Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Casimir Radon posted:

Naw, I shine it right in their face all the time and they don't do poo poo.

Sweet, time to get that lazer sight then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
fake non-canon Invisible War question alert

Sid Black is supposed to be English? Help me out British gamers, but that voice actor is not British?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I played this so many times I play it again with all cheats on and trying to find mutators to try and break the game.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Spaz Medicine posted:

Just grab the laser sight from the underground place with the hazmat suit in the first level and slap that bitch on your pistol. Laser-perfect accuracy as long as you don't put a scope on it.

I thought it was the laser sight that ruined the accuracy, while the scope improved it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Liesmith posted:

the dragons tooth is a nano lightsaber, would you describe that as low tech?

The low-tech weapon skill affects your proficiency with the Dragon's Tooth, so I'd say yes.

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

Pomale posted:

I actually put a laser sight on my pistol and it worked for a few minutes after I put it on, but now I still have to do the whole "wait 7 seconds to line up the shot" thing even though the laser sight is still attached. Is that a bug or do I just not know how the laser sight is intended to work?

The crosshairs still expand and shrink like you have to wait, but the bullets will hit right where the laser is no matter their size. Make sure you're turning it on, too, or its useless. It sounds obvious but I've seen people completely forget about it.

Weedle posted:

I thought it was the laser sight that ruined the accuracy, while the scope improved it.

If you put a scope on a gun with a laser sight, the laser will break and your shots will go back to relying on the crosshairs. They both work fine by themselves, but the laser breaks when you have both on one gun.

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

Lemmi Caution posted:

fake non-canon Invisible War question alert

Sid Black is supposed to be English? Help me out British gamers, but that voice actor is not British?

I think he's supposed to be Welsh.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Pomale posted:

I actually put a laser sight on my pistol and it worked for a few minutes after I put it on, but now I still have to do the whole "wait 7 seconds to line up the shot" thing even though the laser sight is still attached. Is that a bug or do I just not know how the laser sight is intended to work?

You have to manually turn on the laser sight every time you switch weapons. I think the default is the right bracket. Or maybe left bracket. Whichever bracket isn't the one to toggle the scope.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Contingency Plan posted:

I think he's supposed to be Welsh.

I assumed he was supposed to be a stereotypical roguish Australian, but he is explicitly referred to as English late in the game. I know quite a few people from Wales. He does not sound Welsh to me.

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

Lemmi Caution posted:

I assumed he was supposed to be a stereotypical roguish Australian, but he is explicitly referred to as English late in the game. I know quite a few people from Wales. He does not sound Welsh to me.

I think you're confusing Invisible War with a game that has good voice acting.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Spaz Medicine posted:

I think you're confusing Invisible War with a game that has good voice acting.

So not a game with "Deus Ex" in the title?

DR_Bob84
Apr 13, 2009

...of SCIENCE! posted:

You have to manually turn on the laser sight every time you switch weapons. I think the default is the right bracket. Or maybe left bracket. Whichever bracket isn't the one to toggle the scope.

With shifter it turns on when you switch weapons automatically. I've started replaying because of this thread with shifter for the first time (and dx10). It's a blast! Rifles all the way is pretty fun so far. No stealth sniper/shotgun/gep and lams and i'm having a great time.

Never went all out action like that. Still amazing the number of ways you can play this game. Wish i knew about white fosforus rockets earlier!

Nebs
Apr 22, 2008

I recently started my first Deus Ex playthrough and so far the most fun I've had (about 3h in) was shooting every single friendly npc I can (sort of disappointed some of them are unkillable) and making them constantly attack eachother while I sit back and watch, mesmerized (most notably, Anna Navarre and a random guard vs a lady with pepperspray who likes to hang out in the restroom). Is this normal :psyduck:?

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Nebs posted:

Is this normal :psyduck:?

Invisible War is disliked exactly because this kind of thing rarely happens.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Lemmi Caution posted:

Invisible War is disliked exactly because this kind of thing rarely happens.

And for a shitload of other reasons.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Liesmith posted:

And for a shitload of other reasons.

Invisible is a pretty good game, but it is not Deus Ex.

Also the shadows and poo poo are still pretty great. Seattle is only one city block, but poo poo, I got a lot of people to do and see in that one block.

jromano
Sep 24, 2007
I'm playing this game for the first time and holy poo poo is it awesome. I'm at the part where the government agent comes to your headquarters to interrogate the prisoners and tell the chief to fire your brother.

I installed the DX9 (DX10 ran choppy on my laptop) and shifter mods. Surprisingly though, the game worked fine on Windows 7 x64 before the mods and without any special tweaks.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nebs posted:

I recently started my first Deus Ex playthrough and so far the most fun I've had (about 3h in) was shooting every single friendly npc I can (sort of disappointed some of them are unkillable) and making them constantly attack eachother while I sit back and watch, mesmerized (most notably, Anna Navarre and a random guard vs a lady with pepperspray who likes to hang out in the restroom). Is this normal :psyduck:?
It's normal, but if you install Shifter, don't do it. You lose skill points.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

I think it's worth noting, in terms of all the small stuff they put into this game, that the women freak out in UNATCO when you go into the women's restroom. Just surprised that didn't get mentioned earlier when all the "OMG SO MUCH DETAIL!" stuff was brought up

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zlocista posted:

I think it's worth noting, in terms of all the small stuff they put into this game, that the women freak out in UNATCO when you go into the women's restroom. Just surprised that didn't get mentioned earlier when all the "OMG SO MUCH DETAIL!" stuff was brought up

Great that Mass Effect 2 had a similar scolding when you wander into the wrong bathroom.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

etalian posted:

Great that Mass Effect 2 had a similar scolding when you wander into the wrong bathroom.

