Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

moths posted:

I keep looking at FoW, and the models and rules seem awesome, but I absolutely cannot get past the Nazi stuff. :(

Well, it's a game. About WWII. Hard to have a game about WWII without the main antagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Lord Commissar posted:

Well, it's a game. About WWII. Hard to have a game about WWII without the main antagonist.

Yeah, I understand that and it makes sense. It's just not the game for me.

I picked up a blister of 10mm Greeks from the same store, and I'm actually pumped about replacing their lead gummy-spears with cut paperclip ones.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

moths posted:

I keep looking at FoW, and the models and rules seem awesome, but I absolutely cannot get past the Nazi stuff. :(

Good thing most germans weren't Nazi's then :P

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

moths posted:

Yeah, I understand that and it makes sense. It's just not the game for me.

I picked up a blister of 10mm Greeks from the same store, and I'm actually pumped about replacing their lead gummy-spears with cut paperclip ones.

Do mid-war italians :unsmith:

Wombo
Dec 19, 2005
Fro Extraordinaire
I'm currently failing to resist the Flames of War urge, and was wondering if I could get some info from some vets of the game.

Anyone willing to put together a little write up of the major armies available to play. For instance, strengths and weaknesses, play style or tactics used, etc.

I am leaning more towards a Russian force, but want to know more about the others before I commit.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Devlan Mud posted:

Do mid-war italians :unsmith:

Too late!

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Il Duce is much displeased with you :smith:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Wombo posted:

I'm currently failing to resist the Flames of War urge, and was wondering if I could get some info from some vets of the game.

Anyone willing to put together a little write up of the major armies available to play. For instance, strengths and weaknesses, play style or tactics used, etc.

I am leaning more towards a Russian force, but want to know more about the others before I commit.

I'm not exactly a veteran but, for the most part, the armies in FoW use the tactics and styles of the real armies they represent.

Russians are all about hordes. Mmm hordes....

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Devlan Mud posted:

Are they actually expanding that past the battle of la drang valley box set? I was under the impression it was a one-off thing.
It was acutally just a couple of platoon boxes and blisters with rules in Wargames Illustrated. I don't think they're going any further with it, despite advertising the models on the site all the time.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
My journey into 28mm Napoleonics starts! Just aken delivery of enough plastics to field a brigade of French Line Infantry and a brigade of Dragoons!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Serotonin posted:

My journey into 28mm Napoleonics starts! Just aken delivery of enough plastics to field a brigade of French Line Infantry and a brigade of Dragoons!

I hope Richard Sharpe murders many of your men.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I broke down today and painted almost fifty bases, DBA and FoW and some 28mm guys. drat what a chore. But now I just need to get some static grass and my Carthaginian army will be smoking hot. Well, at least it will be big.

Speaking of that, anyone have experience in finding and using shorter than normal static grass? The normal stuff works for 15mm, but I think it will look silly on my 6mm. Baccus sells it in a basing kit, but I don't really need the paint and the sand part of that kit, so 14 quid is a bit dear for just static grass.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 11, 2010

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

big_g posted:

And the first ever attempt at whitewash a t34/85:

Got a link to a tutorial for this kind of paintjob? Thinking about doing my Khador warjacks suchlike.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I just realized I can buy a bunch of Prince of Persia Lego to use for Ambush Alley!

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Chenghiz posted:

Got a link to a tutorial for this kind of paintjob? Thinking about doing my Khador warjacks suchlike.

I used saltmasking on this one. Just google it and see what you can find.

Battlefront have some tutorials here although designed for 15mm they should scale up.

http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=53&art_id=1736

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Here's another whitewash method using a liquid mask:
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/273289.page

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
I was wondering if anyone could reccommend a good set of Napoleonics rules? I've gotten on a bit of a Napoleon binge lately instead of just reading about World War II obsessively like I usually do and it would be cool to find a game that also fulfills this urge. Ideally, I would like something in 15mm and with a points system and generally good for pick-up games. Basically like Flames of War, if that's possible. Black Powder looks like it might cool, but it seems like it would require a lot of work in rescaling everything and dealing with the fact that there are no points costs (as far as I know) would seem to me to make playing quick pick-up games pretty difficult. Plus Jervis Johnson's track record isn't exactly what I would call stellar.

