Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Finally gave up on trying to get that last half inch of chicken strip off of the rear tire on my Ninja 250. I'm sure it's not impossible to do, but it is certainly impossible to do legally or legitimately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Shat my pants riding it at a stoplight, I heard a horrible sounding squeak of metal on metal somewhere coming from the engine area. I moved to a parking lot and tried to figure out what it was. Turns out its the gas tank squeaking somewhere when the bike vibrates just right. Definitely was relieving. :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

frozenphil posted:

Finally gave up on trying to get that last half inch of chicken strip off of the rear tire on my Ninja 250. I'm sure it's not impossible to do, but it is certainly impossible to do legally or legitimately.

Parking lot u-turns can burn a lot of chicken strip, especially if you're counter leaning.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

WR250F: Put it up on the stand so after I deal with my board licensing exam this weekend I can replace the steering head bearings, master cylinder seals, and linkage bearings.

KTM 200 XC-W: Got my skid plate and hand guards, assembled the little bits and will install tomorrow.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

Parking lot u-turns can burn a lot of chicken strip, especially if you're counter leaning.

Hence, legitimately. I could also probably do a burn out and lean the bike side to side to get rid of them too.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

frozenphil posted:

Hence, legitimately. I could also probably do a burn out and lean the bike side to side to get rid of them too.

There's a legitimate need for tight U turns in parking lots. :colbert:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Messed around with body positioning on one of my favorite backroads today. I wish I had some pics to see what I looked like (I'm sure it's a lot different than what it felt like), but it's amazing how much more planted the bike feels when you're hanging off the right side.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Changed the oil for the first time in the F2 since I didn't know when the previous owner did it. Also had to put in a new gasket on the stator cover side of the engine.

The drain bolt was easy enough to find.

Ok so apparently the previous owner or whoever worked on it had to have opened up the side cover for some reason.... and they didn't even put a new gasket on :wtf: so there was no gasket all, just some weird rubbery sealer stuff that didn't work because it was leaking a tiny bit of oil before.

Good god trying to get that gasket and the cover and the dowel for the idler gear and cover all lined up and on there was a huge pain in the rear end, it took me a good hour or maybe more to get it all bolted up again.

Ok that old lovely fram filter was on there TIGHT, I didn't have a big enough channel lock to get it off, so I eventually twisted it milimeter by milimeter by hand and it eventually came free, notice my clever little cardboard ramp to channel the old oil away instead of having it drip on the exhaust headers. it's got a nice little bosch filter now. That clutch cable is new too :)

Umm found this semi synthetic Castrol motorcycle oil online for about 6$ a liter so I bought 4 and had to add nearly all 4 of them to fill it up to the correct level. I fired up the bike and it was running great and I double checked the charging system and it was correct. I put the fairings back on and took it for a spin, it could just be me but the bike seems a lot quieter now but maybe it's just me. The oil I drained out didn't look bad at all though. Doing routine maintenance like this is very satisfying.

Next project: changing rear brake pads on the GS500, looks really easy actually, my pads are really badly worn on it.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
putting oil in an engine can often make it quieter.

Watommi
Dec 17, 2004

I am all that is man.
I rattlecanned my mirrors black because I can't stand chrome, and think it looks wrong on my Triumph Scrambler.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Watommi posted:

I rattlecanned my mirrors black because I can't stand chrome, and think it looks wrong on my Triumph Scrambler.

Do you have picture evidence of your sins, Son?

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
I.. can't believe it. I got my KLR running. Well. I'm speechless, it feels like it's been forever.

When I took it out of storage last weekend, it was belching black smoke, and wouldn't stay running without constant throttle (like last year), would cough and sputter with the choke on, and was pissing gas out the overflow tube. I drove it home (10 miles or so), changed the oil (which it REALLY needed), lubed the chain, and tried it again. No more black smoke, but it still pissed fuel.

At that point, I realized that the float was likely stuck, which would cause the gas to come pissing out, as well as it to stall out at idle. With the gas still flowing into the carb from the stuck float, it would slowly flood the engine.

So fixing that (or dislodging some other issue while pulled apart) appears to have fixed it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rode the DRZ to work this morning with the new helmet, which doesn't like the cold (FOOOOOOG!!!). Then on the way home I hit reserve in the left lane at the tail end of rush hour on a two-lane (one way) highway. :doh: Thankfully, I was able to get to the right side (no shoulder) pretty quickly. Someone pulled over almost immediately, which was nice, although I didn't need their help. I almost thought I did since it wouldn't start after I switched to reserve. Dropped it in neutral and it fired right up. :doh:

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Fantastipotamus posted:

At that point, I realized that the float was likely stuck, which would cause the gas to come pissing out, as well as it to stall out at idle.

That or your floats are just maladjusted. Did you adjust the closing height within specs?

