Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DKiU8ZbuIY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r3ZWvfff-w

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

Not a JC one liner, but I just got to Hell's Kitchen with the pimp and Sandra.

After threatening to beat his rear end, the pimp tells you: You ain't po-lice. I OWN the po-lice!

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Exactly.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar
I'm close to the end right now and have got to say that this game has been a blast since killing Simmons. The level where you have to infiltrate a camp of soldiers about 2 levels before the final one definitely got me pumped--reminded me of a smaller version of the first level, in terms of strategy.

This game was definitely at its best when you were not in boring sewers or boring underground or in huge office halls that connected to other huge office halls.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I just went into Manderley's office for the first time this playthrough, but I got bored, so what did I do? I did what every self respecting secret agent does: I picked up the vases sitting in Manderley's bookshelf and threw them at his head to express my boredom.

I don't know what was funnier, the fact that you can do this, or the fact that when you do, Manderley actually gets mad and says stuff like "Grow up, JC" and "Stop it! You behave like a professional!" like the people who made the game not knew that the player would throw random poo poo at him.

This game is the best game.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I hope I haven't been reading some major spoilers. I just started playing again and hope to finish the game this time.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

GreatGreen posted:

This game is the best game.

When I first played this game, I picked, hacked, or blew up every single door or container in UNATCO HQ, stole everything that wasn't nailed down, smashed everything I couldn't steal, hacked into every e-mail account, and then wandered into Manderley's office to have him yell at me for knocking out a trooper and stealing his assault rifle. There's something really great about a game that lets you be as huge of an rear end in a top hat as you want to, but is capable of contextually giving you poo poo for all of the rear end in a top hat things you do.

It's also pretty entertaining to see JC completely fail to give a poo poo when Paul yells at him for killing a shitload of people.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Cardboard Fox posted:

I hope I haven't been reading some major spoilers. I just started playing again and hope to finish the game this time.

There have been a lot of quotes that involve spoiler-y thingies, but I think for the most part they were completely out of context to the point that probably nothing has been ruined for you. I guess that's one of the upsides of having conversations involving people so familiar with the source material that no one has to bother explaining themselves. Someone can say "I was never properly trained in its operation" and everyone knows. They know.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Angry Diplomat posted:

It's also pretty entertaining to see JC completely fail to give a poo poo when Paul yells at him for killing a shitload of people.
Now I finally got what why that "A non-lethal takedown is always the most silent......." scene in the recut was so funny. It echoed the "yeah, whatever" attitude of both the character and the player perfectly.

Powers Boothe
Jul 22, 2007

:bravo:
"I refuse to be pushed into some obscure, bureaucratic CUBBYHOLE"

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
So, do you guys usually play with the default keybinds or do you remap them?

I got agitated at the right mouse button being the "universal activation and weapon holstering" button so I changed it to the more modernized "E" as the activation button. I'm almost having trouble adjusting to it at the moment though. Hmm. Guess we'll see which way ends up working better.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

GreatGreen posted:

I got agitated at the right mouse button being the "universal activation and weapon holstering" button so I changed it to the more modernized "E" as the activation button. I'm almost having trouble adjusting to it at the moment though. Hmm. Guess we'll see which way ends up working better.

Do you still use ; as reload?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I usually go to the menus and navigate with the mouse for those kinds of commands, that is, the ones that aren't "immediate gameplay action" commands. I should probably change that, though. Seems like it would be way more efficient to use keybinds... as it always does.

Also, I figured out the ideal Action Command button layout. Use "E" and "Right Mouse Button" for world activation. For some reason, it feels more natural to pick up things, holster weapons, and activate people to chat by using the right mouse button, but it feels more natural to use the "E" key when activating buttons, levers, and doors.

I'm using the shifter mod, so the "Q" button gets the "secondary fire mode" command. After thwacking around a guy with a crowbar for a while, it's great to use the secondary fire command to hurl it at him when he starts to flee.

I changed the lean buttons to Z and C.

edit: Just changed Quick Save to "Delete" and Quick Load to "Page Down". Seems symmetrical and not very likely to be pressed by accident. Also, I changed X to the inventory button, as it's probably going to get used a lot and it's way quicker and easier to find and press than "I".