I would have thought that finding a napoleonics rule-set would be easier, but the only locals who play in the era play some home brew thing some grognard wrote in his basement thirty years ago.

Wombo posted:

I play a lot of Flames of War, and while it is a bit difficult to come up with a general description on any given nations armed forces because of the huge variety of available forces and the time period covered (you can play human-wave style horde Germans or elite Russians, for example) but this is a write-up I made for my club's site a while back, focusing mostly on Late War:

United States of America :911: - Arguably some of the best artillery special rules in the game. Lots of manpower means big platoons, second largest after the Soviets. Weak Anti-tank guns mean they rely on aircraft, artillery, and bazookas to defeat tanks, although tank destroyers can also be effective In the Mid-war period the Sherman and Lee tanks are adequate main-battle tanks; in Late War they are totally outclassed in a head-to-head fight and have to use manuverability and smoke bombardments to have any chance at defeating the big German tanks. This can be hard to do but is also tons of fun. Maybe when American players' dreams come true and they get Pershing tanks they will have the ability to go head-to-head with the Germans... (Spoiler: No they won't, Panthers will still kill everything, hahaha)

United Kingdom: Average size platoons, also use a lot of artillery-the other contender for best artillery nation-Americans are better in the short term, the British have the advantage over time, generally speaking. Foot soldiers are reliable and preform well. Tanks and AT guns are generally similar to American ones (most of them are in fact lend-lease shermans, especially by Late War) but the availability of the 17-pounder AT gun, towed or shoehorned into a Sherman, gives them more punch than the yanks. Their special tank rules are a bit schizophrenic, since they re-roll hits over 16" but only the fireflies can really hurt anything when slugging it out at long range like that. They have a couple of terrifying special weapons, such as the Churchill Crocodile, a big flame-thrower tank that is totally invulnerable from the front to anything short of the heaviest German and Russian guns and can easily toast whole infantry platoons. The various dominions (Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and so on) are generally the same with some different special rules for flavor.

Germany: Manpower shortages mean they generally have the smallest platoons in the game, but they tend to have more shooting dice (lots of MG-42's) in an attempt to make up for this. Generally speaking, they are mobile and hit hard, but can't afford to take losses. Panzershreck and Panzerfaust launchers are expensive but can make them very dangerous for tanks to assault. Artillery isn't anything special, although they have the best and most cost-effective rocket artillery in the game. Probably have the most variety of any nation, in terms of formations and weapons they can take because of all the ad-hoc stuff they resorted to and the fact that they looted all of continental Europe for weapons, and the game hasn't even reached the really goofy stuff like Volksturm and the like. They have the best tanks in the game hands down, at least when it comes to head-to-head armor duels-every tournament list needs to have a plan to deal with Panther tanks, which pretty much dominate everything on wheels but will take up a nearly a third of your points if you take them.

Soviet Union: Biggest 'platoons' (actually companies) in the game, although by Late War the millions of casaulties they've taken means that formations are a lot smaller than they used to be. Cannot fire smoke bombardments, mostly for balance reasons. Unlike other nations, they take units in company-sized formations, which can make them difficult to manuver, but can be unstoppable once they get going. Artillery is pretty average at best with few spotters, although they can take very large batteries if they really want too (up to 20 artillery pieces in a standard game). Tanks are generally not very agile due to their command and control problems, but you can get a lot of them-21 Guards T-34/85's is a deadly force, albeit one that will struggle with the really big German stuff. Big tanks like the Stalin and its tank destroyer versions are extremely good versus infantry as their huge guns ignore infantry saves but have issues with getting blinded with smoke and outmanuvered by Panthers, or just straight-up killed by King Tigers or other German tanks with scary animal names.

