, but Peter Watts' Blindsight is a hard sci-fi mystery/thriller/mindfuck that I liked a lot. I either found it from Neuropath or vice versa, but I found Blindsight to be a little less overt about the author's agenda WRT morality and free will. Available for free from his web site, too. There's an extended set of endnotes for the book there, and Watts' scientific background is both obvious and enjoyable in his survey of the literature on which he based the science of the book.

As an aside, skimming through this thread has already combined with my poor impulse control and Amazon's 1-click-to-the-Kindle deviance to cost me about 200 bucks in the last few hours. I hate you all a little, but just a little.