That made me giggle, but Mass Effect didn't have later conversations that referenced it. One of my favorite things to show new people to Deus Ex is doing just that- going through UNATCO the first time, scaring the lady in the bathroom (How unprofessional) and then having Manderley scold you for it as a footnote at the end of his briefing. Right before I walk in the office, I say something like "This conversation is gonna seem normal, but he's gonna say something that's gonna blow your goddamn mind." It always does.

And even after that, if I remember correctly, on your second or third trip back to HQ, the lady you barged in on is talking to a soldier about how creepy you are.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Deus Ex was, is, and always will be awesome.

Maybe one day I'll get around to that sound-improvement mod I've been meaning to do forever now.

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!

etalian posted:

It was cute but the rest of the game was so blatant in the way it forced you to play that the novelty was somewhat reduced.

Astroturf Man fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 16, 2010

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

The Kins posted:

Deus Ex was, is, and always will be awesome.

Maybe one day I'll get around to that sound-improvement mod I've been meaning to do forever now.

You would be awesome if you did this. The weapons currently sound pretty terrible, like they were recorded, then played back through an old AM radio.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Astroturf Man posted:

It was cute but the rest of the game was so blatant in the way it forced you to play that the novelty was somewhat reduced.

I agree, this sounds awesome (heh) but what are you thinking of modifying? Weapon sounds I definitely agree with, and there are a few environment sounds I can think of modifying, but definitely keep the insanely loud noises animals make when you step on them.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Hard Clumping posted:

That made me giggle, but Mass Effect didn't have later conversations that referenced it. One of my favorite things to show new people to Deus Ex is doing just that- going through UNATCO the first time, scaring the lady in the bathroom (How unprofessional) and then having Manderley scold you for it as a footnote at the end of his briefing. Right before I walk in the office, I say something like "This conversation is gonna seem normal, but he's gonna say something that's gonna blow your goddamn mind." It always does.

And even after that, if I remember correctly, on your second or third trip back to HQ, the lady you barged in on is talking to a soldier about how creepy you are.
On the other hand, if you avoid walking in on her, she sells you some Scrambler grenades in the UNATCO kitchen, after you escape from the MJ12 base.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Zero Star posted:

On the other hand, if you avoid walking in on her, she sells you some Scrambler grenades in the UNATCO kitchen, after you escape from the MJ12 base.

She does that either way. 1250 each? Do you think I'm made of credits? poo poo, I don't even have a bank account; I just share with anyone who can't keep their PIN to themselves.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Zero Star posted:

The concept of privacy is foreign to one with augmented vision.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I get where "What a shame" comes from, but what's so funny about "My vision is augmented"? Some remix I never saw?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Xander77 posted:

I get where "What a shame" comes from, but what's so funny about "My vision is augmented"? Some remix I never saw?
Malkavian mod threw it in. I liked its delivery in the regular game, though.

"I hope you are not planning on wearing those sunglasses at night!"
"My vision is augmented." :cool:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Xander77 posted:

Early in the game there's an exchange where someone points out that JC is wearing sunglasses at night. He responds. :c00l:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
This thread is now temporarily about your favorite JC one-liners.

After killing a certain character:

code:
ALEX
They'll have you killed. They won't even blink an eye.

JC DENTON
Neither did I.
I mean, goddamn.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Brannock posted:

This thread is now temporarily about your favorite JC one-liners.
Gunther: I am not a machi-
JC: Sticks and stones. :c00l:
Gunther: [loving explodes]

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Simons: You'll need a Universal Constructor, and don't think we'll just leave one around for you to use, not after you blew up the one in Hong Kong.
JC: I was never properly trained in its operation. :smug:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

JC DENTON: Meanwhile, we will be manufacturing a cure to the virus.

BOB PAGE: A cure? A cure! Do you have any idea how easy it will be for me to make a new virus? All I have to do is find a very large prime number and multiply.

JC DENTON: And all we have to do is crack the code.

BOB PAGE: Mathematically unlikely. As are your chances of leaving the Ocean Lab, by the way.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Somewhere a bunch of dead cryptanalysts just hit 4000 rpm.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Bob Page, so intimidating at first.

Such a useless sniveling bitch at the end.

Murder McMurderson
Aug 6, 2005

So... We meet again, Doctor Jones.
:ese: Fifty credits each vial. The place has boobytraps. Otherwise, I would break in
myself.

:c00l: I don't deal in zyme.

:ese: A dirty business. I understand.

:c00l: Slavery. Addiction's another form of slavery.

:ese: Yes... of course. Your hands will not get dirty. Sixty-five credits, okay? The
most I can offer.

:c00l: I don't like your business. Period.

:ese: Guy -- we have a problem.

:c00l: I don't like your tone of voice.

*JC kills him*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

JC DENTON: And all we have to do is crack the code.

JC Denton is such an idiot.

Other evidence: "Excuse me, I'm looking for the underground terrorist organisation Silhouette, can anyone help me?", something he asks everyone in Paris when you already know you're going to the club.