This doesn't even cover the minor nations like Finland and Romania or all the wacky variants like the 270 billion kinds of SS or the Japanese-American battalion or what have you, but hopefully it gives a good idea of the basics of the four major powers.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

DeceasedHorse posted:

I was wondering if anyone could reccommend a good set of Napoleonics rules? I've gotten on a bit of a Napoleon binge lately instead of just reading about World War II obsessively like I usually do and it would be cool to find a game that also fulfills this urge. Ideally, I would like something in 15mm and with a points system and generally good for pick-up games. Basically like Flames of War, if that's possible. Black Powder looks like it might cool, but it seems like it would require a lot of work in rescaling everything and dealing with the fact that there are no points costs (as far as I know) would seem to me to make playing quick pick-up games pretty difficult. Plus Jervis Johnson's track record isn't exactly what I would call stellar.

Have you checked out Lasalle? I haven't tried it so I can't recommend it or anything, but from what you say it sounds a bit like it could be up your street. Has an army builder, allegedly 2-3 hours, a dozen units per side, should be decent for pick-up play.

EDIT: I looked for reviews and stumbled unto this, where grognards lament that no-one plays games that takes more than three hours anymore, that it is too simplistic and doesn't take ALL THE HISTORICAL FACTS into consideration and the prospect of a game together is celebrated with a "Good! Then there will be two people here that can read and understand more than one page of rules". So really, it might just be similar to FoW.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 13, 2010

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

lilljonas posted:

Have you checked out Lasalle? I haven't tried it so I can't recommend it or anything, but from what you say it sounds a bit like it could be up your street. Has an army builder, allegedly 2-3 hours, a dozen units per side, should be decent for pick-up play.

EDIT: I looked for reviews and stumbled unto this, where grognards lament that no-one plays games that takes more than three hours anymore, that it is too simplistic and doesn't take ALL THE HISTORICAL FACTS into consideration and the prospect of a game together is celebrated with a "Good! Then there will be two people here that can read and understand more than one page of rules". So really, it might just be similar to FoW.

Exactly, I am looking for the type of game that makes grognards cry. I just don't think anyone else in my gaming group would be interested in anything super-complicated anyway. Also that review is pretty awesome.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Have a look at Lasalle. I think Blackpowder works best with those large games where everyone brings their collection to play with and you can actually get a result. Lasalle you can get a good game in on a 6x4 table in under 3 hours.

Lasalle also has the advantage that its got some list structure to force composition. That can help balance games and direct buying choices.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

DeceasedHorse posted:

I would have thought that finding a napoleonics rule-set would be easier, but the only locals who play in the era play some home brew thing some grognard wrote in his basement thirty years ago.

If you play Black Powder in 10mm, it's just a matter of using cm wherever the game says inches.

Also, I'm not sure why you think Jervis' record isn't solid, but either way, the BP rules -are- solid.

You may be right about pickup games, though.

quote:

I play a lot of Flames of War, and :words:

Adding this to the FoW writeup in the OP. :)

Wombo
Dec 19, 2005
Fro Extraordinaire

DeceasedHorse posted:

FoW Goodness

Thanks man! Appreciate the time you put into this, helps me quite a bit.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

So I had some 50 bases worth of historical miniatures lying around with unpainted bases because basing is boring. I finally got around to painting them up, so here's some pictures. They all lack static grass and such, but they are ready for the tabletop:

First off, my first attempt at FoW. I'm doing Late War infantry Germans, with rag-tag uniforms etc. I don't really care about WW2 history from anything but a strategical level, so these will be ahistorical as gently caress (a German player that is not a fluff nazi!:rimshot:). But the game seems pretty nice.

