Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

JC Denton is such an idiot.

Other evidence: "Excuse me, I'm looking for the underground terrorist organisation Silhouette, can anyone help me?", something he asks everyone in Paris when you already know you're going to the club.

Especially in the hostel, where there's police wandering around in the lobby and he still asks the concierge "Hello where are all the terrorists? I want to meet them"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Brannock posted:

Early in the game there's an exchange where someone points out that JC is wearing sunglasses at night. He responds. :c00l:
I know, I just don't see why it's interesting enough to be a meme. I assumed there was... I dunno, a video remix of him spying on people or something.

On the topic of your next post... the whole "You have 10 seconds to get out of here before I add you to the list of NFS casualties" conversation.

Lemmi Caution posted:

Bob Page, so intimidating at first.

Such a useless sniveling bitch at the end.
That's really pretty great. Going from "did you know we killed your daddy?" posturing bullshit to that "we can make a deal" whining was very satisfying.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 16, 2010

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Other evidence: "Excuse me, I'm looking for the underground terrorist organisation Silhouette, can anyone help me?", something he asks everyone in Paris when you already know you're going to the club.

it's not his fault, number theory is hard :(

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Fuzz posted:

Does anyone still play DX online? I remember actually having quite a bit of fun with this game in deathmatch... mainly of the stealth-around-and-lightsaber-people-in-the-back-of-the-head variety.

I tried it out of curiousity middle of last year. There were two servers that still had people. I was a bit freaked out to discover people still playing it to be honest.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Heh, my wolf can kill anything you want.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Just had a very satisfying (first ever) match in multiplayer, with the same guy killing me a dozen times before I accidentally sniped him.

I also installed the Nameless Mod and got stuck in the tutorial (walk up to the ATM's on the wall... and then what? Nobody contacts me and nothing is happening)

I'm good at videogames.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

Xander77 posted:

I also installed the Nameless Mod and got stuck in the tutorial (walk up to the ATM's on the wall... and then what? Nobody contacts me and nothing is happening)

I'm good at videogames.

Wait, TNM has its own tutorial? Color me surprised, I need to see this.

edit: It went fine. I read the multi-paged book, then went over to the ATMs and Phasmatis explained how accounts are now global. I didn't even HAVE to do anything, the doors opened just fine after he said what he had to say?

Tecman fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 17, 2010

poop
Jun 20, 2009

USER FOREVER BANNED FOR DOUBTING THE FOREVER BAN
I have never played this game but I swear to god I read something about it every day. I'm gonna wait for a steam deal where it ends up being $1 or something.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Xander77 posted:

That's really pretty great. Going from "did you know we killed your daddy?" posturing bullshit to that "we can make a deal" whining was very satisfying.

Barely a scratch! You're a little faster on your feet than your daddy was.

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I was feelin' horny and ornery hornery
Sometimes I wish Unatco didn't turn out to be one of the bad guys just so you could continue to go back to HQ after every mission and see what's changed. I love it when games have areas that change over time, but it's such a rare thing.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

SkellingTon Loc posted:

Sometimes I wish Unatco didn't turn out to be one of the bad guys just so you could continue to go back to HQ after every mission and see what's changed. I love it when games have areas that change over time, but it's such a rare thing.

Sometimes I wish the game would let you stay inside UNATCO if you wanted, even after learning the truth, or let you be a huge dick and sell yourself out to Page for Europe. Hey, your own continent!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Does anyone know if the sound engine in DX plays nice with the Asus Xonar's EAX emulation?

Speaking of which, that SoundBlaster Live! had the best software package in history. It's just too bad Aureal was dead by then :(

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Brannock posted:

This thread is now temporarily about your favorite JC one-liners.
This is in response to the girl in the Paris bar who offers to sell you the code to the back storeroom, if you got in without paying her for it:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zvezda
Dec 12, 2009

Tecman posted:

Sometimes I wish the game would let you stay inside UNATCO if you wanted, even after learning the truth, or let you be a huge dick and sell yourself out to Page for Europe. Hey, your own continent!

I love UNATCO a little bit too much, I always spend too much time dicking around in the HQ. I want to stay in blissful ignorance of all the conspiracies and MJ12 stuff - I just want to unpack, decorate my office a little, catch up with that guy who was in my class at the Academy who is always real nice to me even though I clearly read his emails in front of him, get to know Gunther and Anna because I am sure they will really like me once they get to know me, grab a coffee with Jaime and see if he can score me some rad augs... it just seems like it could be such a nice work environment! Sigh.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

JoJo's gonna be angry!

:c00l: Maybe I'll cap his rear end, too.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I wish it were feasible to somehow convert DX1 up to the current build of the Unreal Engine and then just swap in new textures and models. I would seriously pay well over $100 for something like that, if it was quality.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I decided this interrogation needed a flag:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Fuzz posted:

I wish it were feasible to somehow convert DX1 up to the current build of the Unreal Engine and then just swap in new textures and models. I would seriously pay well over $100 for something like that, if it was quality.

Deus Ex Rebirth was going to do it.

It did not stay alive, sadly. It would have enabled co-op as well.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Tallgeese posted:

Deus Ex Rebirth was going to do it.

It did not stay alive, sadly. It would have enabled co-op as well.

I don't know how well co-op would have worked in a game like Deus Ex. It seems like one of those things that sounds cool on paper but it sounds like more hassle to implement than it's worth.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Shumagorath posted:

I decided this interrogation needed a flag:

This made me laugh really hard, but it would have been perfect if you had somehow positioned the flag directly between JC and the NSF trooper.