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 18, 2010

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

You do have to wonder who thought that ; was a good button for reload (and... whatever the original crouch button was. Not ctrl anyway). Probably the same guy who designed the IW interface.

What's a good setup for aug activation?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Son of a bitch! The Shifter mod takes away skill points when you perform the hilarious act of killing innocent children with GEP guns. I thought the Shifter mod was about making the game more fun.

VVV Looks like I'll be changing around my button config later on when I get some good augs. That keybind list you've got there looks really intuitive. I'll probably end up using something really close to that.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 18, 2010

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Xander77 posted:

You do have to wonder who thought that ; was a good button for reload (and... whatever the original crouch button was. Not ctrl anyway). Probably the same guy who designed the IW interface.

What's a good setup for aug activation?

I ended up with:

Tab - radar transparency
capslock - cloak
shift - speed
control - crouch
alt - turn off all augs
q - see through walls
e - regeneration
r - reload
f - light
x - aug screen
c - scope
z - Something else

I used Shifter so the energy-saving aug enabled itself whenever it would help. That feature is awesome.

Playing through DX is a lot different when you can use augmentations without moving your hands, especially the speed aug.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Is it possible to alter the shifter mod? I mean, can I make the lazer sight be perfectly still like it is in the vanilla game?

Also, which aug is more useful for a stealthy playthrough, Cloak or Radar Transparency? Will it do me more good to hide from people or from machines?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 18, 2010

Meliv
Nov 1, 2008
I missed the DXMP discussion but back when I was about 14 I made a map for my clan that was basically a long, wide and tall corridor with walls at either end that had player operated windows you could open and close to snipe the people at the other side whenever they opened their windows to take a pop at you. Also, there was a keypad that led to a secret room with a computer linked to security cameras all around the map so I could chill out in there and watch the fighting :smug:

After that idea I tried to make a massive office block for all the members of my clan so you could just idle your computer in there and chat like a 3d IRC. It was pretty sweet. Never finished it though.

God I miss the days of UnrealEd. Making content for games was so easy and fun

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The original keyboard layout grew on me, and I've really got no problem with it.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

GreatGreen posted:

Right click's use so Q and E can be lean. Though occasionally in a stealth-less playthrough I'll abandon those keys in favor of more aug hotkeys.

The only "unique" key binds in Deus Ex that I not only keep, but emulate in every other game I can, is the Quicksave and Quickload default binds. Numpad + and / is so much better than f5 and f9, seriously. I love being able to just reach out my mouse hand's thumb and tap them without taking my hands off any normal keys.

Jetsetlemming fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 18, 2010

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I want to use my G15's G keys for augs but sadly I don't think I have enough for them all with only one row. Shifter at least does some interesting things like calculating your overhead vs. savings when running Power Recirculator then activating it accordingly. I forget if it turns on Aqualung when you hit the water but if there's one thing I hope DX3 does it's use smart aug automation or at least emulate Crysis 1's style of double-tap activations.

Did Shifter change Synthetic Heart to offset the increased number of aug upgrades available through install canisters? Did it let you push augs to level 4? I think I might have cheat-installed it along with Power Recirculator and been a demigod.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 18, 2010

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
I sort of don't feel like abusing augs is all that game-breaking, at least playing on realistic thus far. Sure, you can do a great, many things, but a headshot or a direct hit from something heavy will still TKO you instantly; it's a very fair balance between having it all, (your password is bionicman), and still facing worthy challenge.

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009
Oh God loving DAMMIT

Just picked up the phone in Paris. Icarus saying 'I'm right behind you, Mister Denton,' made my skin crawl, and I physically reached for my cane while looking behind me. gently caress, that's probably the most creeped-out I've been in my life by a movie or game, and I can't believe I'm just seeing it on my third run-through.

A good boy
Apr 9, 2010

by Ozma
Both Deus Ex and Invisible war is 9.99 Euro on steam. Deus Ex still sells well I guess, going to purchase it myself now. (not invisible war though)

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Is it bad I only just worked out Tenton is Ten Ton? I'm kicking myself here.

There's nothing I could say about Deus Ex that hasn't been said before, but people who hate the first level are wrong and stupid and probably smell of wee.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
First level is actually a lot better in terms of layout than a lot of the mazily boring and completely interchangeable corridor-crawls you have to deal with later.