First five bases, I'll throw dead grass and snow on them later when I'm done with more bases. I have another 15 or so half painted. I'm finding these to be incredibly fast to paint.

6mm is going strong, here's my first camp. Got some 200 infantry and 50 cavalry in the mail this week that I just sprayed, so this army should be tripling in size pretty soon.

I finished all kinds of Carthaginians, even if most of them are chaff units of old Chariot Miniatures that I got for free from a friend at the club. But they bulk out my army enough for me to finally have a completely painted playable Fields of Glory army. Here are some horrible pics of them. They still need more elephants though. Most of all I'm looking forward to crushing puny Roman cavalry with these dudes, with proper Corvus Belli cavalry to the left and some smaller ones that might be Chariot Miniatures to the right:

I also did some civilian Japanese from Museum Miniatures if I ever decide to do some kind of skirmish scenario for a con or similar:

I also tinkered a bit with a 54mm samurai that I have had lying around for almost a year and a half now, mostly details left though:

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Apr 15, 2010

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Lord Commissar posted:

If you play Black Powder in 10mm, it's just a matter of using cm wherever the game says inches.

Also, I'm not sure why you think Jervis' record isn't solid, but either way, the BP rules -are- solid.

Black Powder scales very eaaily as Commissar says. You can pretty much use any scales you want. I play in 10mm and 6mm and am just embarking on 28mm. For all these scales we have adjusted the ranges in the game to suit our tables and figures. Its simple to do if you take the standrad infantry move of 12 inches to be 1 move unit, and transpose that to whatever. ie in 10mm and 6mm we make the standard move unit equal 10cm and in 28mm due to opur slightly smaller unit sizes (to match our slightly smaller then 12x6ft table that Jervis and the Perrys use) we use 8 inches.
That actually souns a little complex typed oyut like that but it really isnt, as pretty much everything int he game is done in units of 12inches.

The biggest problem (and its strength) is there being no points system. For me this is ace as it means people are more likely to play creative scenarios or fights based on real conflicts, but it means that games take a bit more work to set up. People on the Warlord Games forum are trying to develop army lists based on the very loose points system that Jervis has suggested in one of the rule books appendixes.

For me Black Powder is probbaly the best historical rule set I have used in the last 15 years. And trust me I have played a gently caress ton of different rule sets! My groaning book case pays testament to that.

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 15, 2010

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Warhammer Historicals Website posted:

Shopping Cart
REF DESCRIPTION QUANTITY PRICE COST
60049986014 Trafalgar 1
£20.00 £20.00
Subtotal £20.00
Shipping (Standard RoW Delivery) £5.00
Total £25.00

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Lord Commissar posted:

Nice game, hurt wallet

It's a nice game, where are you planning to get your boats?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

lilljonas posted:

It's a nice game, where are you planning to get your boats?

I don't know yet. My plan is to have the book gather dust for a bit and then, someday, I'll be motivated to get ships.

I still haven't finished my AWI armies, or painted my FoW soviets, or bought any modern miniatures for Ambush Alley.

Also, it's not that bad. Current exchange rates puts this purchase under $40 USD shipped.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Lord Commissar posted:

I don't know yet. My plan is to have the book gather dust for a bit and then, someday, I'll be motivated to get ships.

I still haven't finished my AWI armies, or painted my FoW soviets, or bought any modern miniatures for Ambush Alley.

Also, it's not that bad. Current exchange rates puts this purchase under $40 USD shipped.

I first tried Trafalgar with just paper markers for ships, and even then it was pretty exciting. So there's always that.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

lilljonas posted:

I first tried Trafalgar with just paper markers for ships, and even then it was pretty exciting. So there's always that.

That's not a bad idea. I actually some of the CCG pirate ships, too.

And on that same line of thinking, I have enough 40k dudes to play AA I bet.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
My first forays beyond Open Fire! for flames of war involved playing with the unit names and an arrow written on the bases.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

No Pun Intended posted:

My first forays beyond Open Fire! for flames of war involved playing with the unit names and an arrow written on the bases.