Can you post a high resolution picture of your needle valves/float valves conical surface?

Did you "mouth-vacuum-test" your float valves?

We've got a fine carburetor thread in here that states that your float hight is insignificant. You should focus on cleaning your air screw. (dont!).

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Came out of the bank to find it's sexy Italian body laying on it's side.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Damage is minimal. But it's Italian damage. So it still hurts the pocket book.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

Came out of the bank to find it's sexy Italian body laying on it's side.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Damage is minimal. But it's Italian damage. So it still hurts the pocket book.

No shaky cell phone picture? You're not living teh ADV spirit man!

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

Blaster of Justice posted:

That or your floats are just maladjusted. Did you adjust the closing height within specs?

Can you post a high resolution picture of your needle valves/float valves conical surface?

Did you "mouth-vacuum-test" your float valves?

We've got a fine carburetor thread in here that states that your float hight is insignificant. You should focus on cleaning your air screw. (dont!).
I didn't check the closing height, no.. but post cleaning, it no longer pisses gas, and it was fine prior to this. And I can't, unfortunately, as it's current tucked in for the night. :)

And I try to keep my mouth off any parts of my motorcycle.. but dare I ask what the test is? Just close the float and see if I can get any air through it?

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I took my kick-rear end PIAAs back off Der Scooter. With a little fuel in the tank they're fine, but when I gas it up and put my tank bag and luggage on the machine gets heavy enough that those stupid fork tube mounts prevent fork travel, which is interesting- in a bad way.

Anyone happen to know of a good place I can find some new mounts, maybe to where the factory crash bars go or something?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Woke up early to prep the SV for a little road trip to drop off the pig. Adjusted/lubed the chain and checked the tire pressures. Took it off the stand and rolled it into the driveway so I could close the garage and went inside to suit up.

Come back out to the bike laying on its side...driveway claims another. Broken clutch lever, bent shifter. Looks like I'm taking the DRZ on a 200 mile interstate trip :suicide:

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
I visited some friends who live in Detroit. Nothing makes you feel more badass/scared then riding through a post apocalyptic city of Detroit.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Rode into work today and a student on a straight piped Harley pulled up as I was taking off my gear. He told me that my bike is a piece of poo poo, he hates "crotch rockets", "crotch rockets" are responsible for the vast majority of traffic accidents, and that "crotch rocket" riders give motorcyclists a bad name.

I complimented his novelty helmet, asked him if he's ever heard of the Hurt report, inquired why I have never seen his biked parked there until the weather warmed up, and walked inside.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

frozenphil posted:

Rode into work today and a student on a straight piped Harley pulled up as I was taking off my gear. He told me that my bike is a piece of poo poo, he hates "crotch rockets", "crotch rockets" are responsible for the vast majority of traffic accidents, and that "crotch rocket" riders give motorcyclists a bad name.

I complimented his novelty helmet, asked him if he's ever heard of the Hurt report, inquired why I have never seen his biked parked there until the weather warmed up, and walked inside.

Sounds like someone is jeal-lous!! :rolleyes:

Don't we just love our biker stereotypes?

Harley-Davidson/Cruiser Crowd = Banker/Accountant poser who rides a garage queen. Straight pipes added without a carb tune or EFI remapping and thus has lovely performance versus stock. Other bike modifications consist of getting as much leather poo poo on the bike as possible. Safety gear is for fags unless it is a leather vest with chaps and a skull cap novelty helmet.

Sportbike/Crotch Rocket - Hooligan 19 year old who is more interested in stuntz and trix then getting a job. Theses are the people who cut off other drivers and ride like maniacs and put the CHILDREN in danger! Bike mods are geared toward flashy lights and anything that looks like a tribal tattoo. Riders will have too much gear or none at all.

BMW/Goldwing Crowd - Pfft..old people.

;)

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Did my valve adjustment today since I was sure the last owner did nothing of the sort, much less knew what valves are. Also, I broke another damned valve cover bolt, which brings my total up to three in the four months I've been riding my bike.

Why are those things made out of soft cheese anyways?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Crayvex posted:

Harley-Davidson/Cruiser Crowd = Banker/Accountant poser who rides a garage queen. Straight pipes added without a carb tune or EFI remapping and thus has lovely performance versus stock. Other bike modifications consist of getting as much leather poo poo on the bike as possible. Safety gear is for fags unless it is a leather vest with chaps and a skull cap novelty helmet.

Sportbike/Crotch Rocket - Hooligan 19 year old who is more interested in stuntz and trix then getting a job. Theses are the people who cut off other drivers and ride like maniacs and put the CHILDREN in danger! Bike mods are geared toward flashy lights and anything that looks like a tribal tattoo. Riders will have too much gear or none at all.

;)

Which is why supermotos are great, nobody even knows what to make of it other than "is that funny looking thing legal?".