"What's that? Who'se there? Sorry, I can't hear you over the sweet smell of FREEDOM"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

"What a Shame" is still the greatest JC one liner.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

I just tried DXMP for the first time in years and as luck would have it ended up on a server which disabled augs, set everyone's skill levels to max, and removed the GEP gun, LAMs, and the plasma rifle. Worst game ever, everyone just ran around with 100% accurate sniper rifles picking the other team off.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Jetsetlemming posted:

I just tried DXMP for the first time in years and as luck would have it ended up on a server which disabled augs, set everyone's skill levels to max, and removed the GEP gun, LAMs, and the plasma rifle. Worst game ever, everyone just ran around with 100% accurate sniper rifles picking the other team off.

Jeez, that sounds terrible. Did you tell them just to go play some russian counter-strike knockoff if they want terrible sniper gameplay?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Did JC ever get laid in the game?

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Hard Clumping posted:

I don't think there's a specific mod- the fat mutator was used,
There's a fatness slider for characters in the editor, ranging from 0-255.

Hard Clumping posted:

Regarding JC Tenton: It's always good to know that there is still something out there waiting for its moment to make you laugh until it hurts.

Murder McMurderson
Aug 6, 2005

So... We meet again, Doctor Jones.

etalian posted:

Did JC ever get laid in the game?

This is a sore subject for JC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_KWuhStabU#t=2m46s

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

I tried DXMP again, and found yet another modded server, but in this case modded more towards AWESOME. Custom weapons based on Unreal models, low gravity, Duke Nukem 3d music playing, on a custom map. Only two other guys playing though, and on the second map (Pac-man themed), I owned them both by sneaking around, listening for those loud as hell Deus Ex footsteps, and hunting the other players down with an "Enforcer" shotgun, so they both quit. Fun as hell while it lasted, though. Wish DXMP let you see the server name while you're ingame (or info like ping or a team selection screen), or I'd post the name so we could all join together on it and have a blast.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
JC: *BLAM* *BLAM* *BLAM*

Girl: Daddy!

JC: What a shame.

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more
This is quoted slightly wrong because it's been like a year

Stripper: I'm a writer. If I dance here five nights a week, that means I can write the other two. Maybe you'll see my book on a shelf some day and read it.

JC: I'm not big into books. :iceburn:

Also, Does this mean I don't get the job? :smug:

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

One last trip into DXMP tonight:
Another modded server, this time with infinite bioenergy and free augs for everybody. This could've worked, except that they seemingly randomized what augs I got when I joined the server, ignoring what I had selected in my preferences, so no speed aug, and the augs on each F key didn't match up with my hotkeys, so I uselessly had a key close at hand for Power Recirculator (which was extra useless seeing as the server had infinite bioenergy). The server also was playing straight deathmatch instead of a team mode, on the absolute worst possible map for this- it only had two spawn points. Horrid. One of them was open and kinda big and lots of people ended up fighting in it, but the other was a little shack with two closable doors, no windows, and and auto-turret outside.
Some jackass named Hujston had decided he was going to spawncamp, because obviously there's nothing more important in a five man DXMP game than score. He hacked the turret as his own, stood on top the weapons so newly spawned unarmed players couldn't grab them, and killed everyone who spawned in his hut. I found this unsporting, so I spawned in front of him, used my brief invincibility time to run out the door, avoided the turret killing me, ran to the other spawn, avoided death there, grabbed some gear, ran back to the other spawn, and then walked in the back door and headshot him with a couple throwing knives.
His next two spawns were also in that shack and I thoroughly enjoyed killing him, only after letting him first pick up a gun and try and fail to defend himself. After the third time I killed him however, my connection to the server dropped, so I quit.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mathemagician posted:

Also, Does this mean I don't get the job? :smug:

Snarky JC lines to Manderly are the best.

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

Budzilla posted:

This is beautiful. I cried.

I need to watch the JC Tenton videos.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zlocista posted:

This is beautiful. I cried.

I need to watch the JC Tenton videos.

Wait until you see the mod that makes the GEP gun shoot explosive guided cats.

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more

Jetsetlemming posted:

After the third time I killed him however, my connection to the server dropped, so I quit.
This was probably him booting you. I used to play on DXMP about 3 years ago and this kind of scenario was all too common.

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009
Just started replaying once again.

I broke the game. Managed to kill Anna right after the whole communications-tower deal... and Gunther refuses to fight me after I lit him on fire with my flamethrower. In fact, all he does is run at a corner. All the bots are dead, all the UNATCO agents are dead. It's just me and Herman. What a shame.

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

etalian posted:

Wait until you see the mod that makes the GEP gun shoot explosive guided cats.

Could I get a link?

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!

Mudlark posted:

I broke the game. Managed to kill Anna right after the whole communications-tower deal... and Gunther refuses to fight me after I lit him on fire with my flamethrower. In fact, all he does is run at a corner. All the bots are dead, all the UNATCO agents are dead. It's just me and Herman. What a shame.

Got an explosive or something? You can probably solve your problems with a LAM.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Mudlark posted:

I did this and managed to leap over the barricade, but no chopper :smith:

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
Since we're talking JC one-liners, can I just say that JC Denton is my favorite performance in the history of videogame voice acting? Actually, I unironically love all the v/o in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

DNS posted:

Since we're talking JC one-liners, can I just say that JC Denton is my favorite performance in the history of videogame voice acting? Actually, I unironically love all the v/o in this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kihGm4KfY7k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB9Lm9f0WVg