Ive done this for other rule systems too to see if I want to invest in the minaitures for it. I think its a good idea. Ive also used suitably sized lego blocks too.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Does anybody know anything about GW's The Great War? All I've read is that it's basically 40k (Including stuff like strength:toughness wound charts???) and each model counts as three guys. This seems nutty and needlessly cumbersome.

e: TTMaB looks like it might be worth checking out, thanks!

moths fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 17, 2010

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

moths posted:

Does anybody know anything about GW's The Great War? All I've read is that it's basically 40k (Including stuff like strength:toughness wound charts???) and each model counts as three guys. This seems nutty and needlessly cumbersome.

I haven't tried it, but I've heard many good things about Through the Mud and the Blood, if WW1 gets you excited.

Talking about WW1, we might try to scrape together some WW1 airplanes and play some Canvas Eagle/Blue Max, which looks pretty cool. A very low model count is always a plus.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

lilljonas posted:

I haven't tried it, but I've heard many good things about Through the Mud and the Blood, if WW1 gets you excited.

Talking about WW1, we might try to scrape together some WW1 airplanes and play some Canvas Eagle/Blue Max, which looks pretty cool. A very low model count is always a plus.

'Through the Mud and Blood' is superb, as is the supplement 'Triumphant Standards' they brought out that is a (unofficial) companion to Solways's '1938- A Very British Civil War.'
http://theminiaturespage.com/news/787475/

Im toying with the idea of using the two combined with a healthy dose of pulp to make a skirmish campaign based on the Blackshirts mining under Glasotnbury Tor to find Excalibur to harness its magical powers to take over the world in the name of fascism.

The forces of good, a small band of West Country Resitance Fighters will be led obviously by the one man who has an interest in all things legendary that need digging up and has a strange habit of stumbling into Nazis...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pNlMgH2p-Y

Im sure Biggles will get a look in too...

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 17, 2010

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

moths posted:

A couple of guys at the shop have tried it a few times, it really is basically 4th edition 40k except everyone pretty much has the same stat lines (Except for German Stormtroopers, who are like toughness 4 or something silly like that) and machine guns work a little differently than 40k heavy weapons and there aren't any armor saves.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

moths posted:

There's a copy at the local store, and I paged through it a bit, it looks a heck of a lot like 4th Edition 40k, except with krauts and frogs and mark IV tanks.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Devlan Mud posted:

it looks a heck of a lot like 4th Edition 40k, except with krauts and frogs and mark IV tanks.

gently caress that sounds awesome.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
GW's the great war is a another one of those books that I have but haven't played.

Serotonin posted:

Im toying with the idea of using the two combined with a healthy dose of pulp to make a skirmish campaign based on the Blackshirts mining under Glasotnbury Tor to find Excalibur to harness its magical powers to take over the world in the name of fascism.

The forces of good, a small band of West Country Resitance Fighters will be led obviously by the one man who has an interest in all things legendary that need digging up and has a strange habit of stumbling into Nazis..

There is no greater pastime than punching Nazis (you should do it, it sounds awesome).

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

moths posted:

I haven't played it but a few friends of mine have and they like it. There's a *really* nice mechanic for machine gun fire which uses a flamer template in a creative way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

No Pun Intended posted:

There is no greater pastime than punching Nazis (you should do it, it sounds awesome).

Yeah I probably will at some point, but have so many other gaming projects lined up its insane.

Also if you want cheap WW1 figures check out Renegade.

http://www.renegademiniatures.com/regww1ew.htm

£11.95 for 24 metal figures! They arent quite as nice as the Aly and Grant Morrison line done by Great War Miniatures but for that price you would be mad to pass them up.

They mix fairly OK with Great War although Renegade tend to be a little chunkier looking and their rifles tend to be a tad oversized.

http://greatwarminiatures.tripod.com/