The NonBornKing
Jun 25, 2007
Early one mornin' while makin' the rounds, I took a shot o' cocaine and I shot my woman down.

AncientTV posted:

Emergency roadside snacks?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Gnaghi posted:

Which is why supermotos are great, nobody even knows what to make of it other than "is that funny looking thing legal?".

Due to the habit of supermotos only having traction on any one wheel at any given time, often they are not street legal.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Crayvex posted:

BMW Crowd - Sitting bolt upright with high visibility textile covering every part of their body. They have Aerostitch underwear on. Won't wave to you because removing one hand from the controls is too dangerous.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Crayvex posted:

;)

What about Standards?

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

kylej posted:

BMW Crowd - Sitting bolt upright with high visibility textile covering every part of their body. They have Aerostitch underwear on. Won't wave to you because removing one hand from the controls is too dangerous.

Haha, that's the saddest true stereotype.

I wave to everyone though, so I take offense. Big big offense.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

kylej posted:

Don't forget modular helmet flipped up at all times.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Slim Pickens posted:

Don't forget modular helmet flipped up at all times.

Never seen that one. Though us BMW fags sure do love our flip faces. I'm pretty sure we singlehandedly keep Nolan in business.

Do we get to play with other peoples true stereotypes like 90% of the guys on litre sport bikes having absolutely no clue how to ride one?

Going fast in a straight line is not going fast :\

PadreScout fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 16, 2010

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Pubic Lair posted:

What about Standards?
1980-1990 UJM - Too broke to buy a real bike, where values of 'real' >= values of '$1000 US'.

GREAT WHITE NORTH
Feb 23, 2010
BMW rider who is NOT old and covered with photo-reflective fabric checking in. Today I cleaned the spark plugs on my 1978 BMW R60/6 and topped up the engine oil. Tomorrow I'm going to scrounge/beg around town for a new speedometer cable and oil filter. Might even do some other adjustments and clean the carbs if I'm feeling particularly spry. Also, I do wave at other riders.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

AncientTV posted:

Did my valve adjustment today since I was sure the last owner did nothing of the sort, much less knew what valves are. Also, I broke another damned valve cover bolt, which brings my total up to three in the four months I've been riding my bike.

Your much better off breaking bolts than whatever the bolt is going into

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

frozenphil posted:

Common man it is a ninja two fiddy.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Fantastipotamus posted:

And I try to keep my mouth off any parts of my motorcycle.. but dare I ask what the test is? Just close the float and see if I can get any air through it?

Attach a clean fuel line to each of your carburetors. Suck said line. You won't get gas in your mouth if you didn't gently caress up your float needle valve or the seat. You'll get a bit blue in the face though. If everything is nice and dandy you'll look like a smurf in the face after performing this.
Then try to blow the valve back. Just a tiny blow should be enough to open the valve. Actually just releasing vacuum should open it.

You can do this without gas in the bowl, but that's generally considered cheating.

Still, if you inspect your float needle valve there should be NO visual signs of wear. If there is, replace it. This silly little needle valve is one of the most stressed parts on your bike.

Second option: Post a macro picture of the needle valve, and I'll be able to tell you right away if it's damaged or not. If you rub a nail against the closing surface and it hangs, you'll need to replace it. Any visual ridge on it? Replacement.

If the above checks out ok, next thing to do is checking your floater closing height. This is done with the carburetor inversed (upside down). This will also test/adjust the spring in your float valve. You measure from bowl packing surface to top of floaters. You can get specifications for your carburetors from Claymer or Haynes manuals.

Blaster of Justice fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 17, 2010

PyxlWyz
Jan 9, 2007
If it weren't for this thread there would be no-one to appreciate the things we do to our bikes... my wife is rather unimpressed with my work in the garage, heh.

The pad-type mounts on my Pit Bull stands tended to slip, and dump my bike if it got oily - like when you clean the chain! Today I drilled a couple holes in my swing arm to install spools. Yay! No more crashing into the concrete! I put on my rear wheel with new tire (mounted by cycle gear), cleaned the chain, changed the oil and filter, gave it a good power wash. Tomorrow, new grips and since I bought a cable lube tool, I'll give that a shot.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

GREAT WHITE NORTH posted:

BMW rider who is NOT old and covered with photo-reflective fabric checking in. Today I cleaned the spark plugs on my 1978 BMW R60/6 and topped up the engine oil. Tomorrow I'm going to scrounge/beg around town for a new speedometer cable and oil filter. Might even do some other adjustments and clean the carbs if I'm feeling particularly spry. Also, I do wave at other riders.

Riding an old BMW - probably a hipster douchebag.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Speaking of bike stands, I put my R6 up on my stands by myself for the first time. Holy poo poo is it nerve racking to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS
Replaced the CDI and rode it around for an hour. Seems to be working fine now.