Just beat the game for the first time. Loved Bob Page's voice acting, very compelling. I'm not sure I'd want Denton to minister over the rest of the known world though; for all the gravitas his monotone voice lends, he doesn't seem to be beyond the pale as far as brains go, which is a point in his favor as far as protag, but a bit of a minus as far as god-king.

Suuure.

Kzuri
Apr 9, 2009

BAM BAM BAM
I have a lovely netbook with like 800mhz atom cpu, 2gb ram and vista, will deus ex play on it?

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!

Le Sean posted:

First level is actually a lot better in terms of layout than a lot of the mazily boring and completely interchangeable corridor-crawls you have to deal with later.

Yeah, I thought it reached a high point in Hong Kong and then got worse. I suspect they were running out of time/money towards the end and had to make cuts.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
I could probably run Deus Ex on a couple crackers assuming I bought the carton withing the last few years.

You're running Vista?

What a shame.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Bob Page: I WILL BURN LIKE THE BRIGHTEST STAR

JC: You're gonna burn alright

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Le Sean posted:

Just beat the game for the first time. Loved Bob Page's voice acting, very compelling. I'm not sure I'd want Denton to minister over the rest of the known world though; for all the gravitas his monotone voice lends, he doesn't seem to be beyond the pale as far as brains go, which is a point in his favor as far as protag, but a bit of a minus as far as god-king.

Suuure.

I...

We...

Yesss....

He's not exactly dumb ol' JC anymore.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Songbearer posted:

Is it bad I only just worked out Tenton is Ten Ton? I'm kicking myself here.

There's nothing I could say about Deus Ex that hasn't been said before, but people who hate the first level are wrong and stupid and probably smell of wee.

Oh hell, I always thought it was Tent-on.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Powercrazy posted:

If you haven't done it yet, I suggest a low-tech play-throuhg. No rifles, no pistols, no-computers, no multitools. Grenades, and melee and stealth, the whole way.

My very first playthrough of the game on the PS2 port was this, mostly because I found it hilarious that people could be knocked unconscious from a hearty slap on the rear end once your low-tech weapon skill was high enough.

Zalb
Oct 12, 2009

Who do you think you ARE?
The greatest poster to ever grace the internet with your PRESENCE?!
This thread inspired me to complete my old playthrough and boy are my nanobots tired!

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Kzuri posted:

I have a lovely netbook with like 800mhz atom cpu, 2gb ram and vista, will deus ex play on it?
Doubt the CPU will present a problem, although it might tax your netbook's graphics hardware a bit. You probably won't be getting a constant 60 fps framerate, but I expect it'll be quite playable.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Le Sean posted:

Suuure.
He's not there to supply brain-power - a mega-AI doesn't really need a human for that. He's there to supply a human perspective and morals and stuff.

Which could be a problem, depending on how you played him.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Shumagorath posted:

Did Shifter change Synthetic Heart to offset the increased number of aug upgrades available through install canisters? Did it let you push augs to level 4? I think I might have cheat-installed it along with Power Recirculator and been a demigod.

Shifter's version of the Synthetic Heart lets you take augmentations up to level 5, but it can't be upgraded to reduce power consumption, like the vanilla version. Of course, since it can't be upgraded, that means that there are more than enough upgrades in the game to take everything up to level 4 naturally.

It's also possible (I believe) to get both the Recirculator and the Heart without cheating by getting lucky with the RNG. When you kill Gunther in Shifter he drops an aug canister that holds the Skull Gun. I believe that the other aug it contains is completely random, so there's a chance of it carrying either the Recirculator or the Aug, and then you can install the other one (probably over Environmental Protection) and run around with both. There might be a bit code to prevent this from happening, though, I can't say for sure.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Xander77 posted:

He's not there to supply brain-power - a mega-AI doesn't really need a human for that. He's there to supply a human perspective and morals and stuff.

Which could be a problem, depending on how you played him.

What a shame.

My JC Denton would be a bad influence on AI morals :(

"Sir! The AI that rules the world is... high on zyme?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

That's one happy fucking egg!
I wish that Deus Ex had a proper autosave. I played all the way through the first Hells Kitchen segment, including rescuing Ford Schick, only to blow myself up with a LAW while trying to open the door to the warehouse. "This'll save on lockpicks!" :haw: